Tip.It Times Presents: The Price is Right! Or is it?

Kiara_Kat

This week's Tip.It Times has been released. Feel free to discuss the article or post any comments. If you have any criticism, please make sure it's constructive! :D

The Price is Right! Or is it?

The Editor

If you're accustomed to buying items on a regular basis, you've probably noticed that a lot of the commodity prices are dropping. Cooked sharks, for example, had been stable at around 1,000 GP each for the last three years or so. In the last six months they've dropped to around 750 GP. Yew logs have dropped from 350 GP to about 330 GP, and...

Click here to read the rest of this article.

Remember, the SEARCH button is your friend. Use it!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sigh to true, shark have neerly 1/2d in price. when the skill capes came out i assumed the price would go up like it did with cook x. it should go back up tho i cant see many people selling at the current price.

about legal gold i am real against it, people with more money than maturity will just start leveling alot. pc times 100 lol.

\' first post =D>

dante_14.png

~1733rd person to 99 fishing. Achived on april fools day 07 :)~

The only things that are not going down in price are rares.

The Editor clearly hasn't followed the development of rares price throughout the last ~7 months. :lol:

However there's another group of people contributing to the overall downward price trend: Skill cape hunters.

I don't get the arguement why skill capes lead to a decrease in the price of material prices if it has any effect on the prices of materials at all. 'Skill cape hunters' need masses of specific materials to train the 'buyable' skills (fast). For the non-buyable skills, gathering those specific materials is usually not the fastest way of training, hence supply caused by skill cape hunters would be smaller then demand caused by skill cape hunters if you ask me --> I'd say skill capes rather lead to an increase in the prices of material prices. In fact, looking at the material prices used in production I believe they actually rose, rather then dropped.

The Editor clearly hasn't followed the development of rares price throughout the last ~7 months. :lol:

However there's another group of people contributing to the overall downward price trend: Skill cape hunters.

I don't get the arguement why skill capes lead to a decrease in the price of material prices if it has any effect on the prices of materials at all. 'Skill cape hunters' need masses of specific materials to train the 'buyable' skills (fast). For the non-buyable skills, gathering those specific materials is usually not the fastest way of training, hence supply caused by skill cape hunters would be smaller then demand caused by skill cape hunters if you ask me --> I'd say skill capes rather lead to an increase in the prices of material prices. In fact, looking at the material prices used in production I believe they actually rose, rather then dropped.

The truth has spoken. :o

Quest cape obtained at combat level 83, march 07.

It's sad that the article puts the same amount of blame on both the autoers and skill cape hunters =[. It is harsh to lower 99-ers to an autoers level.

I got my first cape, in fishing, yesterday, and I am very proud that I have got it.

It's very sad in my opinion that people like me are thought of as the problem. Fishing is a skill where you can't buy your way to 99, it is dedication that gets you there.

Maybe the skill capes did have a detrimental effect, but surely that is the fault of Jagex, not the players who spend so long getting 99?

I don't think that skill capeswill have any long term effects on the economy. It's true that skill capes like fishing will greatly increase the number of sharks fished, increasing supply. However, cooking will increase demand for sharks. If supply and demand increase porportionally, there shouldn't be a huge change in prices. Most commodities have this relationship: fishing-cooking, mining-smithing, woodcuttin-fletching.

In response to the post above by smiles, I don't think that the editor was making any detrimental remark toward skil cape owners. He was mearly explaining a theory in which skill cape owners are responsible for price change. This doesn't mean he's blaming you for it. That's like saying that pointing out that new players bring increase the amount of cash in the economy is equivalent to blaming new players for the inflation.

I almost feel the urge to say '+1, 0wn3d pl0x?', but I'll restrain from that. ;)

But I agree with Duke Freedom (how could I not?), especially the rare market surprised me.

ltjemightyro9.png

Retired.

I was about to post what Duke said. There seems to be something fundamentally wrong with saying swarms of players requiring massive amounts of materials reduces your prices. I sort of surmised from the rest of the editor's article that he/she was implying a great influx of material A (say, dragon hides) causes an excess of material B (dragon bones.) But, this is only true for a limited amount of materials. And in any event, there will be no shortage of skillers willing to purchase raw materials any time soon. Based on your "[the number of players in RS in increasing rapidly...]" statement, for every one person that gets 99 Cooking, 3 will take his or her place--requiring 3 times the amount of sharks.

This is a very insightful piece of writing. All the skill cape hunters tend to go after easy skills. Agility has been very popular. Another trend is that less people are training combat proportionate to the number of people playing. (I think) More commodities are made as people race to try and get these levels. So now it probably would be a good time to train combat. Jagex will probably come out with another update causing everyone to go mad and get that instead. Also interlocked skills *should* even it out. However there will probably be waves of this. At some points more things will be out there than others. Finished items (weapons armour, etc.) will be in larger supply, prices will go down and the cycle will start over again. :-s

:?: :?: :?: It's still really confusing though and may go and direction at any time depending on what people decide to do and new updates.

This isn't the main problem, and is instead macroers. This is something that I can not predict and will continue as long as jagex lets it. Also I don't like the "Whitemarket" idea very much.

The arcticle does put, in my opinion, too much blame on skill cape hunters as who doesn't want a skill cape.

-Deathmath

Thoroughly retired, may still write now and again

Have to agree there. A player going after, say, the fishing cape would most likely fly fish, maybe even fish lobs. A player looking for the woodcutting cape would cut willows or maples. Miners powermine iron, etc. Of course, this is not always true. But I would safely bet that it is true over 50% of the time.

Furthermore, the day jagex implents a "legal" real world gold piece buying is the day I quit for good.

I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

rcwar1st.gifconwar3rd.gifwcdec2nd.gifskillwar2nd.gif

Spring2008slaycompsig.png

Again another interesting read this week, while im not a merchant myself i allways find a certain amount of enjoyment in articles dealing with the economy and the editor seems to have a certain knack for the economics of this game, good job well done and i hate that i have to wait a week for a new article =D>

skill Capes gonna have changes I believe!!!

Of course they should low the price of the fishing skill cape of course than they will have more sharks in general stores but that don't come in case

A lot of people (if you go in Karamja fishing spot) are trying to get skillcape so they can fish more sharks

blackmhween06,Zurutius.gif

My stats

siggymv6.png

Quited RuneScape-17 July 2007, Still fighting for f2p rights

I liked it certainly, but one thing I don't agree with is you comparing prohibition to the runescape rules. The fact that it isn't allowed, doesn't mean it will be done more.

In some instances thats true, but not here.

I had to ask someone what a 'Gold Farmer' was :oops:

snowsigyy7.png

OK article, although I don't like the suggestion of being able to buy money. It's different because buying GP has always been illegal, it's not like you could do it before (comparing to Prohibition)

In Soviet Russia, glass eats OTers.

Alansson Alansson, woo woo woo!

Pink owns yes, just like you!

GOOOOOOOOOO ALAN! WOO!

i think its very surprising that the prices fell down, because it's clear that people will try to get the easy skill to 99 (compare the number of people with cooking 99 and with fishing 99). So a normal explenation would be that the prices would rise. I think that things like 'manage your kingdom'mostly contributed to the downfall of the prices, because people got their supplies for a lower price here than on the market.

all with all i think you won't really will be able to say what caused the downfall of the prices, but i'm sure it wasn't only the fault of skillcape-hunters

Scout_ivar.png

Barrows drops: guthan helm x1, torags hammers x1, karils top x1, ahrims staff x1

Guest TaDaraCampbell
Yew logs have dropped from 350 GP to about 330 GP

Prices of yews logs haven't been as high as 350 GP each or even 330 GP each since around 3 years ago :|

I thought this was about current happenings, which should have talked about the lowering from 300 GP each (where yew logs used to be stable about 2 years ago) and how they lowered to around 200 GP each from the onslaught of autoers. The prices began going up very slowly, then at the release of skill capes they rose to 280 GP each, and have now rose to the original 300 GP each.

Other than that, it was a good read,

~Tad

On the Official Runescape Forums, a player made a suggestion that would make all raw materials untradeable. This would totally stop autoing and all skilling businesses would die. But just think how few players would have 99 in a skill. I know this is not totally on the subject but it is just a thought to think about.

I is a genius!

Yery good article. I agree with everything. I still think that the only way to effectively ged rid of autoers is to remove the free portion of the game, and only allow players who pay the $5 per month (NOTE: I do not support this idea, I am simply stating that this is the only way to remove autoers from the game.)

perfect grammar is one thing, typing like a drugged monkey and enjoying it is another

AMEN!

ok the editor may have a few prices wrong but the general idea is still correct.

take red chinchomaps.when hunter came out they went for 200gp ea then when rangers realised they were great exp demand exploded aking them 1k ea at one point.then as people realised it could get them a lot of wealth they all started hunting meeting the demand of teh rangers making the prices drop to 750ea.

as more and more people go for the skill cape the prices fall evem more.ever since i started hunter ive seen them drop by 200gp and theyre still falling,.

another thing is that macroers drive skills requiring raw materials,espeacially runecrafting.crafting nature runes with pure ess to 99 requires 600k-700k pure rune essence which would be next to impossible to mine by a person so thats where macroers become a skillers best freind(kinda.not when it comes to woodcutting).

nice read

tifsdac6mc.gif

this sudden price drop makes it almost impossible for me to get the things i want soley by fishing lobbies and sharks. I guess i will have to resort to merchanting #-o <.< :ohnoes: please let the prices go back up :pray:

41166338jj7.png

click my (very bad) siggy for blog

this sudden price drop makes it almost impossible for me to get the things i want soley by fishing lobbies and sharks. I guess i will have to resort to merchanting #-o <.< :ohnoes: please let the prices go back up :pray:

The things you want should have gone down in price too.

Interesting to see the similarities between rs economy and real one..

Now all we need is a stock.Also i didn't really make a link between all the recent price drops.Very interesting :)

Also,has the nats market also dropped?how much are they now?

Final1.jpg