Legacy Mode Beta - Coming 16th June

Leik

really liking this so far... definetly want it back for good... did a bit of pking, there's some minor probs, but its all good for the most part... the most annoying thing is the hitsplats... they are delayed so that by the time you see what you got it, it's already too late to eat again >.<

meamzed.png

prod speccing with ags is a party

best drops (reasonably accurate/up to date): 1x Elysian Sigil (LS), 1x Arcane Sigil (cs), 4x Armadyl Hilt (solo at 100m, 100m, 50m, and 5m), 2x Saradomin Hilt (solo at 25m), 5x Draconic Visage (34m,1.2m,1.2m) and various cs/ls/ffa Nex splits.
Drygore Drops: 7 Longswords, 3 Maces, 3 Rapiers, 3 Off-hand Rapiers,  5 Off-hand Maces, 3 Off-hand Longswords

ROTS Shields: 12  Seismics: 16

Ascension Crossbows: 6  Spider Legs: 10

Countless Armadyl armour pieces, Saradomin amulets, Dragon Hatchets, and Fremenik Rings.
Range~Herblore~Construction~Constitution~Defence~Farming~Magic~Attack~Prayer~Strength~Summoning~Slayer~Mining~Dungeoneering~Firemaking~Agility~Magic Mastery~Summoning Mastery~Cooking~Smithing~Fletching~Thieving~Hunter~Woodcutting~Fishing~Runecrafting

The thing is, basics aren't useless.  Knowing when to use which basics, and using ability queuing to optimize your adrenaline gain, can do so so much for your dps.

With Revolution, they are.

When you're in Revolution mode, for most people it uses basics in a completely arbitrary manner.

Might as well just make it so Revolution would be auto-attacks as strong as using those basics + getting 8% adrenaline per 3 ticks and being able to use Thresholds and Ultimates.

I don't completely agree with this. I pay attention to the order I assign basics when using Revolution, putting the highest damage (and usually highest cooldown) at the front and the lowest damage/lowest cooldown at the end, and I fiddle with where I include Sacrifice and where/whether or not I include any AoE or DoT abilities depending on the situation.

The differences may be somewhat minor, but they do exist and they do matter.

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

So I have been watching Mod Dean's stream for a while now, watching him do various things in Legacy. This is by far the most hilarious and embarrassing thing I have seen from Jagex in a while. In addition to being just plain out terrible at combat of all sorts, raging, he didn't even know basics for Vorago (even though he's been doing it since late last year) or various other in-game basics. Now, in and of itself, that isn't so bad, but Mod Dean is touted by Jagex as a 'legend within Jagex', and is someone who has quite a lot of input into bosses, the combat system, and legacy betas. Why is someone that bad being allowed to have input into things without even basic knowledge that most players no doubt already have? It'd be funny if it wasn't pathetic.

• Like 4

Boots, gloves and helm slot equipment now lowers your accuracy if wearing off-style gear.

Thoughts?

The thing is, basics aren't useless.  Knowing when to use which basics, and using ability queuing to optimize your adrenaline gain, can do so so much for your dps.

With Revolution, they are.

When you're in Revolution mode, for most people it uses basics in a completely arbitrary manner.

Might as well just make it so Revolution would be auto-attacks as strong as using those basics + getting 8% adrenaline per 3 ticks and being able to use Thresholds and Ultimates.

I don't completely agree with this. I pay attention to the order I assign basics when using Revolution, putting the highest damage (and usually highest cooldown) at the front and the lowest damage/lowest cooldown at the end, and I fiddle with where I include Sacrifice and where/whether or not I include any AoE or DoT abilities depending on the situation.

The differences may be somewhat minor, but they do exist and they do matter.

Hence why I said "for most people"...

Boots, gloves and helm slot equipment now lowers your accuracy if wearing off-style gear.

Thoughts?

I agree with helm, because there is power armor helm, but not boots and gloves :\

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

Having an off-class helm honestly should lower your accuracy, but I don't think gloves/boots should affect accuracy. 

• Like 1

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

Thoughts?

I agree with helm, because there is power armor helm, but not boots and gloves :\

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Bandos_gloves

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Bandos_boots

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Torva_gloves

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Torva_boots

The list goes on :P

I really don't like the removal of LP from armor. POP gear gives absolutely paltry LP bonuses now, and even without it I seem to be over 10k LP.

Maybe it was a good idea to assign a bit more LP to Constitution/Hitpoints, but not the vast majority of it...

As far as weapon specs go, there's something I'm not totally clear on - I know that you have to switch weapons to use the Special Attack, but Special Attacks have no cooldown. If you have the adrenaline, you can use the same spec several times in a row.

How does that compete with using thresholds with your main (higher tiered) weapon?

2dgucz6.png

Played around on the beta a bit. I went and absolutely wrecked a few people using abilities against Legacy users. Glad to see that abilities are far superior to Legacy. I also managed to 2-hit someone with an AGS. Hit them once with a normal attack, and then specced them for a 910. I feel like the spec is a bit ridiculous at the moment, I don't remember it being able to hit that high in the past.

Also fixed <3333333333 It felt amazing to play on fixed again. Legacy DGing was also pretty fun.

Overall, I can see why people miss the old combat system, there are certainly aspects of it that I do miss, but I'll stick with abilities. Wouldn't want to get slower kill rates and all that.

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

Not sure how you played, or what sort of people you played against, but plenty of people, for PVM at least, are reporting that they were doing significantly more damage in Legacy at PVM than they were with EoC full manual with try-hard abilities. Of course, there are problems (certain bosses require abilities), and in PVP stuns will wreck Legacy, but it still seems problematic.

• Like 1

5pn45.jpg

Even if this is not the real RS, I've always dreamed of seeing this in my bank. ;3

I think I'd rather play Beta than f2p now... Anyone knows how long it'll be available?

The most exact thing I've heard is that Legacy Mode will be released sometime this Summer.

-Ethan

5pn45.jpg

Even if this is not the real RS, I've always dreamed of seeing this in my bank. ;3

I think I'd rather play Beta than f2p now... Anyone knows how long it'll be available?

The Third-Age and duplicate spirit shields?

Popoto.~<3

yeah.  gmaul is very op, but eoc is moreso.  impossible to compete with meta/zerk

Phew

Played around on the beta a bit. I went and absolutely wrecked a few people using abilities against Legacy users. Glad to see that abilities are far superior to Legacy. I also managed to 2-hit someone with an AGS. Hit them once with a normal attack, and then specced them for a 910. I feel like the spec is a bit ridiculous at the moment, I don't remember it being able to hit that high in the past.

Also fixed <3333333333 It felt amazing to play on fixed again. Legacy DGing was also pretty fun.

Overall, I can see why people miss the old combat system, there are certainly aspects of it that I do miss, but I'll stick with abilities. Wouldn't want to get slower kill rates and all that.

k nice, guess i'll go troll legacy users 

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

I really don't like the removal of LP from armor. POP gear gives absolutely paltry LP bonuses now, and even without it I seem to be over 10k LP.

Maybe it was a good idea to assign a bit more LP to Constitution/Hitpoints, but not the vast majority of it...

As far as weapon specs go, there's something I'm not totally clear on - I know that you have to switch weapons to use the Special Attack, but Special Attacks have no cooldown. If you have the adrenaline, you can use the same spec several times in a row.

How does that compete with using thresholds with your main (higher tiered) weapon?

Defence gives you armor and generally damage absorption, constitution gives you health.

I do not see the problem.

As for abilities, yes you have no Cooldown for them, but they also cost way more adrenaline for much lower damage output overall.

That and it gives you a debuff that halves your adrenaline gains.

As far as weapon specs go, there's something I'm not totally clear on - I know that you have to switch weapons to use the Special Attack, but Special Attacks have no cooldown. If you have the adrenaline, you can use the same spec several times in a row.

Defence gives you armor and generally damage absorption, constitution gives you health.

I do not see the problem.

As for abilities, yes you have no Cooldown for them, but they also cost way more adrenaline for much lower damage output overall.

That and it gives you a debuff that halves your adrenaline gains.

From a logical point of view (I realize this is a fantasy game, but still), the fact that you have armour on should mean your chances of living are vastly better and that you can take more hits.

I preferred the system prior to the beta, as it is in the live game right now.

I think their logic, which isnt wrong, but wrongly applied was that higher grade armor should be able to take more hits or harder hitd. So to incorporate that they thought to use armour to boost lp.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Isn't damage absorption doing just what you explained? Lowered damage received means you can take more hits.

Yeah it does... but i dont know why they dont use it.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Can anyone tell me where to get the free armor/supplies? Or is there just free pvp armors

NVM the guy in edge gives free pvp armor and the combat academy guy gives free t70 and under weapons. He also gives potions etc

mck.pngMck.png

Noobs: We pay we say

JaGeX: How much will you pay?

Isn't damage absorption doing just what you explained? Lowered damage received means you can take more hits.

Yeah it does... but i dont know why they dont use it.

It's always struck me as another set of features the Gowers borrowed from D&D, from health being abstract to armor affecting whether you take damage at all rather than how much damage you take.

Can someone explain to me why we need Momentum and Legacy? Am I missing something here? I see the difference in the interface and hey, I guess it is cool for those who want the fixed layout. But focusing on Combat I don't see the point of both. Why do we need to add "Legacy" instead of just changing Momentum to be a little stronger? It is all just about appearances and making it sound better for those who have been crying out about EoC? I can honestly see the point of having the three current options (well I guess with Revolution there isn't much place for momentum) But I can see a place for the three, but I can't see having 4. Are there other differences here? Are only the legacy players going to 138cmb and 990hp or is it everyone?

Sorry if it sounded a little scattered, I'm just typing what I'm thinking, normally I try to format it a little better, but I'm at work with limited break time.

• Like 1

90.png

---------------------------- ';..;' ----------------------------

max.png

I think the point you are missing is how momentum wasn't implemented well enough to be:

1. Viable for any efficient playing

2. Convenient

3. Anything like how rs original was

4. Not feeling like a penalty for avoiding ability spamming

Which are the main reasons absolutely no one has a use for it.

mck.pngMck.png

Noobs: We pay we say

JaGeX: How much will you pay?