computer games stole my son

hockey0510

Umm.. if the kid's recently admitted he has a problem and wants to go back to school, it's simple, cut him off from the game..

If he wants to go back, he won't complain about being cut off..

This is completely the parents fault..

Someone needs to make an article on the same newspaper "Computer Games Stole My Son Because We As Parents Didn't Pay Attention Or Even Try To Stop His Addiction."

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he gets aggressive the dad should just do what my dad did to me the first time I went toe-to-toe with my pops.

Put him through a wall and tell him to walk it off.

Yeah... Never gonna do that again #-o

EDIT: For all of you who think my dad is abusive, he's not. Just incredibly strong and NOT afraid to put someone in their place.

exactly what i was gonna say. call me old-fasioned, insensitive, or just an [wagon], but to me, most of the problems with kids these days can be solved with something i like to call "repressive therapy"

i've had this conversation with my own dad, and i've come to the conclusion that if he had lived his childhood in today's time, he probably would have been diagnosed with ADHD. but every time he acted up, his parents just slapped the [cabbage] out of him, and he was fine. he turned out fine, and is a productive member of society. i was a pretty good kid, but when i did talk back i got the same treatment. and what do you know, im going to college and getting a mechanical engineering degree. discipline works.

now someone else i know, on the other hand, HAS been diagnosed with ADHD, and his parents are afraid to discipline him. he talks back to his parents, doesnt respect them, is going to be a senior in high school, and is doing drugs and getting arrested all the time. he called his mom a [bleep] right in front of his dad. if i had ever called my mom names, i wouldn't have been able to walk for probably a week. if his parents had only disciplined him, he wouldnt be in this mess.

i know people are reading this and saying "this is all [cabbage]" but to anyone who doesnt respect thier parents, i have no respect for you. you are the lowest of the low, i don't care how bad your parents are, unless they were abusive or neglecting, they raised you hopefully to the best of thier abilities and they sustained you for the early years of your life. you literally owe your very lives to them.

but on the other hand, parents who don't discipline thier kids are just asking to be disrespected, walked on, and disappointed in thier children for the rest of thier lives.

it's a toss up. i blame society for becoming so lenient with punishment. hell, some parents are even being criticized for spanking thier kids as a form of discipline.

simpleholyhandgrenade.gif

holygrail-1.jpg

it's a toss up. i blame society for becoming so lenient with punishment. hell, some parents are even being criticized for spanking thier kids as a form of discipline.

Fuggin A. I've been in heaps of arguments for smacking my 15 month old son in public. What did they expect me to do? Let him grab the 6 pack of glasses and smash it on the floor? I know he's a kid but he's gotta learn respect and discipline.

I was the kinda kid who could be told 'No' a million times and I'd still go and do it anyway. Smack me once, and I'd never do it again. There's nothing wrong with todays kids, except pansy parenting methods.

Ananke32.png

z0mg y0u h1t y0ur k1d??/

I'm only fourteen and yet I am already sick & tired with people who think that disiplining your child with a little slap is HORRIBLE! AHHH! My goosieness, some children will not understand it is wrong until they get some kind of consequence other then the word no, no, no, no, no, no. Say it till your blue in the face, it won't help some people.

Kaisershami.png

Kaisershami.png

meorkunderscore-1.jpg

I think its funny that just because his son didn't want to play sports anymore, that it was a bad thing? So I'm guessing that if the son played for 16 hours a day for 14 months straight it would be alright, but because he is playing a video game it's not? Wtf man, wtf.. :-s Stick the computer outside.. Maybe that would work you [bleeps]..

Yes and another thing I agree with all of you guys/gals here. It is the parents fault who don't punish their children by doing something more than saying no.. I've only been spanked once by my father and because of that I do anything he tells me now(not stupid things like you less mature are thinking(jumping off a bridge)), I don't sass back, I don't disrespect him.. I'm only a senior in highschool, and yet I've figured it out faster than most children in teh world..

I've only been spanked once by my father

Just the once? Damn, you do learn quick! My parents broke wooden spoons over my backside. :lol: Although they stopped using the wooden spoon the day the head flew off, bounced off the wall and hit my mother in the forehead. :mrgreen:

Ananke32.png

Computer games can trigger as much endorfin as things such as sex and a drug habit.

For those who know nothing of endorfin, read up on google right now.

Because you who say he should "simply" break the habit obviously have no flucking clue, and in reality are the real fools, for being so cocky.

Addiction isn't funny, and the ones who posted they thought the whole article was all fun and games disgust me.

This topic isn't even a discussion, just a gathering of little boys and girls laughing and pointing at the lesser person.

:shame: :shame: :shame:

I do believe it's more the parents' fault then the company. If you can't help your kid with his/her problems you shouldn't have been a parent in the first place. You can't blame a war on a weapon producer...

ashmsig1uq.png

overseerlp5.png

R.I.P. Shiva and Steve

"His sister moved out because she couldn't cope with his bizarre addiction. "

Hahaha stupidest thing I ever heard. The kid doesnt stop playing runescape so his sister moves out? I dont think so.

What a bunch of garbage spoken by people who grew up in a generation without video games and see them all as evil liquidizers of kids minds.

Depends on how it was affecting her though. She may have needed the computer for study or work and been unable to use it. If that was the case, I can understand, any thing else I'd say she used it as an excuse to move out.

how would that make a difference? unless the computer magically split in half as she left. She should have her own comp anyway at that age.

I do believe it's more the parents' faualt then the company. If you can't help your kid with his/her problems you shouldn't have been a parent in the first place. You can't blame a war on a weapon producer...
congradualtions, you were just sigged

After reading the article and 10 pages of response, I...feel the need to say something about everything.

(I'll start small)

No.1: for the ones cracking on community college, not everyone that is smart can afford to go to a named college. You can be the next Stephen Hawkings, Albert Einstein, or Andrew Gower, it still won't make a difference if you don't have the cash.

No.2: I got the feeling that the sister used the addiction as an excuse to leave the house because she was either taking advantage in order to leave or was hiding a pregnancy or drug addiction. and Malo, again, just because you are a certain age doesn't mean you should have a computer. It's a question of money and how much you have.

No.3: Someone posted that they knew the afflicted, addicted kid. I am angry at the person for wanting publicity from this tragedy. You say you know the guy. We DON'T CARE! You say you won't release the name. THEN WHY MENTION IT AT ALL! You either know him and want publicity or you don't know him and want to feel important. Either way, you should have stayed quiet.

No.4:I feel sorry for this kid. He was either trying to avoid physical or mental trauma in his daily life (possibly stemming from his parent's divorce) or he was not raised well enough to realize the error of his ways. Eitherway, both things are something that neither children nor adults should go through in their lives. Unfortunately, they do (This is earth after all, you can't make it the way you want it).

No.5: These have to be one of the poorest excuses for parents in the modern world. (The ones that forgot to feed their children because they were too busy playing games go in the top ten.)

What kind of parent doesn't notice the sudden change (if there was one, which i doubt) in their child's behavior? One day he's out in the street, playing with his friends. The next he's in his room as his friends knock on the door asking him to come outside. One has to take into factor that the mother is single and under more stress than the father, but she should still try hard to be active in the child's life. The father should too, it's not like the kid's are no longer his responsibility. They obviously have no discipline over their children and are unaware of the going-ons of their lives. I can't understand how a parent can be oblivious to the fact that your son SKIPPED SCHOOL FOR 2 MONTHS! HOW CAN YOU BE UNAWARE OF THAT! It's disturbing that a parent doesn't notice the physcial/behavioral change of their son. Even more disturbing is the possibility that they knew EXACTLY what was going on and did nothing to stop this behavior. It's probably one of the easiest things to do. PRESS THE OFF BUTTON! I can understand that the parents were afraid of causing their child pain. They probably rationalized that since the divorce, they should let their son try to attain happiness any way he can. They don't want to feel guilty for hurting him emotionally. That's probably why they let him play. But now, when they open their eyes, they see how wrong they were and, not wanting to feel guilty for doing this to their son, THEY BLAME RUNESCAPE! It's an outrage!

No.6: I think this article was mocking runescape. As they described the game, it felt like they were saying that millions of people are addicted to it and have no hope. That was unfair and, though it couldn't hold up in court, I think it was slanderous.

No.7: many people say that 16 hours is automatic addiction status. While in this boy's case, that was true, maybe you should try tot read this before making assumption. http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?times=82

The internet: A place where the men are men, the women are men, and 13 year old girls are FBI agents.
looks like WoW's interface.

Were you too lazy to read 3 posts above or too stupid to comprehend it?

Brothers and sisters, I have none, but that man's father is my father's son. Who is that man?

i think am a bit addicted to rs - i play about 10-15 hours a day if am in but as soon as theres sumot better to do am off i dont understand why peopel would rarther play rs insted of go out wid m8s but anyway i dont think i could jst stop playing - id die (i can go like a week or so if am doing sumot lol) if my mum cut the internet id go mad lol so i can simpasise wid the poor kid (arrrgh crap am growing a feminin side -.- ) but cold turky is the only way to go in that situation - like aclocholics 1 drink and there ryt back down again - he neva should have been alwoud to play for so long in the first place - problems like that should neva evern happon in the first place let alone need solveing (ill stop ranting lol)

After reading this thread I felt the urge to log in and post. I myself am 15 also and have been playing Runescape for over a year and a half. In the beginning of playing the game I was incredibly hooked on it and wanted badly to skip school to play. The difference between me and the kid featured in the article is that I didn't skip school. I admit, I do not know the details of the kid's life and what could have played into causing him to recluse from his family and friends, but at the time I began Runescape I was still in depression over the death of my father 2 years before and I found Runescape as a way to escape from reality. However, I continued to keep obligations I had to keep care of the house and care for my pets how ever much I wanted to play. When school began again at the end of summer I still continued to do my homework and keep my grades above B's all year even though I would count the minutes until I could play Runescape. So, although Runescape can be incredibly addicting, I believe that with self control a person has the ability to not let an online game interfere with their life. Many may say that I have too high of standards of people and that I just got lucky and wasn't addicted, but I personally believe that the kid in the article is weak minded and should be smacked and banned from the internet by his incompitent parents.

Oh, and yet another instance of the media slandering video games for a problem when the real issue is the lack of common sense, intelligence, self control, or parental responsibilty held by the person who has had their life damaged.

*Avater self made*

Bannertime.png-Click here to read!

Hahaha stupidest thing I ever heard. The kid doesnt stop playing runescape so his sister moves out? I dont think so.

What a bunch of garbage spoken by people who grew up in a generation without video games and see them all as evil liquidizers of kids minds.

Depends on how it was affecting her though. She may have needed the computer for study or work and been unable to use it. If that was the case, I can understand, any thing else I'd say she used it as an excuse to move out.

how would that make a difference? unless the computer magically split in half as she left. She should have her own comp anyway at that age.

It would make a difference because... oh let's see... she wasn't able to study for school and complete assignments? As someone who at the same age, had to fight tooth and nail to get the computer off a Sim City addicted sibling, it is possible for school work to suffer when someone else in the house hold has a computer related addiction.

Should have her own computer at 16? There are many reasons why that simply isn't gonna happen.

Ananke32.png

i didn't get my own computer until i went to college and was physically unable to access the computer at my parent's house. why should someone expect to have thier own computer when they still live with thier parents?

anyone can pay for any college they want. most colleges give substantial academic or athletic scholarships, there are many federal grants if you really can't afford it, or there are college loans that have no intrest until you graduate. as far as i know they are available to any student, regardless of credit. so if you are motivated enough, you will find a way to pay for college.

i think am a bit addicted to rs - i play about 10-15 hours a day if am in but as soon as theres sumot better to do am off i dont understand why peopel would rarther play rs insted of go out wid m8s but anyway i dont think i could jst stop playing - id die (i can go like a week or so if am doing sumot lol) if my mum cut the internet id go mad lol so i can simpasise wid the poor kid (arrrgh crap am growing a feminin side -.- ) but cold turky is the only way to go in that situation - like aclocholics 1 drink and there ryt back down again - he neva should have been alwoud to play for so long in the first place - problems like that should neva evern happon in the first place let alone need solveing (ill stop ranting lol)

please, god, tell me that english is not your first language. -.-

simpleholyhandgrenade.gif

holygrail-1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

ok, seriously, the mother didnt find out until 3 weeks later when his school called her? how messed up is that? even if she does have a job, she should be aware of where he was, homework, didnt she talk to him?

the entire article is a load of bs...

UZp6G.png

32,606th to 99 magic || 15,388th to 99 dungeoneering || 12,647th to 99 farming

14,792nd to 99 range || 24,954th to 99 herblore

This is really off topic, but directed at the topic starter.

Way to tag, lure, and pj when you edge pk. Too bad your friend can't hit better than 0-0. :-w

lol =D>

These parents really need to get a grip. You dont just hope that your son will work things out for himself. You work them out for him (most of the time)

I engineered this thread with precise variables that I know would cause lul-worthy flames.

Ammo931.png

It would make a difference because... oh let's see... she wasn't able to study for school and complete assignments? As someone who at the same age, had to fight tooth and nail to get the computer off a Sim City addicted sibling, it is possible for school work to suffer when someone else in the house hold has a computer related addiction.

Should have her own computer at 16? There are many reasons why that simply isn't gonna happen.

what part of my statement did you not understand? how is moving out going to give her the ability to use that computer??