Behind the Scenes - February 2014

BloodAngel

Behind the Scenes - February 2014

A new minigame, reworked demon drops and our first quest of the year. Bring on February!

One of a Kind

Grandmaster quest, members only

Research carried out by Mr Mordaut - the most knowledgeable of dragons - suggests that Hannibus the dragon rider could well be alive, locked in stone and hidden beneath the earth. Adventurers who seek him out will uncover the library of Robert the Strong - the world's most feared dragon killer - in a globe -trotting quest of discovery.

Finding out that he is the last of his kind will no doubt be an intimidating prospect for this noble creature, but the path he takes will depend entirely on how you choose to guide him.

With requirements of 79 Magic, 74 Summoning, 67 Dungeoneering (some of the highest ever required) and a bunch of quests to complete, this is a true Grandmaster quest, aimed at the most intrepid and experienced of adventurers. It's a lore-rich romp across the world, revealing much about the dragons' as-yet unknown history, and its rewards include dragon rider armour a dragon rider amulet, and a new training area featuring the recent poll-winning celestial dragons.

c_dragon_news-31151215.jpg

Demon Drop Table Improvements

Free players and members

Fighting demons will be a more rewarding experience after this update, as we’ve reworked the drop tables of imps, and lesser, greater, black, abyssal and tormented demons. You’ll find lots less junk and more valuable drops, themed around each specific type of demon. Slayers on an assignment in the Abyss will now be able to loot the brand-new abyssal orb and wand, which fill the currently vacant dual-wield slots at level 75 Magic. Both the wand and the orb allow the casting of Slayer Dart spells and also act like a staff of light, thus saving runes.

Heist

New minigame, members only

Heist is a new minigame focused on deception and deduction. Players take on the role of master thieves or stalwart investigators, and compete on randomly generated town maps styled after iconic Gielinor locations.

As a robber, your goal is to disguise yourself as one of the town's NPC inhabitants, and to remain undetected until you’ve stolen the town’s loot. As a guard, you’re looking to make the robbers give themselves away so you can arrest them, bringing their crime spree to an early end. As a guard, you’ll have access to the latest in investigative tools, while as a robber you'll be able to plan daring escapes and blend into the crowds. It’ll take nerves of steel, a keen eye, precise timing and sharp wits to get the better of the other team.

Each map style contains unique gameplay, ranging from rooftop escapes, camel disguises, werewolf infestations and hidden tasks, so every game you play will be different.

Performing well will award you points to buy additional abilities to use in the game or generous amounts of bonus XP in Hunter and Thieving.

heist_deposit_point-31151308.jpg heist_looting-31151321.jpg

And So Much More…

Our smaller updates this month include two brand new seasonal hiscores, focused around healing and the Slayer Tower. We’ve made some cool new in-game props and pets for the winners of last year’s Golden Gnome awards, and there’s also a graphical reworks to the challenge master area in Burthorpe, and low level abilities.

Solomon’s General Store hasn’t been left out with some new circus style teleport animations and a new item, known as the wicked pouch. There’s also plenty of Valentine's shenanigans across the world, so look out for special Valentine love notes as you’re playing the game.

Polls

All of the major updates listed above have already been shaped by you via the Power to the Players poll system. Here are the full results from each of those polls we've run this month, some of the highlights of February's planned polls:

Finished:

• Drop Table Improvement - Demons won (56%)
  • Decide on Maps for a New Minigame - Canifis won (27%)
  • Which New Dragon Would You Like? - Celestial dragons won (38%)
  • Invention Skill vs Elf City - Elf City won (54%)
  • Decide on a Spring Holiday Event - Marimbo vs Brassica Prime won (66%)
  • Should We Reduce the Number of Worlds? - 'Keep them as they are' won (62%)

February Polls:

• Legacy Combat Mode - Dragonstone
  • Bonus XP or Double Drops? - Diamond
  • Elf City Skill Focuses - Diamond
  • Holiday Items for Loyalty Points? - Diamond
  • Ultimate Combat Abilities - Ruby
  • Choose Yelps's Fate - Ruby
  • Divination Familiar - Ruby

Please keep voting! RuneScape's at its best when you’ve helped craft the content you play, and we really want to know what you want! The votes on the Legacy combat mode are particularly important, so do make sure you check out all the information available on that.

Have fun!

Mod Mark

BTS Video:

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

Sell your virtus wand and books. T75 abyssal wands and orbs coming this month via abyssal demons.

I'm glad I never got the money to buy them. I'm glad I got my abyssal mask helm.

All in all I am excited for this month... abyssal demons and other demons get a drop revamp (t75 wand and orb!) and a grandmaster quest about dragonriders andvthe dragonkin maybe?

Hiest sounds interesting and could be a more like an interactive/roleplay way to train thieving and agility.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Now I'm really excited for the Grand Master Quest! Heist looks zany and cool. Actually affordable wands and orbs from a non-boss. Plus, some Valentines themed stuff later in the month. 

It looks like a solid month. I can't wait to try each update out.

Sell your virtus wand and books. T85 abyssal wands and orbs coming this month via abyssal demons.

I'm glad I never got the money to buy them. I'm glad I got my abyssal mask helm.

Tier 75...
I get what you are saying in that it won't be as good. The more you close the gap tiers the more it will help smooth over the desire for virtus wand and book thus dragging the price down a little because the demand wont be so harsh. With that said it will help to drive down the price of virtus wand and books a bit. The people with less money will opt for abyssal wands and orbs than for virtus wands and books for the mean time.

I'm all hoppes up from coffee from working midnights so if I don't make sense it might be that.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Sell your virtus wand and books. T85 abyssal wands and orbs coming this month via abyssal demons.

Tier 75...

I get what you are saying that it won't be as good. The closer you get in tiers the more desired it becomes. The availability will help smooth over the desire for virtus wand and book thus dragging the price down a little because the demand wontbe so harsh. With that said it will help to drive down the price of others. The people with less money will opt for abyssal wands and orbs than for virtus wands and books for the mean time.

Yeah but you wrote T85

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Tier 75...
I get what you are saying that it won't be as good. The closer you get in tiers the more desired it becomes. The availability will help smooth over the desire for virtus wand and book thus dragging the price down a little because the demand wontbe so harsh. With that said it will help to drive down the price of others. The people with less money will opt for abyssal wands and orbs than for virtus wands and books for the mean time.
Yeah but you wrote T85
Oh my bad... I just got off work a couple hours ago and I've been running off of coffee for the last 2 hours.

I changed it to t75 to avoid price manipulation.

I'M A GOOD BOY MOMMY I SWEAR!!!!

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

The content for this month looks solid, however once again there will only be 2 content updates. I remember back when a no update week was rare, it seems though today they are just pushing random stuff to fill a 3rd headline in the BTS.  (slayer update, demon drops, D&D tracker)

mck.pngMck.png

Noobs: We pay we say

JaGeX: How much will you pay?

The poll I am most interested in the outcome/sort of not sure about this month: 

• Holiday Items for Loyalty Points? - Diamond

If this means Bunny Ears and Scythes are on offer again for everyone, I really don't think that'll be worth it. If they mean holiday themed items for loyalty points, i.e. Easter 2014 Chocolate Eggs or something while Brassica and Marimbo are busy poking each other, that's different.

The content for this month looks solid, however once again there will only be 2 content updates. I remember back when a no update week was rare, it seems though today they are just pushing random stuff to fill a 3rd headline in the BTS.

Abyssal wand and orb IS content.

And solidly on that note does anyone remember this concept art for abyssal demons?

"http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Abyssal_demon?file=Abyssal_demon_concept_art.jpg"

If we get that too, then that would be content as well. I am fully welcoming the abyssal demon npc rework if that comes too!

Edit: the abyssal demons DO get a graphical rework! The bts video shows a concept much like the one I posted. The difference being that it has a red glow instead of blue and the tendrils are missing from the concept.

The abyssal wand and orb look interesting and hopefully have a slight animation to convey writhing tenticles and an abyssal glow.

• Like 1

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

If the bonus xp rates in Heist are anything like BA I will be so happy!

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

Good thing I have my abyssal mask still to complete! :) Here I come t75 dw.

Can't wait for this month honestly, a quest, new minigame... I think I might just quit uni and play way too much. All in all I can't wait for this month.

Lol I'm excited for you!

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

GKlIJaM.png

Interesting...

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Quite excited for this month all told.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Here is what Mod Timbo said when asked about what "Junk" was removed from the Abyssal Demon drop table.

Mod Timbo: "Junk includes the steel and mithril equipment, defence potion and some black equipment. What's replacing it is a surprise!"

He also said the wand and orb can only be obtained on task when asked about the rarity.

Mod Timbo: "They only drop on task so you're looking between rare and very rare."

Here is a little info for those interested in the changes to Tormented Demons.

Mod Timbo: "TDS haven't changed a huge amount but you can expect drops to be noted now and less lower level herbs."

And a note about Imp drop changes.

Mod Timbo: "Overall value hasn't gone up a huge amount, just made some of the drops more useful to lower levels. Cabbage remains though!"

90.png

---------------------------- ';..;' ----------------------------

max.png