The Evolution of Combat: BETA discussion

Leon S

I can't help but think that there are so many "place holder" stats for these items. And yet because of that I feel we are still far off from going live.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

They should have done what they do best, ignore them.

Not going to disagree. Most of the complaints were from people that didn't understand that the sets were boosted to level 75.

Also:

Combat Beta Events – Extended Schedule

1 day ago

Beta testers among you will know that, previously, thresholds would generate adrenaline. Now, they drain a percentage of your adrenaline bar. This is a change that we feel will encourage tactical usage of thresholds and basic abilities. We’d love to know what you think, so there has never been a better time to jump into the beta worlds and try it out. Don’t forget that all members can access the beta servers at weekends, so there's no reason not to try out this significant change to the ever-evolving combat system!

madscientist_thumb-05171021.png

RuneScape members will recall that we are providing a Mad Scientist outfit at the end of the beta period to members who completed specific tasks in four previous beta weekend events.

We’ve been reading your feedback about this, and we’ve seen quite a few people say that they missed just one event and are hugely disappointed that they now don’t qualify for the outfit.

With this in mind, we have planned four future events. The first starts this weekend, from Friday 14 September, and then every other weekend through to 29 October.

If you missed out on any of the previous events, completing events from these new four will allow you to make up the difference. As long as you're a member and you complete at least four out of the eight events, you'll qualify for the Mad Scientist outfit!

We’ll let you know what each of the new events is and the unlock criteria nearer the time, but for now you’ll want to know what the coming weekend event is all about, and it’s nice and simple!

Just complete one duel at the Duel Arena. It doesn’t matter if you win or lose – just be there when the duel outcome is known!

The Duel Arena is a great place to try out the new adrenaline/threshold mechanic – and with the cool beta tester outfit up for grabs, this promises to be an unmissable combat-fuelled weekend.

See you in the beta!

The RuneScape Community Team

http://services.runescape.com/m=news/combat-beta-events--extended-schedule

Barrows should be weaker than GW gear. GW gear is a lot more expensive, and requires a lot more work. Without the other bonuses (like ranged attack, mage attack, mage % dmg, or str bonus) it becomes useless. It would have the same stats as the other armors and only value being non-degrade.

I liked when it was lv75 tier, it was nice to have all those tiers exist.

I agree, especially with the bolded part. Part of me wonders if barrows at 80, Nex at 90 might work, but I'd rather see new weapons/armour every 5 levels instead of every 10, especially at higher levels where leveling takes a lot longer.

Or a response to complaints about GWD armor being stronger than Barrows/close to Nex gear. Those were surprisingly common before.

Nex gear should have received a significant buff, as it was ridiculous that 30m a set gear was almost as good as 500m a set gear. Instead of choosing the obvious solution, Jagex brainstormed about the stupidest possible solution to the problem and rolled with that.

I dunno. I see no problem with Nex gear being 500m and only slightly better then a 30m set. Player with money will still pay a fortune for the best set.

To be honest tho, considering how hard Nex gear is to get, changing it to 90 probably wouldn't hurt.

So I tried to do God Wars for the first time at EoC. I died and lost full Torva, Fury, Zerker(i), and about 300k in pots, while getting my 10 killcount on Goblins. I am not sure if the Goblins are on 'roids or I am just terribad. After going back and getting my KC, I ended up getting Bandos boots.

I was using the various abilities based on their descriptions, for example, I would use the ability which stuns the enemy, then I would use the one which does additional damage to stunned enemies, then I would do DoT abilities, until I could do my best ability. I still did horrible.

Oh man. That's a harsh blow... Good luck getting that all back =/

ohwaititsbeta

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Or a response to complaints about GWD armor being stronger than Barrows/close to Nex gear. Those were surprisingly common before.

Nex gear should have received a significant buff, as it was ridiculous that 30m a set gear was almost as good as 500m a set gear. Instead of choosing the obvious solution, Jagex brainstormed about the stupidest possible solution to the problem and rolled with that.

I think the real problem here is that level 80 gear costs 500m.

• Like 1

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

It's based on the cost of hunting Nex and the drop rate. Only Jagex can change those things. I imagine that with the release of level 90 equipment, Nex will get a lot easier and cheaper and her drops will go down. 100-200m per set is a price jump comparable to that of Barrows/dragon to Bandos/Armadyl etc..

• Like 1

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Quyneax is right but forgot one other portion, it's also due to which players want Nex gear (supply and demand) supply is low because it's difficult to hunt nex, and the drops are rare. But if no one wanted it, it wouldn't be nearly as expensive simply because no one would buy it. If 90 lvl gear is released, nex will go down simply because people who have it will sell and buy the new gear (or sell and obtain the new gear if it's from something like player owned ports)

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

I think atm the bottleneck in the price is the supply, not the demand. That is, it's a seller's market, due to the low supply. There is little reason to Nex when QBD and Kiln are so much more rewarding. The main reason prices are the way they are is that the current balance is the lowest (fairly stable) point where people still bother.

In other news, sighted magic longbows are very badass in the beta right now. Not accurate (550 hit bonus, Zaryte has 800) and not so fast (average, Zaryte has fast) but a lot of damage (~2k damage, Zaryte has ~1500).

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

That level 80 gear is the highest tier of gear currently available. Of course there's going to be huge demand for it. Once level 90 and 99 sets are made available, sure level 80 req gear should drop sharply. The best of anything is always going to be significantly more expensive.

Asmodean <3

Kind of a stupid question, but if you die and lose your stuff in Beta, do you lose it in the real game too?

No.

Your real account and beta account don't interact in any way, nothing you do in the beta will change your real account.

• Like 1
Byzantus.png

That level 80 gear is the highest tier of gear currently available. Of course there's going to be huge demand for it. Once level 90 and 99 sets are made available, sure level 80 req gear should drop sharply. The best of anything is always going to be significantly more expensive.

Then they should release that gear instead of demoting gwd armor.

• Like 1

Looks like they changed spell damage scaling. Spell damage now increases by two every level, and low level spells no longer deal more damage than high level spells. Good.

Importantly, what does this mean for Divine Storm/SoA?

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Looks like they changed spell damage scaling. Spell damage now increases by two every level, and low level spells no longer deal more damage than high level spells. Good.

Divine Storm is inferior to Air Wave. SoA is inferior to Polypore Strike. But SoA still does the most damage if you use the ABS for the 10% damage increase.

Divine Storm is inferior to Air Wave. SoA is inferior to Polypore Strike. But SoA still does the most damage if you use the ABS for the 10% damage increase.

How does the DPS compare between SoA with the Armadyl Battlestaff and SoA with the Virtus wand and book?

Hope they make the displaying total level thing optional in the situations it's shown so you can have your combat level shown if you wish. What a dumb update if not.

If your weapon is not sheathed, you will display your combat. If it is sheathed, you will display your total level.

Combat level is displayed upon entering combat if total level is shown before entering combat.

Hope they make the displaying total level thing optional in the situations it's shown so you can have your combat level shown if you wish. What a dumb update if not.

If your weapon is not sheathed, you will display your combat. If it is sheathed, you will display your total level.

Combat level is displayed upon entering combat if total level is shown before entering combat.

I know, "in the situations it's shown" I said.

zerker_jane.png

99 farm easy

If you don't want total shown just unsheathe your weapon. Problem solved.

I don't see why so many people some how think it's bad to show total opposed to combat outside of combat context. I mean combat level is like the most of irrelevant bit of information about your character ever when you aren't fighting something; heck even in pvm it's kinda meaningless because no-one *needs* to know it other than you about the only circumstance it really is truly vital is pvp.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

It's ironic that level 3 skillers will now have to draw their weapons to retain any of their "prestige".

• Like 4

How does the DPS compare between SoA with the Armadyl Battlestaff and SoA with the Virtus wand and book?

Using a staff would be 110% more damage. Dual casting sucks, right now.

If you don't want total shown just unsheathe your weapon. Problem solved.

I don't see why so many people some how think it's bad to show total opposed to combat outside of combat context. I mean combat level is like the most of irrelevant bit of information about your character ever when you aren't fighting something; heck even in pvm it's kinda meaningless because no-one *needs* to know it other than you about the only circumstance it really is truly vital is pvp.

Yeah but my outfit looks better with sheathed weapons >.>.

It's not bad at all, it's a good idea, as long as it's optional.

zerker_jane.png

99 farm easy

Sorry for all the annoying questions, but I've just had another thought... if other armour no longer provides offensive bonuses and void/Barrows sets are keeping their effects, isn't Void strictly the best gear now unless you need the defense? In particular, void magic's 30% accuracy boost might be worth it for the loss of HP even compared to Virtus. Same might be true of void range to a lesser extent, although that's already amazing.

On September 23rd, Jagex is doing another livestream event - this time it's about the EoC. (Read more here. )

We figured we'd reach out to Mod SteveW who works with the fansites to give him our questions. It's not a guarantee they'll be answered because of how busy he and those running the livestream are, but we figured it's worth a shot.

So if you have any questions that you'd like to be sent to Mod SteveW for the EOC Live Stream session next Sunday, please post them here! Probably looking to send him an email Wednesday at the latest.

Try to be as specific as you can!

hzvjpwS.gif