$65M lawsuit over a pair of pants...

crimsonking

Judge sues cleaner for $65M over pants By LUBNA TAKRURI, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - The Chungs, immigrants from South Korea, realized their American dream when they opened their dry-cleaning business seven years ago in the nation's capital. For the past two years, however, they've been dealing with the nightmare of litigation: a $65 million lawsuit over a pair of missing pants.

Jin Nam Chung, Ki Chung and their son, Soo Chung, are so disheartened that they're considering moving back to Seoul, said their attorney, Chris Manning, who spoke on their behalf.

"They're out a lot of money, but more importantly, incredibly disenchanted with the system," Manning said. "This has destroyed their lives."

The lawsuit was filed by a District of Columbia administrative hearings judge, Roy Pearson, who has been representing himself in the case.

Pearson did not return phone calls and e-mails Wednesday from The Associated Press requesting comment.

According to court documents, the problem began in May 2005 when Pearson became a judge and brought several suits for alteration to Custom Cleaners in Northeast Washington, a place he patronized regularly despite previous disagreements with the Chungs. A pair of pants from one suit was not ready when he requested it two days later, and was deemed to be missing.

Pearson asked the cleaners for the full price of the suit: more than $1,000.

But a week later, the Chungs said the pants had been found and refused to pay. That's when Pearson decided to sue.

Manning said the cleaners made three settlement offers to Pearson. First they offered $3,000, then $4,600, then $12,000. But Pearson wasn't satisfied and expanded his calculations beyond one pair of pants.

Because Pearson no longer wanted to use his neighborhood dry cleaner, part of his lawsuit calls for $15,000 ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ã

crim2ma.jpg

~^v^~Ex-Leader of the Divine Flames of Redemption~^v^~

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

::' :thumbsup: How are the Chungs going to pay up $60M+ If they lose their courtcase?

Maybe the Judge isn't stupid at all but in fact wants to show to the public how the law has major loop wholes in it, and how it needs changing.

A friend to all is a friend to none.

1. Stupid Person(He is a judge mind you, would not want him to preside over a case of mine lol)

2. The CHungs will probably not pay anything at all, $65 Million is what...Not achievable by a dry cleaning service in 100 life times.

gydot2007sig.gif

Teetering on the brink of insanity

when i read the american dream part i immediatly thougt of the gta4 trailer:

I sold people,smuggeld people and killed people. i hope things here will be different.

wel for them its sure different =p a 60million lawsuit different

::' :thumbsup: How are the Chungs going to pay up $60M+ If they lose their courtcase?

Maybe the Judge isn't stupid at all but in fact wants to show to the public how the law has major loop wholes in it, and how it needs changing.

Yeah, I don't doubt his intelligence otherwise he wouldn't know enough to take control of these loopholes, but your senario is very unlikely.

crim2ma.jpg

~^v^~Ex-Leader of the Divine Flames of Redemption~^v^~

Just sounds like not a nice person.

And how the heck can he count the child as a defendant?

tshh

iteme3721.jpg

Making everyone in the world hate and despise him so he can end up losing a case that wasn't going to go anywhere anyways.

Genius.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

I feel like suing him for wasting my time with reading a article, which caused me grief when i missed a important phone call, and had he not attempted to sue i would have got the call, and not lost precious time.

Hell, i could make that last 2 f'ing years in court.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

What a stupid excuse to sue someone, surely no jury would convict the dry-cleaners for losing someones trousers???

who knows, McDonald's was suided becasue they didn't put a labal saying "Hot Coffee" when the lady ordered "Hot Coffee" :roll:

legends2.jpg

Wow... just wow that's really pathetic, especially considering the fact that they found them and he wouldnt assept them, which is why the amount got so high. He shouldnt be able to count all those days seeing as they offered to compensate. I hope this guy loses in court and ends up just looking like a greedy idiot.

Sprite-2.jpg

519881548elmosotw.jpg

What an idiot.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

Greedy... Were there any serious problems caused? Did someone die? Don't think so. I've seen worse CRIMINAL cases with less money in the lawsuit than this pair of pants thing.

The judge should be ashamed. An immigrant family coems to start a new life? what do they get? big fat fine for 65million. It'd take centuries of dry cleaning to pay it off. That judge gets paid a ton for being a judge, and isn't satisfied? He's a disgrace to america. Off with his head!

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.