*WHY* Are Prices Rising?

mindthrower

I have noticed an interesting trend lately. For the past couple of months (<---not sure about this length of time) prices have been rising across the board for most high-priced weaponry and armor, while rares have fallen. I was wondering if anyone knew why this was. I was thinking that perhaps the new treasure trails have shifted demand away from rares, but I can't place why the trend for prices in weapons and armor to fall has seemingly reversed.

Anyone heard why, or have theories?

tanmjester,mindthrower.gif

mindthrower.gif

mindthrowerFTWlol.png

Jagex have been tampering with drop rates of certain high value items.

In particular, whips have fallen from a 1:400 drop to about 1:1000.

Dragon chain prices are being maintained for the same reasons I presume. I've killed 18k dust devils so far, and have yet to receive a chain.

The Construction madness is over now and most players who blew their saving on the skill are flush again, which may also explain the general increase in certain prices.

Harrington.gif

I was under the impression that hunter wouldn't affect the economy much though because it was such a cheap skill, and and that people don't appear to be making much money on it as well. (So that money is neither spent nor created from hunter.)

Also it's been a while since construction has been out, shouldn't its effect be diminished by now?

mindthrower.gif

mindthrowerFTWlol.png

theirs no way of answering this without speculating slightly, and theirs no ONE singular answer at all.

theirs #s of reasons, like pest control more members... high lvl content has been neglected slightly meaning, the best of the best is not out of reach for every1.

besides, the economy of runescape is controlled by players... players who could be brain surgeons or 12 year old kids wearing helmets.

Dragon chain prices are being maintained for the same reasons I presume. I've killed 18k dust devils so far, and have yet to receive a chain.

The Construction madness is over now and most players who blew their saving on the skill are flush again, which may also explain the general increase in certain prices.

Yes, I have heard those rumors, but I was wondering if there is anything to substantiate them.

Also, I thought an increase in the money supply tends to lower prices. I am not the economics expert tho...

mindthrower.gif

mindthrowerFTWlol.png

Well, my thinking was that if people have excess money, they're willing to pay more for items in order to outbid other players? Perhaps I'm wrong, but RS is a trading environment, and all of a sudden, there's a greater demand for items (caused by capes of achievement?), and people are willing to pay extra to secure dwindling stocks?

What I mean, is supply and demand. I think we're in a period where demand is outstripping supply, and now that the Construction rush is over, there's plenty of excess cash to fuel this crisis?

Whip drops have definately reduced. I know this from having considerable time fighting Abyssal Demons :(

Harrington.gif

Well, my thinking was that if people have excess money, they're willing to pay more for items in order to outbid other players? Perhaps I'm wrong, but RS is a trading environment, and all of a sudden, there's a greater demand for items (caused by capes of achievement?), and people are willing to pay extra to secure dwindling stocks?

What I mean, is supply and demand. I think we're in a period where demand is outstripping supply, and now that the Construction rush is over, there's plenty of excess cash to fuel this crisis?

Whip drops have definately reduced. I know this from having considerable time fighting Abyssal Demons :(

yeah i think you are right about the capes of achievement increasing demand for goods. Your theory about more money causing ppl to bid higher for items seems to make sense too...I have heard about Runescape's economy being paradoxical at times, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Basically I was wondering because I need to know if I should shift my capital away from rares (my 1 santa, basically) and into high-priced armor and weapons instead, if this current trend continues.

mindthrower.gif

mindthrowerFTWlol.png

yep. the maddness is over for construction. People like me whol spent their only mil got more money( 14 mil in cash to be more specific) But no way I'm wasting all my cash again, unless construction becomes my lowest skill9my farming and herblore are rapidly rising)

mini193.png

Doing a little bit of everything

What items do you think are rasisng?

IMO 99 Capes affected the economy alot!

Raw Lobbies to Raw Shark are more expasive then cooked.

Herbs/Herb Seeds are up too and yet price of potions lowered.

Yew Logs has risen too but Magic logs stay the same?

These are some of the more common idk if theirs like maple logs for firemake or something.

99 capes.

3rd age: people selling off rares to buy them.

No news on the rares front; no famous merchers banned, no serious price manipping.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

What items do you think are rasisng?

Yew Logs has risen too but Magic logs stay the same?

These are some of the more common idk if theirs like maple logs for firemake or something.

magics have rose to 1.05ea and completed bows have stayed the same.

i feel that the price rise is only due to merchanters and scammers. Take a 10 minute trip to W2 and try to buy/sell something u WILL be a Atemptedly scammed or ur asking price will be offered but -100-150k...

The_Diamond.png

1593th to 99 Farming - July 08.

magics have rose to 1.05ea and completed bows have stayed the same.

It still seems hard to find sellers 1K+ for 1K ea, I was used to seeing lots of 1.1K's.

i feel that the price rise is only due to merchanters and scammers. Take a 10 minute trip to W2 and try to buy/sell something u WILL be a Atemptedly scammed or ur asking price will be offered but -100-150k...

W2 isn't that bad, really (unless it has changed drastically in the past month that I haven't had P2P). I've been merching on W1 recently, it's kind of funny how many sickly little kids there are who ruin their moral development for 1KB of yellow pixels.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

what the...it's simple and happens in real life as well as in runescape.

INFLATION

i'm sure someone else will describe it better than me or already has so i will leave it at that.

gladz.png

Proud Retired Council of The Gladiatiorz

Click here for our website - 110+ F2P Combat Requirements

INFLATION

i'm sure someone else will describe it better than me or already has so i will leave it at that.

Hmm, does this generally mean that Demand > Supply? :-s

I ask the same question, I mean Guthan used to be 8.2m. Then it went up to 9.5m. Why should Barrow prices go up at all?

I hate W2 Fally.

~Saruman44

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

I could try to name some things that have an effect on the economy atm..

a) updates that make the money and resources move: throne of miscellania, 99 capes, new clues, ava's device, granite body (boosted granite leg prices)

B) new wave of macroers/ gp farmers

c) christmas, it always affects the rare prices somehow

d) inflation

e) merchanters & scammers

f) not so many barrowers, supply of new barrows items isn't as big as it used to be

that's to name a few of them.. The rs economy is very complex..

INFLATION

Hmm, does this generally mean that Demand > Supply? :-s

nope it means there is more money in the system. If there is more of something its value goes down (take yews for example when people autoed them). Well with less money in the system its value goes down. As its worth less you need to pay more of it to buy something if the item you wish to buy has the same price roughly. I hope thats a good answer..

gladz.png

Proud Retired Council of The Gladiatiorz

Click here for our website - 110+ F2P Combat Requirements

I could try to name some things that have an effect on the economy atm..

a) updates that make the money and resources move: throne of miscellania, 99 capes, new clues, ava's device, granite body (boosted granite leg prices)

B) new wave of macroers/ gp farmers

c) christmas, it always affects the rare prices somehow

d) inflation

e) merchanters & scammers

f) not so many barrowers, supply of new barrows items isn't as big as it used to be

that's to name a few of them.. The rs economy is very complex..

LOL, love how you left Merchanters and Scammers in the same catagory ;)

Harrington.gif

Well they should be Harrington :P

On-Topic

I think that most prices are staying pretty much stationary except the barrows sets (people are getting bored of it now, it makes sense). The only thing if seen that took big dives is when the new clues came out, the prices on rings and furies went crazy for some reason. For a day you could buy a zerker ring for 1.3 mill and a fury was selling as high as 5.2 :S