Do you believe in God?

Kryptix

que sara sara (sp) "whatever will be will be" something something see. Who sings that? I think my mom used to sing that to me when I was really little but the names escaping me.

Edit:

yeah I saw that one but who first sang it.

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

que sara sara (sp) "whatever will be will be" something something see. Who sings that? I think my mom used to sing that to me when I was really little but the names escaping me.

Ned Flanders sings it in the Simpsons episode with the meteor.. :P

I'm agnostic :o

Atheists are just as ignorant as believers.

I believe in what science proves. If god is real, so be it. If he is not, so be it. Till that time cares religious debate will always end in a flame war, and I will sit back and laugh and play devils advocate for both sides trying to fight this ridiculous argument.

Thanks for your time.

P.S ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ I believe many of you are mixing up the terms atheist and agnostic. People who are atheist disbelieve god when science has proven beyond a doubt that god exists. Agnostics are fence sitterÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s.

I'm agnostic :o

Atheists are just as ignorant as believers.

I believe in what science proves. If god is real, so be it. If he is not, so be it. Till that time cares religious debate will always end in a flame war, and I will sit back and laugh and play devils advocate for both sides trying to fight this ridiculous argument.

Thanks for your time.

P.S ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ I believe many of you are mixing up the terms atheist and agnostic. People who are atheist disbelieve god when science has proven beyond a doubt that god exists. Agnostics are fence sitterÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s.

I'm sorry, but I have to point this out. Philosophically, nothing can be proven in science, either by inductive OR deductive reasoning. Science does not PROVE anything. Ever. Also, it cannot disprove anything, as there are so many variables in a postulate or experiment that could effect the end result that it could never be determined with any certinty if it was the postulate that was faulty, or if there was another factor that changed the outcome of the experiment.

I'm agnostic, and I have a pragamatic view of relativity towards god in general. And I have to say, I've come to the same conclusion; atheists are not faithless as they sometimes claim to be, as their faith asserts that there is no god. Agnosticism is, as far as I have been able to see, faithless.

I'm sorry, but I have to point this out. Philosophically, nothing can be proven in science, either by inductive OR deductive reasoning. Science does not PROVE anything. Ever. Also, it cannot disprove anything, as there are so many variables in a postulate or experiment that could effect the end result that it could never be determined with any certinty if it was the postulate that was faulty, or if there was another factor that changed the outcome of the experiment.

I agree with the point that about proving within reason, as science is only an interpretation of what is happening in the universe (as definition has it, however science can explain phenomena to almost 0 degree's of error.). An alien's version of classical physics would be completely different from ours but will prove the exact things (universal phenomena). If god ever exerts a non-philosophical (as faith, books etc. is philosophy rather then scientific measurement) presence over the universe (which can be measured, like that will happen) then we can come to a solution.

But you have to understand that god the creator of the universe can be scientifically deducted however a Christian god can not (until any real world measurement is realised). So basically I will wait till god (as a Christian god, Multi-verse theory etc.) can be shown to be correct with almost 0 degree of error.

well i believe in god and it helps me think about making the right decision during the day, and everyone who doesnt believe in god what will happen when you die, and it is true. :shock:

well i believe in god and it helps me think about making the right decision during the day, and everyone who doesnt believe in god what will happen when you die, and it is true. :shock:

And what happens if you die and actually it was one of the other religions that was true, not the one you believe in?

well i believe in god and it helps me think about making the right decision during the day

Why does god help you make the right decisions? Do you consider yourself morally inept without the guidence of some higher power? Or are you simply afraid of going to hell if you don't do what god thinks is right? If that is the case, then if you didn't listen to god, you'd be a horrible person that would do all sorts of bad things.

I am agnostic, but I have morals. I don't hurt people, I try to make the world as wonderful a place as possible. I'm even going to become a public school teacher. I don't do any of this because a higher power told me to, or because I'm afraid that if I do something bad, I'll get punished, and as such do good.

Basically, you shouldn't need to ask someone what is or isn't right. And you should certianly never "behave because if you don't, bad things will happen." That would mean that if that threat were no longer present, you'd have no inhibitions about behaving badly.

everyone who doesnt believe in god what will happen when you die, and it is true. :shock:

How do you know? Are you dead? Have you died previously? Have you seen the afterlife? Have you personally spoken with god?

You get all your information from the bible, don't you? God didn't write it, despite what some of the more radical right wing would have you believe. It was written by men, it was altered over the centuries by men, and it is a work of man. I agree that there are some parts of the bible that are grounded in histroical fact, but most good stories are based on fact in some way, and are embellished later.

As it is a work of man, it is inherantly fallible. What if they were wrong? Guessing for a moment that there IS a god, how can you know that it intends for you to follow any specific religion?

Another thing that has bothered me for a while, whatever happened to the other gods? Judaica is monotheistic religion, and basically the father of two of the other major world religions, Islam and Christianity, that inhereted the monotheistic traits, I'm sure we all know that. However, the ten commandments state that "no other god shall be worshipped before me", or something to that effect. This implies, to me, that there are other gods, but that Islam, Judica and Christianity choose to worship ONLY Yah-wey. So I've really come to wonder, where did the other gods go?

I do, I was born and raised that way, and this topic is just messed up. Nobody's changing anyone else's opinion, no absolute, infallible proof can be shown on either side, and, well, we'll see who's right and who's wrong when we die, eh? :)

well i believe in god and it helps me think about making the right decision during the day

Why does god help you make the right decisions? Do you consider yourself morally inept without the guidence of some higher power? Or are you simply afraid of going to hell if you don't do what god thinks is right? If that is the case, then if you didn't listen to god, you'd be a horrible person that would do all sorts of bad things.

I am agnostic, but I have morals. I don't hurt people, I try to make the world as wonderful a place as possible. I'm even going to become a public school teacher. I don't do any of this because a higher power told me to, or because I'm afraid that if I do something bad, I'll get punished, and as such do good.

Basically, you shouldn't need to ask someone what is or isn't right. And you should certianly never "behave because if you don't, bad things will happen." That would mean that if that threat were no longer present, you'd have no inhibitions about behaving badly.

True. there is no one controling use. (Well in socity yes, but not in a god way). We are free to be want we want, and to act the way we want. i know its not right, but i do bad stuff some times. but most of the time i just act like a good kid. Dont let a religion controle your life, live life the way you want (Well if you want to follow the reliogn becase you truly belive, then go for it.)

As for the ding thing and it will come. well we cant really know what comes, so as Ph33r3d_1 said, we will have to wait until death.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

I am agnostic, but I have morals.

What makes your morals more right than a Nazi's, for example?

summerpngwy6.jpg

Some say that our morals are just our 'herd instinct' that has been developed by evolution. How can that be possible?

Say you hear a man screaming for help. You have 2 different instincts that rise up in you. One is to ignore the man's cry for help and keep yourself safe. The other is that you should help the man.

Now, the desire to keep yourself safe is obviously the stronger of the 2 instincts, but something inside of you is telling you that helping him is the 'right' thing to do.

That thing which tells you which instinct is right cannot be one of the instincts itself, it must be some sort of 'standard' or 'rule' that is above that instinct. The sheet of paper which tells you which note to play on the piano is not one of the notes itself is it? No, it isn't. In the same way, the standard which tells us which instinct is correct cannot be an instinct itself.

There is a set rule that governs out behaviour. Every human knows the standard by heart, yet we all choose to disobey it.

(paraphrased from Mere Christianity)

Insane, I think that is the reasoning you were going to get to eventually, I'll let you finish it off as I am very tired and am having my wisdom teeth out in the morning.

Punctuation.gif

"In so far as I am Man I am the chief of creatures. In so far as I am a man I am the chief of sinners." - G.K. Chesterton

Naw... I was going to take a couple of his/her responses first.

Basically it boils down to that without the existence of a God to set the moral standard - there is no moral standard.

Some may say that there's moral safety in numbers, but the Nazi's were a numerous people that believed exterminating Jews was morally correct, or a moral obligation.

What is your moral standard based on if there is no God to set it?

summerpngwy6.jpg

some roundabout moral argument

Morals where inbred by parents who got them from parents. All the way up the heirachy of civilisation. Cavemen wouldnt give a rats [wagon] if you where in trouble. But civilisation and compassion have evoulved us into morally instinctive people. If morals came from god then why are their christian criminals?

some roundabout moral argument

Morals where inbred by parents who got them from parents. All the way up the heirachy of civilisation. Cavemen wouldnt give a rats wagon if you where in trouble. But civilisation and compassion have evoulved us into morally instinctive people. If morals came from god then why are their christian criminals?

Did you happen to read my (actually C. S. Lewis's) argument about how morals are not simply the result of a herd instinct or something that has been developed over time? I didn't explain it as thoroughly(sp?) as I would have liked, but I'm very tired. I would recommend reading Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis, as it deals with that question and many similar ones.

By the way, don't take for granted that just because you learn something from your parents, that it was simply made up by them and the generations before. You learned mathmatics from older people, but they would still exist if they hadn't taught you. Morals falls into the same class as math. You may have learned it from your parents, but they are there anyway.

Punctuation.gif

"In so far as I am Man I am the chief of creatures. In so far as I am a man I am the chief of sinners." - G.K. Chesterton

Save another and they are in your debt, help another and they will be gratefull. Thats where the instinct comes from, making backup, friends to help you out in future, securing your assets. Whatever you want to call it. This grew into civilarity, heirarchy, gentlemen, nobels, aristocraty. Eventually it became second nature and people taught their kids.

Dont give me crap about the musing of christian fiction writers, and calling it proof.

This is where my pragmatic and relative views come into play. Nazis did what THEY thought was right. It was part of their moral structure. My morality is based on not hurting others, and collecting knowledge. That is what is right for me. Therefore, according to my views, the Nazis were wrong, and indeed, they were horrible people.

Society. Cultures naturally develop a system to keep themselves from being destroyed from within. Those that don't, well, they're destoryed pretty quickly. As an example, killing innocents. That's wrong in every modern society, as well as most of the socities in history. All of our moral structures are based on what our society tells us. This varies with each culture, but the succesful ones have a particular set of rules that are pretty standardized. There are moral issues that lay further out on the spectrum that will vary from culture to culture. Take for example, a case of the differences between Western Europe and the United States. I am a resident of the US, and when I travel to Europe, I'm amazed by the liberal views on sexuality. In the US, to find any "dirty magazines" or such material, you have to work pretty hard at getting it. In Europe, most news stands have a section devoted to these publications.

Some say that our morals are just our 'herd instinct' that has been developed by evolution. How can that be possible?

Say you hear a man screaming for help. You have 2 different instincts that rise up in you. One is to ignore the man's cry for help and keep yourself safe. The other is that you should help the man.

Now, the desire to keep yourself safe is obviously the stronger of the 2 instincts, but something inside of you is telling you that helping him is the 'right' thing to do.

Herd instinct would automatically lead us to protect each other. Furthermore, I propose that there are very few actions that we undertake that we do not profit in some way from. It could be monetary, social, or any number of other factors. In fact, we strive to profit from every possible situation. We are inherantly capitalistic. We like to win, we like to be better then others. In saving the screaming man, you gain a friend, or a servent, or whatever. You gain a resource. [credit to Usara for making this point first] I feel that your final decision is ultimatly determined on what course of action will benefit you most. The base questions are, "What could I lose?" and "What could I gain?". Religion adds a third question to the set, "What will god think if I do this?" If anyone can think of a list of five different actions which are not in some way beneficial to themselves, I would really like to hear it.

I'll take one off the list, as I know that it's coming, that would be charity, giving money or land or some such to another person or a group. What this does is buy you social acclaim. People think you're a nice guy, and that's always a good thing to have people think.

Moral relativity is the phrase of the month. What is right to you, may not be right to me and vice versa. You have no more right to tell me what is moral then I do you.

I have no intentions of killing anything or anybody unless I'm going to eat it (or if it tries to kill me). I also believe I'm not a bad person for eating animals because all other carnivore animals need to do that to survive as well. Humans are animals as well, just with more developed brains.

Naw... I was going to take a couple of his/her responses first.

Basically it boils down to that without the existence of a God to set the moral standard - there is no moral standard.

Some may say that there's moral safety in numbers, but the Nazi's were a numerous people that believed exterminating Jews was morally correct, or a moral obligation.

You do know the Nazi's believed in god as well! God gave them Germany and was on their side. God is always on your side, the believed in a god yet were what you call morally incorrect.

I say trends make morals, without people to make the trends there would be no need for morals or god for that matter. E.g. it was common in Italy (might still be for all I know) for women to be groped and was morally acceptable behaviour, but most countries would find that disrespectful.

Guest crazed

I do believe in god.

I can't think of another rational explanation for how the universe, creatures and humans were created.

I know, people site the big bang theory, but where did that stuff come from? Where did space come from?

Also, humans were created with many necesary mechanisms for survival.

Take food for an example... Why does a big mac taste so much better than my mom's boca burgers? Because it has more fat and calories, two things very necessary for survival. What if humans didn't get hungry? We wouldn't have a drive to eat. What if people didn't feel pain? We would do stupid things to injure/kill ourselves that aren't good for us in the long run.

Humans were created with all these things plus many more, and I don't see how science creates these mechanisms.

Finally, I can't see an emptiness after death. What is nothingness? What happens? I believe there is a god after life.

I do believe in god.

I can't think of another rational explanation for how the universe, creatures and humans were created.

I know, people site the big bang theory, but where did that stuff come from? Where did space come from?

Also, humans were created with many necesary mechanisms for survival.

Take food for an example... Why does a big mac taste so much better than my mom's boca burgers? Because it has more fat and calories, two things very necessary for survival. What if humans didn't get hungry? We wouldn't have a drive to eat. What if people didn't feel pain? We would do stupid things to injure/kill ourselves that aren't good for us in the long run.

Humans were created with all these things plus many more, and I don't see how science creates these mechanisms.

Finally, I can't see an emptiness after death. What is nothingness? What happens? I believe there is a god after life.

good point except for one thing... who says science is creating it. science is nothing more then the way to explain it, without going supernatural, spirtual, and religious. and the reason it catches on so many people is becase it all makes sense. well atleas some of it does. doubt i could figure the one thing in science compleatly..

women.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

i'm sick and tired of people posting who have no idea what they're talking about. Here is my main reason

1) for all the people who say they believe in God and that he is their ruler need to read the Bible. According to the Bible when God created the universe as we know it he created man. Before man creation God was in heaven with his angels. it states in the Bible that the angels were created for one sole purpose..to serve God. That means that they have no free will and are the eqvialant (sorry my spellings horrible) of puppets. However humans have a choice of whether or not to serve and believe in God. Also for people who say they would believe in God but they don't want anyone telling them what to do should also read the Bible.

If you have any disagreements with this for any reason i respect your opinon but don't start flaming me.

Also if you can't tell already yes i do believe in God.