1 May 2007 - Bots and real-world trading

jessy87

As I wrote in our own forums.

Please note we're NOT in any way saying that all chinese and Koreans are botters and real world traders.

I know there are a reasonable number of legitimate players from those countries.

Just because most the people doing an activity are from a certain country, it does not mean most of the people from that country are doing that activity.

Example: The large majority of people who play the bagpipes are from Scotland. However the vast majority of Scots can't play the bagpipes.

So don't take this as an opportunity to hate on Chinese and Asians in general. If you engage in that sort of behavior in game it's a good way to get yourself a rule 1 punishment for offensive language and racism.

thanks

Paul

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone noticed, 2 weeks ago, that the min lvl to get on the WC hiscores dropped to 59?

Since then, i think it's gone back up, last i checked.

I'll check again.....

Oh, wait, it dropped back to 59 again. But just barely.

Jesus, this is getting bad. I have no will, anymore, to try to WC yews, until Jagex can free the yews from the macros and chinese boys.

Also, keep an eye out by the Crafting guild. I've noticed a lot of people there that have some...ah...chinese names hanging around, that aren't talking to me or trading.

For example, does chengchao sound chinese or korean?

OOH! I KNOW!

Let's have a day where those positively ID'd by Jagex as a botter or a RW item trader have an (attack botter or RW trader name here) option!!!

I want some awesome drops!

Interesting idea... but of course they should be banned instead :P hm came from the mind from crafting guild, weird how the gold farmers aren't usually after absolute efficiency, they work hard, but for example on sharks? in the end they should get better results if they train combat up and learn to beat dks for example... just a thought which has no real matter, perhaps it just wouldn't be worth the longer time you need to do pc for example and chance to getting banned anyway

^ about paul's message

mmmhmm...that's true.

I agree with that, but sadly, I can't help suspecting.

It's sad that happens, but it's natural.

(shrugs)

Anyway, I've noticed some hotspots, also, near the runeshops and the arch shops. Some people are setting bots up there to buy all the deaths, chaos, and arrows.

Just something I noticed.

My MOD Queue and MODs - StarTrekGuide

sig-2-itsaratflail.png

One of the only things that'll work 100% sure is the pking everywhere.

But then you had to choose for the pking mode to be on or not...

And as if the pking everywhere will be brought back :-$

summersignature.png angel2w.gif

"A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do"

[Currently playing: K1ll L1f3]

The problem doesn't lie with autoers or goldfarmers, it lies with the frooblets who pay real money for ingame currency. without these people there would be no goldfarming. If the age requirement was increased (and this was enforcable) it would certainly help the problem but it isnt practical.

I have people on my friends list who have bought runescape accounts and gold, they are all imature (duh) and are incredibly impatient (why the hell do they play runescape??!??!?! but i digress) and see nothing wrong with paying real money to advance their ingame charachter . This is not suprising to me as we live in a world where almost any problem can be circumnavigated by throwing money at it.

As for Jagex solving this problem, its not going to happen theres nothing they can do without risking banning 10's of thousands of innocent people.

China doesn't give a [bleep] about anything but China and i guarantee they don't give two [bleep]s about a company damaging a game, so no fix there either.

I think that Jagex needs to put out a blacklist of all websites that are currently up that support real world trading, so we know what to boycott. But it makes me think, will doing that do more harm than help?

<.<

This problem here is what a lot of people would call a toughie.

Keep working JaGEx, and perhaps we can reduce the black market to smithereens!

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I would be skeptical, but Jagex seems to have eliminated bots from the crafting guild, so I'm thinking they probably got to the guy or guys responsible for farming coins through gold mining. The problem with woodcutters is that there are so many more of them, that Jagex needs a huge team of people to track them all down.

As I wrote in our own forums.

Please note we're NOT in any way saying that all chinese and Koreans are botters and real world traders.

I know there are a reasonable number of legitimate players from those countries.

Just because most the people doing an activity are from a certain country, it does not mean most of the people from that country are doing that activity.

Example: The large majority of people who play the bagpipes are from Scotland. However the vast majority of Scots can't play the bagpipes.

So don't take this as an opportunity to hate on Chinese and Asians in general. If you engage in that sort of behavior in game it's a good way to get yourself a rule 1 punishment for offensive language and racism.

thanks

Paul

When you said this in your announcement

"we have noticed some 3rd party sites,which call themselves 'fansites' but then advertise black market trading sites".

I'm guessing you weren't refering to TIF?

No offence to Tip.it but don't we have 'rs gold ads' on this site and forums.... :oops:

Unlike some other sites, we are banning them.

Although we can't 100% control it since Google puts those adds there, not Tip.It.

That's why we have a sticky where you can please those adds for them to be banned.

Where abouts is said sticky?

Wow 8k accounts last week is a lot, and clearly Jagex themselves have recognised that they are not keeping up. The problem is bigger than I and possibly many others thought.

The only concern in focusing on breaches of rule 12 is the possibility of innocent players getting mistakenly banned. I personally lend out various items and cash worth many millions to close friends. I wouldn't want these to be misconstrued as real world trading!

I agree..many innocent people have actually been banned last month..most rich people anyways.

I will be glad to see these bots go away. Not fair to all those kids who work their tails off mining pure essence, pick flax, chop logs etc. to have prices drop from underneath them. Same goes for all those fishermen that aint gettin half of what sharks used to go for.

We all like buying pure essence for 80 gp ea but we know good and well where it comes from. Same goes for cheap feathers, flax, etc. Its kind of like when in RL u buy clothes made overseas. U know its wrong but u do it cause its cheaper.

All we can do is police the areas ourselves to help Jagex out otherwise we suffer in the end.

mbrun.gif

Barrows Drops: Guthan's platelegs and War Spear, Dharok's plate body and Great Axe, Verac's Flail, Verac's Helm x 2, Ahrim's top, Dharok's plate legs

Dragon Drops: Medium Helm x 4, Shield Left Half, plate legs x 2, skirt x 2.

I agree..many innocent people have actually been banned last month..most rich people anyways.

I disagree. Cmon, how do you know for sure that they are all innocent?

ltjemightyro9.png

Retired.

I think that Jagex needs to put out a blacklist of all websites that are currently up that support real world trading, so we know what to boycott.

Should Jagex put some effort into generating a list of websites that are known to be bad, or should the user simply exercise common sense? Personally, I think that common sense should be used. And don't get paranoid -- just because a site has Google ads doesn't mean it's corrupt...it just means that they haven't worked on banning those types of ads.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

The fact that they called these Rs gold sites sweatshops and gangs shows how overexxagerated they're getting. Why the hell would gangs make money off of Runescape. Or sweatshops. #-o

Personally I see some guy sitting in his room and all of his friends just doing the same thing. Or with bots. If that's a gang, then Pluto's still a planet.

61784167.jpg

I think that Jagex knowed that someone would do that and put the wizzys in draynor...and in other places like Karamja (scorpions) I already saw 1 or 2 lvl 3 that don't talked with me...But i think Thta they made just to let more dificult the Noob Travelers but is a good idea if don't kill them

blackmhween06,Zurutius.gif

My stats

siggymv6.png

Quited RuneScape-17 July 2007, Still fighting for f2p rights

The fact that they called these Rs gold sites sweatshops and gangs shows how overexxagerated they're getting. Why the hell would gangs make money off of Runescape. Or sweatshops. #-o

Personally I see some guy sitting in his room and all of his friends just doing the same thing. Or with bots. If that's a gang, then Pluto's still a planet.

Criminal gangs/syndicates often have their fingers in many pies, pies you might not think of. also it's not uncommon for 'criminal' gangs to make the majority of their money from 'legitimate' trade (not saying selling rscape gold is legitimate). The people doing the 'work' will not be gang members just people coerced into working for them.

Also, if you look a few pages back (or better yet, let me post the vids) you will see just how they go about buisness, much like a nerdy sweatshop (nothing against us no-lifers, heh)

Though if anyone wants to know how gold farmers operate, watch this if you're interested.

panicpantsim9.jpg

What about the for profit ads that Jagex push at us every time we log in?

there's an example of hypocrisy (spelled correctly)

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.

I'm surprised these RS gold sites actually hand the gold over to their "customers". The people running these sites are obviously shady so I would expect them to just take the money and run. I guess they wouldn't get very many repeat customers that way though.

Pixeloaded.jpg

now u guys knows that woodcut & crafting are main abuse of those sweetshop guys, but I can Declar that, they are spreading to fishing - some lv3 guys got more than 60 fishing (I randomly picked several guys and got their level revealed by that highscore system)

:!: It seems that we've to control what one can fish at one specific area, for example u cannot fish Trout at Lumbridge, just like u can NEVER find lava eel elsewhere EXCEPT at river Lava (at Hero's Quest)

:idea: Of course, everyone wants the noob staying away from Sharks, or they'll make those who making a living by selling them to PKers a hard time (by lowering market price)

Currently taking a break from Runescape

yesterday i think because i said to another player "if ya cant beat em mite as well make a few qwid"

later that day a yellow crown named paul said"hope you aint thinkin bout settin bots up tame"and for 30 mins we spoke about things to eradacate the prob i was informed that there will be updates very soon.i responded we have heard that before and if your doing somthing please keep the genuine rs population informed before they also turn gangster.

so its not a pointless piece writen by jagex its info for the population

my guess is a much longer yet more intresting tut island to at least slow down the making off new chars whilst jagex ban the bots already ingame

THE INIVISBLE MODS ARE SPYING ON US!!!! I'm scawd mummy!! :oops:

btw, look at my emotes!! :^o :^o :^o :^o :^o

since when do you have a chat with paul!?!?!??!?!?!?!

DO NOT PM ME IF I'M ONLINE!!

Don't swear DIK-HEAD!!!! :evil:

Omg, Bob is Zaros :P

4lzcdxw.jpg

I will kill all who come within 1 square of me!!
I own you noob!
Where's your fire cape then noob?!?!
You hurt my feelings

They can make thousands a week doing this... Its so easy and free to do.. They said they banned many accounts with a total of 6 billion RS gold on them all up.... The current price for gold is $3-4US, you do the maths.. Thats a lot of money to be made

homerhc6.jpg

Respect- Oy_the_Great, Lode, Bubsa, Weezcake, Thrash111, Gloric, Vmser, Pianofrieak2, Runemetsa

Sigs Made By - Pink

i support Jagex 100% in this. maybe some of you who think it's an overreaction are members and don't see it as clearly as f2p'ers do.. there is not a yew in the game (that i know of) that isn't covered by at least one or 2 robots/farmers/whatever.

it really is a big deal, and it is frustrating when you report 20 of them in a 30 second span (well I can, I'm a mod.) and then the next day theres plenty more of them.

plus, when i cut willows, people trying to help are like "zomg leap look at all the macros!!" ... previously i said "jagex knows, they're working on it," but to be honest, i didnt believe what i was saying. now i am positive they know.

thank you jagex!!

Leapfrog229.gif

I guess cause I never saw the need. I also felt that if I moved into the version of the game that was always changing that it would in some way invalidate the work that I had already put into my account.