Scribblenauts

PoorLepRecon

This unique game is coming exclusively to the DS on September 15th, 2009. It is a puzzle game that challenges you to solve puzzles by typing in thousands of words. You can find many solutions to the same problems, it will just take the right amount of creativity to move on. The game features over 200 levels to solve, along with a stage builder where you can upload your own levels to wifi and download other user created levels.

Just think about having to get on top of a single ledge. You could type in a ladder, go for a helicopter, or even bounce up to the top with a trampoline. The possibilities are almost endless!

On to the gameplay videos!

[yt]DooZ8LDCNQA[/yt]

[hide=Trailer][yt]WWIw4WR3aXQ[/yt][/hide]

[hide=Hands on Video][yt]Zg0_FbsJbpM[/yt][/hide]

[hide=God vs the Kraken][yt]RTEUbtgpIgo[/yt][/hide]

The game has won numerous best of E3 2009 awards and has moved to the top of my watched list. I can't wait for it to release!

Here's some more information for those who want it, as well as images and video's. http://www.giantbomb.com/scribblenauts/61-24741/

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are they actually allowed to add God in there? If they can do that, why not other religious figures?

But that looks awesome, but i don't quite get what you do. You can summon whatever items or people you want, but to what aim?

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Are they actually allowed to add God in there? If they can do that, why not other religious figures?

But that looks awesome, but i don't quite get what you do. You can summon whatever items or people you want, but to what aim?

Joystiq tried to stump them and when they found out a word (like really strange one) that beat it, the guy running the demo literally called up the company and told them to add it in.

They had people for months just going through dictionaries, pop culture references and such and putting them into the game. People have been skeptical but a lot have tried to stump it and can't.

The only thing you can't do are put in vulgar words, like Penis :P. Also trademarked characters aren't in.

edit: some examples.

They had to knock some bottles off a table without the use of a gun, and you couldn't kill the girl.

thepuzzle.jpg

Archon: Black hole: Yeah, this worked really well. The bottles got sucked up into the hole, and (though she almost died) the girl didn't. Nice work.

GIMcFly: Bull and red flag: This was pretty good, in theory. We definitely were getting a reaction from the bull to the flag (which was really cool) but we didn't have quite enough room to maneuver the flag around the bottles. So, no dice.

The Tony: Throw a grenade at them: Yep, this worked, but sadly, the girl was killed in the process. Our bad.

MRLN: Tie a "steak" to a "baby", place it on the bottles, type "lion." Uhh, this was a little closer to catastrophe than we're comfortable with. It all worked fine in principal, but since we couldn't put the steak baby behind the bottles, we couldn't make it work before the lion viciously murdered everyone in the room. Sad.

Mr. Nimblewick: Tie a bowling ball to a pterodactyl and have it fly into them. An unconventional idea, sure, but darned if it didn't pan out (eventually).

Epicmuffin: write "termites" and let them chew through the wood. Yep, like a charm. This is a good example of a clever solution, but not a convoluted one, which is the kind of thinking that seems to work best with Scribblenauts. More on that later.

Girricane: Flamethrower. Girricane knew an idea this flawless didn't need a lot of complicated explanation. A quick blast from the flamethrower, and the tower came tumbling down.

NForever: A horse. A top hat. A monacle. A curly mustache. A polo mallet. And a wooden ball. (or I'd be assuming any ball would work.) First I'd get on my horse with my polo mallet in hand. Put on my top hat, monacle, and curly mustache. Then I'd smash that ball straight into those bottles like any upstanding british gentleman would. Then, upon my success, I would strut around on my pony with a flag that I materialized from thin air... and probably make some friends and tea appear so we could hit up a party like they do in the eastern hemisphere. Uhh, close. It was a little difficult hitting the ball from the horse, and we accidentally knocked the tower over while riding the horse, meaning we lost, thanks to our cheating. We did, however, have a great time putting the hat on the horse.

JPJ007 Elephant, mouse to the left of elephant. The elephant didn't quite knock it over on the first try, but we know he was afraid of the mouse, and we're pretty sure it would have worked, had we played with it a bit more.

[hide=]

Joystiq tried to stump them and when they found out a word (like really strange one) that beat it, the guy running the demo literally called up the company and told them to add it in.

They had people for months just going through dictionaries, pop culture references and such and putting them into the game. People have been skeptical but a lot have tried to stump it and can't.

The only thing you can't do are put in vulgar words, like Penis :P. Also trademarked characters aren't in.

edit: some examples.

They had to knock some bottles off a table without the use of a gun, and you couldn't kill the girl.

thepuzzle.jpg

Archon: Black hole: Yeah, this worked really well. The bottles got sucked up into the hole, and (though she almost died) the girl didn't. Nice work.

GIMcFly: Bull and red flag: This was pretty good, in theory. We definitely were getting a reaction from the bull to the flag (which was really cool) but we didn't have quite enough room to maneuver the flag around the bottles. So, no dice.

The Tony: Throw a grenade at them: Yep, this worked, but sadly, the girl was killed in the process. Our bad.

MRLN: Tie a "steak" to a "baby", place it on the bottles, type "lion." Uhh, this was a little closer to catastrophe than we're comfortable with. It all worked fine in principal, but since we couldn't put the steak baby behind the bottles, we couldn't make it work before the lion viciously murdered everyone in the room. Sad.

Mr. Nimblewick: Tie a bowling ball to a pterodactyl and have it fly into them. An unconventional idea, sure, but darned if it didn't pan out (eventually).

Epicmuffin: write "termites" and let them chew through the wood. Yep, like a charm. This is a good example of a clever solution, but not a convoluted one, which is the kind of thinking that seems to work best with Scribblenauts. More on that later.

Girricane: Flamethrower. Girricane knew an idea this flawless didn't need a lot of complicated explanation. A quick blast from the flamethrower, and the tower came tumbling down.

NForever: A horse. A top hat. A monacle. A curly mustache. A polo mallet. And a wooden ball. (or I'd be assuming any ball would work.) First I'd get on my horse with my polo mallet in hand. Put on my top hat, monacle, and curly mustache. Then I'd smash that ball straight into those bottles like any upstanding british gentleman would. Then, upon my success, I would strut around on my pony with a flag that I materialized from thin air... and probably make some friends and tea appear so we could hit up a party like they do in the eastern hemisphere. Uhh, close. It was a little difficult hitting the ball from the horse, and we accidentally knocked the tower over while riding the horse, meaning we lost, thanks to our cheating. We did, however, have a great time putting the hat on the horse.

JPJ007 Elephant, mouse to the left of elephant. The elephant didn't quite knock it over on the first try, but we know he was afraid of the mouse, and we're pretty sure it would have worked, had we played with it a bit more.

[/hide]

For that puzzle I'd probably try some sort of battering ram that was raised in the air. Their whole experiment just shows how many options there really are for each puzzle. The simple puzzles that have been released look very cool so far. I can't wait to see what the more difficult levels look like.

This game makes me want to go buy another DS. Looks fantastic and fun.

Wonder what happens if you type in "TIF".

TIF wouldn't be in there. It will be objects, not copyrighted or vulgar words. You can type in things like triceratops and space suit, but not things like Walmart and Obama.

Yay a game that was announced nearly two months ago is finally getting the credit it should have been gathering this entire time!

Game will undoubtedly be a hit for many years, especially when 'they' crack it, and make custom levels for it...Or you know we wait 6 months for 60 new levels to do. I like the first option though.

Truly the most unique and promising game presented at E3 since ever. I'm just a little senile in that they manually went and created the artwork, and implemented the objects themselves, and didn't have some automatic way to draw out the objects. Basically instead of hardcoding the objects they should have innovated some code so that if someone typed in an object it would be found on the internet, or somehow through AI or probability or whatever, and just create the object there. So instead of six months (or longer) or dictionary reading, and coding objects to interact with other objects, it would only take 2 months, and majority being polishing of the probability results.

That would have been great, but if the game succeeds and others use the same type of technology, the above will most likely become existent, if it isn't already.

Still, as long as it works and you can't stump it, I'm not going to complain more.

You can spawn Cthuhu. I simply must locate my DS.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Now that somebody has made a base, i wonder if they would ever expand this kind of game to the PC in full 3D (using the keyboard for fast typing)

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

What possible use could Cthulu be? :lol:

A sort of mount maybe?

It doesn't matter if it is useful. It will be awesome.

I bet we'll be able to spawn things such as a Yeti, the Loch Ness Monster, and other mythical creatures. :thumbup:

What possible use could Cthulu be? :lol:

A sort of mount maybe?

It doesn't matter. I will use It to solve every puzzle.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

I now want a DS rather badly.

I told my good friend who has one about this, he's probably going to get it. Maybe I'll borrow/steal it occasionally.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.