computer games stole my son

hockey0510

When my uncle was a kid, all he did was watch TV. Every spare moment. It took over his life. You know what my grandfather did? He hit the TV with a hammer. Those parents should maybe do the same.
thats a damn good idea or rent al-qauda to blow the computer up ... at any ontopic!

2nv5bvl.png
99 Firemaking 30-5-2010 | 99 Fletching 13-7-2014
TET-AU member:6-10-2010 - 21-10-2011

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play runescape a lot, I play many many hours a day, but I still have plenty of good friends, I am not on any sports team but I play outside with my brothers a lot, I go swimming about 4 days a week during the summer and I am a straight A student. Runescape is not a problem for me. I think the reason that it is for this kid is because he is an only child (atleast at his home), he probably has no friends either. You need friends and a good family so that you actually want to do other stuff besides just runescape 16/7.

Brainymidget.png

multimultiza9.gif

Maybe these parents should trying taking the things you can do in RuneScape outside, like take the kid out camping. Hey, I'm 23 and I don't know how to fish, chop wood with an axe, start a campfire without lighter fluid, and a whole lot of other "outdoorsy" stuff, probably because when I was young, my parents were new immigrants and were too busy working instead of involving me with these fun, outdoor activities.

Some of the things I've tried on my own are trying to make a chain mail glove using a spool of copper wire and a pair of pliers. After about a week at it and constantly consulting online references, I had to put that aside because I didn't have the requisite skills/tools to properly continue. Plus, my fingers were getting raw from working with copper wire. <.<

The very first thing they should do is stop paying for the kid's membership. This will at least limit the amount of things he can do in-game and hopefully with the horrible F2P playing conditions will make him start to think about other things that are more entertaining to occupy his time.

(hm, maybe I should clean out the spare room in the basement and start setting up my electronics lab)

celestrana.png

celestrana.png

Knowledge is Power; a Tip.it guide answers many commonly asked questions.

~Celestrana: Making of a Hero ~ (Visit my blog, today!)

Kid needs to get back to his own life, forget about Runescape, he had a pretty good life going, and the moron ruined it for Runescape..

His parents need to grow some balls and step up to the plate when it comes to parenting. As many have said, it is up to them to intervene, if the kid cannot realize how stupid, overweight and of an outcast he is becoming, it is only up to the parents.

Just like Celestrana said, cut off his membership. OR at least get him a job so he can earn the money, which would not only help him get outside, but limit his time on the computer significantly.

Maybe these parents should trying taking the things you can do in RuneScape outside, like take the kid out camping. Hey, I'm 23 and I don't know how to fish, chop wood with an axe, start a campfire without lighter fluid, and a whole lot of other "outdoorsy" stuff, probably because when I was young, my parents were new immigrants and were too busy working instead of involving me with these fun, outdoor activities.

Some of the things I've tried on my own are trying to make a chain mail glove using a spool of copper wire and a pair of pliers. After about a week at it and constantly consulting online references, I had to put that aside because I didn't have the requisite skills/tools to properly continue. Plus, my fingers were getting raw from working with copper wire. <.<

My parents never did any of that stuff with me either, but I was spawned by an alcoholic & a workaholic. And mad props for the attempt to make your own chain mail!

Ananke32.png

wow i can't believe some1 is that addicted :shame:

(840th To 99 Farm. Achieved on February 13th, 2008.) (2942th To 99 Crafting. Achieved on September 9th, 2008.)

(23671th To 99 Magic. Achieved on January 17th, 2009.) (46913th to 99 Hit Points. Achieved on March 20th, 2009.)

(30680th to 99 Range. Achieved on March 21st, 2009.) (66351th to 99 Attack. Achieved on July 8th, 2009.)

(2856th to 99 Herblore. Achieved on August 21st, 2009.) (45985th to 99 Woodcutting. Achieved on November 15th, 2009.)

(6119th to 99 Smithing. Achieved on December 24th, 2009.) (98100th to 99 Cooking. Achieved on January 1st, 2010.)

(63214th to 99 Defence. Achieved on January 30th, 2010.) (122697th to 99 Strength. Achieved on February 11th, 2010.)

(15249th to 99 Prayer. Achieved on March 21st, 2010.) (34209th to 99 Fishing. Achieved on July 7th, 2010.)

(9259th to 99 Summoning. Achieved on July 29th, 2010.) (51712th to 99 Firemaking. Achieved on September 6th, 2010.)

(109036th to 99 Fletching. Achieved on September 28th, 2010.) (15821th to 99 Slayer. Achieved on February 3rd, 2011.)

(11652th to 99 Construction. Achieved on June 18th, 2011.)

am i the only one that wonders the kids stats?

...Yeah... You don't go around and asking where a drug addict's needle [puncture]points are, do you?

In his feet, because his mom checks his arms.

What?

My greatest ambition is to kill every member of the human race.

crackersapparentlyiu8.png

However I am a realist and therefore know that I probably wont be able to.

idiotacyoa5.png

Let's let him have the basement

Let's blame the computer

Let's blame the media

Let's blame runescape

Let's not take away the computer

Let's make money and lulz at the situation

It'll be cool

. And mad props for the attempt to make your own chain mail!

Chainmail is a pain in the rear to make. I've tried. Took hours. For a glove.

On Topic: In situations like this, it's my firm belief that the parent is at fault. Video games, especially violent and/or MMORPG games, are usually a scapegoat used by parents (And consequentially whoever reports the story IE: The media) so they can hide their own faults, or their child's underlying issues.

blackmbnaval,Mc%20Comix%20Yo.gif

Mc%20Comix%20Yo.gif

My mum read this article in the Sunday Times, and decided to give me a lecture about it...

'Did you read page 4 of the paper today?'

'Nope'

'There was an article about how addicting that game, Runescape is. I hope your not wagging school to play a stupid video game.'

'I stopped playing that game 7 months ago...'

'Oh, good.'

:wall:

decided i will post again to see how many pages this slipped after me typing it up, well done guys my hat size is now 3 times bigger due to my inflated ego :P

one thing i saw in someones post was about community colleges, over here (western australia) the government just renamed a few of the dodgier high schools (ages 13-17) or high schools in dodgy areas community colleges

discussing this with my girlfriend, we both are leaning towards that the article could be just that the father is making up or exagerating aspects of his sons "addiction" in order to gain custody/more visitation of the children or he is rather upset by the way the divorce went

i feel this is also strengthed by nothing is mentioned by the son or mother of their experiences with this and the fact that he went on 6pr which is a talkback radio station here that you can go on and say more or less anything as long as it is contriversial and and can further the stations ratings (much like the sunday times which like i said in my first post is essentialy a gossip magazine, devoid of virtually any actual news content)

i feel the chain of his actions went call 6pr --> get called by the sunday times --> get article printed that could be used against his ex-wife

anyways, that is just my thoughts (and my girlfriends:P)

I WANNA SEE HIS STATS

16 hours a day he must be a skiller c'mon anyway bad parents :shame:

maybe he just cw 16 hours... i know people who do that...

I hope the father's last name isn't Sters >_>

thats maybe the reason why the father cant cut the cable and throw/whack the computer out...

I would have to say...

1. His parents didn't give him any attention when he was younger.

2. He is very unstable.-In the head- :-s

3. He just really, really likes RuneScape.

blackmbnaval,b4ck%20st4bb3r.gif

Currently Skilling...Hey im getting there.

maybe he just cw 16 hours... i know people who do that...

JAHOBA! random

i couldn't do that at all. i get bored of runescape if i play more than 3hrs straight. O_o

Popoto.~<3

Internet - Check

Computer - Check

Hot coffee - Check

5 cups on my desk with coffee grains in the bottom - Check

Ciggerets - Check

6 empty ciggeret packets in my desk drawer - Check

Bottle of coke + coke in a cup - Check

4 empty coke bottles on the floor - Check

Energy drink - Check

2 empty energy drink bottles on the floor - Check

A dark room - Check

1:53am - Check

*CHECKS slayer exp* Wewt only 30k till 90 slayer!!!!!

Sorry got a bit off topic there, what sort of an idiot gets addicted to runescape?

Wow, these parents not only failed but decided to publish it in a newspaper?

I mean, how hard is it to say no? He's your son, not an all-mighty powerful god. If he won't listen, unplug the computer, and if that's too much, USE THE PARENTAL CONTROLS! They're not that hard to get, many ISPs provide them, Linksys routers have them, and Windows Vista has them built-in!

tipitsig.png

I recently had to look after my younger cousin. He was ill and off school, both parents work and I just finished my A-Level exams so I'm around and offered to be helpful to family.

He saw me playing about a year ago and I gave him a very old account with around level 20-30 stats to help him get started. His parents DO NOT let him play at all so he rarely plays but would probably play all day if he could. Now, I'm 18 and rarely had to babysit or anything but I know from my experiences with online games (RS and SOCOM mostly) that they draw you in, so through my own choice I told him that he had 1 hour play, a 15/20 minute break and another hour. He, obviously, tried to argue but a simple no and shutting down the computer put a stop to that.

Not being a parent but a responsible older cousin wasn't hard, even if it is the beginning of his gaming life.

wildxyak.png

99: Agility 28/12/14|Thieving 20/03/15