Mod MMG on RuneScape Micro-Payments

Veiva

IVP didn't make GameGuard, or order it made. Maplestory also doesn't use GG anymore and hasn't for a while. They use HackShield now. I know that, and I haven't played Maplestory since the beta days. (Mark of the Beta baby, yeahhh)

GameGuard didn't do jack shit to prevent botting, I think is what Den's original point was for how effective the new botbreaking update would be. They're nowhere near as bad as they used to be in the current game.

Yeah, I know GameGuard wasn't requested made by IVP. What I meant was they are probably using technology from it (or HackShield, I haven't played MapleStory in years) and calling it Jagex Account Guardian.

I'm already annoyed with all the cool aesthetic content that only people who pay get. I know some people only care about stats and useful stuff, but for me, and I'm sure a lot of people, having a cool skiller oufit, access to all emotes, etc, is something I want. People will work hard just so they can have ibis, or necromancer, and other outfits. And now I can't have the new stuff because it's all about money, and no amount of talk will change that. That part is already ruined. If they started adding stuff with competitive stats, at this point it would just be adding insult to injury. I bet he's not adding that stuff just 'cause he knows we would all ragequit.

Same boat as I'm in. I want all the unlockables, but I'm not folding over hundreds of dollars for it. If microtransactions are added, I feel there should at least be a way for people to get the stuff without buying it.

I am actually pretty familiar with Gameguard, not from MapleStory (it's not the only game that uses it) but from other MMO's I have played.

It's also notoriously bad at preventing cheaters and is despised by a large population of players that are forced to use it for certain software. If Jagex actually do use Gameguard I can't see it being particularly useful in the long run.

Didn't know it was used by others than Nexon. I hope Jagex have a better alternative to it at least.

The html5 engine sounds intriguign given how many things they have said they can/have done techwise on their in-house engine but couldn't roll out yet (presumably in part due to html5 support being patchy even among the big browsers til fairly recently) things like distance loading opposed to loading breaks, breaking away from grid based building/movement etc.

Other platforms sounds intriguing, but doubt it'll be much good. Can't imagine rs being all that playable on a device without a mouse (and a keyboard once EoC goes live)

Looking forward to seeing how this pans out and nice to see some reassurance that they do not intend to sell true in-game advantages etc, if they keep to that and are using this new revenue to make rs better I think I can tolerate the sof/soloman spam every week.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Because the head of Runescape (technically Head Content Designer Mark Ogilvie, Mod Mark, by the looks of it) is not the one who released this statement. It was the head of Jagex, Chief Executive Officer Mark Gerhard.

Who was talking about Runescape's microtransaction model and its future. Not Funorb's.

And yet he wasn't talking solely about Runescape's micro transaction future. Last I've seen, graphic and game engine upgrades aren't even remotely related to micro transactions, and account security isn't related to Runescape only. Although I admit that I went a bit far with the Funorb think, I'd like to see an acknowledgement of what they've learned from Funorb, seeing that it seemed to have been abandoned for a while now, and knowing Jagex, all of this "Future Tech" will go the way of Funorb and 8Realms.

22031_s.gif

nice to see some reassurance that they do not intend to sell true in-game advantages etc

They also said real life wealth would never affect your gameplay. Look how that turned out.
  • Like 1

nice to see some reassurance that they do not intend to sell true in-game advantages etc

They also said real life wealth would never affect your gameplay. Look how that turned out.

I know, but still with this reassurance we can kinda have hope that the current ceo etc won't do it for a good few years at least.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

For that reason I'm choosing to ignore the PR bs for the hard deadlines he offered us as well as promised content. As a user, that's all I really care about at the end of the day. What are they doing for me, when can I expect it, and is there any interesting content coming out in the future that we can speculate on?

He did that, which is why this newspost was much more successful than the last one of its kind.

hzvjpwS.gif

Same boat as I'm in. I want all the unlockables, but I'm not folding over hundreds of dollars for it. If microtransactions are added, I feel there should at least be a way for people to get the stuff without buying it

I think they should take a page out of LoL's book and make the solomon/sof stuff available to everyone but through a slower way or after a certain amount of time has passed. Eg. you get points for doing stuff like gaining xp, playing minigames, killing bosses, or whatever. And then you can spend them on what you want. Or after a year has passed, the items become free and everyone can get them. Or after a year has passed they are added to loyalty shop, etc. The current system is way too extreme considering we're already paying monthly. I mean, really.

2480+ total

Same boat as I'm in. I want all the unlockables, but I'm not folding over hundreds of dollars for it. If microtransactions are added, I feel there should at least be a way for people to get the stuff without buying it

I think they should take a page out of LoL's book and make the solomon/sof stuff available to everyone but through a slower way or after a certain amount of time has passed. Eg. you get points for doing stuff like gaining xp, playing minigames, killing bosses, or whatever. And then you can spend them on what you want. Or after a year has passed, the items become free and everyone can get them. Or after a year has passed they are added to loyalty shop, etc. The current system is way too extreme considering we're already paying monthly. I mean, really.

But doesn't the stuff in LoL give actual gameplay advantages? That would probably be why they're also available to non-payers, albeit harder to obtain. Runescape's microtransactions are only cosmetic, and don't affect gameplay, therefore there's no real reason to allow everyone to get them for free.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

But doesn't the stuff in LoL give actual gameplay advantages? That would probably be why they're also available to non-payers, albeit harder to obtain. Runescape's microtransactions are only cosmetic, and don't affect gameplay, therefore there's no real reason to allow everyone to get them for free.

Good point, no reason to only restrict them to payers though. We all pay for membership we should be entitled to everything.

• Like 1

zerker_jane.png

99 farm easy

Oh, come on. Why do you got to be so negative :/ ?

Certainly there have been broken promises. But at least give them a chance. I don't think they're so incredibly stupid they will actually start selling in-game advantages. Even though they're certainly not far from it now, this post have at least restored some of my faith in Jagex. Let's all hope they keep these promises now. Such a long time player like you, Den, should hope for this. Just as much as myself that too have been around for some years now.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Wait...are we not including bank boosters as in-game advantages? surely a player having extra bank spaces to hold more items would be an advantage over a player without the extra bank space, even though they've confirmed the bank boosters are coming to Loyalty Points Shop (although the price has yet to be confirmed, easily going to be in the 50k+ region I could imagine).

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

TFUsig2_zpsc5e7f1a4.png

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.

Certainly there have been broken promises. But at least give them a chance. I don't think they're so incredibly stupid they will actually start selling in-game advantages. Even though they're certainly not far from it now, this post have at least restored some of my faith in Jagex. Let's all hope they keep these promises now. Such a long time player like you, Den, should hope for this. Just as much as myself that too have been around for some years now.

I'm a tad confused by this bit. "I don't think they're so incredibly stupid they will actually start selling in-game advantages."

Really? Did SoF skip your memory, or does 800k/hr agility not count as an ingame advantage in your book?

Asmodean <3

I'm a tad confused by this bit. "I don't think they're so incredibly stupid they will actually start selling in-game advantages."

Really? Did SoF skip your memory, or does 800k/hr agility not count as an ingame advantage in your book?

Wa?

zerker_jane.png

99 farm easy

Wait...are we not including bank boosters as in-game advantages? surely a player having extra bank spaces to hold more items would be an advantage over a player without the extra bank space, even though they've confirmed the bank boosters are coming to Loyalty Points Shop (although the price has yet to be confirmed, easily going to be in the 50k+ region I could imagine).

I don't think most are because unless you are an utter horder you can stockpile for like every skill and content in-game you can easily have hundreds of free bank space. Plus how does having more junk *really* make you better than a user without it? A bank space doesn't give you better stats or gear. It won't make you gain xp faster. It won't make you earn gp faster. It won't make you better at pvp or pvm. It may make things easier for you personally in terms of hoarding, but it doesn't give you any sort of edge over other people really.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

How many people actually take that advantage?

I'm guessing not many. But at least one or two will, and more will in the future. It comes down to the idea of the integrity of your achievements; if someone else can just buy it, what's the point.

Asmodean <3

How many people actually take that advantage?

I'm guessing not many. But at least one or two will, and more will in the future. It comes down to the idea of the integrity of your achievements; if someone else can just buy it, what's the point.

How does SOF give you 800k xp/hour in agility specifically?

zerker_jane.png

99 farm easy

I never got into Lol, but I thought their CS was cosmetic only? I guess that changed. Either way we're already paying for membership, we should have access to everything. Jagex is just greedy for trying to make us pay both ways on a 10+ year old game no less.

2480+ total

I never got into Lol, but I thought their CS was cosmetic only? I guess that changed. Either way we're already paying for membership, we should have access to everything. Jagex IVPex is just greedy for trying to make us pay both ways on a 10+ year old game no less.

Fixed. :P

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

TFUsig2_zpsc5e7f1a4.png

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.

Indeed. The last time someone did a "test" they came out with something like 1/4 of that.

Admittedly, that's still much more than training it would give, but that's another problem entirely.

I never got into Lol, but I thought their CS was cosmetic only? I guess that changed. Either way we're already paying for membership, we should have access to everything. Jagex is just greedy for trying to make us pay both ways on a 10+ year old game no less.

LoL's system allows you to buy characters and other enhancements that minorly boost you. However everything non-cosmetic can be obtained if you have enough time. Generally speaking, buying characters just unlocks them permanently but they are on rotation so anyone can play them some of the time. You can also speed up the time to reach max player level and you can buy amulets and other items that give minor boosts (all of which can be earned through playing as well) Basically, it's "Pay to Win sooner"

Indeed. The last time someone did a "test" they came out with something like 1/4 of that.

Admittedly, that's still much more than training it would give, but that's another problem entirely.

If you were allowed to buy any number of spins, you can get far greater than 200k/hr. I believe based on experience that it is >1m xp/hr spinning if you had infinite spins. (especially with the addition of hotkeys to spam through them faster)

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Good to hear new content coming, specificly HTML5 upport, really want to see what they can do with the draw distance, and if it will heavily decrease the FPs or anthng like that.

As for Microtransactions, the wheel bothers me a bit, more for the exp part of course, they could definitly tone down the lamps a bit, or replace it with necklaces since with those you actually have to do something tog et the exp.

I am personally perfectly okay with the SGS. Even with the bank space selling, it will be available on the Loyalty shop later. SGS is microtransactions done well, at least for now.