Education within RuneScape.

Rose_2_Pure

RuneScape aims to provide an entertaining and fulfilling online gaming experience, one that people of all ages can enjoy. Moreover, we try to educate our players in ways that will help them develop essential skills that they could use in their everyday life.

A three-year study conducted by Dr Simon Bradford and Nic Crowe at Brunel University, found that our efforts are having a positive impact ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅWe noticed how they divided their time between work and play ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ an activity that is largely managed for schoolchildren and is often first learned with the independence of university educationÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ya it has eduction in it the problem is that the average noob (about 5 years old) dont have common sense so they complain about stuff there brains cant understand. (like how do you make glass? :roll: )

Dr_Brinner.png

ya it has eduction in it the problem is that the average noob (about 5 years old) dont have common sense so they complain about stuff there brains cant understand. (like how do you make glass? :roll: )

The average player is 12-14. Obviously if they are asking how to do something and not begging they want to play, but they just don't know what to do. I know I didn't know how to make glass for a long, long time. Now, it's people like you who think they are superior to others which pretty much ruin this game, not trying to insult you, telling you the truth through my eyes. And by the way, your post has nothing to do with there being education in Runescape.

Rose

The only thing I learned from RuneScape is to learn to do all you can DIY style.

Ranged Crave

EDIT- Ill make it clearer: Do everything you can by yourself, and dont ask anyone for help. I find some people take either forever to help you or just lie.

newsigwu9.png

I'M SO EMO HAHAHAHAHAHA

I've learned that making things over and over again apparently increases your technique and skill to be able to make completely different things.

Example:

Spinning bow strings will eventually teach you to craft dragon hide. Sweet!

icecube7.jpeg

That KB article is a load of malarkey...

Sorry, but playing an internet game will not make social skills or freinds.

There are more educational things out there than smacking your friend around with an r2h.

The ONLY thing this game has tought me is a tad bit about economy/marketing and typing skills.

I don't think most of you understand, this is talking about real life skills and education. Not in-game. How many of you actually read the whole thing?

Nah, I didn't bother to read. I learned from RS that most of the time you don't need to read what others have to say, as long as you have a guide.

Back on topic, I haven't really learned anything from runescape that transfers over into real life. Nothing that I already knew that is.

icecube7.jpeg

That KB article is a load of malarkey...

Sorry, but playing an internet game will not make social skills or freinds.

There are more educational things out there than smacking your friend around with an r2h.

The ONLY thing this game has tought me is a tad bit about economy/marketing and typing skills.

Yes, but most of this is based on a study by two highly intelligent people who were studying children's behaviours and reactions to things in the game:

A three-year study conducted by Dr Simon Bradford and Nic Crowe at Brunel University, found that our efforts are having a positive impact ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅWe noticed how they divided their time between work and play ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ an activity that is largely managed for schoolchildren and is often first learned with the independence of university educationÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

I don't think most of you understand, this is talking about real life skills and education. Not in-game. How many of you actually read the whole thing?

Nah, I didn't bother to read. I learned from RS that most of the time you don't need to read what others have to say, as long as you have a guide.

Back on topic, I haven't really learned anything from runescape that transfers over into real life. Nothing that I already knew that is.

If you didn't read it then don't bother posting it's just spam, and when you grow old enough to get a job try saying "most of the time you don't need to read what others have to say, as long as you have a guide" to your boss and see how far you get into the buisness.

Rose

If you didn't read it then don't bother posting it's just spam, and when you grow old enough to get a job try saying "most of the time you don't need to read what others have to say, as long as you have a guide" to your boss and see how far you get into the buisness.

Rose

Lol...

You don't have a sense of humor do you?

I thought it was pretty obvious my first section of my post was meant to be sarcastic or possibly humorous... then the second half more serious.

Jeez, get out a little more.

PS: Ya I am old enough to drive a car and have a job, and I do both.

icecube7.jpeg

Ive learnt a few minor facts from rs, one helped me in science moudlar exam :) , think it was something to do with glass? cant remember.

Altogether you dont learn much from rs, the economy bit is just common sense and just refreshes your knowledge of deflation, inflation and the rs economy is far different from the real world economies.

The damage to your social life outweighs the educational part, you can easily get addicted to this game and some people stop going out altogether, self restraint is hard for some people and i swear some parts of the game are made just to get you hooked.

Chris_2_8.png

I've learnt lots of english from rs... I compared some old posts here on TIF to my grammar today...

And some worlds also, that I look up in an online dictionary.

English is my 3rd language, so I guess I didn't speak it well 2 years ago. But my way to type is a lot more... Mature than it was back then

Uula.png

I've learnt various things from runescape heres just some

copper and tin make bronze

iron and coal makes steel

Building a house costs a lot of money

If you get caught stealing you go to jail (so dont get caught :lol: )

Farming takes a long time

and lastly, you can fish with feathers :-$

My Blog

2 Visage Drops.

Over 1800 Castle Wars Tickets..

110715145129.png

Errr.png

The negative effects of rs GREAAAAAATLY beat the positive educational effects.

In grade 9 all i did was play runescape in my free time and although I was pretty popular in rs and had like 200 rs friends, I didn't have any social skills in real life and didn't actually develop social skills until like grade 12! It's a game where you can play for hours without actually thinking only "clicking". It's a pretty big time waster! THere's lots of other things you can do other than rs that is more useful. The game is fun though!

THe only thing i ever got from rs that's useful is my pro mad skills at "runelink" (Connect 4).

( and all the friends i've met!)

i find that it can be educating in that there are so many different ways to play the game, and so many different ways a certian game style can be played. pures, staker, skiller, merchant, etc

legends2.jpg

I'm 15 and I have to admit I have learnt a lot in the past 2 years thanks to RS. A lot of them Science related like making glass, coal, iron, tin, copper etc.

Also my typing skills have improved a lot. If it wasnt for RS, or slightly MSN, then I would not be able to type as fast as I can today, as I'm typing this I'm not looking at the keyboard :D

Economy and about investing money for the future I have learnt. Also learnt about print screening. My IT teacher said I am fantastic at them. All thanks to RS.

Retired 8th October 2007 | 99 Fishing | 99 Cooking | Owner of a Red Mask and 2 Santa Hats |

runescape really keeps my math skills together... because any more i dont really do math unless it has something to do with buying or exp this or that.

and still thats not a big deal. just keeps me good with general low lvl math...i dont see alegbra creeping into runescape much. the most complex mathematical situations ive seen used on a regular basis is pest control points breaking down ((lvl * lvl) / 6) *110 and thats basic 6th grade stuff i think.

education in runescape? Man who would of guess. Hold on i got to go get 2 more levels till another combat level because you need 4 melee levels for a combat so 2/4 means I'm half way there! wOOt I'm hooked on runescape!

tFtfA.jpg

i thnk its gr8 im only 12 and its good because if u do get hacked or sumthing then u'll learn not to do the same stupid thing again when its for real irl cash...

wendigo66.jpeg

click my sig for my blog!!!

Thanks everyone for the sigs they pwn!

No. Why should i give presents for someone in rs?

Most selfish thing I've ever heard