Tip.it Times Presents: Construction!

oddfaery2

I've seen a lot of people complain about not being able to make money from the skill, and that actually surprises me :) I don't look at everything in the game as a way to make money, I look at it all as a form of fun :) It's a game after all, and games are supposed to be fun! I'm having fun building my house, albeit slowly, as I don't have a lot of money, but money really isn't important to me int he game :)

I do think that it needs to tie in to other skills a little more, there's the potential there for people to be able to make their own planks (maybe a quest that allows you to use the sawmill yourself? If not tied in with woodcutting or fletching?) you can already make your own cloth, even fine cloth, maybe that should be able to be used? And would be a wonderful way to use farming more effectively! Making beautiful gardens!

The people that are spending 500 per plank now, would still be paying, cos for whatever reason, they find it better to overpay, than to take the few minutes out to cut wood and get them turned into planks, so it would effectively still be a "money drain" to those rich enough to not care if they overpay - while letting some of the not so rich *work* their way to a ncier house :)

Oh, I do think it would be nice if there was a version of this for f2p also, not sure how they would do it, a few pre-made packages or soemthing? Really don't know how it would be able to be worked, but it would be nice :)

Overall, I'm loving the new skill - just so much fun! :D

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Certainly a good article, and i can definitely relate to the removal of money from runescape as a result of construction. to get my construction to 25 i have spent over 200k so far (and if i had more mnoney to spare i would have spent more) and at this rate its not going to get any cheaper. still a very good introduction to the game that will no doubt be extremely popular :wink:

Evil-1.png

Yes houses cost alot of money...but rs will hopefully make it so that u can craft your own planks with a kinfe or something...this acrticle is so true

scottresizingbt4go5.jpg

If u are reading this i am stealing your wallet....lol

I guess Jagex used this skill as an anti macro for a few days, macro's cutting yew will be sad to hear the demand for yew has gone down :P

Construction was made to be more of a deflation then an anti macro. Much of the macroing has already been killed with past updates, if I recall correctly. (I specifically remember reading about majority of macroing programs no longer working due to some change made by Jagex).

wow great article once again :wink: i do agree that its going to be expensive though... oh well thats life but i must say having clan meetings will be so easy now. For example -- Pm to everyone in the clan " Meeting at mooses house" thats gonna be exceptional :wink:

hows the weather up there. where the rich people live. currently, in the poor area its -1.

Nice!, A lil bit 'Odd', But none the less, NICE!

ive come to the conclusion that either odd is the editor, or its greatsilver worm

lol... i'm not even really playing now... and you say this every week :P

tipitcrewex8.jpg

Proud to have gotten 1800 skill total before access to fishing guild

Why make a house when you can rob one?

Great read this week. I have worked on my house off and on since it came out. I tend to pay for my work as I go by selling logs or planks. If you sell about 1/3 of what you make it almost pays for its self. If you are really wanting free xp in the one way to get it is limestone, but you only get 20 xp per stone. Still its free xp in a very costly skill.

I miss you Justice my angel on earth and now in heaven " quem di diligunt, adolescens moritur " for whom the gods love die young. April 6th 2005 - February 17th 2009

So many ppl think house building is soo cool!!! but the thing is...is what does a house do for u? its just there for show....there is no really need for it execpt maybe the kitchen for cooking

scottresizingbt4go5.jpg

If u are reading this i am stealing your wallet....lol

worries me a bit... i think i fooled myself again by buying a red mask and then the "never falling " rares just fell.

I really hope they go up again someday but its only my hoping

( flushing millions down the drain isn't as fun as most think)

6221st to 85 Slayer. ( Yippee)

So true :cry: ...

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

This is an interesting article, and I am interested to see how this plays out on runescapes economy as well as who becomes number 1 now. Did anyone notice the old nite slipped to 19th?

i r tink tht a11 ppl shud use g00d gr@m3r since g00d gr@m3r is ftw.

So many ppl think house building is soo cool!!! but the thing is...is what does a house do for u? its just there for show....there is no really need for it execpt maybe the kitchen for cooking

you can also create those magic unlimited teleportation portals

and make spell tablets

and you can use house teleport to get to rimmington, or yanille, or relleka quickly

This was what i posted on the rs forums, i can't be bothered retypeing so please ignore all the rs forum stuff. It still shows my views. My rs thread was Quick find code: 24-25-479-24270823

This week, as you all know, conrtruction came out. This is a idea i had and my reasons behind it. Please take time to read the whole thread and leave thoughtful comments below.

Following the creation of the construction skill, thousends of hard working player pour millions to make their homes better and smarter. I did the same, pouring all i could scrape into a lovly home. Don't get me wrong, i loved "PoH's" as much as everyone else, but i have no found a problem.

I hit level 44 today, and decided to celebrate with a brand new teak prize chest. I ran excitedly to my nearest stone mason, only to find that for 1 single sheet of gold leaf, I would have to shell out 130,000 gp. This is a rediculess amount given the fact that over my house, i will require 10, maybe 20, gold leaf.

Construction is the only skill where you are forced to have spent at least a mill before level 40. It would cause outrage if fletching cost 1 mill per log or it cost 500k to enter a rune crafting temple, and yet, with this wonderfull skill, people are forced to give away countless thousends of gp.

My Surrgestion is this: It should be possible to get materials like gold leaf for free but with alot of effort from the player. For example, Marble (currently over 300k for 1 block) could be mineable in a hard to reach agility dungeon under the legends guild and guarded by King Black Dragons. This would mean that not everybody would be able to reach it but a few lucky, and strong, players would make it. gold leaf could be made by high crafting and mining levels in a hammer in kelgrim, requiring high total levels or quest points.

This would stop the outrage at the inability to make relitivly low level items. I found that by the time i needed to buy gold leaf, i did not have the money. My idea would stop this by meaning that high levels could access materials that are required by low level contructors, keeping the enconomy steady.

Please leave comments below, Thank you for reading.

I don't post often on tipit forums, but this is an issue i feel strongly about.

You can definately expect all items to skyrocket in price even higher than they were before =)

You can expect molten lava, ess, nats, yew and mage logs, string, prayer pots, and countless other items to go up because people are going to need them. not just because people need them more, because people will be using them up faster. there will be a much faster flush of gold coming from the natural resouces (which are unlimited) to the palms of NPCs much faster than ever. i love it =)

Great article!

ive come to the conclusion that either odd is the editor, or its greatsilver worm

LOL, keep trying! We'll NEVER tell, it's a Crew secret. Even the mods don't know who the Editor is! It's much more fun this way, don't you think?

Remember, the SEARCH button is your friend. Use it!

but another game has already beaten Jagex to a construction skill. Its Ogre Island.although its called carpentry instead. But still Construction looks mighty better and enjoying to do. :lol:

C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\My Documents\My Pictures\maxsig28nv.gif

i spent over a mill to get to lv30!

and in the same day got reported for auto-typing cause i kept typing "selling oak logs 2k ea" over and over again, and wouldnt sell oak planks cheap to a mod.

Americans love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle.

George S. Patton

1242631666.png

Personally I think Jagex has gone overboard on trying to suck money out of the economy. I would dare say that a person could easily spend 50 mil making a top of the line house, if not more. That is ridiculous in my opinion. With most skills, any person can work on it and eventually get better at it. With construction, you HAVE to have money, and to build anything decent, you HAVE to spend a lot.

I thought the prices of adding monsters to dungeons, new rooms, redocorating, plank prices and relocation were expensive...then I went to buy some limestone when I hit 33 construction so I could make stone fireplaces, and I looked at the price of marble, gold leaf, and those magic crystal thingies and nearly fainted. Irl marble is not THAT rare, and gold leaf is just gold that has been slowly thinned out by being pressed between rollers. It's not that much more espensive than regular gold because the real value is the gold itself, not the process of making it into leaf. Why should it cost 325k for 1 marble fireplace or 130k for a rug?

I have some other minor gripes with construction like not being able to choose placement of furniture, or not being able to add and remove doors(which has made attempting to lay out how I want my house in advance, a nightmare and will result in my house being funky shaped). However I like the skill itself for the most part. Having your own little part of runescape is kinda nice. However....I just can't excuse the prices of some things. It destroys the continuity of the game by making certain items cost wwaaayyy more than they should. The cloth they introduced for construction is a perfect example. They're 650 each but you use the same darned cloth for a poop colored brown rugs as the most expensive rug you can have. Also, at 650 each, they're many many times the cost of a piece of silk, which can be bought in al kharid for a few gp, yet silk is a far more rare, expensive, and desirable fabric than some random type of cloth like wool or cotton.

As I mentioned before, the prices of gold leaf and marble are off the wall as well. I can understand the high prices of adding new rooms. Even the expense of dungeon monsters makes sense because who would want to trap and transport a hell hound for cheap? Construction is expensive (although that begs the question of why the starter rooms are so cheap, but the higher rooms are ridiculously expensive when they're the same size and they're all empty when added), irl building an addition to a home or a new home is over 80 dollars per square foot now(2000 square foot house = 160grand not including property).

So anyway, my point is that while carpentry is a good skill, it could've been better and I think it would have been if Jagex had focused more on making it a fun reward for the more advanced players, than on trying to suck every last dime out of the RS economy. In my opinion, you shouldn't sacrifice continuity and game balance in one area to make up for another shortcoming somewhere else.