The complete "Should F2P get updates?" Debate! 5,000 views!

Buckeyemange

lol...i DO think there needs to be more weapons for high lvl people. cmon, the highest weapons/armor are for people with 70/att/str/def. what about people with 80 in all those, or 90, or 99?? if a new armor came out better than barrows it might give me a reason to raise my def up from 75...... but otherwise, its just attack and str im gonna raise.

barrowsmcw,Anglefire.gif

Anglefire.gif

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im lvl 106 noob get a life

EDIT: and i quit members because i was litteraly drowning in too much updates

w00t i was called a noob by a 106? -.-

dragonmpraycape,virna.gif

Making a pure. Xv Wild Xv atk:71/99 str:73/99 def:20/20 mage:70/94 range:65/90 prayer:52/52

actually i dont know about that, i dident become a member until rs2 came out, in rsc i was always f2p.and were not talking about rsc, were talking about now. why should weapons and armor top out at lvl 70? higher lvl people need higher lvl items. everyone and there mother has barrows and whips latley, its getting stupid.

barrowsmcw,Anglefire.gif

Anglefire.gif

lol...i DO think there needs to be more weapons for high lvl people. cmon, the highest weapons/armor are for people with 70/att/str/def. what about people with 80 in all those, or 90, or 99?? if a new armor came out better than barrows it might give me a reason to raise my def up from 75...... but otherwise, its just attack and str im gonna raise.
exactly angle we think alike o.O i meen here we have people whinning over having too much updates and too many good weapons? psst between me and u i think its cuz they cant afford :XD: ahh well i think they should make updates for 80+ armor and stuff no point in raisin it if you cant get ne thing good cept the fancy cape =]

dragonmpraycape,virna.gif

Making a pure. Xv Wild Xv atk:71/99 str:73/99 def:20/20 mage:70/94 range:65/90 prayer:52/52

Well, there are several things to consider here. First off, JaGeX isn't getting as much money from people who are F2P. Most of their income is from P2P. So JaGeX, by giving updates to members most of the time, is trying to get F2P to become P2P. Now, there are people who can't for various reasons, i.e, parents wont let them, already in a state of debt, or whatever. Those people therefore aren't influenced by the member's updates, and rather have learnt to live with F2P. It's these people that tend to want F2P updates more.

Now, on the other hand, JaGeX can't give F2P a large number of updates. Why? Because as F2P gets better and better, people will stop subscribing. This may sound weird, but here's how it works: the more things everyone has, the less things are member's only. The less things that are member's only, the more people that think the Member's isn't worth it. Look at this for example: If JaGeX made everything but one quest F2P, then tons of people would quit members, because they would only be missing out on one quest. So a balance must be found, somewhere.

I'd say, maybe 2 or 3 F2P updates a year. Now, it wouldn't be something like making Taverly F2P, but rather something like the SOS. A new dungeon... maybe a small quest... it's even possible that JaGeX might make a skill like Fletching F2P. It's doubtful, but possible.

But to sum it all up, F2P isn't supposed to be 'Runescape for the Poor'. It's like a neverending trial version, where you can see what Runescape is like, before getting the full version. JaGeX wants people to be P2P. P2P gets them money. If JaGeX spends too much time and resources on F2P, then Members will start complaining, due to the lack of high-end members things, like the Plauge City questline, or new minigames. But, with all considerations taken, if you expect JaGeX to make tons and tons of F2P updates, then think again. JaGeX, like all buisnesses, want to make money. And as stated before, they'd rather use their time and resources on the version that gets them money.

Well, thats my 2 gold pieces, hope you understand what I mean.

RBqi.gif

Can be looted to obtain a variable item and reobtain the imp jar. If you are insane, it can instead be exchanged for impling jars from Elnock Inquisitor.

F2P should definitely get updates. Not added in-game content, but stuff like more security features, a faster game engine, etc., but there should never be content updates for them. I'm F2P, but I play members during the summer, and I have to say it's well worth the 5 dollars a month.

Think about it. 5 dollars is less than a cafeteria lunch from your school (or workplace, if they offer that). Bring a sandwich for one day every month and pay for it that way. 5 dollars is less than minimum wage (in the US, at least), it's 17 cents a day. That's not much.

Plus, adding features for F2P defeats the whole purpose of F2P. It's there as a hook, so that when players finish all of the quests and are bored with their present situation, they'll upgrade to members. Havng new updates, or even the promise of a new update, means less people will switch over to members (or it will take them longer), which is less income for Jagex. Basically, they're shooting themselves in the foot by releasing free content.

There's no sig here. Move it along...

I'm an actual member of RuneScape.

I know hows life in F2P, I think they should get new updates, even if they don't pay at all but, They are like the previous members, because if RuneScape were only a P2P game, there would not be so many people, because you first play F2P, if you think the game is good enought you pay for membership, but if you think it is not, then you leave the game or keep playing in F2P.

I think F2P should get more updates, no as many as members, but they should get more. If F2P dont exist, then we the RuneScape comunity would lose a notable number of players.

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

If I want to hit members I just take $28 from my savings hiding spot :-$ and arrive at the nearest currency exchange for a debit card. Gets me 3 months going and my brother 2 months. His payment is giving me in game gp(sometimes a few million :thumbsup: ) but it pays him off(gave him 2 whips last week from my kinddom results)

:-k Anyways off my ramblings, I say F2P deserve something. I mean from that restaurant analogy eventually most will get bored and the restaurant will make more than enough money and might add say a free 16 oz coke.

\' As said by one famous guy "What can happen will, its a matter of when."

::' I support more f2p bank space. :anxious:

Well I think non members should get some updates, especially something to put holiday/random event stuff in and those who have been members should get a bank were every member item goes when you become non member, you will also have to put some non member items in there if you have to much bank space already, that way people who has member stuff on them can easily get them placed somehwere without the need of dropping it.

Give a man a lighter, and he will be warm for a while.

Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*sigh* ok, this is a complex issue. i've read very good arguements on both sides of the debate, and here is my opinion.

I don't believe that ftp should get common updates (no, i don't fall into the "they don't pay so they don't get updates" category!). As a two-year ftper who got members less than a year ago, I enjoyed playing in the ftp servers. Don't forget everyone - ftp is a demo! Jagex wants you to become ptp, based on that idea in the first post that M>N. If you want more updates, become ptp!

That's my argument.

has anyone considered the possibility that lauren1211 is homosexual? anyone, anyone at all?

I'm a member and I think they should get updates, just not very frequent, maybe 1 every 4-5 months.

F2p has been almost the same since iv'e been playing, almost 3 years now, and the f2p area is VERY old fashioned in a way.

F2p do give a bit of money to jagex, by the ads, only on an estimate by me of about 10% of what members do (correct me if its more), but its still enough for them to deserve more than just the 1 update a year.

Some of the F2p crowd cannot afford the membership, maybe because of poor family or because of other situations, but they should'nt be as punished for that as they are.

On the topic of members saying 'they could have taken time to make a members update', sereously how dumb?! Do they not realise that as a member you CAN do f2p things, #-o. It just means its probably going to be aimed at lower lvls, but so? there are lower lvl members still.

AW :boohoo: to those who whine about members not getting as much updates if f2p get one, us members have 4 a month, thats 48 a year! can we not spare 2 or 3 of those? are we that selfish?

umm if you come from s poor family, why do have internet?

For F2P players, (like myself), after a while all of the skills and quests get quite boring and repetitive. If we were given a new skill, or a handful of new quests, then it would entertain us for a long time. And i'm sure it wouldn't take a long while for Jagex to make Farming a F2P skill, would it?

UrbanLegend.png

I am a member, but i remember my days of f2p and well they got boring quite quickly. So yes, f2p should get a few updates.

wailord.png

If you choose your beliefs/lifestyle simply based on what your parents want, then you are a weak minded individual and are not even worthy of calling yourself a person.

i think i posted here before on here but im much too lazy too look through 10 pages to find my post.

[for the record im a member. been one since 2006. played f2p for one year and p2p for one as well.]

ok personally ive been looking through the rant sections of the runescape forums and i noticed a thread saying: "remember the good old days?" i loked into it and it sayed remember the good old days when updates werent so frequient nd you had time to finish up what task you were on to get to the update?

i had totally agreed. i think that jagex has been giving the members way too many updates. i noticed that they gave us the hunting skill then after that they gave us a quest then another...then another... and they kept on coming

now i have 185 quest points and i just did a flury of quests starting at 170 quest points and ending at what i have now. ive done all of the really important quests (dt legends monkey madness priest in peril etc.) and i decided one day to finish up all of the misc. quests. i did about 8 of them and i noticed that i still had to d approx. 30 of them. :wall:

so i was infuriated to see that they WERE STILL MAKING QUESTS! i mean tower of life what lies belw contact animal magnitism. seriously thats a lot of quests. in the time it took me to do 5 quests they came out with 2. and i couldnt stand that. i was starting to think that runescape was a full time job -.-.

so to put it blaintly theres too many members updates an i think there should be LESS!

the non members go the security stronghold and even on members that was a boom.

but seriously the members havent got anything else to do. i mean they could possibly get a new monster. those are fun ::' .

the last update before the stronghold for non members was the refurbishing of falador. (besides the home telliport). and thatwas around the time when i started playing in late 05.

1004.png

Wow, watching this thread is better than pro wrestling! =D>

This thread is probably better than pro wrestling because the fights here are real (And the boobs).

I think f2p should get a quest, a small amount of bank space(4-8 more) and some other little thing(possibly a mini game or new type of item) each year, and this could prove profitable by jagex. If jagex could continiue to keep f2p intrests up by giving these to them then maybe eventually some f2pers will join. Also, i think fletching should be a f2p skill, because runecrafting and smithing(art of creating mage and melee runes/weapons respectivly) are f2p, yet making range equipment isnt.

vilnn2.png

Some people are like slinkies, normally they are dull, but they always give you a smile

when you push them down a flight of stairs.

another thought occures!

siding with the devil...

every time a person who is f2p notices all of those all of those updates on the main page of runescape he/she mus think... wunder what its like...

so tht encouragement on going towards members instead of doing the same repetitive skill over...and over...again

1004.png

Wow, watching this thread is better than pro wrestling! =D>

This thread is probably better than pro wrestling because the fights here are real (And the boobs).

F2P shloudn't get updates as we are there because the Jagex people let

us play. If they focus more on what we can get, then P2P will not get

their money's worth of the game. P2P getting F2P updates; well the

rewards are probably are easier to get for a member (i.e a rune weapon

compared to a dragon weapon) so it isn't as entertaining for them if they

don't get what they paid for. While F2P do "make" money by clicking and

adverts (well more clicks mean adverts pay more money to advertize on

that page) we are not giving our money to Jagex nor our

time, F2P want to play and Jagex isn't forcing them to play;so that Jagex

can get money from the ads.

rule the seas is a cool mmorpg register through here: http://www.ruletheseas.com/index.php?r=50338

Well, I'm not opposed to nonmember updates, but they(Along with almost all member updates) need to be aimed at the 90/ 100+ range, not a ten-millionth lvl 60- update...

Nonmembers do provide a very large "word of mouth" ad campaign, (I was introduced to RS by someone who quit a week later, but I'm still here, having given JaGEx almost 200 dollars in dues) which i would say is pretty effective. And really, nonmembers DO contrubute a lot to the game, by way of VERY cheap, very plentiful supplys of resources for skills such as: Fletching, Firemaking, Crafting, Prayer, Cooking, Range, and Smithing.

F2p is essential in another way; an environment FULL of players who are new to the game. Honestly, do you think a level 7 could find a place to buy full steel for themself in P2p Lumby or Varrock?

F2p needs updates, just so long as they don't beat the members updates in frequency.

There is no meaning or truth in life but that which we create for ourselves.

40678187bv4.jpg

Members pay 5 dollars each month for special privileges in the game.

The privileges are incredibly vast and jagex keeps making more.

HereÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s the thing thoughÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâæÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâæDo you think any of the members are dissatisfied with the privileges gained?

If so then it is a small amount. Jagex does make money off of the F2Pers through adds, and a decrees in F2pers would Lead to a loss of money for Jagex.

Not only that, most members started out as Free to players, they played, liked the game and decided to become members. Like it or not, Jagex does have to consider the Free to Players, the more people play for free, the more people decide to pay for membership.

I believe that Jagex should give the free to players more benefits, but not enough to quench the Free to players interest in membership. In fact I believe that a few more benefits given would increase the number of f2pers becoming members, and increase the number of new people coming to Runescape. I donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t believe that Jagex should give the F2pers a members skill, but I believe that giving them a few more quests would be beneficial to Jagex. I also like the Idea of skill capes, it would give the free to players a reason to stay.

=P~

I think that they should get one update ever 5 months or so. That way they can get a feeling of how it is to get updates. Also I think that they should get one or two good quests, because the quests in f2p are nothing compared to most members' quests.

[insert birds flying in a circle here]

Yes, that sig was annoying.

I don't see why F2Ps should get updates.

I'm F2P myself, and i'm not bothered by it.

Sure, I'd like a bit more bank space, or maybe somewhere to put the random events clothes, and maybe even a minigame, but i don't see why we should get updates every now and then.

It is free, so we shouldn't be getting continous updates,

But we should get some more bank space, and maybe a minigame, so that it will give people more of an insight into members, so that We'd join members and give them money, OR, it would prolong the playing life of the F2Ps so that Jagex get money from ads.

And by the way, F2Ps do get updates in the holidays.

let me tell you a story...

Some years ago, we received internet at our house, and i started playing small games on a site. Many of those games came from Miniclip, and I thougt, let's check it out. There i saw banners of RuneScape, and it seemed pretty cool to me, and again I thougt, let's check it out.

I created an account, I completed the tutorial (i didn't even know it was a tutorial, i thougt the whole game would be like that (I m dutch and I didn't know much English by then)), but I just clicked on the arrows and tried all I could. Then, suddenly, the progress bar dissapeared, and I was completely lost(in Lumbridge, I heared later). I had no clue what I was to do, and I even died of things like a Sazrm(random event).

Well, I would never have started playing RuneScape if I would get a message "pay $5 a month and you can play this game"

Now, two and a half years later, I have a decent amount of money and my combat level is also not that bad, and I was member for 4 months (I quit p2p becaus my parents wouldnt let me anymore, although I payed the fee myself). I am wondering, if there wouldnt be so many f2pers, selling coal to members/ other f2pers who smelt steel bars(like me) to sell to members, all those members would have to mine and cut their stuff theirselves (I didnt mine ONE ore during the 4 months of member-being).

low level f2pers do mine and sell the coal because they think 100k is a LOT of money (i remember me as level 40, receiving 100k of selling feathers, i felt way more satisfied as i feel now with receiving 1m), and so they want to waste their time on it, so they can finally buy that full rune they want. But when you are paying to play, and there are so many other things, like quests, mnigames, other skills,... ,then you don't want to spend your time mining or woodcutting.

If the f2p world doesnt get some updates to keep them playing

(ok ok, we had the Stronghold Of security, the prayers, the holliday events,..) but we (or at least I and some friends) want a thing that is much tougher, comparable to the Tzhaar caves where you can get the fire cape, to have got a goal again when you reached the 70's in your skills. My goals are only getting skills to 70+, not in certain skills for something special, except mining and smithing (as you could guess, being able to mine and smith runite), but that isnt even interesting anymore for me, i spend my time on RuneScape in fact allways on the same things: mining coal + ores for which bars i ll smith, chopping and burning yews, fishing and cooking lobsters and swordies, crafting hard leather bodies + amulets of which gems i get, going to cie giants and lessers to train melee, ranged and magic, and mining essences to make air runes (i use all my runes in mage, and i need air the most), which I did since i had rc level 1!)

they would stop playing, and that woudl do no good to JaGExn, their money from banners is gone, and as the members will get faster bored because of needing to mine all that f'ing coal and such, they wont stay member for that long.

EDIT: also, i already mentioned that i was member 4 months, well, there was so much to do in the members world, but to do this, you had to do a quest, to do that, you had to do an other quest, and the world is big, so big that I, in the beginning, had to walk a long time to get somewhere, as you need to do quests for almost all the member teleports, except the camelot one, which is, in fact, still close to falador. There are many ways for transportation, but almost all of them require a quest. And now there are so many members quests (I think they reached 100, but I m not sure), that you have no clue where to begin. Would it be SO bad if the f2pers would get a quest or two? on that 100? I don't think so.

so,

greetings,

a hoping-on-a-high-level-update-keutel_force

check mysite of RuneScape

check my ZMI-Guide on the Tip.it Forums

In one of Jagex's rules (Rule 12), it basically states that a person's status in real life should not affect their in game success. This rule is in consideration of trading real world items for RS items. However, it can be applied somewhat to this. Some people cannot afford membership and therefore can't advance like everyone else... sounds like their real life status is affecting their success in the game to me. Sure, some of you say that if the player's parents can't pay, the player can use paypal or cash payments. However, some of these players are pretty young and can't really make money.

But enough about that. As a former member of 3 months (in which I played like... a week) and a soon to be member again, I believe F2P should get more updates, but not major ones like new areas. Being able to do very basic things in current members skills, like making bronze arrows for fletching, would be great, as players could prepare themselves for membership a bit more. Also, other simple updates, like a bit more bank space could help a lot. A player balanced in all skills needs a lot of bank room.

In my opinion, F2P should be thrown updates, but not to the extent of members. Maybe quarterly updates (every 3 months), and nothing too special. After all, for a lot of F2Pers, F2P works to prepare us for membership.