Let's clarify a few things :) - Mea culpa!

Can't say I wouldn't have done the same if I was in your position.

However, the fact you took the position of Moderator knowing for well you were breaking the rules, deceiving us all on tip.it, abusing your position of role-model and friend, that saddens me.

No dice with me. I respected you (past tense), don't get me wrong, but you got your cummupence. I'm surprised you're not banned here as well.

Despite this, all the best with your education and your future career.

I'm really surprised that anyone's opinion on him would be changed at all. I don't see how he was 'deceiving' anyone of anything. What he did was on the side, and the way he presented himself was as a rolemodel. Him coming out and telling the truth now is really honorable. We were surprised that people found out this soon, but he could have easily just played innocent and people would have believed it. In no way was he 'abusing' any 'position' at all. What he did he kept hidden, which had no connection with the actual game and these forums as a rolemodel. Way to generalize a person by one action Bubsa.

There is nothing honourable in admitting your crime once it has been commited, this is mostly done to attract sympathy off the readers, which is obviously working. To be honourable would be to have owned up straight after the deed, but he didn't hoping he wouldn't get caught, thats not honourable, thats cowardice.

Presentations are nothing, its whats inside that counts, he broke one of the runescape rules that has no grey areas, you simply cannot trade rs items for any items outside of game. To do this as a player mod and as a tip.it forum mod shows disrespect to both parties, especially if the people he traded with knew he was in these positions. If he broke one rule so easily whats to say he didn't lie about breaking the others?

How can you say that what he did had no connection with the game? Every time someone sells gp for real life items it means someone that would not have been able to aquire that gp otherwise has, and they will use it most likely to gain skills or afford items they shouldn't have, thus affecting all of us.

Just a shame jagex didn't catch him til so late, when damage was already done.

Wow... we're only human

People auto and sell the autoed cash for RL cash. Atleast his money was legit earned. But I can understand where you're coming from. But I quit RS a while ago, so my viewpoint is the exact opposite since I just don't care about the game anymore or what goes on in it.

Well, like 2 days ago I'm on aim and one of my RS friends IMed me, for the first time in ages, saying "Duke is banned! Duke is banned!!!" I was like, what is he talking about? After like a few seconds of being blank, I realized what he was talking about.

I hope you did get some nice $ out of what you've sold. I still respect you, always will.

Just forget about all of this, keep enjoying college :) But don't have to much fun! :P

Hey Duke, listen to The All American Rejects "Move Along" if you still feel really bummed about what happened, good song.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad to see THE most amazing merchant banned and never got to meet him in runescape. Ah well, you shoulda been temp banned and giving a black mark or two. :?

something in my mind is telling me he ALREADY had 2 black marks ... dunno .... i hate a sixth sense ..... or at least my friends say so

2nddraftqt6.jpg

Join the sodb now!

Thanks to misterxman for the great avatar!

Can't really forgive you for breaking such a rule and being mod here against it, would be a bad example for others to think "it's OK" to do if you merchant, when imo any case can be as bad.

You seemed to be a great merchanter, respect for that kind of skill, but I didn't like that you did this as you'd certainly know your actions reflect what Tipit approves and appears to be.

As others said, no need to stoop to that level, a legit rl job is always better, games are optional. Good luck with life but some advice - having this attitude of hiding bad business and breaking trust can and usually leads to trouble in real life as well.

5637_s.gif

Pixel sigs by me.

Pixel Art

I'm tired of this crap, it's a game people, and we all need to get outside.

He abrely altered the game, and as you say this, millions of GP are being sold illegally. Duke is human, we all are. Like I have said, it's a game and I don't mind if he sold it, that's his choice. If you broke a rule or something, would you tell anyone it happened until you were accused of it? I try to slip away if I'm not accused, and I know every one of you has done the same thing.

I feel really sorry for you Duke. But if you cant do the time, don't do the crime. If I lost all that I probably would go crazy. Anyway I hope you still play rs. Everything has a good side to it. I think.. :?

I'm almost certain that a lot of people are disappointed in your use of something you did not earn to gain profit. It was against the rules, you knew it, you still did it even though you may have realised your mistake. Not enough to save your account.

Yet you actually came forward with the truth.

Even though what I think you did was utterly low/stupid/etc., you at least had the guts to come forward with it. For that, I do wish you luck in real life.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

However, the fact you took the position of Moderator knowing for well you were breaking the rules, deceiving us all on tip.it, abusing your position of role-model and friend, that saddens me.

No dice with me. I respected you (past tense), don't get me wrong, but you got your cummupence. I'm surprised you're not banned here as well.

I'm really surprised that anyone's opinion on him would be changed at all. I don't see how he was 'deceiving' anyone of anything. What he did was on the side, and the way he presented himself was as a rolemodel.

How was he deceiving? By doing something in secret, and presenting himself as a rolemodel.

Him coming out and telling the truth now is really honorable. We were surprised that people found out this soon, but he could have easily just played innocent and people would have believed it. In no way was he 'abusing' any 'position' at all. What he did he kept hidden, which had no connection with the actual game and these forums as a rolemodel. Way to generalize a person by one action Bubsa

It's not honourable because the only reason he did this was because he was caught. If he hadn't been caught on May 3rd, you can bet things would be now, how they were on May 2nd. Sure, 'fessing up now is better than playing innocent, but it's just the lesser of two evils.

summerpngwy6.jpg

Can't really forgive you for breaking such a rule and being mod here against it, would be a bad example for others to think "it's OK" to do if you merchant, when imo any case can be as bad.

You seemed to be a great merchanter, respect for that kind of skill, but I didn't like that you did this as you'd certainly know your actions reflect what Tipit approves and appears to be.

As others said, no need to stoop to that level, a legit rl job is always better, games are optional. Good luck with life but some advice - having this attitude of hiding bad business and breaking trust can and usually leads to trouble in real life as well.

lol, dont get me wrong, but didnt you sell sigs for rs cash?

thats rule breaking to you know.. if im wrong, tell me now.

I'm not really impressed by everyone stating that they are ok with it as you were using the money for yourself. You are part of a community now that try to ruin games like this for your own personal gain, which makes you no better than someone using a macro.

Its not like that.... Duke made one mistake A very understandable one... I'm guessing your still a kid and don't really understand yet that money matters when you get older....Personal Gain yes but it was necessary for survival. :wink:

Very true. Also, read the title of this thread "mea culpa" is latin for "my fault." He never ducks the blame for his actions, and his punishment is pretty severe, deserved, but severe nonetheless. I'd be furious if I was banned, and I've been playing this a lot less and have a lot less to lose than Duke did.

Ok, so we find out that all the people running macro programs are just here cos they have bills to pay? Thats fine then, cos im just a kid who has no idea about what money is all about. WE do not OWN anything on RuneScape, we pay to play on Jagexs property, if you sell stuff from it for personal gain then it is stealing. Dont tell me that anyone who breaks the law should be let off because they can make a few easy bucks because its not like that at all.

Get you head out of the dark hole it is in and look at the big picture.

He was banned for stealing. Period.

Yea so he sold stuff but. He's not just one of those random autoer noobs. This is Duke freedom were talking about one of the greatest and nicest players to have ever graced the world of runescape. He made one mistake and he is paying for it now But one mistake like that shouldn't change anyones opinion about him. Duke was a nice guy who will live on in the mind of many as one of the best of all time.

I find it amazing that there are not more people like Myself, Trixstar Bubsa and Frizoid coming out and not lowering ourselfs to giving sympathy a RULE BREAKER.

If Trixstar came on tommorow and said 'Yeah sorry all, it was me and 2 mates playing my account, but its ok, I was only doing it for myself, no-one got hurt by it so thats ok right?' She would be a rule breaker and no better than ANYONE else who breaks the rules.

I am a nice guy, and i rekon that there are a lot of nice people who run auto programs, or buy ingame cash, or sell ingame cash. But that does not push aside that he stole money from a company that provides fun for millions of people.

So yesterday he was a great person and now his entire existence can be summed up in two words: Rule breaker? Yes he broke a rule, but that in no way is a characteristic or trait that can fit with a person in this case. For example, someone can do a stupid thing, but that doesn't make them a stupid person. You guys are so bent on principal you're blinded by the fact that he broke the rule and that's all you see. It's not about giving sympathy or anything, it's just him letting everyone know what happeend and people acknowledging it. He isn't asking for sympathy.

(And by the way, Trixstar is a guy)

Duke Freedom, duke, dukey, fellow merchant and good friend.. I was starting to wonder what happened to you, I mean, I did try and ask around in world 2 fally park, but what use was that.. Dnt mess? Who is that? Lol.. you get the drift :P

Where do I start.. Giving a brief only of back in the day rsc.. Varrock castle world 1.. manja, gash, slice, me.. you.. were literally glued there :) I admit even when I had merchants under me bring the 'nats' in I would still hang around there to chat to everyone. From day one, I respected you and didn't see our wealth as a way to compete, but simply foundations to start a friendship.

All you merchants, be it old skool or new, will understand that merchants have to deal with excessive pms and constant chatting and trading, and also a calculator to hand, and a pen to jot down details just in case.. Yes, thats how dedicated you can be :P Well, Duke, you taught me to in fact take merchanting as an eased skills at times too.. Take a break to arrange an outfit for a few months (Black cav, remember :wink: ).. chat with friends and invest in more longterm items. All I can say is.. Thank you so much, no honestly, thank you.. for remaining a loyal old merchant and friend and also good example to those wishing to go into merchanting!

There is so much I could add to this.. but then it wouldn't be much of a briefing lol :lol: ..

Getting to mea culpa - Well, to be totally honest, I am disappointed at the fact that you were a tip it mod as well as a player mod - hand picked out of the thousands that play RS. Yes, there were real life situations which could influence RS a lot, but a major rule, that you and me know is highly important to Jagex these days, was broken.. *sigh*

But.. I can still say I respect you.. Not for your decision of RL trading.. but your general attitude to the whole RS community, both in game and on forums, before and after the ban. I think people will realise sooner or later, that RS has lost a great and memorable player.. who has brought so much to the RS economy and entire RS community. Don't you ever forget that.. or us! I don't want you to see all the replies and feel any less important to us than you were before. You have clearly admitted you were in the wrong, and even given RL details which can be embarassing. You have shown the community that you know where your morals lie and also where your immediate concerns were after you broke the rule.. Us!

I can't speak on behalf of everyone in the RS and tip it community, but I can clearly say I still respect you, and will always regardless..

Good luck with whatever you pursue in real life and with other games ( :wink: ).. Take this as a lesson of life.. Keep in touch via these forums.. I wish you the best with anything and everything Duke Freedom.. :)

Dnt Mess 8-) - Still an old merchant at heart :wink:

I remember you from rsc, you sold me once a yellow phat :P. Good luck with your studies, RuneScape is just a game, there is a life outside of it. I completely understand you and I do respect you now more than ever.

-Globeman

Okay, so after reading through 7 pages of posts just to make sure this wasn't repeated, here is my question.

Would Duke have been such a bad person if you used RS to make RL money because say-

His little sister needed surgery for a rare diesease or else she would die, and the family couldn't afford all of it...

One of his friends got involved in the mafia and needed to pay back some "loans" quick or else he could end up six feet under...

His big brother just got his left side torn to shreads from a roadside bomb in Iraq, the doctors can save him with no problems, but they are wondering about keeping his leg, it would cost the family a huge load of money and could burn a hole in their budget...

He and his parents couldn't afford the money to pay for college. He would be the first in his family to go, his parents try to provide yet they just can't make ends meet. He needs a quick way to make a load of money, so instead of grabbing a ski mask and a glock and running to his closest bank, he just used a game...

Now of course these are probably aren't true. The fact still remains, that I see these robots spewing things about breaking rules and such. Which makes sense, yet life isn't that black and white. Could these things be justifed if it was to save his little sister from death? Would you "burn in hell you rulebreaker" types be as harsh? Is it stealing? Maybe from someone sure, but what I respect Duke for is that fact that he made a mistake and he is learning from it. That is the whole reason why we have prisons, it is not for punishment, it is so these rulebreakers can learn from their mistakes and not do them again.

So I do respect Duke, not for his rulebreaking actions, but for the fact that he has admitted(with help) what he has done wrong and has learned from his mistakes.

Good luck with your travels and remember that old, over used saying "Everything happens for a reason."

I'm really surprised that anyone's opinion on him would be changed at all. I don't see how he was 'deceiving' anyone of anything. What he did was on the side, and the way he presented himself was as a rolemodel.

How was he deceiving? By doing something in secret, and presenting himself as a rolemodel.

Him coming out and telling the truth now is really honorable. We were surprised that people found out this soon, but he could have easily just played innocent and people would have believed it. In no way was he 'abusing' any 'position' at all. What he did he kept hidden, which had no connection with the actual game and these forums as a rolemodel. Way to generalize a person by one action Bubsa

It's not honourable because the only reason he did this was because he was caught. If he hadn't been caught on May 3rd, you can bet things would be now, how they were on May 2nd. Sure, 'fessing up now is better than playing innocent, but it's just the lesser of two evils.

Insane kinda answered everything I was going to reply to you Adam. Do you not see that, had he not have been banned, he would have continued on his way and we wouldn't even be having this discussion? Do you not see any deception behind that?

I also find it highly ironic hearing this from someone like you, as well. Someone who in their position of tip.it researcher was asking me to look into the source code for monster information. Yeah, don't think I've forgotten.

Yes, there is no denying that what some things Duke did in the game and on the forums was good work. I'd like to reitterate again that I wish him all the best in the future and his degree, as I don't believe something like RuneScape should be a reason to hold a personal, real life vendetta over a person. So Duke, good luck for what the future may bring, I'm very sincere in writing that. But the fact of the matter is, he broke the rules and should be treated like anyone else, and what's worse is, he was portraying to us that he was a role-model of a player, to stop cheaters in the community and the game, when he was doing nothing else but to encourage the cheating himself.

It pains me to say it, but, I say with confidence that 80%, maybe 90%, are only continuing to like/respect Duke, just because of who he is.

You did what u had to do , select of us understand due to being a college/univercity students. I can relate to it as well. I have respect that you succeeded in merchanting and earned your money , i have to compliment you on good idea.

You broke the rules, they are out there to be broken, not everyone is a saint.

Look at the bright side of it all: get more time to study:)

Good Luck! :wink:

untained.png

untained.png

untained.png

i don't blame you duke.. there is a huge appeal to sell your rs stuff, especially when you are in college.. man i'll miss seeing you on rs, because i just got members back on nubstyle and started playing on him again.. well i'll look forward to your posts on here at least, and hopefully we can still talk on msn or something. i'll miss ya a ton bud :(

siggy4jh.png

sig by Misterxman

Un-Retired from RS X-mas 2009, 93/99 Fishing, 105 combat.

He and his parents couldn't afford the money to pay for college. He would be the first in his family to go, his parents try to provide yet they just can't make ends meet. He needs a quick way to make a load of money, so instead of grabbing a ski mask and a glock and running to his closest bank, he just used a game...

Like Misterxman stated...

HE SHOULD HAVE FOUND A RL JOB!

His little sister needed surgery for a rare diesease or else she would die, and the family couldn't afford all of it...

One of his friends got involved in the mafia and needed to pay back some "loans" quick or else he could end up six feet under...

His big brother just got his left side torn to shreads from a roadside bomb in Iraq, the doctors can save him with no problems, but they are wondering about keeping his leg, it would cost the family a huge load of money and could burn a hole in their budget...

Irrelivent since none of them ever happened. Besides, these situations seem like they're from last weeks TV guide.

Now anyways on to the topic at hand...

I've seen this situation almost endlessly within society today; People with authority turning their back on their status in order to get ahead in real life. It's a tragedy to see the countless effected by this growing trend. However, since this isnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t a real life situation which is situated within a gameÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâæ I donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t care. Regardless of my opinion, his post-secondary concerns do not justify what he has done and shouldnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t receive obligatory ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬Åhi-fives, good luckÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

The self-proclaimed king of bronze.

Dam man :x Atleast Rares will go down :lol:

What all did you sell for real world cash?

Why diden't you get a job for cash?

Might have answers for those but I'm not reading all 7 pages yet.

Free College please!

Whatpulse team

My Youtube name is: birdman258

266ga.pngpikapopfg7.gif

My Mining Goal- Mining Rune Essence till level 99 8-) :^_^: :thumbsup: :wink:

mineruneessence6ku.jpg

I am not buying all the "I am sorry" "I was caught it's an honest cop gov" excuses.

Even hitler would have made himself look respectable if he had been brought before a jury.

Duke freedom had a duty and a responsibility to be and remain squeakier than clean. He had earned the (in retrospect misguided respect) of a lot of people through his seemingly honest efforts to be a respected merchant and a readable columnist. His job as a player mod and a tip-it mod.leant further credibility to his reputation and allowed him an unfair advantage over other players by dint of his authority and respect.

All is now revealed he is a cheater, a rule breaker and worst off all younger players may now think that because Duke did it its all right.

I am not among that camp but can understand why some of his fellow mods choose to raise a stout defence. They after all dealt with him on a day to day basis.

BUT

Stop defending him now.

He is not the same person you knew pre the ban.

He is now a non fellow mod.

He is now a proven real life trader.

He is now a role model to all that wished his ban revoked.

In my humble opinion he should not have been allowed to post an explanation here as the deed requires no explanation.

A crime is a crime no matter the motives if you knew the rules beforehand.

His explanation holds no water with me apart from the obvious desire to exploit the wealth accrued from a game played my most for fun rather than exploitation.

I wish I could say I cared about his ban but I donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t.

My only thoughts are another cheater removed can only be good for the game.

Esdxc37.png

man that really stinks for ya

i know you never liked me because i always attacked merchanters as being scum, but its just another way of playing the game i see now, sorry for that past.

and im just dieing to know, about how much cash did you roll in irl :wink:

Clean_Staker.png

man that really stinks for ya

i know you never liked me because i always attacked merchanters as being scum, but its just another way of playing the game i see now, sorry for that past.

and im just dieing to know, about how much cash did you roll in irl :wink:

Yeah I mean for college, you should have made in the 1000s? eh..

Anyway I don't think this loss of 200+ rares will affect the economy because they would have stayed on Duke's account in the first place.

I understand the allure of selling items for RL money, but I'm disappointed that you caved in to it.

I wish you hadn't done it, but I agree with Jagex's action in the matter.

(I am glad you came out and admitted to it though. I'd rather hear it from you than by rumor from someone else)

160vy.png

I'm not really impressed by everyone stating that they are ok with it as you were using the money for yourself. You are part of a community now that try to ruin games like this for your own personal gain, which makes you no better than someone using a macro.

And I am even less impressed that its the tip.it staff, I know you guys are co-workers, but if you're co-worker robs a bank you shouldn't pat him on the back and give him some candy.

It's a shame you made that decision Duke, hopefully it'll teach you an important real life lesson. If thats the case atleast you made the mistake on a game and not in real life.