Jagex have messed up...

sirgudi

I agree that piss, damn, crap, frickin, and phone should be uncensored. However, I think they were right in censoring 'gay.' Many people I've met in RS are immature, and would overuse that word and also be discriminatory.

i agree with that lol.

and one of te main reasons is it messes up chat, you constantly get this:

so wh********************

its very annoying when i'm pking on my pures...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too think the monkey in charge of the censor at Jagex is a comeplete muppet. I really hate how just because the majority of players are unfortunatly American, Jagex feel they must make sure not to tread on eggshells in that backwards country.

The word 'Damn' is seen nowhere near as strongly here in England as it is in the States, and if for whatever reason I want to vent my frustration with that word then I should be able to.

For flips sake, the word 'Sex' is censored!! How in almighty hell is that?! Yes, we all know how it can be misused, but what is the point in putting an age 13+ restriction on the game? Oh no! You're not allowed to mention one of the most basic functions of a human!

The best option in my mind would be to either raise Runescape to 16+/18+ and have no censor strictly (for instance you need to have a debit/credit card number in order to play, and yes I know kids can steal their parents cards), or to simply let each player deciede if they want to have a filter!

They could quite easily make it so that every new account has the box [Filter strong language[x]] checked at the begining, and then leave it up to each player whether they want to uncheck it.

calvinandhobbessigedite.png

I too think the monkey in charge of the censor at Jagex is a comeplete muppet. I really hate how just because the majority of players are unfortunatly American, Jagex feel they must make sure not to tread on eggshells in that backwards country.

The word 'Damn' is seen nowhere near as strongly here in England as it is in the States, and if for whatever reason I want to vent my frustration with that word then I should be able to.

For flips sake, the word 'Sex' is censored!! How in almighty hell is that?! Yes, we all know how it can be misused, but what is the point in putting an age 13+ restriction on the game? Oh no! You're not allowed to mention one of the most basic functions of a human!

The best option in my mind would be to either raise Runescape to 16+/18+ and have no censor strictly (for instance you need to have a debit/credit card number in order to play, and yes I know kids can steal their parents cards), or to simply let each player deciede if they want to have a filter!

They could quite easily make it so that every new account has the box [Filter strong language[x]] checked at the begining, and then leave it up to each player whether they want to uncheck it.

agreed once again, maybe they should give people the option, instead of telling them what they are allowed/not allowed to say.

this could also prevent unfair bans due to rule one (no offensive language)

Okey, I started playing runescape before I was 10 years old, but I've never from my own opinion been an total jerk, I even had many adult friends, so I think I was a sensitive but now days I find that there are 9 year old kids who talk and use all rude words and I'm getting sick of it.

[hide=Idiotic Conversations] Yes they talk like this:

Who want's 2 fuack meh.

I want [kitty] and etc. Im just so sick of it. [/hide]

The best thing for this would be choosing if you want to have the filtering on or not. I think the censor makes RS look like a kids' game.

Why does Jagex accept the word "underwear" but not "bra"?

6,521th to 99 woodcutting | Fletching 98/99 |

Idarodo | Combat 90 | Total 1565+ | 38m+ total exp

Retired.

How about they make the censor optional if you acquire 1000+ total level? Until then, you cannot turn it off. With that said, however, the changes would only be client-side. If you had the censor turned off, people's words would not appear censored to you but they would to other people who still have it enabled.

td2sig.jpg

The best thing for this would be choosing if you want to have the filtering on or not. I think the censor makes RS look like a kids' game.

Why does Jagex accept the word "underwear" but not "bra"?

Bra means Good in norway :$

Why should J allow these words? Who gains from them? You know that everybody will just abuse the privilege.

I don't see why people would have to say these words.

Exactly my view.

I don't understand something here. Why do you people WANT those words? What does it do for you? Seriously.

Truthscape - qeltar's excellent insights into RuneScape and more

Cave Story - Best Free RPG ever

-Retired. Forever-

How about they make the censor optional if you acquire 1000+ total level? Until then, you cannot turn it off. With that said, however, the changes would only be client-side. If you had the censor turned off, people's words would not appear censored to you but they would to other people who still have it enabled.

WTF? Since when was total level a measure of maturity? You can train a toddler how to click on rocks mindlessly or how to fish->bank->fish etc. I think Jagex is making a good decision to censor those words, if my parents saw somebody on RS saying those words and they're not blocked then I'll probably be forbidden from playing it ever again.

Unfortunately, Jagex is an international company and has to cater for people from all over the world. Just because 'damn' isn't seen as strongly in the UK as in America is no reason that they shouldn't block it. Neither should you assume that because most people have heard those words at age 10-12 everybody has. Is it really so much of an inconvenience to just speak normal language without any even slightly offensive words?

That being said, I think Jagex should either block 'gay' and 'straight', or block neither. They might be blocking discrimination by blocking 'gay', but aren't they themselves discriminating by blocking it as well? Sure 'straight' has another meaning, but so does 'gay'.

Jagex is NOT decide to require players to be age 13 or older before making an account. America's government decided that, and since much of Jagex's customers are AMERICANS, they felt they needed to cater to that rule.

Also, whether or not those words are censored in a movie is irrelevant to whether or not it's appropriate. Most of those words are disgusting words that people use when they have a limited vocabulary, or when they can find no other way to express themselves.

I personally think that the censor is great. It really bothers me how people have to resort to swear words all the time nowadays.

Jagex is based in England; that American law does not apply to them.

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

i agree that it is annoying when you cannot write some simple, unoffensive text without it being censored - try selling something for 400k for example

it's a shame that many people have the problem of blurting out swear words while writing - it must take the user some thought into what they are typing. At least with cursing out loud after you have just walked into a tree or something is more realistic, because many of us do it without thinking (the swearing i mean, not walking into a tree...)

i think that the filter should only block out direct swearing, using full legible words. If a person has to put effort into writing curses with 1337 sp33k, he should get at least a black mark. someone who put so much effort fiding numbers to replace letters in a curse could of just as easily said less abusive things, like "darn it" and "please go away".

i think this would mean we could speak normally without having basic things censored because someone has been able to make 400k look like swearing...

oh yeah, and the 13+ think aplies to england as well - runescape is classed as a chat site like habbo and myspace, meaning users must be 13+ before they can give information online. or something like that (cant remewmber law exacty).

here is the quote directly from runescapes privacy policy http://www.runescape.com/privacy/privacy.ws

If you are under the age of 13, you must not create an account. We don't knowingly permit anyone under 13 to use any of our websites. Nor do we knowingly collect any personally identifiable information from preteens. Internet safety experts have advised that preteens do not fully appreciate the risk of providing too much personal information online or communicating with strangers they encounter online. And the game difficulty level is for teenagers and older. While we appreciate that many preteens would want to use our websites, we urge parents to instruct their children not to lie about their age so as to be able to use our websites before they are old enough. Instead, we recommend that parents set up an account and play together with their preteens who are otherwise too young to play the Game or our other games. Many parents have reported that playing our games as a family is fun and rewarding. Then when your children are 13 they will be ready for their own account.

i hope that clears things up. i put in bold the quote about communicating for preteens.

(i noticed the teenager dificulty section (highlighted in red) which does not agree with much of runescapes stuff... another subject of discussion for a later time perhaps)

phaper.png

killing off the TET, one newb at a time :^_^:

latestsig-1.png

im cutting back on rs now due to rl issues (college), my sig stats havent been updated in a while...

last time i checked , this is no movie. i say lock this.

Howdydee2003:

99 Attack - 99 Strength - 99 Hits - 99 Magic - 99 Smithing

First To get 99 Smithing With GoldSmithing Guants

Zx7r Ninja (Currently Training) Updated 2/14/09: Ags Achieved on 2/15/09

75/75 Attack 89/99 Strength 50/50 Def 78/85 Hits

***Owned a Bandos Godsword since 59 Combat***

Yup Jagex is suiting the little kids but on the streets in the towns and on TV people say much worse things.

I was at a ballgame listening to these 7 or 6 year olds i didn't know them all they said after every other Word was the F word i meen cmon! These are little kids.

Look at our Holiday events for the past 1 year they are babyish the antlers and the chicken outfit omg!

Look we want stuff like party hats and santas and rubber chickens!

We are not babies atleast i'm not. We curse and cuse to let anger out and we should be able to say minor curse words.

These filters are horrible it won't even let you say MPH i meen omg!

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Yup Jagex is suiting the little kids but on the streets in the towns and on TV people say much worse things.

I was at a ballgame listening to these 7 or 6 year olds i didn't know them all they said after every other Word was the F word i meen cmon! These are little kids.

Look at our Holiday events for the past 1 year they are babyish the antlers and the chicken outfit omg!

We are not babies atleast i'm not. We curse and cuse to let anger out and we should be able to say minor curse words.

agreed..agreed..agr-WHAAAAAAA!

why in bods name would you want to say MPH???

Watch, this Christmas Holiday event we are going to recieve rattles from saving "Santy Claws" from the monster under the Bed! :o

songokusigtif.png

I agree with this. Heck, the game is 13+, so Jagex should act like only 13+ people play, right? And yes, when I get pked, I do definitely want to stay "damn" or "crap", but have to resort to "darn" and "carp" now (the latter which also means a fish :wink: ).

MPH=Miles per hour right?

2077089531_93b87b9d10.jpg

You're being watched.

Jagex tends to think more with their sexual organs and the dirty parts of their brains.

They block every word that even has the potential if being used the wrong way, such as homo (although it is a prefix meaning "same"), com (imo only .com should be blocked to prevent advertising), "nob", bum (so you can't say you are bummed out, because it could mean your nether-regions, you used to be unable to say "fart", crap (now ffs, elementary school teachers say crap), etc etc.

I think jagex figures that half the people that sign up to play runescape are lying and are under 13. And what can jagex do to stop them? They have no idea if they're lying or not. Because of this there are a large number of players below, and even well below the age of 12. So jagex makes their censors like their hosting a bunch of six year olds- which is a smart idea because they will also get the thumbs-up with parents for censoring so many words that six-year olds should know yet ;) .

Try typing phone or telephone or cellphone in see what happens...

i definatly knew what "phone" ment when i was 6 :wall: :wall: :wall:

Michigander.png

The thing is, even though jagex says the game is 13+

That doesn't mean they don't want the 5 year olds to sign up for membership ;)

And how many mothers would let their 5-13 year olds play a game with gay frikin piss and whatever else all over it? And how many mothers would actually PAY to have their kids playing that?.... little to none ;)

So that's why, when we're talking about a company, which' objective, as other companies, is to make money, those words are censored.

I think jagex figures that half the people that sign up to play runescape are lying and are under 13. And what can jagex do to stop them? They have no idea if they're lying or not. Because of this there are a large number of players below, and even well below the age of 12. So jagex makes their censors like their hosting a bunch of six year olds- which is a smart idea because they will also get the thumbs-up with parents for censoring so many words that six-year olds should know yet ;) .

Try typing phone or telephone or cellphone in see what happens...

i definatly knew what "phone" ment when i was 6 :wall: :wall: :wall:

come on man !!!!!!!! try to think !!!!!!!!

Would you like your kid to give away your/their phone number, email adress, HOME adress, or maybe where he goes to school to some 50 year old freak waiting to get into some more direct contact with him?

We're talking about kids who cannot fully reason about the dangers yet, and as long as those kids get their parents to pay 5$ a month, jagex will want them in their game ;)

Not that hard to understand :S