Tip.It Times Presents: Are They Only Pixels?

MPM

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It actually is a true article. I remember a few hotblooded rants here on these forums where I would actually sit up and say, "Regardless of whether or not they're pixels, I earned 'em, dammit."

A good read, and I hope that everyone else can see the truth behind it.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

YA, you are totally right, it's not the item that you really care about when

losing it it's the time and effort you have put into getting it...that's so true!

When you kids get a job, you'll have to face reality, eye to eye.

No job = No money = No food on your table!

Money doesn't grow on trees neither does it in RS.

A lovely read, thanks alot.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

There's only one difference between the effort we put into RS and the effort we put into our jobs - one we do for fun. In fact, logic would suggest we should be more depressed over losing an item in RS than we should in real-life, since we actually wanted to work for that item, rather than being forced to to get through life.

The credit card comparison doesn't fair well as a comparison to this because there is still one major difference between money on a credit card and pixels... a credit card is 'real life' money and not game money.

smallsigr.jpg

Easy red article, you hit it on the right spot. I fully agree with you and I hate it when people react like 'it's only pixels, come over it'. It seems that is only pixels, but the time you spent on getting something (whether it is a set of shiny full rune or a mask) is lost, you done it for nothing. And you realise you could have done something else during this time.

ResisttheNWO.png

ResisttheNWO.png

It's just that some ppl base their life around runescape no offence N0valyfe, ur gr8 but anyway, when they lost like a mil, they cry about it to every1 at varrock wall and all the higher lvs say it's just pixels.

I remember reading a similar article where it ended, "You can ,loose all your items but you cant loose your skills. Put the money into skils and not cash.'

I wonder about people who can't sympathize with losing items. Did they really earn their own items themselves? :-k

This is similar to another issue, but it's still just as true.

Black coffee is my ally, green tea is my friend. Excuse me, I need to use the bathroom.

Don't call random people noobs. You've got nothing to gain and teeth to lose.

Insanity runs in my family. We get it from our parents, but it's not hereditary...

You can't spell slaughter without laughter.

You who stand against the darkness... get the **** out of my way!

Good article. The way I see it is like this: You only have a limited amount of time, if you spend x amount of hours working towards something and then lose it, its as if all those hours are lost too.

Really good article. It expresses a wonderful point. Although, its still missing something because we all know rare items are hard to get, but for lower level ppl, getting a d long is a toughy. It might take them a week to get, making 15k a day. So its just one of my points that i wanted to add.

Right...

Good article. The way I see it is like this: You only have a limited amount of time, if you spend x amount of hours working towards something and then lose it, its as if all those hours are lost too.

Couldn't say it better ::'

OT: There is a typo in the thread title: Pixils =/= Pixels

Th3_C4bb4g3.png

Th3_C4bb4g3.png

Th3_C4bb4g3.png

- Back to casual f2p scaping due to limited time (university and girlfriend <3:) -

"It's just pixels" is such a hypocritical phrase. Sure it truly is, but it's also much more than that. People put work hard on their accounts and it hurts when you lose something relatively valuable.

I'd like to see all the people that use this phrase lose their accounts that they worked hard on, and come out saying "It's just pixels".

100523232837.png

Are you winning The Game?

yay, i agree completly with this article :D

imo, it take some people, lets say, 1 hour to make 200k. and in real life, it takes 1 hour to make $7. then to them, 200k gp is worth $7, so if they lost their santa, it would be like losing $700.

so yea... it isnt just pixels, its time spent in game (and money spent on members in some cases).

whiteknightyu9.png

yeata7.png

won1ew3.png

Snake6man.png

Whats your average lv? viewtopic.php?t=615571&start=0&pos

Very good read. I laughed out loud about the "wishing one of the variables would disappear in algebra" thing, because I feel like that a lot. But back on topic, this article has a lot of truth behind it. I know to the other person it always seems, oh it's just a game it's not that bad, but then again you have to think about the person who's lost the time and effort that they put in to get those items.

Pirate Rosetta stone. Learn a language while you scape.

Sounds interesting, but these days how many people really speak Pirate?

Hrm I miss Kiara, she would never use her power to get an article she wrote in the Times if it was under the quality standards.
I don't think that this one was below standard, and I think it was something that needed to be said. More times then not I hear the phrase she's talking about and no one disagrees with it.

YA, you are totally right, it's not the item that you really care about when

losing it it's the time and effort you have put into getting it...that's so true!

When you kids get a job, you'll have to face reality, eye to eye.

No job = No money = No food on your table!

Money doesn't grow on trees neither does it in RS.

I'm a "kid" with a job and I really don't have any sympathy for people that lose items to scammers or lurers or something else. Well, I kind of take that back. I guess I have some sympathy for them but in all reality for someone to lose and item in such down right dumb ways such as getting an item switched in a trade screen. It kind of annoys me when people complain about losing items to scammers when it is mostly there fault, when what they really should be doing is working to get their money and/or items back. Face it, complaining about being scammed is not going to do anything. You won't get your items back, you won't really get much sympathy and you're probably going to get flamed, even if you don't deserve it. So, at the end of the day they are just pixels. After all, after you get scammed, you are just a person with less pixels than they had at the beginning of the day. And you lost all that hard work and time you say? Well if those pixels were so precious to you, you probably should have done a little more to protect them.

Money doesn't grow on trees in RuneScape, but it does spawn all over the ground, so close enough.

There's only one difference between the effort we put into RS and the effort we put into our jobs - one we do for fun. In fact, logic would suggest we should be more depressed over losing an item in RS than we should in real-life, since we actually wanted to work for that item, rather than being forced to to get through life.

Why work the job you hate, when the job you seek is right around the corner?

What I mean is you shouldnt work just to be working, you should find a job that intrests you.Now Im not telling you to drop the job you have(if you dislike it)but rather look for your calling.This doesnt mean a actually job, it could be a job/hobby that you love to do.Work can be fun, if you put in the effort.

Great article.

Americans love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle.

George S. Patton

1242631666.png