5-Feb-2013 - Sinkholes + EoC Improvements

Saradomin_Mage

Doesn't matter what Jagex's intentions are. If the update is a "waste of time" that could be spent efficiently grinding, it'll be dead content.

Like you said, if the game offered bind rewards or something useful, people would play it. But it doesn't, so they don't, regardless of how fun it is.

Precisely my view here. And it is really quite sad. Fun shouldn't be all about efficiency, especially when it comes to updates like minigames and distractions and diversions. After all this type of update is for variation. The rewards might not be huge, but it is still a fun game to play. It includes strategy, fast decision-making and is a "minigame of a minigame" (dg is still not really a skill).

This game needs more people who can learn how to take a break and do something just for fun, with still decent rewards, for a few minutes. Certainly there are a lot of hourly/daily activities already, but just doing the same activities (the most rewarding ones) day after day is no fun. I do certainly repeat some dailies as well, but not without varying these with some distraction and diversions as well as minigames that I actually find fun every now and then.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Why do we still have to pretend that fun and efficiency can't go hand in hand?

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

I don't think anybody is saying otherwise...

But in cases such as this, when something fun (but inefficient) is competing against something that is not fun (but efficient), then the efficient choice is almost always favored. Which means the inefficient choice becomes dead content.

77yLQy8.png

There's got to be an unofficial world by now. If not, just edit the wikia claiming a world. No real need for a chat, but create that as well. Enough will believe it and go there.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

But in cases such as this, when something fun (but inefficient) is competing against something that is not fun (but efficient), then the efficient choice is almost always favored. Which means the inefficient choice becomes dead content.

And yet you're all still trying to make it seem as though there is a competition between the two.

Newsflash: Comp cape is RIDICULOUSLY inefficient. Lots of high level content? yeah, you guessed it, inefficient. So why are those efficiency goons trying to acquire all this inefficient stuff? go figure. And as far as i'm still aware of, the most popular minigame in game, the most popular minigame for what 8 years now, is still really popular... and has never had anything even remotely to do with efficiency.

• Like 1

Yes, because people have things that are more fun than Sinkholes that they can do. Efficient things are packed because it's the "best" way to play runescape. Sinkholes are not the "best" way to have fun.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Weren't you the one who turned the topic of the thread toward efficiency to begin with? :huh:

I'm sorry, i don't think you follow. The argument is that you don't need to make 'fun' content efficient for it to be popular. All they could have done is add rare drops of the mage/melee equivalent of hexhunter bow or maybe a level 90 hood and people would actually bother to show up. Right now, unless you want the costume, you are better off dungeoneering normally, unless you really, really like the game(which, as we can see, people don't).

Weren't you the one who turned the topic of the thread toward efficiency to begin with? :huh:

I'm sorry, i don't think you follow. The argument is that you don't need to make 'fun' content efficient for it to be popular. All they could have done is add rare drops of the mage/melee equivalent of hexhunter bow or maybe a level 90 hood and people would actually bother to show up. Right now, unless you want the costume, you are better off dungeoneering normally, unless you really, really like the game(which, as we can see, people don't).

You're absolutely correct. People would certainly play if it had rare drops, no matter how much I tell them that it's not worth it.

selling void 4 blood sweat and tears

I personally haven't tried this content, and probably won't due to cba syndrome

However, I do see that most of the most boring and dreadful content gives the best rewards, and vica versa. Jagex needs to take a step away from releasing absolute shit like livid farm and move into a more enjoyable vein....

Did ANY of you ENJOY maxing livid?

meamzed.png

However, I do see that most of the most boring and dreadful content gives the best rewards, and vica versa. Jagex needs to take a step away from releasing absolute shit like livid farm and move into a more enjoyable vein....

Do you really want me to answer that? :P

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

We here at jagex have been examining player feedback and considering Livid farm 2:Revelations, however we need some player imput.

Very little imput so far indicates that 110% of players enjoyed livid farm one, however we want to make livid farm two more dynamic, with more options, and far far far more content. Instead if simply following your simple orders, we'de like to introduce a more open fronted game, with hundreds of hours of content in the following tasks-assas(more livid plants), borgia mes-(more random event style occurences) and better rewards such as the hidden sheathe to hide your sword of alt-(ahem) I mean your drygore weaponry.

we'll also be introducing a number of other pou-equippables.

meamzed.png

And yet you're all still trying to make it seem as though there is a competition between the two.

Newsflash: Comp cape is RIDICULOUSLY inefficient. Lots of high level content? yeah, you guessed it, inefficient.

Inefficient with regards to what?

So why are those efficiency goons trying to acquire all this inefficient stuff? go figure. And as far as i'm still aware of, the most popular minigame in game, the most popular minigame for what 8 years now, is still really popular... and has never had anything even remotely to do with efficiency.

And as far as I'm still aware of, Castle Wars sucks now because most of it is inhabited by people AFK'ing to get the comp cape.

77yLQy8.png

No, but you can fletch in the mean time which makes it infinitely more worth doing.

Unless you're already 99 fletching or even 99 magic. It's just incredibly slow and monotonous farming xp. Be better off putting weeds in all the farm plots around the world. That's more fun than livid farm.
  • Like 1

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

whenever i ask about why stuff can't be both enjoyable, somewhat hard to complete, and still gives, oh i don't know, rewards commensurate to the time and effort spent, people just shrug or give bullshit reasons about how fun and difficulty are mutually exclusive or some shit like that, or that the achievement/reward is somehow compensating for the lack of fun, and so on, and that to try to change it would be "unbalanced" or send mixed messages or be too hard, especially when it comes to doing something logically, or just taking a step back and thinking about what your actual goals are regarding the content

much more recently, one of the devs let slip that they're assigned a hard limit of how many man hours any given project gets, so once they run out, they have to back off, regardless of the state of the content, which while on the surface seems to speak about "efficiency" on that level, also means that we have tons of partially finished or totally unbalanced systems due to assumptions made before or directly after release which have no bearing at all on reality, which takes time they don't have (like, say, a few days to a week after release's worth of data collection, which is of course an entirely too slow and unreasonable OF COURSE), and now we know why runescape is run like an amusement park with no safety standards and lots of dangerous fireworks to cover up the flaws

i don't even

8f14270694.jpg

I take back what I said earlier, if you get the card that lets you add a medium lamp to your current reward you're looking at over 150k dg xp. Not too shabby at all.

They definitely need to introduce some non dg xp related reward though, these were supposed to contain Bilrach's wealth after all.

Personally I find it quite enjoyable, especially the card aspect of it at the end. If you put the work in for 1st place, you're basically guaranteed a nice reward, but for the people in the middle it is quite interesting.

Asmodean <3

They definitely need to introduce some non dg xp related reward though, these were supposed to contain Bilrach's wealth after all.

They were meant to contain the wealth (meaning accumulation/mass of in this context) Bilrach's supplies for digging Daemonheim.

So if you wanna be true to the lore it'd be primarily food, clothing, spades, picks, basic furnishings etc.

Also they way it was setup kind of implies these are all over the place as they were used to stockpile specific resources from that area opposed to buying in supplies. So like any given sinkhole would, lorically speaking, only contain a few resource types be it logs or ores or w/e

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I think they mentioned somewhere (prob RSOW?) that Bilrach stored the wealth used to not only equip but to pay his minions. So some piles of gold/gold bars/gems/whatever would be nice, unless we're to believe that he paid his men in Dungeoneering Tokens and Lamps? :P

• Like 4

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

So I haven't read through the entirety of this post yet, so I apologize if this has already been discussed, but:

What effects does the D&D have on skillers?

Can skillers use it to gain additional Dungeoneering EXP?

Runecrafting | Cooking | Firemaking

writer | musician | scholar