The next new skill

Perakp

Warning: The following contains small spoilers of the following quests: Regicide, In aid of the Myreque, Legends quest, Another slice of Ham, The dig site and the Desert treasure.

-

Soon it has been 6 months since the release of the last skill Hunter and 12 months since Construction came out. After reading this month's behind the scenes some people have predicted that the next skill will come out in May 2007. The BTS talks about the Varrock city graphical update and the Varrock museum getting new features:

Not wanting to be outdone, the King of Varrock heard about this proposed makeover and, well, he got a bit upset by it all. How could a funny little insect get all this attention when his own kingdom was feeling a little neglected? Queen Ellamaria wouldnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t stand for this much longer; left with little choice, he decided to get the builders in. In our last update of the month, we will be introducing the new look Varrock, complete with a totally new and redesigned Varrock Museum. YouÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ll be able to experiment with rock samples carted over from the Dig Site, help out in the natural history section and even complete new exhibits by telling the curators about the adventures you've had during your quests and travels. Naturally, youÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ll be rewarded for assisting with these things, mainly with good old fashioned chunks of experience. DonÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t forget, youÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ll also have the new look city to explore, so we're hoping youÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ll find something to amuse you!

Some things to point out:

- The text hints that the museum will grow bigger than it is now. It talks about curators, in plural. At the moment there is just one curator in the museum. More curators could be needed to take care of the bigger museum.

- Experimenting with rock samples, completing new exhibits and getting chunks of xp sounds either like a minigame or a new skill. Knowing Jagex I'd say this is a skill ;) Why would they be so secretive about a new minigame?

I don't know about you, but to me this is exactly Jagex's style of telling nothing, but infact telling more than you'd first notice. They did the same thing when construction was coming out, and my spider-sense was right back then too. I'm 99% sure that this will be a new skill. The time is right, the hints are out there, but the number of "omg a new skill coming out" -topics is near to zero.

Next I'll try to predict what this new skill will be like. The BTS tells a few examples what the skill involves, but it doesn't tell anything too clearly or what the rewards are. The last few skills had hints about them before they were released, so I'll search for similar hints about this skill next.

Hints of the previous skills:

Farming (July 2005)

- In the legends quest you had to grow a tree from Yommi seeds and make a totem pole of it.

- You could plant mithril seeds and pick up flowers.

- The legend of Arrav, from the Library of Varrock, tells that Arrav was taught the skill of farming.

- You were able to get seeds by pickpocketing farmers and from monster drops before the skill was out.

Construction (May 2006)

- Teak and mahogany trees were added to the game before the skill was out (Tai Bwo- clean up - August 2005, Royal trouble -May 2006)

- You were able to 'construct' houses, bank booths etc in the quest 'In aid of the Myreque'.

- Construction was the skill that people had been waiting for since rsc, people had found knowledgebase leaks and seen non-released-objects beforehand from some weird website. The hype was huge, even when the bts was very obscure.

Hunter (November 2006)

- There were traps and tracks in the Isafdar forests (regicide).

- Bug report- leak, when reporting a bug you could pick a skill that the bug was about, the list also had hunter on it, before it was even announced.

- The legend of Arrav also mentioned the skill of hunting.

- The hype was huge because of the BTS telling that hunter was coming, so Jagex decided not to announce the future skills in the BTS's anymore.

Archeology (possible name for the next skill)

- Dig site and the Desert treasure have archeologists in them and Dig site is all about digging. Archeology will most likely be about panning, digging and experimenting with rock samples.

- Another slice of ham required you to use your speciment brush once again.

- The ruby necklace will get a use when the museum gets it's update. Pretty weird for a necklace to be used in a normal graphical update or a minigame?

- "Helm must be rejoined when the Gypsy gets a makeover." - said chaos elemental's letter in the postbag from the hedge (August 2006). The Gypsy lives in Varrock, so she'll get her makeover this month. No idea what the helm part means though, but it could be related to the next skill.

That should cover all the proof and hints that people have found. Now all we can do is wait and speculate on what it could be like. It could be finding new (or extremely old) weapons and armor, like was done in the another ham slice, or discovering tombs and temples, artefacts and treasure or just bones and pottery.

It could also be interesting to speculate on wether this skill was spot- dependant, so there only was a restricted number of training spots and immerse fighting over them (like in hunter) or if it was a money sink like construction (repairing and restoring artefacts could be expensive) or if it was slow, annoying, pointless and stupid like... none of the skills so far :mrgreen:

So, what do you think? Am I just babbling over nothing and making up my own theories that will never come true, or is there really something great and huge coming towards us sooner than we think? There are only two weeks left of May and we have already gone through most of the updates mentioned in the bts. And no matter what they release, I'm sure we'll find something to amuse us!

Btw, if this isn't a new skill and I'm wrong, and it's just a lame rock example brushing and get some crafting xp update, I will :wall: <-

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok some of that is accurate, but some "hints" IMHO are just coincidences. Did Jagex really put traps in regicide with the intention of making a hint for a skill that would come out 2 years later? :-s

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

Ill eat a shoe if Archeology comes out, seriously whats the point :? .

And the hints are not really hints except for maybe the Arrav parts.

Maybe a minigame like the WoM, but nothing more

reaper6zr7.png

Interrested in joining the cabbagy madness? Click here to go to our forums, and say hi ^^

lol one of the biggest pvp updates of the year, and tip it is discussing granite

i think you've just read too much between the lines, that you've gone right through to the other side of the paper...

you've done your reasearch and you've presented your evidence nicely, however

Won't have a new skill for now, a minigame is 80% probable.
and i have to agree with that, a new skill is something JaGeX would use to gain PR and build up excitment, many a few "accidental" leaks.

This secrecy is definatly the handy work of a minigame... But hey hope i'm wrong, i love the new skills :thumbsup:

-= weasel =- rsname: moosewalker ~ top 10000 player :D

newscape300x50qz7.giffull qp - always willing to chat add me...

seems like a dumb skill, why make it? to uncover ancient autoers and noobs?

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

a new skill is something JaGeX would use to gain PR and build up excitment, many a few "accidental" leaks.

When Jagex finally released Construction the only thing they put in BTS regarding it's release was this sentence "We are also adding some other smaller features to the game later this month, such as clockwork toys for your cats, teleportation tablets, making your own cups of tea and even chairs you can sit down in.". I wouldn't rule anything out ;)

Dork.jpeg

Sig And Avatar by Tripsis - 99 Slayer Blog - My Pyramid Plunder Guide

Owner of Fire Cape since 28-09-2005 - 426th to 99 Strength

I don't know where people get these ideas, but they sure are farfetched. Heck, they are telling us about a graphical update and you are already finding hints to new skills and relations to old quests/news. Isn't that going a bit too paranoid?

signaturehoh.jpg

I'd rather die for what I believe in than live for anything else.

Name Removed by Administrator ~Turtlefemm

Guest Lue_Dogs
I hope you're wrong

That as a new skill would be awful

such a narrow minded view on this subject i could handle digging up 3rd age armors(not the TT 1's) and using them. no one has considered the fact that RS is a land of great warriors present past future. and digging up old armors might just be a great way to expand high lvl content.

we could really just make armor that takes 60 hours to fully break, but is better then barrows with OUT a set effect.

I can dig up guthix!

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

Use the Search button, there's already a few threads on this topic. They've all come down to one thing to, it's not going to happen.

Now I can see the point of hunter, that's fun trying to trap an animal, but I mean Archeology, that's just not going to happen. Maybe as a minigame sure, but as a total skill that would just be boring as hell; digging up things all day.

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I honestly wish they would spend more time fixing the broken and outdated skills we already have, rather than adding new ones.

~q

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Ok some of that is accurate, but some "hints" IMHO are just coincidences. Did Jagex really put traps in regicide with the intention of making a hint for a skill that would come out 2 years later? :-s

Propably not with the intention of making a hint, but the ideas of pitfall trapping monsters and tracking down kebbits are exactly the same as what there was in the regicide. From this we could've guessed what the skill was going to be like and maybe by searching for similar things now, we could guess what the next skill will be like.

seems like a dumb skill, why make it? to uncover ancient autoers and noobs?

I'm sure all the future skills will have some use. And remember to compare the new stuff to the stuff that we already got instead of comparing it to the stuff you want. For example in my opinion hunter was much better skill than mining. I don't even want to think of how much rants Jagex would get if they released mining as a new skill now. "omg lol we can mine runite? what's the point we already got dragon armor?"

I don't know where people get these ideas, but they sure are farfetched. Heck, they are telling us about a graphical update and you are already finding hints to new skills and relations to old quests/news. Isn't that going a bit too paranoid?

Maybe I am already digging up non-existing treasures, but there definitely will be something else than just a graphical update. Just the ruby necklace tells enough. And I find speculating quite fun :mrgreen:

*buys a helmet for the extreme headbang* :wall:

Use the Search button, there's already a few threads on this topic. They've all come down to one thing to, it's not going to happen.

Now I can see the point of hunter, that's fun trying to trap an animal, but I mean Archeology, that's just not going to happen. Maybe as a minigame sure, but as a total skill that would just be boring as hell; digging up things all day.

Thanks for the tip, please lock this if needed.

hmmmm i doubt there will be new skills

but still, it is my dream to sell Alchemy becoming a skill,

for level 1-50 alchemy, you need charcoal to draw trasmutation circle to do something

for level 50+, you can just wear the glove that includes drawn transmutation circle around it so u can perform alchemy

for level 80+, you do a quest to see the Gate, after that u can perform alchemy anyway u want

This would follow the law of equal exchange, like turning a rune kite into a rune warhammer, turning a rune plate into a rune kite and a scimmy, etc, turning wood feather and iron bar into arrow immediately, W00t I would die for this skill. It would be nice if you can perform alchemy on ur enemy's weapons, changing them into crap for like a min.

I feel so dumb, but still, I love Fullmetal Alchemists.

I can't wait until the Varrock update proves Jagex only ever intended for it to be a quest or minigame. However, if it does become a new skill I shall tip my hat to you for your detective skills. :wink:

On the day before the BTS for Hunter came out, I said that hunter would never come out because it sounded too much like slayer, and that it sounded just like a stupid skill to be implemented. After Hunter was announced in the BTS, I felt silly and angry at the same time.

Now, I don't think that this "skill" will ever come out. It sounds just like a minigame to me.

I hope the same thing doesn't happen again... -.-

No longer playing Runescape, I caught the WoW bug.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I honestly wish they would spend more time fixing the broken and outdated skills we already have, rather than adding new ones.

~q

nope i would love other skills to improve.mainly the room limit on construction forcing me to have a rubbish dungeon and a small garden and the lack of really high level hunter animals(panther?) and a 95/90 slayer monster.

i wouldnt like archaeology anyway -.-

tifsdac6mc.gif

archeology....

first of i really think there would be more clues out on a new skill, as the construction one, wasn't to hard to figure out what was coming.

i don't think this will be anything very special and if thers to be a skill i doubt archeology..

fresiandthesheep1.jpg

Dyslexia lvl 99, Youtube:3D RS, My 3D on Tif, My Runetrack, My Tif Profile