Runescape Permadeath Server

Donnie

Imagine for a second that Jagex released a permadeath server to runescape. This server starts you off fresh with no stats or wealth being transfered between your regular and permadeath account. In this server if you die your character is completely wiped clean and you go back to lumbridge as a level 3 with no items in your bank and no quests completed. To make this even more extreme this is also a fully pvp server, meaning the whole world is multiperson pvp zoned so you can get piled by a clan at any time. The exception to this rule is entire cities are pvp free as are "civilization zones" such as guilds are pvp free. Guards/NPCs in cities are unattackable and unpickpocketable meaning that you would have to go out into danger to train virtually every skill. I would also imagine that skil training activities give 100% more exp (iron ore may give 100 xp per ore instead of just 50) and skills cost half as much xp to level up (so level 99 is only 6.5m xp instead of 13m)

Now imagine the gameplay this would bring, the risk of permadeath to mine that inventory of copper or the risk of permadeath while doing the cooks assistant. The rewards being the quest rewards and the addition of a wider world such as access to morytania and a new safety area of Canfis by doing Priest in Peril. On the other hand some quests would be so risky that they may be considered feats of strength if completed, (im looking at you Nomad!).

The question here is would you play this? Do you think it would be a successful addition to runescape? Would it add new and interesting gameplay elements to those who wish to see it?

Feel free to discuss the possibility of Permadeath in runescape and how you would want to see it implemented if it was being considered by Jagex

• Like 1

No. There is too much grind to have it all thrown away by some random PKer so I'd have to start all over again.

• Like 5

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I agree with Makoto, there is too much grind to get back up, and it would only be fun for those at the top or who are in large clans.

• Like 1

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Part of what I hoped would add flavor to this. Clan membership would almost be a requirement and wars between clans would not be taken lightly. Plus I did throw out a 100% increase in xp and 100% decrease in xp cost to level.

But part of what is to be hoped for IS the change in player behavior. A max cape would amost certainly not be attained by players here, but rather only the necessary survival skills would even be considered.

• Like 1

I love rogue-likes, I'd go for a server like this as long as exp gain was boosted significantly.

Agreed. This would be an awesome idea if there was much faster xp gain. In War of Legends (Chinese developed, Jagex published browser game) there's such a thing as "speed servers" where you gain experience, build structure, train troops etc. at 10x the normal rate. I think 10x would be pretty fair to have on a perma-death Runescape server.

Perhaps there shouldn't be world-wide PvP, however. At least have a number of safe training spots where new characters can train in peace without getting ganked. If the permadeath servers were 100% PvP, I'd imagine they would degrade to a mass of level 3's killing each other just outside of Lumbridge.

P.S. There should be a list of achievements that persist even after permadeath. Perhaps there could be a book that tells you all the quests you've completed, the highest you got your skills, what the best items you ever had were etc. That way you have something big to strive for that can never be taken away from you. Perhaps skillcapes themselves would carry over between lives. Imagine seeing someone with a quest cape on a permadeath server.

• Like 1

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

I think this is one of those things that sounds great on paper, but doesn't really work out. Once people get sick of dying 10 times a day, they'll go back to the regular servers. Eventually, no one will be left.

Maybe make it a comp req.

• Like 3

No. That's why I left the minecraft server I participated in. I'd maybe try it out if there was no Pvp. Honestly at this point my investment in normal rs would make it feel like a waste of time to start over in rs hardcore mode. If this were an option ~6.5 years ago with the promise of ~5x drop rates, xp gain etc, I may have gone for it.

Something (a cape, this being rs after all) to mark that an account has never died may be neat. But even that's rather broken as sometimes dying is a choice to make something more convenient (ie book of char)

VJH7N9F.png

zuzmo.png 

Smart people would play it safe. Stay close to towns, ready to eat and run back. Teleport at the first sign of people. The game would become boring as you'd be forced to be cautious all the time. Eventually you'd become strong and dominate, until you messed up and died. At which point I suspect you ragequit instead of going through the cautious grinding phase again. I suspect normal people would get killed quite quickly, not bothering being insanely cautious, and quit after a few deaths. The server would become deserted quickly I think. Nobody wants to deal with griefers and then having all your progress destroyed on top of that.

• Like 1

2480+ total

Since rs has been systematically designed to largely retain trolls in the playerbase (as the more aware and friendless make the choice to leave rs more readily than those who do not give two potatoes about the actual game but enjoy preying on the weak), this would rapidly fall into lord of the flies level of governance. If they made a big promotion about it and got everybody in to try it so that they all see what happens afterwards, such a move would backfire for them as far as pr goes.

8f14270694.jpg

Smart people would play it safe. Stay close to towns, ready to eat and run back. Teleport at the first sign of people. The game would become boring as you'd be forced to be cautious all the time. Eventually you'd become strong and dominate, until you messed up and died. At which point I suspect you ragequit instead of going through the cautious grinding phase again. I suspect normal people would get killed quite quickly, not bothering being insanely cautious, and quit after a few deaths. The server would become deserted quickly I think. Nobody wants to deal with griefers and then having all your progress destroyed on top of that.

Dayz without hackers. But the griefers will be delt with by clans. Clans would be cautious with each other because warfare means permadeath. But yeah you are fairly right about what you think will happen overly cautious and then stupid death and rage. If banks are storage in that city only I can even see runners becoming a profitable business.

Its a different game design to RS then most are used to but I think it can succeed with significantly higher xp rates a funner early game leveling system and an audience that knows what their getting into.

But the griefers will be delt with by clans

DayZ still has its share of griefers, xloggers, etc even with clan structures on big servers. Why would the same not hold true here?

to solo players yes, solo or small squads of griefers will be a problem. Plus the alt F4 people come from poor game mechanics in dayz. RS has solved that by no logout during combat. Also dayz servers are <64 players plus since it is more of a sandbox you need to be spread out preventing the clan influence that say early runescape had.

What I think would be interesting to see is a RuneScape Monster-Killing Weekend, where monsters do not respawn and you have to kill each of them to clear RuneScape from monsters! Having special worlds for that occasion where your character finds itself alone and others cant see you, leaving all monsters for you only to kill, would be required :P On those worlds we should not be able to do anything else than Killing monsters though...

What do you guys think? :P

• Like 1

w3bi.png

7ahl.pngZr.png1buy.png

eblo.png

"To make this even more extreme this is also a fully pvp server, meaning the whole world is multiperson pvp zoned so you can get piled by a clan at any time. The exception to this rule is entire cities are pvp free as are "civilization zones" such as guilds are pvp free. Guards/NPCs in cities are unattackable and unpickpocketable meaning that you would have to go out into danger to train virtually every skill."

No.

I absolutely love your creativity, but a gametype such as this is beyond approachable. Will never, could never, won't ever happen. If RuneScape went into the mode of creating servers specific to a group of people's gametypes, this would be a different story. HOWEVER, as the game is now, this will never happen.

Fun idea though :)

Edit: I feel I didn't answer the questions in the OP.

Would I play this? No. I've spent too much time on my account to waste time on a noob account that is basically a pure just to survive. I think it would be such a limited success to RuneScape that it wouldn't be worth the developer's time implementing. Yes, it sure as hell would add new interesting gameplay elements for the people who would like this addition to the game. The people wanting this are most likely in clans and are hoping to kill and loot normal players. Honestly.

nautica.png

nautica.png

Seems like more of a limited time thing to me:

Have a server up for a month only

Have x5 exp rates (or some other factor, just an example)

Worldwide PvP but single combat => no 'safe' training spots, might have to be creative.

No G.E, so no bulk resources to be bought (i.e. d bones).

Would only be a small niche, but hey.. RSC is still around.

Vmser.png

I think it would be such a limited success to RuneScape that it wouldn't be worth the developer's time implementing. Yes, it sure as hell would add new interesting gameplay elements for the people who would like this addition to the game. The people wanting this are most likely in clans and are hoping to kill and loot normal players. Honestly.

Maybe. Although the gameplay changes needed to make tihs successful might also be beneficial to real runescape. In such a server why would you train smithing aside from quests (if the quest is worth the risk anyways). The answer is you probably wouldn't since rune drops are common enough anyways.

For skills to be considered Jagex would have to make skill changes to benefit combat directly, ie: smithable armor padding or spikes for a defense or offense bonus. Would do wonders for both the regular game and the "hardcore mode" or changes to ways to level in early game to accomodate dying in a permadeath server and also improve the low level experience in real runescape.

Even if this idea isn't successful the benefits that can come from it can be enormously successful, much like lending system and GE are great changes brought by a disliked update the removal of free trade.

sounds like you're talking about the "Minecraft The Walls" server

Inspired by both minecraft, dayz among other games with this play style. I've haven't yet seen a runescape-eque game with it though

RS Classic was there in 2001...as earlier 2001 it was possible to play with full pvp area except lumby castle whic was only safe spot. Also there was no bank so couldnt go grab food or next armor set from there after death....i played 2 weeks in pvp mode but i died 0 times during that period mostly because i was in high 40s combat and most pkers were lower combat...few times got attacked but it didnt result any death...i was training mining and smithing so i had to sacrifice some inveentory slots for food and armor.

those that were higher level pkers usually didnt attack without reason so it was still somewhat peaceful to play....though i was more careful about what kind ppl coming around especially when they were skulled.

I like games with permadeath - knowing that just one little mistake can make me lose hours of work makes for a very interesting game experience. However, it doesn't really work if the game isn't planned around permadeath. There is so much content in RS which requires hundreds or thousands of hours of playing to access. It would be very hard to get even rune items if it was PvP everywhere.