Divination - one of the new skills reported by IGN

Kimberly

Am I the only guy hoping we're not going to be running around with [bleep]ing dowsing sticks for 99 levels.

We're already running around with axes and picks for 99 levels--can't be worse of a grind than our current skills. Jagex has certainly learned a lot over the past few years as far as skills go, I have the feeling we're going to be in for a treat as far as the overall design concepts go for Divination. There's many ways they can approach this, but I think that they will pick the right one.

Binary_Mage.pngxJgdnyi.png

The Fallen Diviner

Am I the only guy hoping we're not going to be running around with [bleep]ing dowsing sticks for 99 levels.

We're already running around with axes and picks for 99 levels--can't be worse of a grind than our current skills. Jagex has certainly learned a lot over the past few years as far as skills go, I have the feeling we're going to be in for a treat as far as the overall design concepts go for Divination. There's many ways they can approach this, but I think that they will pick the right one.

Oh I'm fine with the grind :razz: I more of meant that I hope the skill doesn't involve running around with a dowsing stick, and that it would instead involve something more magical/arcane in that respect.

Just not a dowsing stick.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Oh I'm fine with the grind :razz: I more of meant that I hope the skill doesn't involve running around with a dowsing stick, and that it would instead involve something more magical/arcane in that respect.

Would a runite dowsing stick be ok??

• Like 10

77yLQy8.png

Lets Pray they make this skill easy and fast to train... I'm not interested in another bloody theiving/agil style skill which kills my wrists and my brain.

thiev is easy and fast, agil is easy

Silmarilli.pngSilmarils_Hc.png

Silmarilli.png

Silmarilli.png

Knowing the link to the Gods, I have the feeling that we're going to get a good amount of different magical/divine rods and implements. Zaros' secret cache of enchanted socks isn't going to be found using any mundane tool.

The skill seems to be a lot about magic, so I doubt they would go the straight up wooden stick route for the whole skill. Perhaps only for the level 1 implement :P

• Like 1

Binary_Mage.pngxJgdnyi.png

The Fallen Diviner

Lets Pray they make this skill easy and fast to train... I'm not interested in another bloody theiving/agil style skill which kills my wrists and my brain.

thiev is easy and fast, agil is easy

Easy they may be, but there comes a time when you have to decide between exp and carpal tunnel syndrome.

• Like 2

xcsx7c.png | 3gliP.jpg | 51y5tv.png  |  8mO5K.jpg

A Blog to Bathtubs for Beginners
Quest Cape | 99 Defence Achieved 11-Jul-2011 17:41 | 99 Prayer 11-Jul-2012 | 99 Constitution 02-Aug-2012

99 Attack 31/10/2012 | 99 Dungeoneering 31/10/2012 | 99 Strength 31/10/2012 | 99 Magic 2/12/2012

99 Range 16/12/2012 | 99 Herblore 25/12/2012 | 99 Summoning 4/1/2013 | 99 Firemaking 6/3/2013

99 Farming 10/4/2013 | 99 Slayer 11/7/2013 | 99 Fletching 21/8/2013  |  99 Smithing 22/8/2013 

99 Crafting 19/12/2013  |  99 Cooking 15/1/2014  |  99 Agility 25/1/2014  |  99 Thieving 01/02/2014

99 Construction 21/04/2014  |  99 Woodcutting 04/03/2014  |  99 Fishing 17/04/2014  |  99 Mining 23/07/2015

99 Divination 27/07/2015  |  99 Runecrafting 20/08/2015  |  99 Hunter 20/08/2015  | Maxed 20/08/2015

I can see it now... Getting spammed by the world news with RWTing gamblers getting 99 Divination an hour after release.

That is, if the lamps are common enough and give enough exp for one to be able to get 13,034,431 exp within an hour, all from a maximum of 900 spins in a day (And then, you would have to be able to use all the spins + use all the lamps within an hour.)

Although it would seem possible to me for someone to get to 99 with 900 spins on the first day. Only if they are having an event that makes those lamps super common on SoF and if said lamps give increased exp in that skill, though.

The issue I was trying to bring up is that - despite jagex seemingly have to fix shard value at 25ea as a 'patch' for the GP limit at 2.1b coins - this shard influx could potentially make the summoning skill more widely accesible if the shard influx would allow shard prices to come down a bit. The store price would remain at 25 - so no chances of prices going up beyond that price.

As long as they keep the guy in pet shops that buys any amount of shards at 25gp each, they will not go lower than 25gp each.

Easy they may be, but there comes a time when you have to decide between exp and carpal tunnel syndrome.

Don't you get both at once from these skills?

Don't you get both at once from these skills?

[hide= Not for the squeamish]2OiB9.jpg[/hide]

Well you can get both, should you wish. It's ultimately a choice between one or both. I personally would prefer just the one (exp), referring back to the original point, of a skill that doesn't kill your wrists.

xcsx7c.png | 3gliP.jpg | 51y5tv.png  |  8mO5K.jpg

A Blog to Bathtubs for Beginners
Quest Cape | 99 Defence Achieved 11-Jul-2011 17:41 | 99 Prayer 11-Jul-2012 | 99 Constitution 02-Aug-2012

99 Attack 31/10/2012 | 99 Dungeoneering 31/10/2012 | 99 Strength 31/10/2012 | 99 Magic 2/12/2012

99 Range 16/12/2012 | 99 Herblore 25/12/2012 | 99 Summoning 4/1/2013 | 99 Firemaking 6/3/2013

99 Farming 10/4/2013 | 99 Slayer 11/7/2013 | 99 Fletching 21/8/2013  |  99 Smithing 22/8/2013 

99 Crafting 19/12/2013  |  99 Cooking 15/1/2014  |  99 Agility 25/1/2014  |  99 Thieving 01/02/2014

99 Construction 21/04/2014  |  99 Woodcutting 04/03/2014  |  99 Fishing 17/04/2014  |  99 Mining 23/07/2015

99 Divination 27/07/2015  |  99 Runecrafting 20/08/2015  |  99 Hunter 20/08/2015  | Maxed 20/08/2015

As long as they keep the guy in pet shops that buys any amount of shards at 25gp each, they will not go lower than 25gp each.

Unfortunately no so true, while the NPCs buy unlimited shards (theoretically), the amount of time it takes to sell large quantities of it will lower its price to less than 25 each. Most people will just earn the money back in the time it takes to sell couple of million of shards.

If they changed so you can sell any amount of shards to them in 1 go, then the statement will be true

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

Unfortunately no so true, while the NPCs buy unlimited shards (theoretically), the amount of time it takes to sell large quantities of it will lower its price to less than 25 each. Most people will just earn the money back in the time it takes to sell couple of million of shards.

If they changed so you can sell any amount of shards to them in 1 go, then the statement will be true

Already does. Spirit shards have been used to hold access GP for quite some time now.

How many hotdogs does it take to mow a garage door?

Yes, but the last time I tried, i could only sell a handful of shards to NPC per mouse click, unless there was something i was missing?

regardless, I wasn't disputing that shards was used as money condenser, but it isn't always 25 gp each with respect to its street value.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

The issue I was trying to bring up is that - despite jagex seemingly have to fix shard value at 25ea as a 'patch' for the GP limit at 2.1b coins - this shard influx could potentially make the summoning skill more widely accesible if the shard influx would allow shard prices to come down a bit. The store price would remain at 25 - so no chances of prices going up beyond that price.

Yea I was sort of implying they'd have to give up that fixed price link

Also, to clarify how it might be an interesting approach: If they were no longer insta-buyable to infinity (and beyond) - and given theres a 10k/4h ge limit - prices may actually go around the other way (i.e. up).

Vmser.png

Yet another skill for the sake of a new skill. They could've adapted the storyline more fluenty into the game, Jagex is being way too forceful with their skill model.

Don't you find it fascinating that the signatures tend to take more space than posts themselves

Yet another skill for the sake of a new skill. They could've adapted the storyline more fluenty into the game, Jagex is being way too forceful with their skill model.

It's been three years since our last skill, I don't think it's just for the "sake" of it. It's about time, really. I'm definitely more in favour of a skill than adapting storylines, but to each their own.

• Like 2

RIP Michaelangelopolous

It's been three years since our last skill, I don't think it's just for the "sake" of it. It's about time, really. I'm definitely more in favour of a skill than adapting storylines, but to each their own.

^This plus how exactly is it not 'adapting the storyline more fluently' when they've expressly said these new skills contain a far chunk of lore and follow on direct from the events of TWW, so you know they like involve the story line of the game and ground it in the very essence of day-to-day activities opposed to something you just come across during questing.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

They are also trending with other MMO's who encompass more than a certain kind of 'expertise' in understanding a skill set. Plenty of MMO's create skills that are facets of other skill aspects and magic being the prominent one.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

^This plus how exactly is it not 'adapting the storyline more fluently' when they've expressly said these new skills contain a far chunk of lore and follow on direct from the events of TWW, so you know they like involve the story line of the game and ground it in the very essence of day-to-day activities opposed to something you just come across during questing.

My problem was how they're forcing the storyline into a skill mould when there wasn't any need for such - nor that there ever was any need for frequent new skills.
Don't you find it fascinating that the signatures tend to take more space than posts themselves

But they aren't "forcing" it in to a skill mould. The skill just happens to stem from a storyline progression and can, in turn, offer extra lore.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

But they aren't "forcing" it in to a skill mould. The skill just happens to stem from a storyline progression and can, in turn, offer extra lore.

I aknowledge the lore aspect, but what they make it out to be this skill seems to a bit more integral to the story than that. I don't think a skill, attribute or whatever should be a story medium.

They haven't made it out to be like that at all.

In some interviews they've even expressly said it WON'T be integral to story progression - it is just going to have lore that in many ways follows on from the themes of TWW.

As many have already mentioned a very obvious part of Divination would be extracting and analysing magically energies, quite possibly from ancient artefacts; which could easily yield lore segments about the various gods and their history within runescape.

Besides it's note like skills are not a story medium already, does not ancient magic and curses offer us some insight to Zarosian nature?

Does not the Lunar spellbook tell us about the Moonclan's ideals?

Does not high levels in dg give us journals ripe with lore on Bilrach and daemonheims story?

Do not high-ish combat stats give us access to the ancient journal, scarabas notes, dragonkin journals and dragonrider journals abundant with lore?

Does not every skill req on every quest that gives lore mean that it is by proxy giving us the story?

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Some insight as in the tiny bits of lore, not the whole story usually told in the quests. You get to familiarise with the concept of the powers aligned to Zaros already during Desert Treasure, not to talk about the rest of the quests and their rewards, which only sum up the things you know already by the time you finish the quest.

One could proxy chicken slaughtering in Lumbridge up to attempting to protect/attack Guthix give or take, so there's that. Proxies by themselves do not tell a story.