Sign in to follow this  
indy500fan

Oblivion!

Holy crap I want this game so much. But sadly, my computer wouldn't be able to handle it (Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.60ghz, 512mb RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 SE.)

Anyway, I talked to a mate who got it, and he says the voice acting is kinda bad (lacks feeling), and something about the monsters moving weird and choppy. But then again, he's running it on lowest quality.

Same here, but my machine would make Oblivion want to shoot itself after trying to play ^.^

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

The voice acting of the main characters (especially the one played by Sean Bean) was certainly good. The minor characters are almost exactly the same voices as in Morrowind, just full voiced dialogue.

Its a shame Patrick Stewart was hardly in it at all, yet their marketing made out like he played a large part... Its as though they just hired him so they could put his name on it. I would have said that Sean Bean playing a major part in the game would be more impressive than Patrick Stewart saying a few lines.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

The voice acting of the main characters (especially the one played by Sean Bean) was certainly good. The minor characters are almost exactly the same voices as in Morrowind, just full voiced dialogue.

Its a shame Patrick Stewart was hardly in it at all, yet their marketing made out like he played a large part... Its as though they just hired him so they could put his name on it. I would have said that Sean Bean playing a major part in the game would be more impressive than Patrick Stewart saying a few lines.

I agree, I like the voice acting of the main characters. Probaly one of my favorites was the voice of the emporors son, he does a good job.

I just defraged my hard drive, gunna see if it runs faster now :D (I've never defraged it before LOL)

My system:

Pentium 4 530 (3.0Ghz, 800Mhz FSB, 1MB L2 cache)

1024MB DDR @ 400 Mhz, dual channel

128MB Leadtek 6600GT

Yesteday, I did the following:

- Deleted over 12GB of junk/uninstalled unused programs

- Cleaned registry, temp files, etc

- Defragged HDD

- Disabled startup of unneccesary processes

- Installed beta 84.25 driver. which is supposed to improve performance on Oblivion.

- Overclocked 6600GT from 500Mhz Core/1000Mhz Memory to 555/1140, achieving a 10% increase in 3dMark05 score.

After all that.. the game still is not playable at 1024x768 on decent quality. On 800x600 I can have Bloom, medium texture size, medium-high on other settings, and get 30-60 FPS outdoors. With 1024x768, that changes to 10-30, too choppy to stay at. I'm not saying this game isn't playable, it certainly is, but it can't claim incredible graphics for people without ub3r rigs.

Exarch, try the tweak that Nadril recommended. It really helps a lot for most people.

I agree, I like the voice acting of the main characters. Probaly one of my favorites was the voice of the emporors son, he does a good job.

Aye that's Sean Bean, the one I was talking about. I think both him and Patrick Stewart have really good voices, however when listening to Martin Septim I couldn't help but think of this...

mordor.gif

That clip is hilarious, I actually laughed out loud when I saw that.

intermissiontintdawg7qfedit28b.jpg

Your true character is what you are like when you believe there are no repercussions.

I... I..

Oh gosh, this topic is killing me

<3 Gamefaqs :P

Summary: Threadstarter thinks his computer can play oblivion since he can watch a movie of it and look at screenshots (And I think he thinks the same of the PS3 :P )

smithie3.jpg

I can view screenshots of the game and can play it too, something must be wrong with your computer. Upgrade to 32MB RAM if you only have 16 or something.

Also install Windows 95 I head the game won't run on 3.11 even if you can view screens from it.

:lol:

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

Methinks he might be joking...

Good news! My new RAM is here...I ordered Sunday afternoon, and it came Tuesday morning (am I the only one impressed by this?) So I'm up from 512 (yick) to 1.5gig. Should run much better (still not good[bad graphix card]), still not good detail, but hopefully it will clean up the framerate ;). Score one for the good guys.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

turns out my onboard graphics on this motherboard are better than my old pci graphics card, or its the fact that i have a fast process and 2 gigs of ram. anyways, i have been playing it now. run at 800x600 with virtually no effects, i get ok framerate. load times are quick, i think cause of the ram.

my thoughts on the game so far:

morrowind was better. only by a small, small bit, but better none the less. complaints: 1. persuasion is odd. you have to do it quick, which isnt bad unless your mouse doesnt quite register right away. still a small lag there, only noticable when i try to persuade. and i think once you persuade them to a certain point, you cant persuade anymore. ive only played of one game day or so, so i dont know if it resets it everyday or not. 2. dont understand haggling system. probably just need to read the manual, then ill get it. 3. water was way to dark when i was underwater. got killed by slaughter fish a few times. 4. fighting system (not really a complaint, i could go either way). the bows work better imo, the sword attacks are going to take a lot of getting used to with a mouse. 5. they said they were going to make a game that appealed to a wider audience, and i think they have done that verywell. they also said that huge fans of the series would enjoy it just as much, they would find all the best parts and then some. i would have to say it catered a little too much to the general audience, not enough to the fans.

now whats better?

1. fast travel. having played most of morrowind using the console to COC a lot of places, i didnt have to worry about getting my loot from outside to the cities very much. just teleport there and back. having just played morrowind with out using the COC at all, and walking everywhere, i found that offered many good oportunities too. then i played daggerfall a while ago and i rather enjoyed there fast travel system. over all, i think fast travel was a good idea. doesnt let you travel from interior cells (COC in morrowind let you tele anytime, anywhere, to anywhere. really was a cheat i guess, unless you only used it like a fast travel system), and doesnt let you travel to places not discovered yet. 2. lockpicking. ive only done very easy locks so far, but for some reason i really enjoy it. unlike the other minigame (persuasion) this is all about timing. broke 10 picks trying to figure out what i was supposed to do, then once i figured it out all was well. 3. charachter creation. talk about customization, so many options i was overwhelmed. ended up clicking on random a few times, found one that looks ok and modified it a bit. 4. the menu. while i was playing i didnt like the menu as much. couldnt figure out how to drop stuff :lol: . now that i think back on it, it is a pretty nice menu. 5. horses, cool to have. dont like the way they "steer" but its still cool to ride a horse. i think you can shoot arrows off of them too, but not sure. 6. NPC dialogue. very easy to get the information, and find out what you know and what you dont. 7. compass. this is another one that is both pro and con. yes, now i know exactly where to go. dont have to spend an hour (yes, literally took me an hour to find some obscure cave once in morrowind) looking for a small door in a huge landscape. bad? first quest, take "something" to "someone" (so early in the game it cant really be a spoiler, but wont say just in case). get out of starting area, find the red arrow, turned that way, clicked on the map to fast travel there, followed arrow straight to the person. this is one of those cater to the masses things, make it so that you dont even have to think about what you were doing. the first five minutes of my life outside of the underground was totally thoughtless, just missed the excitement of starting anew.

over all? definently going to be a very good game. im definently going to have to get a video card though so i can actually play normally, graphics are still a lot worse than morrowinds on my computer.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

With the voice-dialogue and compass markers they have pretty much catered to the X-box/ritalin kiddies.

There is such a lack of dialogue due to the voice acting. I loved the fact each NPC would tell you their own knowledge and opinions on every topic that had any effect on them. In oblivion you only get two or three bits of dialogue and for 90% of the NPCs those bits are exactly the same :?

I know the price. I pay it gladly.

Lol, I agree VOV. I've been told that (paraphrase) "many mages have left the Mage's Guild lately because they outlawed Necromancy" about 150 times. Every time I ask for rumors I get that (well, I spend a lot of time in the mage's guild, but still...they even use the same words).

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

Lol, I agree VOV. I've been told that (paraphrase) "many mages have left the Mage's Guild lately because they outlawed Necromancy" about 150 times. Every time I ask for rumors I get that (well, I spend a lot of time in the mage's guild, but still...they even use the same words).

Yep, it does get quite annoying.

I'm thinking the reason is the size of the files used for voice dialogue. I know the game is huge with the DVD disk and all but I would have loved a second DVD for the PC composed purely of voice clips. I'm praying for a nice patch sometime in the next few months... I have no problem downloading a 500MB patch, my BF2 ones are already 300MB :oops:

It's either filesizes or they spent all their money on Patrick Stewart :shock:

i watched a video and nearly half the dvd is voice.

Yep, it does get quite annoying.

I'm thinking the reason is the size of the files used for voice dialogue. I know the game is huge with the DVD disk and all but I would have loved a second DVD for the PC composed purely of voice clips. I'm praying for a nice patch sometime in the next few months... I have no problem downloading a 500MB patch, my BF2 ones are already 300MB :oops:

It's either filesizes or they spent all their money on Patrick Stewart :shock:

I heard on one of the dev vids that voices take up a huge amount of the space compared to the other things. But I don't even care about the voice. It's kinda nice, but after playing games like "Torment" when you look at how little they actually say, it would be easy to just read it. I mean, when I hear the same thing over an over, with the same voice...Get's annoying. And notice: All black women have the same voice, and I think all the lizard women have the same too.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

Yep I could care less about the voices. They were added to appeal to the masses who don't want to be forced to read while gaming. Personally I think it's a pretty poor trade-off. I think the voices are great and all, a really nice touch, but when they restrict the dialogue so much it defeats the whole purpose.

In addition, I've always loved reading the stuff in the Elder Scrolls games, I must have read every single book in Morrowind :oops:

played at my friends...its EFIING SICK!!!(in a good way). im getting a 360 in april. the 15th :lol:

I... I..

Oh gosh, this topic is killing me

<3 Gamefaqs :P

Summary: Threadstarter thinks his computer can play oblivion since he can watch a movie of it and look at screenshots (And I think he thinks the same of the PS3 :P )

Dear lord, if he isn't joking I pray for him... I realy do.

Can anyone use the construction set? I tried using it yesterday, im no too succesful with it...

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

My Gig-o-Ram is here and installed....It runs SO much faster now, still on low res graphics, but my video card is terrible so that's probably the reason. Still, it runs VERY smooth now with 1.5gb of RAM.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

Can anyone use the construction set? I tried using it yesterday, im no too succesful with it...

i only opened it up for a few minutes, but it looks EXACTLY the same as morrowinds, and morrowinds was very easy to use. i might play with it again later, but thats a while off.

anyways, im hooked. im kind of dissapointed it took 5 hours of game time to get me hooked, because i was hooked straight off the bat with morrowind. anyways, more comments:

cons: 1. following a guy for a quest, he got into a vineyard which had a fence around it. took him about 5 minutes to get out of the vineyard. 2. faces still look lifeless even though the mouths move and everything along with the voice.

pros: 1. quest system. this is one of those things that catered to a bigger audience, and for good reason. it makes it much, much easier to keep track of everything when you can choose an active quest and see the details for it. 2. ive only been to two cities, the capital city and skingrad. the capital city reminded me of vivec from morrowind, huge, but not very space efficient for the amount of shops there. it is a lot better than vivec, and a lot bigger too. anyways, skingrad was awesome. i loved walking around in that city, it just looked great. i cant wait till i get a graphics card that is good, so i can see it in all its glory. 3. map (in game). its less detail, because its more map like and less picture like. its easy to use, does its job efficiently. 4. level up system. i leveled up two levels at once, because i didnt get to a bed. now you wont have to worry about getting to a bed right away if you dont want to, all the skill levels will count. 5. waiting system. only need to "rest" to level up, to heal you just wait one hour. it was kind of pointless to do it the other way anyways.

all in all im liking it more and more. once i get my graphics card ill be able to jump right into the game. then get my 20 inch widescreen monitor, and ill be living in the game :D . i do have one question though, where does everyone sell their loot? in morrowind i sold everything i could to the "creeper," and sold everything else to people in caldera. one stop shop. just wondering if there is any body like the creeper in morrowind. i would look on gamefaqs, but that would be cheating :D asking it here is just friends helping friends :P (yes i know im crazy :P )

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

About the capital city, how hard is it to get lost? Because goodness knows how long I took to find my way out from the library of vivec last night :'(

smithie3.jpg

the whole temple canton of vivec always confused me too :o .

ive only been to the market (and prison :lol: ) part of the capital city so far, so i really dont know much about it :P . i dont have the market part memorized yet, still trying to find out where im going to make my base. balmora worked so well for me, having hlaalu manor all to myself.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg