Divination - one of the new skills reported by IGN

Kimberly

I think they meant 'spread the word of guthix' to get a guthix alteration to the world.

Also how on earth is it boring or otherwise to grow the soloman's pets? You just get it then go and do normal things, I mean like literally you just ignore it and do ur normal day to day stuff

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I didn't see this when I read through the thread, but is it possible that Divination would be the second (processing) skill? I can't find any source saying it would be either/or but the thread seems to assume gathering. Would using divination to create and enhance items seem like a viable option as well?

Tranquil.png

[2:21:46 PM] Baldvin | Leik: these comp reqs are so bad

[2:22:36 PM] Arceus Dark: Time to get...req'd?

I didn't see this when I read through the thread, but is it possible that Divination would be the second (processing) skill? I can't find any source saying it would be either/or but the thread seems to assume gathering. Would using divination to create and enhance items seem like a viable option as well?

It's already confirmed to be the Gathering skill, as it was said to be the first skill of the two coming out this year. Not to mention the fact that Divination doesn't really make sense as a production skill, while there is a big link between the mythology of Divination and gathering/finding objects.

Binary_Mage.pngxJgdnyi.png

The Fallen Diviner

It's already confirmed to be the Gathering skill, as it was said to be the first skill of the two coming out this year. Not to mention the fact that Divination doesn't really make sense as a production skill, while there is a big link between the mythology of Divination and gathering/finding objects.

I must have missed that somewhere, oh well!

Tranquil.png

[2:21:46 PM] Baldvin | Leik: these comp reqs are so bad

[2:22:36 PM] Arceus Dark: Time to get...req'd?

Guest Smelly Paws

Surely by the looks of this thread we've mistaken Divination with speculation :razz:

• Like 1

So... skilling + lore version of prayer?

It's an excuse to bring in non-aura wings to make sure RS is less and less unique among MMOs.

I don't think being unique due to not having content is a good thing.

• Like 4

I was trying to piece together a bunch of interesting tidbits...

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/best-kept-secret-online-virtual-worlds-gets-major-234133836.html

The upgrade isn't just technical. While all of the game's content -- a vast quantity honed over a decade of weekly updates -- is being retrofitted to the new engine, RuneScape 3 also incorporates a major new chapter in the game's story, involving the return of a pantheon of old gods who are jockeying for control of the gameworld. The players' allegiance -- or lack thereof -- to these gods will apparently have an impact on the story, allowing gamers to be in the driver's seat as subsequent updates release.

"Every single action that the player takes will mean something and will have ramifications in the future," Ogilvie enthuses.

From this we understand the players will play an active role changing the world.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2013/05/07/runescape-3-preview/

"'Runescape' is more like life--it's about the journey," Ogilvie says, rather than actively attempting to complete the endgame. "We're giving up the driving seat, and letting the player take the wheel," he says. I wanted to ask him exactly what that means, "player control" one of those phrases that sounds cool on a list of bullet points but is usually hard to articulate even in a lengthy preview.

This excerpt will further support the notion that the Divination skill will be a focal aspect to the world events coming later on.

This excerpt also foreshadows that divination being the source of our 'divine' power to battle the other gods. Whether that be directly or indirectly know one knows.

In "Runescape 3," the gods have returned, each vying to gain control of the world of the game. The player is tasked with being guardians for the new gods, player choices ultimately deciding which of the gods will take control. The story will be developed over three month events, but Jagex is keeping these plot elements under wraps. But potentially, players will be able to ascend to levels of power that exceeds even that of the gods.

World events will potentially be 3 month events so ideally a clear concise winner from the factions would be imminent. Quests and their endings might be tailored to the winners of these world events.

Dave Osborne, lead narrative designer talked to us aout developing quest structures that can accomodate multiple branches for the ending given that players will be able to determine the direction of the three month events in "Runescape 3." He somewhat addressed my question about Jagex's ambitions for "player control," comparing "Runescape 3" to "The Walking Dead" in terms of available options and branches available to a user with an instance-based system. World events are based on global choices, Osborne says with a very definite end result based on the community's choices--the narrative team, in term, is reacting dynamically to the community choice (he hints that these would be large, world-changing events).

I felt this excerpt was the most interesting becuase it hinted at the biggest aspect of the skills mechanics. The world events are based on global events which then effect plot outcomes. This may actually be jagex response to their desire to let players create their own quests. Instead players get to take the seat and help tug along the plotline the way they desire it to be.

I've played the walking dead before and the endings are slightly limited, but getting to the end is never under the same route. I would imagine the instancing after events might be one of the more intriguing mechanics. I thought at first the instancing would be just for the event at a localized place. The instancing might actually run seamlessly with RS3 when HTML5 goes live. When the moderator stated that he would love to do large scale destruction to the world similar to the dragonkin attack I think he had the future world events in mind.

• Like 1

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I don't really like the idea of raising pets. Summoning is convenient and it makes sense as-is, the only pet I need is my cat tyvm.

Apparently the final skill is supposed to be 'end-game'?

From the Dutch article: "De tweede vaardigheid is nog geheel onbekend, maar dat moet meer met de endgame te maken hebben, vandaar dat ze geen enkele hint, zelfs de naam, niet willen prijsgeven."

"The second skill is as of yet completely unknown, but it has to have to do more with the end-game, which is why they [Jagex] do not want to reveal any hints, not even the name."

It's a bit ambiguous, it could just be an early conclusion by the writer, but I hope they have more sense than that :P.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

End-Game? Now, now we are talking here. 27 skills and that is it? Honestly, 27 is a good number though. More than enough.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

End-Game? Now, now we are talking here. 27 skills and that is it? Honestly, 27 is a good number though. More than enough.

Well Dungeoneering was also an end-game skill in that it drew on the other 24 and improving your other skills also improved your effectiveness at it, so I expect we'd see more of the same with #27.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Well Dungeoneering was also an end-game skill in that it drew on the other 24 and improving your other skills also improved your effectiveness at it, so I expect we'd see more of the same with #27.

Still, something just tells me this is the last skill. I mean, god wars two are coming (not 100%, but certainly like 99%), Saradomin already returned, and the first of these two will have to do with god powers. The second skill will be us doing something with this power. Perhaps even becoming gods ourselves if we so wish. It is as much end-game I really feel it is true end-game (skill-wise anyway).

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Will it be good idea to gather rescues from divination and not sell them but wait for next skill?

Well Jagex expressly said the two are NOT a pair like mine/smith wc/fletch etc are so in all likelihood there will only be a small number of uses for those resources n the 2nd skill, with most of it drawing on resources from other skills. Equally we should expect various things in existing artisan skills to come alongside divination that will hopefully offer profits.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

While I remember it, having been reminded of the pending skill reworks, I am just a tad put out that we would get new skills before they fix construction. Of course, I recognize that the number of people who are such big fans of the skill are comparatively tiny compared to most skills. Still, this is part of the reason my house is not complete (the other part being I have not secured a money tree yet). So yeah, get on that.

I am glad to see people have ideas about the skill that don't sound totally ridiculous (as in, things that would fit into the game). That will hold me over until I find out what it is I suppose, as a sort of hope that this will be alright. I say this because my initial reaction was to face palm and laugh for a minute.

Also, my scale of respect for arcane disciplines (cool factor, not necessarily utility, as this tends to be quite specific to the fantasy setting) is roughly as follows:

(lowest) Divination - Everything Else - Necromancy (highest)

I'm also still very much on the fence about Jagex having the players shape the future of the game. On the one hand it could be very cool. On the other hand...I am perhaps lacking a little faith in our collective choices.

Suing Jagex for copyright of my clans name. Well not mine, been in the clan for five years but still.

Herpina.

I think the name is kind of in honor of Divination after winning the first 3 Skilling cups. Might not be, but I have a feeling it is.

• Like 2

Call me pessimistic but I wouldn't be surprised if these "factions" somehow irrationally segregate the community further.

I'm hoping for it honestly. I'm even betting that jagex has hinged some of the gods concepts and beliefs on this.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Call me pessimistic but I wouldn't be surprised if these "factions" somehow irrationally segregate the community further.

Anyone remember the Triumvirate?

Vaguely, but how it worked not really...

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Vaguely, but how it worked not really...

Same kind of thing as this. It didn't split the community, but it fell apart after like a month because there was very little support or reason to participate. Something like this might be more successful, if it works as well as that they're implying.

Think of it like three giant clans, but after the initial enthusiasm wore off, not even the founders cared.