Oblivion!

indy500fan

Omg, my computer sucks. Due to technical poopiness, I had to run on very very low settings. I think I might have to make it so that my draw distance is farther though, because I feel I'm missing far too much of the game without it. In fact, I had it on the lowest you can go through the first dungeon. It was absolutely the most rediculous thing I'd ever seen. I literally couldn't see 10 feet in front of me, and things like walls would just pop in. It was so stupid.

I'm pretty sure I really need more RAM. Graphics too, but I can't afford that now, so that will have to wait. But:

I went in to Futureshop, just to look around at some new RAM, and he said since it was "DELL SAMSUNG DDR2 MEMORY 256mb 1Rx8 PC2-3200U-333-10-A1 " that I would have to buy it straight from Dell. He said it was "RD" or something, and that they made it so that only RAM made by Dell will work with it. He said other's wouldn't fit, because the space in the middle was changed in place.

I'm not sure if this is true. He didn't seem to be the smartest guy, as he didn't seem to have ever heard of Dual Channelling...My bro bought 1 stick of 512, and he asked if he shouldn't get 2x 256's for Dual Channling, and he said nothing of anything like Dual Channeling. So my bro's comp, which is Dell Dimension 4600 got to have RAM, but they changed mine (mines Dell 4700) so that I can't get RAM. So I'm now wondering what to do.

From what I was able to view through the pitiful graphics (if you don't know what it might look like...I would say Morrowind on high settings would definately look better graphically (maybe not the animations), it seems to be a very graphic oriented game. I assume the first dungeon was to be something to show off the graphics engine, but I was able to see through it. This will also give me a clearer thought of the gameplay...I don't like it when people say they like a game just because of the graphics. Graphics is a part, but since I don't get them I'll only be able to concentrate on the gameplay. And I don't think the gameplay seems to be that life-changing. :\. But I'll need to play more tonight, and then hopefully get this RAM thing sorted out.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent graphics, plot with potential, neat interface, etc.

Yet I can't stand it. You're character is walking in slow-motion. I guess your speed improves over time, but that doesn't change the fact that I did not enjoy the early parts of the game, due to this one fact. I'll try it again later I guess, for now I'm not impressed.

Yet I can't stand it. You're character is walking in slow-motion. I guess your speed improves over time, but that doesn't change the fact that I did not enjoy the early parts of the game, due to this one fact. I'll try it again later I guess, for now I'm not impressed.

Yeah the slow thing is very similar to Morrowind, I remember when I first started playing and I kept thinking that I was just walking not running, it takes time but after you get some levels in athletics (or whatever it is called in Oblivion) I am sure that the walking speed will increase. Usually it is fairly easy to level athletics, either do a lot of swimming and then refill fatigue, or blow a bunch of money towards improving it. Also you might want to make your speed one of your highest attributes and make sure athletics is a major skill.

intermissiontintdawg7qfedit28b.jpg

Your true character is what you are like when you believe there are no repercussions.

running perfect on my 360!

got meh female, wood elf, with blue/black hair. i think im gunna train long blade, archery, and most of the others.. i dont run/walk slow at all.. i had one of my major attributs as atheletics so it went to 25 right away :) also. when u walk/run jump at the same time.. it helps increase ur atheletics.

About the athletics thing, if its anything like Morrowing in that aspect, all you have to do is find some stairs and keep jumping off them and going back up. Also there was a bug in morrowind that you could just walk off a ledge and it wouldnt hurt you (jump dont run is what i ment), but they probably fixed that for this one. heheh might get new compy tommorw ^.^

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

Yeah the slow thing is very similar to Morrowind, I remember when I first started playing and I kept thinking that I was just walking not running, it takes time but after you get some levels in athletics (or whatever it is called in Oblivion) I am sure that the walking speed will increase. Usually it is fairly easy to level athletics, either do a lot of swimming and then refill fatigue, or blow a bunch of money towards improving it. Also you might want to make your speed one of your highest attributes and make sure athletics is a major skill.

I had always heard (and exercised) that easy skills should not be a major or minor because they will give you levels too easy and you won't have the kind of multipliers you could really use at times :P

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

:D :D :D :D :o :o :o :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8)

I went to the shop today, and ordered the computer, by friday i should be playing Oblivion!

And it will definitly run on the computer, i am getting an extra 512 mb of ram put in, so it will bring it up to 1024 mb of ram.

Unfortuantly with all extras and what not... basicly $980 :cry:

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

You know you can run ;). And are you sure you're not crouched? Lol, in the first dungeon I was accidentally crouched, and I didn't know it. I thought I was encumbered so I dropped almost all my stuff and left it (none of it was good, though). I felt the fool when I realised it.

But upon closer inspection, it's a pretty good game. I got a taste of how it would feel with amazing framerate (I stepped into a tent, the framerate was excellent as it didn't have to process much at all). I also found where I can buy my RAM (possibly the only place, and it has to be straight from Dell). 88 bucks for 512 :\. :(

Oh yeah, and where can you get a cheap horse, and how do u make sure it don't get stolen/run away. Stupid stolen horses keep going back to their master.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

You know you can run ;). And are you sure you're not crouched?
Yeah, I'm sure I'm not crouched and I am running. I even used the 3rd-person mode, and it really looks like he's walking in slowmotion :/

You know you can run ;). And are you sure you're not crouched?
Yeah, I'm sure I'm not crouched and I am running. I even used the 3rd-person mode, and it really looks like he's walking in slowmotion :/
I guess I just don't notice the slowness, because on my custom Mage, I chose Intelligence and Speed (go figure), and my constellation was the steed (plus 20 to speed). I knew right off the bat that walking slow is my biggest hate in games, and any way I can find better speed I will get it (think finding all the sets of Boots of Speed in BG2, or maxing the speed aug as fast as possible in Deus Ex).

Speed is amazingly important to all classes, whether you use it in combat or not. What was ur sign/attributes?

And I must say, the game is getting better the more I played it. Though a half-hour long horse ride through the jungle from Weynon Priory to Kvarith(sp?) at less than 20FPS was bogus. It really feels smooth though when indoors, and the combat is actually fun and not dangerously hard.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

How much diffrent is the combat from Morrowind? i read the book and it said that it had an all new combat system, but it seemd basicly the same except power attacks and n ormal attacks.

Argh, I hope a newbie character has a chance of hitting and drawing blood instead of stabbing a few hundred times at point blank before it connects :P

smithie3.jpg

The combat system is great. They added a whole bunch more different features. ^_^ Depending on how skilled you are with the weapon you're holding, you can knock your opponent down, disarm them, paralyze them, make them stagger, and you can voluntarily block this time and even use block attacks to throw your opponent off guard. The movement of your character and opponent is very very realistic. The combat system is amazing. :D BIG step up from Morrowind.

3898000bYVcx.png

Ok, so I bought Oblivion, but at 10fps, I don't feel I need to play it yet.

Everything but my vid card is very good, but my video card is ATI Radeon X300 series, could this be the problem? I can't used my better video-card because of PC-express, so I'd have to buy a new videocard. The low fps really bothers me, so I won't play it, just bothers me too much. Can anyone fill me in, is this the problem?

Thx.

Everything but my vid card is very good, but my video card is ATI Radeon X300 series, could this be the problem? I can't used my better video-card because of PC-express, so I'd have to buy a new videocard. The low fps really bothers me, so I won't play it, just bothers me too much. Can anyone fill me in, is this the problem?

Thx.

That is definitely not a factor... Knives up there is running it with a 9250 :P

smithie3.jpg

is this a 1st person game always?

You can switch it to 3rd person if you wish, but from my experience in morrowind, there really isnt anything to gain from doing so. Its much better to play 1st person.

Edit: Also for who asked me what kind of video card im using, i think this is the one that will be in the computer, from what ive read on the site, ya, its probably one of the best: NVIDIA GeForce FX series

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

is this a 1st person game always?
You can make it third person as you please.

Thx.

I'm running the same card, and it's pretty slow. Though my comp just sucks.

But as I've asked before, will upping from 512 RAM to 1gig of RAM increase my FPS much? I'm still on minimum settings, and the indoor environments are fine, but when riding a horse outdoors it does get a terrible FPS.

But I'm so hooked now, I can't stop. I want to skip school, and I haven't even thought of doing homework the past few days.

It grows on you (and I hope it grows on me more when I get more RAM).

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

Venison... Venecin sounds like some sort of medicine.

This game was worth double what I paid for it (yes, I paid for it). It brings my system (6800GT overclocked to 6800Ultra, A64 3700+, 1GB DDR400) to its knees, and I've been playing non stop for pretty much 14 hours. I figured I'd worked hard enough on uni stuff recently so I deserved a big break.

I've only played through the first quest for the main story and the first one for the thieves guild, but I think I have completed the dark brotherhood line - (spoiler I am now the listener for the night mother end of spoiler) and it was excellent, the story was great. I can see this will have me occupied for ages.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.