The Evolution of Combat: BETA discussion

Leon S

Is there any chance of beta worlds without armour/weapon venders, so you don't just get people running around in Nex armours they can't afford in the real game, as this would give a wider variety of testing.

Will we be given an option to have our Chaotic weaponry refunded, and/or will Goliaths be fixed to not make chaotic maul useless?

Two main ones on my mind atm, might edit in more later.

• Like 1

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Question for livestream:

Any plans on retaining a prayer bonus for certain armors, considering the prayer drain is very high in the EoC?

EDIT: I hear this has been fixed?

Legion.gif

Achieved quest (07/08/2009), woodcutting (28/06/2010), attack (21/07/2010), strength + constitution (07/08/2010), defence (26/09/2010), summoning (13/01/2011), herblore (03/03/2011), cook (31/08/2012), firemaking (01/09/2012), magic (08/09/2012), prayer (16/09/2012) and ranged (29/10/2012) capes.

Sorry for all the annoying questions, but I've just had another thought... if other armour no longer provides offensive bonuses and void/Barrows sets are keeping their effects, isn't Void strictly the best gear now unless you need the defense? In particular, void magic's 30% accuracy boost might be worth it for the loss of HP even compared to Virtus. Same might be true of void range to a lesser extent, although that's already amazing.

Surely Mage/range armour will keep its offensive bonuses?

zerker_jane.png

99 farm easy

Sorry for all the annoying questions, but I've just had another thought... if other armour no longer provides offensive bonuses and void/Barrows sets are keeping their effects, isn't Void strictly the best gear now unless you need the defense? In particular, void magic's 30% accuracy boost might be worth it for the loss of HP even compared to Virtus. Same might be true of void range to a lesser extent, although that's already amazing.

Pretty sure that would fall under the clause of "only works on auto attacks lul". Haven't done any testing but that's where I'd put my money.

Weapons are the only items that give damage and accuracy far as I know, although rings, necklaces and capes can give crit bonus.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Weapons are the only items that give damage and accuracy far as I know, although rings, necklaces and capes can give crit bonus.

So a 1 def account can hit as hard as a 99 def account?

zerker_jane.png

99 farm easy

Well, that was always the case. With melee basically all the bonuses came from the weapon. (Defenders, yeah yeah yeah...) Also, armour has never really given much if any damage bonus. (A few amulets without def reqs did.) Sure, with mage/range you'd lose out on a lot of accuracy because you couldn't wield the armour, but you could still use the weapon/spell and do max damage.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Max strength bonus gained from 99 def would be something like bcp/torva plate/torso +4 tassets/torva legs + 3, goliaths +6 (best 1 def glove for str bonus being regen?) berserker/neitz helm +3, dfs(lol)+7 or more likely +6 from dragon defender, and dragon/steadfast boots +4 for a total of 27/26 disregarding pvp gear. All of the offensive bonuses on these (save goliaths as they are becoming lvl 80 2h weapons) will be removed and defence shouldn't have any bearing on how much you can hit.

However, defense now has a huge meaning in how much you can take, so it is at least as important as your offensive power is.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

They boosted Constitution to give 40LP per level now, so you'll die in one hit in the event that your Constitution is around 35 or lower.

Depends on what you're being attacked with :). Potted Augury Wild Magic can still one shot you most likely. (at 99 constitution)

El Psy Congroo.

Yes, but that doesn't happen until late game when you're on a roll murdering everyone in sight, a much better situation than being able to 1 hit everyone at the c5 spot at 19 minutes.

Question for livestream:

Any plans on retaining a prayer bonus for certain armors, considering the prayer drain is very high in the EoC?

EDIT: I hear this has been fixed?

Fixed a long time ago.

Void gives accuracy as well. It's the only armor to do so.

Well, that was always the case. With melee basically all the bonuses came from the weapon. (Defenders, yeah yeah yeah...) Also, armour has never really given much if any damage bonus. (A few amulets without def reqs did.) Sure, with mage/range you'd lose out on a lot of accuracy because you couldn't wield the armour, but you could still use the weapon/spell and do max damage.

No it wasn't, armour gave a very big boost in damage.

However, defense now has a huge meaning in how much you can take, so it is at least as important as your offensive power is.

I don't think so, I'm 112 FTP combat in normal rs but 146 combat in beta, the same level as somebody who is 90 or so FTP combat in normal rs. I.E easy kills.

zerker_jane.png

99 farm easy

Excluding void, which I should have mentioned and defenders, there is very little in terms of armour that boosts your damage. Also, I'm ignoring amulets since I was talking about the offensive capabilities of a 1 def account vs a 99 def account. Other then void and defenders, all armour (with defense requirements) that give offensive boosts come almost exclusively from the godwars dungeon.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Excluding void, which I should have mentioned and defenders, there is very little in terms of armour that boosts your damage. Also, I'm ignoring amulets since I was talking about the offensive capabilities of a 1 def account vs a 99 def account. Other then void and defenders, all armour (with defense requirements) that give offensive boosts come almost exclusively from the godwars dungeon.

Helm of Neitiznot +3 str

Bandos chestplate +4 str

Bandos tassets +2 str

Dragon boots +4 str

Dragon defender +6 str

Barrows gloves +12 str

That's a pretty significant boost to damage.

Don't forget that accuracy is incredibly important. Mages and rangers are especially disadvantaged at a low defence level, as much of their attack bonuses come from armor. In the case of pure vs. pure, accuracy is much less important because they both have non-existent defences. But the whole idea of pures is to beat non-specialized "main accounts", making magic/range much less useful against them.

I think the whole idea of pures is dumb. A balanced fighter should be able to outlast them in the long term, but it seems most PKing has degraded to "jump into Edgeville, try to kill someone within two attacks, run away to safety if food is depleted". Edgeville pking also reduces the usefulness of mages, as a good mage is supposed to trap the opponent, and wear them down with powerful, consistent spell damage. But when safety is two steps away in the low wilderness, the entire idea of PKing revolves around killing someone instantly with a lucky special.

Long story short: I'm glad they're fixing this shitty combat system we have currently.

• Like 1

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

Helm of Neitiznot +3 str

Bandos chestplate +4 str

Bandos tassets +2 str

Dragon boots +4 str

Dragon defender +6 str

Barrows gloves +12 str

That's a pretty significant boost to damage.

Don't forget that accuracy is incredibly important. Mages and rangers are especially disadvantaged at a low defence level, as much of their attack bonuses come from armor. In the case of pure vs. pure, accuracy is much less important because they both have non-existent defences. But the whole idea of pures is to beat non-specialized "main accounts", making magic/range much less useful against them.

I think the whole idea of pures is dumb. A balanced fighter should be able to outlast them in the long term, but it seems most PKing has degraded to "jump into Edgeville, try to kill someone within two attacks, run away to safety if food is depleted". Edgeville pking also reduces the usefulness of mages, as a good mage is supposed to trap the opponent, and wear them down with powerful, consistent spell damage. But when safety is two steps away in the low wilderness, the entire idea of PKing revolves around killing someone instantly with a lucky special.

Long story short: I'm glad they're fixing this shitty combat system we have currently.

Pures are stronger in the new combat system. And balanced fighters suck in PVP outside of clan wars/castle wars.

zerker_jane.png

99 farm easy