Almost Got Scammed? Want To Tell Your Story? Post It Here!

The_Sith

I was in world 111 sellin the nats i just made. This level 4 comes up and trades me i was thinkin oh no he probably wants all my nats for a bucket, 4 gp and a rusty sword.

So i thought id just see wat he wants and so i trade him, he puts up 500k and says he wants 1.5k nats so i was like sure while being quite

vigalante. Sure enough when it comes to the second screen 500k turns in to 50k. He then cancels trade goes "hah" and logs off.

So obviously i was a bit angry and wanted to report the guy except his name was ( usin an example not his real name) 12 12. then i thought how am i gonna report him ill probably get the spaces wrong. then all of a sudden a brain storm, i added him to my friends list from the conversation we had following up to the scam. Then i tried to manually add his name until a message came up sayin this player is already on your friends list. He had 8 spaces between his name so then i reported him for item scamming and now im pleased with myself

Im not asking for a noble prize or anything just wanted to share my story and wanted to know did you use the same method when confronting a scammer with a lot of spaces in between letters or did you use an alternate method.

koma1.png

koma1.png

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now I was in varrock bank, selling 1k of pure essence. So I decided to sell for about 80-100k depending on what teh person said.

Anyways some guy comes up and offers me a d-long and a toy horse. haha not so cleverly he kept putting up the d-long and then tkaing it off again, without me even going to accept.

poor thing, try again next time

v.jpg

I'd been really lucky to attend a high levelled player's party. I ended up going home that day 13/14 mil better off, which finally meant I had enough for full infinity! So I was asking around everywhere, and I made a thread on the official forums. I got a reply and this person said to meet at edge which was convenient because I was already there. I hopped to his world and he said I should hurry because he had to go soon. He said he was by the bridge just north of Edge bank, and I didn't think anything of it because I know that bridge isn't in the wildy.

As I approached him he ran off a bit more East into the forest between Edge and Varrock and started chopping a tree, I thought it was lag. This guy was level 50 or so anyway so there was no danger. I went to trade with him, and didn't realise that he was standing in the very edge of the wilderness, which meant I moved into it too.

Almost immediately I was ice barraged, and only then did I notice his high level friend a little further north ice barraging me repeatedly. He got me down to 26HP before I stopped panicking and managed to do a Lumbridge Teleport with the runes I had on me. I was lucky to survive.

Had I died I would have lost full dharoks, and the 11.5 Mil I had on me for the trade. It would have probably made me quit. I reported the noob that lured me, but didn't get the name of the level 104-106 player. I hope he is banned.

~Ian

newsig4ty.jpg

Retired Tip It Moderator | Zybez Radio DJ - Listen Here

I have only been scammed once and to be honest I kinda did it on purpose. I was pking and I pked r2h and rune scimitar. I then got attacked but my connection disconnected. When I re-connected I had lost alot and I started saying buying rune scimitar 25k. I put up 25k and person put rune scimitar. They changed it to iron scimitar and I realised it but I was so angry I just accepted it.

Also, didn't happen to me but my friend IRL does it alot. The 2 person trick and it works wonders. He has made over 5m with that trick ...

I was a gullible person when I was weaker...

One day, some guy PM'ed me saying he was a jagex staff. Last time I didn't know staff members have crowns next to their name. He asked me for my password (since there were no pins at that time) and I gave him... :cry:

The next day when I woke up early to play RuneScape, almost everything was gone... My rune armour and my cash, all efforts down the drain. So I decided to take a break from RuneScape to calm my nerves. I came back this year and I'm doing fine. I got my rune full back, (I got a rune square now, not kite.) but I still am recovering my massive loss in money.

cloud.jpg

egg3.PNG

ok, once this guy told me on chat, hey u got rune?

i said no

he said come to world now

i said ok

he traded me full rune with power ammy and rune scemmy and the works! for free!

then he said if i wanted to join his clan

i said yeah (to be nice) ((how could i not be nice after he was ultra nice))

then he said his clan was a bit religious

i said ok no problem

then he said we're all brothers and sisters here and we know all our clan members passes

i told myself...problem...

i said...uh...maybe i dont wanna be in ur clan im too busy and i dont like to have a boss.

he didnt say anything and logged out

next morning he says hey i need that rune back, i was gonna give it to my brother because it wasnt mine

i lied and told him "sorry dude i lost it in the wild about 5 mins ago"

he said what!?!? and got angry

pfffft! he got angry at me for trying to scam me? when he got backfired

i never seen him since

go noobs!

creeper%205000.gif

creeper%205000.gif

one day when i was lvl 50 or so i was trainin at hill giants. then a mod pms me. He even had the gold crown. He told me that i have been picked to be a moderator. So i say great...how do i sign up. He told me that he'll do it for me. I said ok. Sp then he asks for my password...that gave away the scam. I knew that mods never asks for yr password.But i was too late to report this guy.

sigbanksupportqd1.gif

one day when i was lvl 50 or so i was trainin at hill giants. then a mod pms me. He even had the gold crown. He told me that i have been picked to be a moderator. So i say great...how do i sign up. He told me that he'll do it for me. I said ok. Sp then he asks for my password...that gave away the scam. I knew that mods never asks for yr password.But i was too late to report this guy.

Cant happen, ur making it up. :roll:

Most probably he would tell you to check your message centre, and the only thing they would tell you is : Congratulations on become a moderator (player). We hope you enjoy it. If you have any questions pm our jagex mods.

4 words: MODS DONT STEAL PASSWORDS.

2nddraftqt6.jpg

Join the sodb now!

Thanks to misterxman for the great avatar!

Maybe it was silver and he was a player mod who wanted to steal your pass, 'cuz i think a Jagex mod would value his RuneScape account and his job over a level 50 account..

Lamest attempt at a lure ever.
No, Ive seen "selling easter egg 5m must be level 78 77 or 76 and meet at varrock bar unarmed.

well, i was selling 1.6k sharks on the forums (off topic: i still am if ya wanna buy :D ) and some person pms me to meet him at the varrock spirit tree, i thought it was a little odd, but i still went anyways, on my way there he said that i was to meet his friend there... still believing he wants to buy sharks i go... oh wait, he forgot his money... so i follow him to the bridge almost at the end of the river lum. ok... he doesn't move, lag perhaps... he goes 2 steps into the wild, i end up taking 1 step into the wild where his friend is just at the edge of the screen, ready to snare me, luckily i escape :D.i loose the first guy's friend going to edge bank.

being the smart cooky i am, i deposited my sharks and got some anti mage pking gear and asked if the friend where he was. he replied "come to bridge and i buy" so i went to meet him and once again he tried to lure me into the wild for the first guy to ambush me.

lets just say he won't try to lure anyone anymore 8-)

Yayyyyyy...

new scam u all should read!!! very convincing dont fall for it

today i was in edge and i got a random pm that said "do u want my account for free"

i added him and just said "sure y not" cuz i figured sumthin was up but hey... free account. thats when i realized he was standing near me and whoa!!!! hes lvl 101. so i thout hed say sumthing like too bad noob(im lvl 73) but instead....

he says "ok my pass is ..... and i have good pking stats and everything else is pretty good." then he logs off.

i check and its the real deal so im excited cuz the stats rocked so i change the pass and recovery questions and i check and the bank is wiped out except for non tradable stuff and sum member stuff too( like dragonstone ammy) and the friends list is empty.

sum random guy pmed me on the lvl 101 account and said thanks again for the account u rock. i just think that this guy quit rs and decided to giv away all his accounts.

i log off and do sum merchanting on my lvl 73 to get rid of alot of my stuff for the transfer and about an hour later i see that my lvl 101 logged in.

my heart sinks and sumhow the pass and recovery questions are changed and i hav no idea how.

i tried getting the account back but no luck and the guy didnt answer any of my pms.

the only thing that saved me was the ounce of suspicion and the fact that i needed to sell alot of stuff.

dont let this happen to u

live to kill...

live to die...

live to love...

since my main was on the broken down server i wanted to have some fun on my noob account and i found this noob (lvl21) who tried the wine of zammy scam. but i was too smart for him...

noob: man do you want 20k?

me: yes plz

noob: kk

me: can i have now?

noob: no listen

me: i want money now or else no following

noob: go and get wine of zamorak

me: can't you get it lazy

noob: and i pay 20k ( arrive at the temple) in here pray at the altar and get it

me: i don't know how to pick up items can you show me?

noob: click on it watch

me: might the monks attack me?

noob: watch they won't attack if you pray (pretencs to pray and pick up wine)

me: the wine is still there u didn't pray

noob: look i got some i just need more (trades and shows wine)

me: u can get some yourself

noob: no seriously i pay 10k

me: if it is so easy you can get it yourself

noob: cos i can only get it once a day i'm a member

me: that must really blow

noob: i pay

me: why do you need it

noob: for a quest

me: which one?

noob: i also have to get a wumple root or summin and a vial

me: what is the quest called?

noob: come on plz

me: what is the quest called

noob: (pause) druidic ritual

me: thats a member quest

noob: i know i am a member

me: you don't look like a member

noob: plz get it

me: put on a members item

noob: i ain't got any at the mo

me: is being a member good?

noob: plz man i pay you i beg of you i swear they don't kill you

me: do you like being a member? cos i might become one

noob: not really don't do it but as i am plz do it it will make my day i'll give you my staff

me: that was fun

noob: i need that wine

(i run off)

shows how desperate people can be for a bit of money...

(due to a bit of confusion on my part i accidently did it in my own topic and it got locked, so if you want to comment to it you can do so here)

kittenen4.png

Drag drops: D legs, D spear, shield half, d med

Obby Drops: Shield x 2, knife x 2, maul

Barrows drops : none yet :(

Treasure Trails: Guthix Robe legs, Zammy pl8body, pirate hat, Robin hood hat!!

new scam u all should read!!! very convincing dont fall for it

today i was in edge and i got a random pm that said "do u want my account for free"

i added him and just said "sure y not" cuz i figured sumthin was up but hey... free account. thats when i realized he was standing near me and whoa!!!! hes lvl 101. so i thout hed say sumthing like too bad noob(im lvl 73) but instead....

he says "ok my pass is ..... and i have good pking stats and everything else is pretty good." then he logs off.

i check and its the real deal so im excited cuz the stats rocked so i change the pass and recovery questions and i check and the bank is wiped out except for non tradable stuff and sum member stuff too( like dragonstone ammy) and the friends list is empty.

sum random guy pmed me on the lvl 101 account and said thanks again for the account u rock. i just think that this guy quit rs and decided to giv away all his accounts.

i log off and do sum merchanting on my lvl 73 to get rid of alot of my stuff for the transfer and about an hour later i see that my lvl 101 logged in.

my heart sinks and sumhow the pass and recovery questions are changed and i hav no idea how.

i tried getting the account back but no luck and the guy didnt answer any of my pms.

the only thing that saved me was the ounce of suspicion and the fact that i needed to sell alot of stuff.

dont let this happen to u

Eh...how is that a scam?

[Admin Edit: No naming names in a negative light]

I was bank sale-ing (word?) and this guy comes up and offers 1M for it all. No way it's worth 1 million, but I'm overjoyed. He starts asking me to take stuff off, which makes me even happier. He starts putting up random items, and it rang a bell. I emembered a scam story on this board, which the guy would put up stuff and change the money. Well, he changed it to 10K, which I declined, reported, and said "heehee.. nice try."

CONCLUSION: This board saved me thousands!

neraftdfw1.jpg

Sig credit goes to ThruItAll. :D

simpleholyhandgrenade.gif

i was scammed today on tues sep 19th aus. Some guy asked for my email address and i was like sure y not so i give 2 him. then when i log off to change world my pass changed! so i quickly use recov quest and change. i log back on and find all my stuff is gone btw only full rune nothing special. so i lost everything i worked hard for. im only lvl 64 as well.

how am i meant to report this? :(

i was scammed today on tues sep 19th aus. Some guy asked for my email address and i was like sure y not so i give 2 him. then when i log off to change world my pass changed! so i quickly use recov quest and change. i log back on and find all my stuff is gone btw only full rune nothing special. so i lost everything i worked hard for. im only lvl 64 as well.

how am i meant to report this? :(

you should never give your email to strange players, particularly the really strange ones.

kittenen4.png

Drag drops: D legs, D spear, shield half, d med

Obby Drops: Shield x 2, knife x 2, maul

Barrows drops : none yet :(

Treasure Trails: Guthix Robe legs, Zammy pl8body, pirate hat, Robin hood hat!!

:( i almost got scammed this one time 1 mil and it sucked but the n i caught him and he all freaked out and cussed then i reported him and he screamed and ran away it was funny :)

my usernames lilgandhi19

if im selling something tell yourself this

"i need to buy from lilgandhi19 i need to buy from lilgandhi19 i need to give lilgandhi19 a good cheap deal i need to give lilgandhi19 a good cheap deal"