Music. Because of the Lyrics, or the Instruments?

woopidoo2

I think I isolate most of those when choosing music to listen to.

Rhythm is what catches me initially, I can like a song from the beat only. I like music that makes me want to dance, and a good rhythm can do that instantly. Most of the music I listen to is based around a drum beat.

I love really talented singers as well, I can listen to so many artists a Capella, John Legend, Marvin Gaye, Lemar, Luther Vandross, Stevie Wonder, old Mariah Carey etc. they have such beautiful voices.

And then I listen to a lot of classical music as well... No drum beat there, occasionally some vocals, but yeah, love to listen to it while studying.

657757fr7.png

SHH HUT YUH MUH. DERKHED.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only listen to music I like, as in, music, not lyrics. However, I don't start listening to bands with satanic, gory (cannibal corpse, other grindcore bands..), or anti-Christian lyrics (I generally look up liyrics of new bands I want to check out). However, I listen to alot of secular music.

Cool.

It depends on the music I guess. Generaly I like a ballance of the two although I'd think that I take the instrumental parts more than lyrics. Mostly because whenever I hear some amazing lyrics they are backed up by a great part of the song. Seldom do I hear amazing lyrics that aren't backed up well.

• 3 weeks later...

id have to say music more that lyrics, but i hate listening to songs that dont have brutal, violence, murder, blood, gore, stuff like that....so both!

sotwbar7.png

sig-1.png

1980 Berlinetta with a 350, bored, mild cam, intake carb, headers, exhaust

a mix of both - it's no song with only one of them. i personally don't like rap because of the lack of intruments and i hate techno for it's lack of lyrics (and it's bleep blooping, but that's not essential now)

edit:

id have to say music more that lyrics, but i hate listening to songs that dont have brutal, violence, murder, blood, gore, stuff like that....so both!

ugh! you're mean :twisted:

Rudyaard.png

rudyaard.png

As I'm exploring the more extreme forms of metal, I'm finding that a) I can't understand the lyrics, and B) I wouldn't want to understand them anyway. The music is pretty good though.

ragenori9bosq4.gif

Thanks Venomai for this super sig and Kwimbob for the awesome avatar!

Mostly for the instruments. But sometimes for the Lyrics.

Like i listen to Pantera mostly for Dime's intense solo's n that.

I listen to Van Halen as they have great guitar and great lyrics.

An i listen to most acoustic stuff for the lyrics because they sound better when played acoustic.

But that's just me.. :D

omegasigka4.png

um a bit of both bands like the ramones or the misfits are lyricle oriented as they were bad musicians but other bands mainly the metal genra or techno are more for the music.

btw if you like like rock/hardcore theres a lot of good christian bands like thousand foot cruch norma jean and piller to name a few and ya i hate the mainstream christian music too

a study shows that 89% of all forum users have a sig like this. if you are one the 11% that think its dumb dont sell out and put this in your sig.

5/4 of all ppl have trouble with fractions

ZOMBIES!

I will buy ALL your rune full helms for 7Kea

It's all about the guitar man! People don't understand how amazing guitar can be..

I mean yeah, lyrics are great, but that's not why I listen to music. I listen to bands like Trivium and As I lay Dying, not because of the lyrics (although they are good), but because the the music is insane.

For those of you who don't know what I mean... check out this vid of me playing a Trivium song, Detonation.

If it has a great guitar riff/solo, then it's allright by me :) , that's the reason I love Zeppelin so much, Page's original guitar riffs are just too hawt for this world. <3: And allthough 90% of their lyrics are about love (what I usually can't stand in a song), I still love them.

99 Slayer since August 2007.

It's all about the guitar man! People don't understand how amazing guitar can be..

I mean yeah, lyrics are great, but that's not why I listen to music. I listen to bands like Trivium and As I lay Dying, not because of the lyrics (although they are good), but because the the music is insane.

For those of you who don't know what I mean... check out this vid of me playing a Trivium song, Detonation.

Just wanna say that your videos are impressive. Good stuff.

OT: For me it'd probably have to be 70% instruments and 30% lyrics. But that probably has a lot to do with the fact that I play an instrument myself. A good guitar riff and/or a good solo but with pretty bad lyrics can still be a fantastic song in my ears. Good lyrics can be the same, but that is rarer.

2009rb9.jpg

Just wanna say that your videos are impressive. Good stuff.

OT: For me it'd probably have to be 70% instruments and 30% lyrics. But that probably has a lot to do with the fact that I play an instrument myself. A good guitar riff and/or a good solo but with pretty bad lyrics can still be a fantastic song in my ears. Good lyrics can be the same, but that is rarer.

haha...same here man..my parents don't like some of my music b/c of their "message"...but i'm like "i like the way it sounds...sheesh". i had black sabbath on once and my mom came in "turn that devil worshipping band off in my house!!!!"

anyway...i like it for the instruments...and if the lyrics own then that's just a plus

edit: and a lot of people can play other people's songs on guitar...doesn't make you special. what sets you aside is writing it yourself

Mainly the sound of the music & the vocals. Lyrics are something extra on top. Although in the case of love songs I'd say it's the other way round. A beautiful set of lyrics really gets the tears streaming :D

All what I was going to say.. ;)

u5zhkTY.gif

Definitely a music person. Even when sung a cappella, I'm listening to the harmony not the lyrics. Some songs I like finding out the lyrics, but for some, the lyrics ruin the song for me - or an idiotic video. Good thing I don't have cable and can't see most videos nowadays :XD:

Vine is waving at me. What? What was that?! It gave me the tendril! :o

Vhellcat.png