Reinventing the Squeal

Howlin0001

Reinventing the Squeal

Squeal of Fortune is undergoing a major facelift – in fact, it’s being totally reinvented. In just a few weeks' time, it's getting a complete graphical rework and a bunch of gameplay tweaks. Get ready for Treasure Hunter!

So, what’s Treasure Hunter all about?

• Like Squeal of Fortune, every day you’ll have the opportunity to win randomly selected prizes.
  • Instead of spinning a wheel, you’ll use keys to open chests, each of which holds a prize.
  • The prizes and their rarities will be similar to Squeal of Fortune, but tweaked so they’re more relevant to your character’s skill levels. We hope you’ll want to keep more of what you win.
  • Expect a completely new interface: one designed with the central themes and spirit of RuneScape in mind.
Those of you wondering 'What happens to my spins?' - don’t worry! Every remaining spin in your possession will be automatically converted to a key when Treasure Hunter launches.

For other questions, check out the official FAQ. This will be expanded upon release, and we invite you to ask questions and leave suggestions on the forums.

Treasure Hunter is being unleashed in the coming weeks. Watch this space for further announcements!

The RuneScape Team

FAQ

Why are you changing the Squeal of Fortune?

It's time! Treasure Hunter will be more in keeping with the spirit of RuneScape, has an improved interface, more relevant prizes, and no Yelps. It is also a better foundation for future improvements.

How will I get Treasure Hunter keys?

Keys will be obtained in exactly the same way that spins are currently: such as monster drops, skilling, through daily challenges, or purchasing with your normal payments methods. To find out how else to obtain spins or keys, head to this wiki page, and check out the “Getting Spins” section.

The prices for spin packages for will remain exactly the same for Treasure Hunter keys, so you needn’t worry about price changes either.

Should I use all of my spins before the update? I don’t want to lose any!

Worry not – any spins left on your account when the update goes live will be turned into Treasure Hunter Keys, ready to use right away! If you have 14 spins remaining, you’ll see 14 keys waiting after the update.

If I have a prize unclaimed from the Squeal of Fortune, will I lose it in the update?

When Treasure Hunter goes live, any Squeal of Fortune prize that has been won but not claimed will be removed, and you will be given a Treasure Hunter key in exchange. This key can then be used to claim a new prize by playing Treasure Hunter.

Are the prizes we can win on the Squeal of Fortune changing for Treasure Hunter?

The overall prize pool for Treasure Hunter will mostly remain the same, although we are adding and removing a few things. We've done some rebalancing, though, and you'll find that the prizes you receive are much more relevant to your skill levels.

We’ve taken on board your feedback from past promotions, making changes such as tipping the balance away from straight XP lamps and toward stars and bonus XP items – changes we hope will make your experience of Treasure Hunter more enjoyable.

What happens to the extra daily spin from my Gold or Silver Premier package?

You will receive the same number of Treasure Hunter keys per day as you would have Squeal of Fortune spins, including any extra from regular membership or the Premier Club.

That means a total of one key for free players, two for members and three for Gold/Silver Premier Club members, daily.

Do I have to go searching for chests to play Treasure Hunter?

No. Treasure Hunter will be accessed through an interface found on your Extras tab.

howlin1eeveesig.png

... yay?

It's good, but so bad. I don't want the SoF, but I don't want a SoF update either...

• Like 1

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

I hope they let us bank more tickets.. I have 30 some. earned spins and can't redeem any I get from skilling

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

This sounds like an internal/legal stink about the SoF being gambling may have (finally) gotten to them, so they are slightly tweaking the SoF to no longer fit someone's legalese description of gambling.  Because there is no way they would do this just to make it "designed with the central themes and spirit of RuneScape in mind"

• Like 1
You make it sound like running through a few level 87 monsters is hard which it really shouldn't be at your level.

riptide_mage.png

riptide_mage.png

Not entirely unexpected :D

Quote from an e-mail by MMG to a SoF dissident, sent on April 19th 2013, published on May 11th 2013:

...I’m conscious a few players have called the creative implementation into question and I suppose it’s not a helpful comparison when other companies do indeed use a similar spinning wheel device for what is very clearly a real gambling service, the team have a project slated this year to look at changing the implementation. 

http://wizzley.com/no-mmo-is-an-island/ - bottom of the article

On August 21th 2013 this rebranding was hinted at during an AMA with an ex-Jmod on Reddit:

Although, Squeel is being removed soon. (Not previously public news).

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1ksz7n/i_amwas_a_jagex_moderator_jmod_runescape_ask_me/cbsagqt

On a brighter note, the /r/runescape moderator who visited the Jagex HQ last week is now running a competition about the fate of Yelps :P

So if any unclaimed items are removed and you get a treasure hunter key as compensation, if you get a rubbish item on the day of the update just don't claim it and try for something better later :p

RIP Yelps - the JarJar Binx of Runescape.

• Like 1

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

Remove all lamps

You guys realise they already ditched all the lamps about a week ago in favour on bonus xp stars, which are currently on the star fall epically common promo to celebrate said change right?

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Remove all lamps

You guys realise they already ditched all the lamps about a week ago in favour on bonus xp stars, which are currently on the star fall epically common promo to celebrate said change right?

Not true. They are still on the wheel, they were just removed for the promotion of the stars but they are back in it.

howlin1eeveesig.png

Remove all lamps

Yes. I don't want bonus xp either.

• Like 2

Remove all lamps

Yes. I don't want bonus xp either.

This. Though, it's already too late. For several years they have inundated the game with free bonus experience everywhere. And they wonder why skills are suddenly so easy to level, a less meaningful accomplishment, and then proclaim that we need a ridiculous insidious prestige system to rectify this. Well, if you hadn't been giving away bonus experience like it was air for several years, then we wouldn't be in this situation, would be?

I mean, the Hati/Skoll thing just gave like 700k+ bonus experience in two skills for about 5 minutes of work. Who thought that this was a good idea? Seriously. Always nice to see when 5 minutes of work yeilds more experience than several of the top quests, for instance, in the game. Jagex has no conception of a proper incentive structure. 

• Like 4

If they're going to keep shoving arbitrarily high level content down our throats, the least they could do is make it so that you have a chance to play it without essentially selling your soul to the game.

Making high level content easily accessible defeats the purpose of it being high level. It's supposed to be exclusive to the ones that put in a lot of work to get there.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

When does that phrase stop being a reasonable response to every concern? I get that high level stuff is supposed to be exclusive, but I don't think I've ever seen that phrase used as anything other than a condescending way to shove aside anyone who doesn't like the idea of spending a thousand hours to earn  the "right" to grind for a thousand more.

How much is too much?

• Like 1

When does that phrase stop being a reasonable response to every concern? I get that high level stuff is supposed to be exclusive, but I don't think I've ever seen that phrase used as anything other than a condescending way to shove aside anyone who doesn't like the idea of spending a thousand hours to earn  the "right" to grind for a thousand more.

How much is too much?

Considering how easy leveling is today compared to back when I maxed, I don't see as much of a problem with the exclusivity of high level updates. With most skills giving over 150k exp an hour, getting into the 90's isn't amazingly time-consuming.

Not saying Runescape isnt grindy as [bleep] though. :P It just isn't as demanding as it once was, and continues to get faster and easier.

your goal is lvl 99

jagex add tons of bonus xp

99 lvl isn't big accomplishment anymore

Solution: set new goal: 26m xp

The prestige system got shot down, sorry. I wish they did some reset system.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

your goal is lvl 99

jagex add tons of bonus xp

99 lvl isn't big accomplishment anymore

Solution: set new goal: 26m xp

The prestige system got shot down, sorry. I wish they did some reset system.

You can perfectly set a new goal at 26m. It's only an issue when you hit 200m, and frankly.. at that point you've done enough of the skill.

To add a few more thoughts on the gambling part:

Who cares how this 'squeal' is displayed, or to what extent it's gambling. If that's really an issue, odds of 'getting lucky' should be removed throughout the game, meaning:

* Fixed reward rotation for clues

* Fixed rotation drop tables for all npcs

* Fixed reward rotation for barrows

* Fixed outcomes for herb patches based on a known set of parameters

If the use of random generators is perceived as tolerable, it's all or nothing imho.

About the amount of exp from world events / hati/skoll etc.

Could agree on hati/skoll being a bit exp-heavy, but the thing is... we're on a top-heavy level pyramid as it is. If you don't make it worthwhile for the top end, your event is a flop. I

• Like 1
Vmser.png