Abyssalwhip

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously virtually everything in rs is this kind of thing

Like examines all state the obvious or are a reference to something

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Barrows ... it's a district name very close to Jagex HQ

While that may be true...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrows

I live next to "Lumby road" Haven't seen a load of noobs down it though :P

Monty Python:

-Lumberjack Leif's (Miscellania) examine is "He's a lumberjack and he's ok", referring to Monty Python's Lumberjack Song.

-An injured fighter in the Duel Arena says "It's just a flesh wound", referring to the Black Knight in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

-During the Royal Trouble quest, certain citizens say "You're the king? Well, I didn't vote for you", referring to the scene in Holy Grail where Arthur talks to the two peasants about the election of a king.

-Using a Raw/Cooked Herring on any tree will get you the message "This is not the mightiest tree in the forest", referring to Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Particularly the scene with the Knights who say Ni).

-The dancing knights on the table in the Party Hall are a reference to the Camelot song in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, where many knights dance on tables (Whenever they're able).

-On Lunar Isle, examine Bouquet Mac Hyacinth to get the examine "Should I pronounce it bucket?", referring to a Monty Python sketch where Mrs. Bouquet's name is pronounced as "bucket".

Internet:

-Certain quests have cutscenes with fake players in them, with names containing numbers and such. They also use internet speak like "W00t" and "Lol". These quests are Garden of Tranquillity, My Arm's Big Adventure, A Tail of Two Cats, and there's also the Draynor bank robbery video.

-In My Arm's Big Adventure, My Arm will start farming, gaining a Farming level. Then he will say "W00t - Farming level!"

-In My Arm's Big Adventure, My Arm says he doesn't find his name that weird. He keeps seeing people with numbers and things that aren't even words in their names!

-The Young Sea Snakes in the Miscellania tunnel have the examine "Snake, snake, oh, it's a young snake", referring to the Badger Badger Badger flash.

Movies/TV:

-The Message of the Week for the week of October 23rd, "All work and no play makes Zamorak a dull boy", is a reference to the movie The Shining, where the main character, Jack, types the line "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" over and over on a typewriter.

-The RuneScape song "Army of Darkness". There is a movie called Army of Darkness, which is a sequel to the hilariously bad Evil Dead movies.

-The RuneScape song "Little Cave of Horrors". This is a reference to the movie "Little Shop of Horrors".

-The examine for Oaknock the gnome is "Can he fix it? Yes he can!", referring to Bob the Builder.

-The Varrock Gypsy says "My gypsy-sense is tingling" during the Recipe for Disaster quest, referring to Spiderman.

-The examine for an open coffin, "I see dead people", is a line from the movie The Sixth Sense.

-Piglets and some baby moles have the examine "I shall call him, mini-pig/mole!", referring to Austin Powers.

-Another baby mole has the examine "Moley, moley, moley!", also from Austin Powers.

-Dodging darts in the Agility Arena makes you go into a slow-motion dodge animation, like in The Matrix.

-The Rocnar you can put in your Oubliette looks just like a Rancor from the Star Wars movies. Obviously, it's simply the name reversed as well.

-The name of Col. Jake O'Nial in Slug Menace is based on Col. Jake O'Neill from Stargate SG-1.

-The examine of the gold chests in Pyramid Plunder is "Anyone lost an ark?", referring to Indiana Jones and the Lost Ark. Likewise, after opening it the examine is "Phew, no ghosts in here", because in the movie, the ark contained them.

-When the Culinaromancer summons a new monster during the final battles of Recipe for Disaster, he might say "Say hello to my little friend!", which is a line from Scarface.

-The Eyes of Glouphrie contains some references to the UK gameshow The Adventure Game, namely the gronda gronda plant and the coloured tokens.

-Emerald Benedict, the banker in the Rogues' Den, is a reference to the movie Ocean's Eleven, which has a banker called Terry Benedict.

-When trying to drive out the Evil Spirit in the Rum Deal quest, your character will say "The power of Guthix compels you!", referring to the movie The Exorcist, where the priest goes "The power of Christ compels you!"

-When talking to Bob the Jagex Cat in the wilderness, he'll say "Be wery, wery quiet... I'm hunting pwayers", referring to Elmer Fudd from the Looney Tunes.

-Bob the Jagex Cat sometimes cites an entire line from Star Wars (Beginning with "I am your father", if you have your cat with you.

-Many things in the 2006 Halloween event are based on Ghostbusters. The Ghost Buster 500 is one, and the line "Who you gonna call?" is also said.

-Auguste, the NPC in the Enlightened Journey quest, is based on Captain Jean-Luc Picard from Star Trek. He even mentions going "beyond the skies."

Celebrities:

-There is an NPC in the Varrock church called Jeremy Clerksin, referring to the BBC show host Jeremy Clarkson (Probably best known from Top Gear).

-During the My Arm's Big Adventure Quest, My Arm asks "Is it cos I is thick?", a line said by Ali G.

-Brian O'Richard in the Rogues' Den is a reference to Richard O'Brien, the host of the Crystal Maze, a UK game show from long ago. The NPC also says he can't find his harmonica. In the show he had one that he played from time to time.

-Ezekial Lovecraft in Witchaven says his relatives are all writers and his father's name was Howard. He is referring to the writer, Howard Phillips Lovecraft.

-Tenzing, the sherpa near Death Plateau, was the sherpa of the first man to climb Mount Everest.

Videogames:

-Sea Snake Hatchlings in the Miscellania tunnel have the examine "A baby sea snake. Snaaaaaaake!" referring to Metal Gear Solid. When you die, you will hear "Snake? SNAKE? SNAAAAAAKE!!!"

-Talk to the Ghostly Robes ghosts without a Ghostspeak Amulet, and your character might respond to their woo-ing with lines like "We get signal" and "All your base are belong to us", from the badly-translated Genesis/Master System game Zero Wing.

-There is a RuneScape song called "Tomb Raider". This is an obvious reference to the game series of the same name.

-The emote for the Attack Cape is a reference to Street Fighter (Most likely to the character Ken).

-The Kalphite Queen seems to bear some resemblance to Metroid Prime. Likewise, Spinners at Pest Control look like Metroids.

-One of the codes that Uri the agent (From Treasure Trails) can say is "I am the egg man, are you one of the egg men?", referring to Dr. Eggman/Robotnik's song "I'm the Eggman" from Sonic Adventure.

Music:

-The RuneScape song "Pinball Wizard". There is in fact a real song called Pinball Wizard.

-After saving the Karamjan monkey from Ardougne Zoo in Monkey Madness, he may start singing The Lion Sleeps Tonight while in your backpack.

-The monkey bars in the Agility Arena have the examine "Now, I'm the king of the swingers, oh, the jungle VIP", referring to the song Jungle VIP by the Sherman Bros.

Food:

-The RuneScape song "Bubble and squeak". This is an English dish.

Old stories/history:

-The 4 floors in the Stronghold of Security (War, famine, pestilence and death) are themed after the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

-The Firebird and Koschei the Deathless are from old stories.

-Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde are from the old story "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde."

-The Saving Awowogei mini-quest, part of Recipe for Disaster, includes the monkeys who see, hear and speak no evil.

-The bakers in Ardougne Market have the examine "So where are the butcher and the candlestick maker?", referring to an old rhyme called Rub a Dub Dub.

-Camelot and the Holy Grail quest are obviously based on the old British stories. Likewise, the Realm of the Fisher King is a place in the story.

-Romeo & Juliet is obviously based on the old story.

-The name of the quest A Tail of Two Cats is based on A Tale of Two Cities, a book.

-You can actually find a needle in a haystack if you search it multiple times. They're also in haybales.

-Fortunato, the wine seller in Draynor Village, is from a short story by Edgar Allen Poe, called The Cask of Amontillado. Likewise, Fortunato's examine is "Could do with a sip of amontillado."

-The Pillars in the Agility Arena have the examine "It's a small step for a player, a giant leap for player kind", referring to the first thing said by anybody on the moon.

-The Creature of Fenkenstrain quest is obviously based on the Frankenstein story.

Other:

-The RuneScape song and quest "Cabin Fever". Cabin fever is a condition you can have in real life after being in a confined space for a long time (Such as on a ship during the quest).

From http://z7.invisionfree.com/RSResort/ind ... owtopic=96

Put darkdude98's Supermario quote on the first post :D

I have one that wasnt listed on there.

lmaozm3.png

A reference to 'Barry the Baptist' on the film "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" or just southerners general perception of the northern English.

When you examine a coffin, it reads, I see dead people :lol: .

There is also something about the three wise monkeys. The ones that speak, hear, and see no evil.

Also I'm thinking Tzhaar are a huge refference to Predator of the Alien trilogy, only noone seems to believe it, we'll see when I compare them in a future update once more.

reaper6zr7.png

Interrested in joining the cabbagy madness? Click here to go to our forums, and say hi ^^

lol one of the biggest pvp updates of the year, and tip it is discussing granite

The song: "All's Fairy in Love 'n'War" is an Easter Egg to the song, "All's fair in love."

actually, no...that song is from a famous quote that says "alls fair in love and war" :|

oh yeah, and while do ichthliran's (SP??) lil' helper, you tell the one lady at the beginning something like i'm an adventurer who wants to travel the world far and have bards sing of my name. That's from the odyssey and other books of that time, if you were a brave and famous person, bards would immortalize you by singing about you.

The hand in the sand quest.

Do you need a hand?

I bet that comes in handy.

Also ardougne docks look like a paintballgun

The farseer helm looks like the helm the mage is wearing in monthy python : the holy grail

Tim the Enchanter!

timtheenchanternd6.png

-One of the codes that Uri the agent (From Treasure Trails) can say is "I am the egg man, are you one of the egg men?", referring to Dr. Eggman/Robotnik's song "I'm the Eggman" from Sonic Adventure.

The beatles did a song like that called I am the Walrus, which there is a line stating "I am the eggman, they are the eggmen"

~Mininglaser

The beatles did a song like that called I am the Walrus, which there is a line stating "I am the eggman, they are the eggmen"

~Mininglaser

That's an easteregg in an easter egg. Sort of like those russian dolls =P Quite a lot of them are like that and have multiple sources due to it.

i love these

theres alot in WoW

i can't think of any at the moment :lol:

The hobo that walks around in stormwind often says "I'll gladly pay you tueday for a hamburger today".

This is from popeye cartoons. His assistant says it in many episodes.

In the behind the scenes january, they talk about penguins and the "Cold War." Get it? Get it? The COLD WAR. chuckle chuckle chuckle

lost rights to my dark red text >:(

afflictionbanner2jf6.png

12/20/06 - QUEST CAPE OF ACHIEVEMENT

Barrows sets: guthan, verac, dharok, maybe ahrim eventually <- lost to a hacker whole stole everything of worth from my bank

Wow! Quite a few I didn't know about, especially the film based things since I rarely watch any. 8-)

Romily Weaklax, the guy in the Cooking guild.

Romilly Weekes is a Royal Correspondent for ITV News in England. (Female, though the npc is male)

Not completely sure that is right but I'm guessing it's where they got the name from.

Calaeria.png

bannerbancocopiadj3.jpg

I actually laughed when I examined a little snake and saw the examining text for the first time (in Royal Trouble). 8-)

Monty Python jokes are fun aswell, I love the danding knights.

Pro Einari (level-119)

Attack 97 Strenght 99 Defence 90 Hits 96

On a break, again.

i love these

theres alot in WoW

i can't think of any at the moment :lol:

The hobo that walks around in stormwind often says "I'll gladly pay you tueday for a hamburger today".

This is from popeye cartoons. His assistant says it in many episodes.

Uhh yeah, I know. That's why I posted it. Wimpy says it.

awesome_bloodvelds_siggeh.pngpossiblesig11.png

:^_^: I drew that smilie, btw, along with a few more used by this site.

Classic bloodveld for lyph3! Although I do like the new ones.

Like a ninja, here I was, gone I am now.

BUT! I may be back! Add my new account, Dr Bloodveld!