Monday Poll: Monster links in Dungeon maps

MPM

We're trying to make our site more user friendly, so if you havn't allready, vote in this week's poll on the main site regarding how to link to the monsters within a dungeon.

After that, feel free to discuss the resultshere as well.

EDIT: If you go to the main site, in the news post, you can find 3 examples for each type.

~M

It would be quite useful to be able to have both, this way everybody's happy! :D

EDIT: First post~ \:D/

POG3.jpg

Pretty much what Dragon said.

Thread terminated.

I guess that means I'm the thread Terminator?

No Tip.Iters were harmed in the making of this post.

The best way would be keep the maps with the coloured dots representing the monsters and those dots linking to the monsters page. But like has been said it could prove difficult.

An 'easier' way would be to have the monsters listed underneath the map, as an example:

|||---Here be map---|||

Brutal Green Dragon - Level 227

Mithril Dragon - Level 304

Then obviously each name having the corresponding link.

wildxyak.png

99: Agility 28/12/14|Thieving 20/03/15

I think putting the monsters below would be easier for the tip.it staff, and if the maps were clickable, I'm guessing it would have to be broken into different images, so the maps will load piecemeal.

Second post!

I like it where you click on the map and it loads up a new page.

i chose both but like mchainmail said list would b easier and i only really like the the click on map because of like Pivotto said it opens a new window and you can look at the map and bestiary at the same time without going back and fourth.

quest cape achived july 31 2007

all lvls 60+ 9-23-07

1700+ total

lotrking1010.png

lotrking1010.png

Either way is fine with me. I do like the list at the bottom of the map better than the clickable map. I don't care for the clickable maps as my computer thinks its a pop up and tries to block them, causing horrendous lag.

Still a pretty neat idea though, thanks for always comming up with new ideas to make our home easier to use :)

Please forgive any spelling or grammar mistakes, and I will forgive yours :)

I vote the list, its a lot easier!(since to use the map you gotta remember which dot is which color) also, you can see the names of all the monsters without having to look for them on the map =P

Will get a new Siggy, if I get around to it[/size]

I'd vote for list but a better way to do it would be either click on the name of the monster on the map, or you put in miniature pictures of the monsters and make these picture hyperlinks to the bestiary pages. Would require more work but would be easier to navigate between the pages. Anyways, good job on making the site easier to use! :thumbsup:

99/99 Cooking. 1500+ total level. 96+ Combat

lawlkv8.png

I would prefer the links on the bottom.

To the above comments about how it would be difficult to do the dots in the middle as links...

It's only slightly more difficult, because you can just use a image map to create the locations that are clickable and where they go.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

I think putting the monsters below would be easier for the tip.it staff, and if the maps were clickable, I'm guessing it would have to be broken into different images, so the maps will load piecemeal.

Not at all. Using coordinate hyperlinking and by turning the image into a map, we can provide the hyperlinks insde the image without affecting its file size too much.

If you put the links on the map it's self, you need to make the clickable spot bigger. It took awhile for me to figure out you need to put your mouse above and to the left of the dot to click on it. And to make it easier to make, and easier to click, you should make it so you have to click on the name of the monster on the map, instead of the dot of where the monster is.

If you put the links on the map it's self, you need to make the clickable spot bigger. It took awhile for me to figure out you need to put your mouse above and to the left of the dot to click on it. And to make it easier to make, and easier to click, you should make it so you have to click on the name of the monster on the map, instead of the dot of where the monster is.

I have in fact noticed this. I actually coded the whole script for all three of those maps (for the links inside the image, not the list - someone else did that), and I checked them before I sent them off to be be uploaded onto the site, and they worked fine and were in their correct postions. I've talked to a few of my friends with different browsers, and they're saying the hyperlink works fine and the hyperlink is actually dead on the circle. You're saying it's to the left, my one has it slightly above the dot.

I can only presume that the differentiation occurs when different browsers are used. I am working on correcting this and making sure the code is XHTML compliant so the hyperlinks are in their correct position. Failing that, I'll seek further guidance on why it's behaving like a stubborn child.

Until then, you'll just have to bare with us. I wouldn't have submitted this unless I was 100% certain this error wouldn't have occured. Clearly, I was wrong, but I had that confidence.

Not true, its all one image, it'll take a little longer to load, but I don't think it'll be noticeable.

--------------------

I think both should be implemented, everyone's happy that way.

Both Ideas are practically the same, but 2nd one is more interactive for first one, I think both should be putted (Links on the dots and the list at the final of the dungeon)

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

Being able to click on the map and have it load the bestiary is best, though I suggest a little tweaking to make sure that the link is centered on the dot denoting the monster.

perfect grammar is one thing, typing like a drugged monkey and enjoying it is another

AMEN!

For those of you who are talking about the list loading in the same page, you can blame that on me and my lack of HTML knowledge. I used a simple "a href" tag, which is designed to change the current page. If I could figure out how to make it a pop-up, then I could easily fix it to pop-ups, so keep that in mind: The current links do not have to stay as it, and can be modified...

f475e02ecc.png

don't worry, you are going to "hell" anyway. wanna race to see who gets there first?

Officially reached 100 Combat at 1:33PM EST, June 14, 2007

First Dragon Drop: Dragon Chain (Dust Devils) @ 10:48PM EST, July 14, 2008, lv113 combat

I have in fact noticed this. I actually coded the whole script for all three of those maps (for the links inside the image, not the list - someone else did that), and I checked them before I sent them off to be be uploaded onto the site, and they worked fine and were in their correct postions. I've talked to a few of my friends with different browsers, and they're saying the hyperlink works fine and the hyperlink is actually dead on the circle. You're saying it's to the left, my one has it slightly above the dot.

I can only presume that the differentiation occurs when different browsers are used. I am working on correcting this and making sure the code is XHTML compliant so the hyperlinks are in their correct position. Failing that, I'll seek further guidance on why it's behaving like a stubborn child.

Until then, you'll just have to bare with us. I wouldn't have submitted this unless I was 100% certain this error wouldn't have occured. Clearly, I was wrong, but I had that confidence.

Well I am using a Safari, on a Mac, so I wouldn't be surprised if that is what messed it up. And The links for me are actually just above them. And by just above them, I mean the second my mouse leaves the dot, the link is there. But it really isn't a problem. It doesn't affect me, and the only person it might affect is someone who doesn't know the links are there. And there are so few people that use Safari, that I'm sure it wont make a difference. And if we have links below, as well as on the map, it lessens the problem even further.

both, since that makes everybody happy, and if u can't find the monster on the list, u can click it on at the map, if u can't find the dots, u click it in the list.

all possible bugs can be prevented by using both methods since players can simply bypass the list or the map =D>