Observing the RS community: not picking up your drops

Sumpta

I doubted whether to post this in rants, but it isn't a rant, really more of a tendency I've been observing in RS (p2p) for a while now: a lot of people don't pick up their drops.

In some cases, this is perfectly understandable:

- the drops aren't worthwhile the time you lose picking them up (i.e. 5 - 25 coins, waterfilled skins, bronze/iron/steel junk etc)

- You need to save space for the better drops, for example at blue drags: the bones/hides are worth more than that one mithril shield

- You're doing slayer and want to finish your task in one go: you need the space for food and the best drops

However, yesterday I was killing cockatrice(s?) for my herblore. I love them, every time I go there, I leave with 50 nats, a lvl 2 clue scroll, 20 limps and some random seeds/herbs. After a while, a lvl 80-something pops in (wearing rune and dragon longsword - I don't mean this derogatively, but it does signal he's not ÃÆÃâÃâüberwealthy). He says "omg, noob birds, they don't drop anything good". Amongst all the other drops, he leaves all the nats on the ground. None of the situations above apply: nats are stackable, only taking up one space. The cockatrice don't drop many better things. And about 15k for 15 mins of slaying isn't that bad.

This is not the first time that I see this kind of behaviour with lower high-levels. People seem to think that now they have reached a decent level, it's so uncool to pick up "lower" stuff.

What's up with this? Again, it's not a rant, because it benefits me rather than annoy me (I left with 80+ nats, my usual clue and lots of limps in no time), but I don't get it. Any thoughts on this? Has making money become so easy that people snub monster drops?

Everytime I do them for slayer tasks, I always pick up the nats, and if I have room limpwurts and herbs.

I think the player you saw was an exception, as I rarely see people act like that and leave items like natures on the floor. I do see the occasional player leave limps and herbs.

No longer playing Runescape, I caught the WoW bug.

sometimes players don't bother to pick up em if they are like 1 or 2 runes... and if they are hurry... also rich players

I would think not, saying I think of myself as rather wealthy(Green p hat+dragon+barrows) Yet I pick up nats and herbs. Limps if I have room.

Qizx2- Archmage

Personnumber100- Warlock for life.

Would you?

I always try to pick up some better unes (even cosmics), and recently I've started to pick up all the coins, they all sum up :) For some lower lvl stuff (mith, addy and other) I always have some nats and fires/staff if I'm going to be there for long, it really helps, you'll propably get more items you don't want to keep, neither drop than those inventory spaces alching items take :wink:

6,521th to 99 woodcutting | Fletching 98/99 |

Idarodo | Combat 90 | Total 1565+ | 38m+ total exp

Retired.

Has making money become so easy that people snub monster drops?

I think this is the answer. 15K in 15 minutes isn't much. For some people it is even more efficient to not pick up the drops, not even nats.

People don't always pick up drops...and this has been going on since rsc...so it isn't anything new.

Tell you what, if i'm killing something, and i don't want to pick up drops...well, i don't have to. Now if you want to take advantage of the situation and pick up my drop...well you sure can....

w4M8t.png

I have to agree, a lot of people don't pick up a lot of good drops and after some time when you've collected, you've got 2x or maybe even more times more natures than you should have if they didn't leave it on the ground. It's good, you can get richer that way.

damage112bs4.gif

I've noticed this too... particularly at the chaos druids under edge, I pick up the laws that other people leave... it's suprising how many people leave laws on the ground. Although this may just be here because people can AFK train and they don't notice their drops.

xseismicx5dw8.png

I think that person would be an exception as well. As an 85 slayer, I notice a lot of my fellow players up here in the slayer tower picking up the 132 coins the abbys drop. But yet they'll leave the single adamantite bars they also drop. However, not much gets left, even with higher level slayers.

I have seen this alot..

And yes if you left a gem on the floor it was me the lvl 97 noob who took it, you can see me walking around picking up random junk on my travles i would say i make well over 200k every 5 days with stuff i pick up ( My own & others drops)

Bones i'll take them whats 2 sec's to grab an item off the floor, i have been called a noob many times while at the fishing guild for picking up peoples gems.. OMGZ LVL 97 "NOOB!!111" things like that :-k

normally, the ONLY time i will ever leave a drop/drop an item out of my inventory is when i am making room for something that is worth more.

i pick up people's coins and runes usually, when i'm doing a slayer assignment. usually pick up unidentified herbs, too.

simpleholyhandgrenade.gif

holygrail-1.jpg

I completely echo your statement. I always gather every coin and all stackable items such as runes no matter how low they are. I usually leave steel items such as steel axes at Fire Giants because I either have no room, but it also doesn't alch for the same/more than 1 Nature rune. Sometime when I camp at Fire Giants, poeple leave all drops bar the good ones of course, I get their big bones (free prayer exp) and pick up the herbs they leave behind, and often I have IDed it and it has been a Ranarr, free 7k for moi. :D

I let them do it, as its all to my gain. :P

sigdu0.gif

Quit RS to play real games. :P Bye TIF, miss you.

I hate it.

I train at the Fire Giants under the waterfall and everyday I have to switch a few times because someone is leaving everything on the floor (bones, coins runes). I don't like picking up other peoples stuff and just seeing it there puts me off training :\.

<3

most drops are just not worth picking up

like coins from fire giants, black demons, etc

they are usually like 100 gp

although they do stack up in time, i'd rather not waste the extra 2 seconds

big bones are not worth burying imo

they are like 16 exp?

a whole slayer task would be like 2-3k exp in burying big bones

that would take 10+ mins more to pick up and bury them

What?

m_theory11.png

I pick up anything that I have room for. If someone hasnt picked it up by the time it is visable to everyone, then its fair game. I also agree that all these items add up, and can make you alot of money over time.

Obssesive compulsive - not me, I`m just totally addicted to RS :D

Some people are like that, they don't think ahead. I always pick up all the runes I get from monster drops, and noticed one day I had over 40k chaos runes \'

It may seem worthless at the time, but things add up. I know I've gotten a good number of nats from monsters also. Since I don't like runecrafting much, this has saved me quite a bit of training and money as I didn't have to buy as many of them, if I needed too.

If Jagex ever made a perfect update, there would be players complaining about nothing to complain about.

[hide=My Stats]Jake_Corsair.png[/hide]

Why is everyone in such a tearing hurry? I regularly spend a minute or so collecting limps just off a well-travelled path, where apparantly a lot of ostentatiously wealthy or 'goal-oriented' types turn their noses at them. I'f I'm doing daggs for slayer or falador guards for clues i'll snap up a single coin and bury any spare bones in the time between respawns.

jiggeryqua.png