computer games stole my son

hockey0510

Ok I play rs ALOT, but when I have to go to school, I get off. When someone else wants the computer I get off. When I'd rather do something else, I do it. Don't his parents realize this is probably mostly their fault?? Control your kid...

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"His sister moved out because she couldn't cope with his bizarre addiction. "

Hahaha stupidest thing I ever heard. The kid doesnt stop playing runescape so his sister moves out? I dont think so.

"a succession of psychologists and counsellors have not yet made any progress with him"

They've not made any progress with him to cure him of a video game? Give me a break.

"He said the past year had been horrific. His son had been transformed from a typically bright, sports-mad teenager to being reclusive and aggressive."

The past year? I thought this was a 3 week incident. You only noticed the kid was reclusive and aggresive when this happens but the entire past year has been horrific? Hows that? How about getting rid of your internet and your computer and spending time with your child?

"He was an outdoor kid. Every sport you could name, he was playing. Now he's white, doesn't go outside. He was very bright, he was going to be a forensic scientist"

WAS? WAS? he was intelligent before but now he's not? Now he's a moron who forgot everything he ever learned because he played a video game? Holy crap who comes up with this stuff?

What a bunch of garbage spoken by people who grew up in a generation without video games and see them all as evil liquidizers of kids minds.

"His sister moved out because she couldn't cope with his bizarre addiction. "

Hahaha stupidest thing I ever heard. The kid doesnt stop playing runescape so his sister moves out? I dont think so.

What a bunch of garbage spoken by people who grew up in a generation without video games and see them all as evil liquidizers of kids minds.

Depends on how it was affecting her though. She may have needed the computer for study or work and been unable to use it. If that was the case, I can understand, any thing else I'd say she used it as an excuse to move out.

Internet - Check

Computer - Check

Hot coffee - Check

5 cups on my desk with coffee grains in the bottom - Check

Ciggerets - Check

6 empty ciggeret packets in my desk drawer - Check

Bottle of coke + coke in a cup - Check

4 empty coke bottles on the floor - Check

Energy drink - Check

2 empty energy drink bottles on the floor - Check

A dark room - Check

1:53am - Check

*CHECKS slayer exp* Wewt only 30k till 90 slayer!!!!!

Sorry got a bit off topic there, what sort of an idiot gets addicted to runescape?

HEY! Who are you and why are you taking over my life?? :thumbsup:

Ananke32.png

Internet - Check

Computer - Check

Hot coffee - Check

5 cups on my desk with coffee grains in the bottom - Check

Ciggerets - Check

6 empty ciggeret packets in my desk drawer - Check

Bottle of coke + coke in a cup - Check

4 empty coke bottles on the floor - Check

Energy drink - Check

2 empty energy drink bottles on the floor - Check

A dark room - Check

1:53am - Check

*CHECKS slayer exp* Wewt only 30k till 90 slayer!!!!!

Sorry got a bit off topic there, what sort of an idiot gets addicted to runescape?

what sort of idiot thinks that only idiots get addicted to runescape? but that article is a load of bs. the parents not only fail at parenting, but then they publish it in the newspaper? gimmie a break. there are plenty of ways to restict your kid from anything, wether it be parental controls, to grounding, to just plain old spankings.

little off topic here but, i could never play cw for 16 hours, there's too many people in there now that either don't think at all of strategy, or destroy your team's barricades because they think it gets them xp, or people who are double agents, messing up your team for no reason just so the oter team wins.

rare%20ghoul2.gif

rare%20ghoul2.gif

These parents obviously don't give a good god damn. "He becomes agressive and we want him to stop". Well then lock up the computer room or ground him i mean do whatever you can! Runescape for me is not an addiction though i do play atleast 2 hours a day. I remember i quit runescape for about 3 months and i forgot all about the game. I like the game but i'm not addicted. If the parents really want to stop this they have to put their foot down. I can also tell the son's a real nerd i mean who plays runescape for 16 hours a day for god's sake. What a [bleep].

Oh my, the kid skipped two weeks of school without the parents knowing? :shock: No wonder the kid is that obsessed with RuneScape. The only way your kid can skip school for two weeks straight without your knowledge is if you don't pay nearly enough attention to him.

I'd say the blame here is like 65% the parent, 30% the kid, and mabye 5% the addictive qualities of the game. The parent for not paying enough attention to him, and for not asserting her authority in the matter. The kid because you have to have like ZERO willpower to let a GAME completely take over your life. Only a tiny fraction to the game, because addictive qualities in a game can be a small contributing factor, but not that big of one; there are people that get addicted to games that most people would consider complete rubbish.

Oh my, the kid skipped two weeks of school without the parents knowing? :shock: No wonder the kid is that obsessed with RuneScape. The only way your kid can skip school for two weeks straight without your knowledge is if you don't pay nearly enough attention to him.

I'd say the blame here is like 65% the parent, 30% the kid, and mabye 5% the addictive qualities of the game. The parent for not paying enough attention to him, and for not asserting her authority in the matter. The kid because you have to have like ZERO willpower to let a GAME completely take over your life. Only a tiny fraction to the game, because addictive qualities in a game can be a small contributing factor, but not that big of one; there are people that get addicted to games that most people would consider complete rubbish.

=o you've never had an addiction have you?

If I were a father and Knew my son played this game.. I'd let him play his heart out drop in his grades and then. THEN! I would show him the results I'd show him how much weight he's gained all the stamina gone from him how exhausted he is.. all of that, then I would hope that he would get boredof the game and stop :)

I hope you never have kids.

lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

61od7vn.png

nickymissy.png

• 2 weeks later...

I can relate... I no longer get highs from playing Runescape, So now I have to inject Runescape :(

But seriously, RS isn't a drug... If his (sad) parents are concerned enough to get a newspaper article published about what's going on, yet passive enough to only sit around and woe about how he's pissing his life away, the son isn't the only one who needs help.

And remember, the media is only interested in what sells.

Mithdragonsig5.jpg

the article is interviewing a father who is comparing his sons computer game addiction to heroin, saying how the son was doing well at school and was wanting to become a forensic scientist, to not going to school for 2 months and spent his time alone in a dark room playing runescape for upto 16 hours a day

I almost died of laughter when I read that. It's not the games fault that the kid's a [bleep] who's scared to come out of his room. It's the parents, and more importantly, the kid's fault.

Good going parents and kid =D>

signatureif9.jpg

People say it's the parents fault, hell I know some 15 year olds who would stab their parents if they stopped them doing drugs, don't see why this would be different.

Also, people blam the kid? Hell I bet half the people who do play over 6 hours a day themselves. He doesn't choose to be addicted...An addiction is something you really have no control over, it's alot harder to actually stop than just saying it over the internet.

Yay i so gud i gts 23 farming

well that was happeaning to me just on a smaller basis a year or so again but now i'm bored with rs so i gave up (look at my username), but i still go on to check out updates and stuff. And now i'm getting less addicted to computers and stuff.

The link didnt work for me so i searched for it, heres a new link

Click here for the Article

Ok take a look at this way, the Runescape community is over 5 million strong, a small city, there are some wack jobs in the place, i mean maybe the kid has ADHD or is just a spoiled brat or just a plain addictiver personality, dont blame the game for this

Personally i feel somebody should pick over his parents, kids do not just suddenly drop out of school for 3 weeks or get violent with their parents if they shut off the computer, if i did that my parents would hit me so hard i would prolly need a splint, a neckbrace and a wheelchair, the kid needs proper discipline and good smack

Its just like the situation with the guy a couple years ago that was playing "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City" and then shot up a cop station, they guy couldnt tell reality from fiction, he needed to be locked up, i wouldnt have trusted him with "donkey kong" cause he would prolly be throwing barrels off the roof then,

I mean really in a city of 5 million people up to 35% of them could have addictive personalities and problems, Runescape to date i have heard has less than 50 kids with that problem (what i heard dont know the facts), this is perfectly normal stuff,

i mean people complained about rock music back when and now look at it, not a single thing is slandered around about it and oh looky they are millions of fans all around the world, :ohnoes: OMG ARE PEOPLE JUST OVER REACTING, I THINK SO YOU IRRESPONSIBLE PARENTS

A FIREY GRAVE TO ALL RUNESCAPE HATERS :ohnoes:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

cool_sig1.jpg

Runescape is not addictive in the way drugs are addictive; the kid's just making excuses.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

If he gets aggressive the dad should just do what my dad did to me the first time I went toe-to-toe with my pops.

Put him through a wall and tell him to walk it off.

Yeah... Never gonna do that again #-o

EDIT: For all of you who think my dad is abusive, he's not. Just incredibly strong and NOT afraid to put someone in their place.

Mudkipz.jpg

Mmm... Mudkipz...

The parent(s) should have stepped in and taken serious action. SKIPPING SCHOOL FOR 2MONTHS AND PLAYING 16HOURS A DAY!? What is that nonsense? If I was his father I wouldn't of let him skip a day of school and 16hours of computer time is way too much.

If the parents really loved this child they would have intervened, goodness.

I would have never did or do that because my parents wouldn't even allow a day of it which I don't blame them. And don't blame Runescape its a game thats played responsible by many people.

Kaisershami.png

Kaisershami.png

meorkunderscore-1.jpg

hehe i live in western australia aswell and that article is the reason that my mum forcing me to quit

gofsiggycr2.png

DK Drops (duo) - 4 - 1x D Axe 1x Berserker, 2x Warrior. Drag Drops - 1 - 1x Skirt.

Barrows Drops - 14 - 1x G spear, 3x K skirt , 2x k x-bow, 1x k top, 2x v flail, 1x v brassard, 1x dh body, 1x dh legs and 2x dh helm.

Proud owner of a fighter torso

its a bit pathetic really. Moving OUT because your brother is addicted to video games?

THis family has something wrong with them if you ask me.

How about. Instead of telling a newspaper to get money, You take the little craps computer away, and stop letting him get away with what he wants.

pking was crap anyway

I hope the parents realize that this addiction is just as much their fault as the kids. After all, do you feed your fat child candy 24/7?

If your son was as smart as you said, he would have listened to you in the begining when he first started skipping school. But YOU let him get this bad.

And like Blackarch2 said, if your boy starts to get violent, you get violent right back at him ( do NOT beat him, just give him a firm shove into the wall or something like that ) because no matter how much I hate to say this...teenage boys respect violence. Then, maybe, he will realize he is not the man of the house and that he still has to listen to you. Then the next time ( or first time ) you tell him to get off the computer and get a social life, he may listen to you.

The time has come and gone for you to be one of those "good" parents who sits by and lets their kid do whatever they want. You have to take resposability. After all, untill he is 18, you are still his legal caregivers.

Sixteen hours for two to three months?! That kid must have ownage stats. :lol:

All jokes aside, I think the parents must be extremely stupid not to realise how much he must have been playing. You can tell if people have been on a computer for too long, and if they did now but didn't intervene then that makes them even worse parents. :?

"The Year 11 Ballajura Community College student has not attended classes for two months. The boy's parents discovered the addiction only when his school contacted them because he had been absent for three weeks." from sunday times. what happened the other 5 weeks,

and i still want to know was he some color before? it said he bacame white. also it said he would not go in the house 14-15 months before was he homeless those two months?

i have to many questions

yewbotssmallqu7.png

Link to the article on the first page is broken. Here is the correct one:

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0 ... public_rss

All I have to say is that those parents are living in la-la land. If your son was addicted to heroin, you wouldn't put an ounce of smack on the counter and walk away, would you? Well they shouldn't have a computer in the house if their kid is addicted, either. Same difference. Stories like this infuriate me. Parents who fail love to blame everyone but themselves. Sure, maybe they didn't know at first, but what did they do when they found out? Took the kid to a psychologist. Maybe getting rid of the computer would have been a good idea???? Sheesh.

Remember, the SEARCH button is your friend. Use it!