Rule 15: Odd One Out?

devast8u

[hide=Rule 15]

You must not deliberately block or hide the adverts which appear above the free version of our game.

If you have advert blocking software please prevent it from blocking adverts on our website. The adverts above the free game are what enable us to keep it free, after all!

Related Questions

Below are some related questions which may help you to further understand and follow this rule.

Why do we have this rule?

The adverts above the free-to-play version of RuneScape are what enable us to keep the free game running! The sponsors who show their adverts there are the ones paying for you to enjoy a free game in the first place, so please don't block them.

What if I find an advert to be offensive?

If you believe there is an offensive advert, please click on the Question-Mark "Icon" shown to the bottom right of the advert. This will pop up a window with instructions on how to report that advert.

Once we have this report, we can then look into the advert that is offending you, the last thing we want is for any of the advertising that we are supplied with to offend to our players.

What if adverts slow my PC down?

Certain animated adverts may cause your PC to slow down while they are displayed. This is because your computer is busy running the advert animation which gives it less time to run the game.

Most adverts don't cause any noticeable effect, but some with particularly complex animations may cause slowdown. To limit the effect that this has on your system, right click on the advert and under the quality heading, select low.

If there is an advert which is causing particularly bad slow down, even when you set it to low quality, then please report it to us. Click on the Question-Mark "Icon" shown to the bottom right of the advert. This will pop up a window with instructions on how to report that advert.

To keep RuneScape enjoyable for everyone please observe and follow this rule. We will not tolerate disruptive players, and if you break our rules your account is likely to be banned. Members who are banned for breaking our rules are not entitled to any sort of refund.

[/hide]

My question concerns the italicized/bolded part of Rule 15. Can this rule even be enforced? Can Jagex/ad companies detect when players are blocking or hiding their ads?

Assuming that Jagex can detect players who block ads, do they carry the same penalties as breaking other rules? Will players get banned for simply blocking an ad, like the rule states?

devast8u.png

devast8u.png

There are 10 kinds of people: Those who can read Binary code and those who can't.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well most likely they can. Because you're most likely using some kind of third party software to block the adverts. But, why would they have the rule if they couldn't detect it? The only reason I could think they'd say it is to scare people into not blocking the advertisments.

Wolfy is Officially Retired.

I miss you all (Well, mostly my friends n stuff)

If you want to talk to me, send me a message, I check the boards daily. :D

[hide=Rule 15]

You must not deliberately block or hide the adverts which appear above the free version of our game.

If you have advert blocking software please prevent it from blocking adverts on our website. The adverts above the free game are what enable us to keep it free, after all!

Related Questions

Below are some related questions which may help you to further understand and follow this rule.

Why do we have this rule?

The adverts above the free-to-play version of RuneScape are what enable us to keep the free game running! The sponsors who show their adverts there are the ones paying for you to enjoy a free game in the first place, so please don't block them.

What if I find an advert to be offensive?

If you believe there is an offensive advert, please click on the Question-Mark "Icon" shown to the bottom right of the advert. This will pop up a window with instructions on how to report that advert.

Once we have this report, we can then look into the advert that is offending you, the last thing we want is for any of the advertising that we are supplied with to offend to our players.

What if adverts slow my PC down?

Certain animated adverts may cause your PC to slow down while they are displayed. This is because your computer is busy running the advert animation which gives it less time to run the game.

Most adverts don't cause any noticeable effect, but some with particularly complex animations may cause slowdown. To limit the effect that this has on your system, right click on the advert and under the quality heading, select low.

If there is an advert which is causing particularly bad slow down, even when you set it to low quality, then please report it to us. Click on the Question-Mark "Icon" shown to the bottom right of the advert. This will pop up a window with instructions on how to report that advert.

To keep RuneScape enjoyable for everyone please observe and follow this rule. We will not tolerate disruptive players, and if you break our rules your account is likely to be banned. Members who are banned for breaking our rules are not entitled to any sort of refund.

[/hide]

My question concerns the italicized/bolded part of Rule 15. Can this rule even be enforced? Can Jagex/ad companies detect when players are blocking or hiding their ads?

Assuming that Jagex can detect players who block ads, do they carry the same penalties as breaking other rules? Will players get banned for simply blocking an ad, like the rule states?

Well jagex get payed for having the adds there. (i think)

Soo if they block the adds, no more f2p?

Thats my guess atleast.

Well, I run Mozilla Firefox and I constantly use two extensions: Adblock and NoScript. I have probably broken this rule at least once in my RS career, and I have no blackmarks/bans to show for it. Which leads me to think that this rule can't really be enforced.

devast8u.png

devast8u.png

There are 10 kinds of people: Those who can read Binary code and those who can't.

It's not an enforcable rule anyway. Here's why:

They can detect if the ad actually gets loaded, but once the code reaches the browser, Adblock or other extensions can easily "hide" it so it's not displayed. Also, you can use greasemonkey to make it look like the ad is still there, by removing the javascript detection mechanisms (if they have any)

It's fairly easy to overcome adds, and webpages, because the content at SOME POINT has to come in control of the web browser that the user chooses.

But since MOST people don't block the ads, the companies still feel like they are getting money's worth and will still pay for the ads :D

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

no more f2p = no more little kids! Everybody block the adds!

**I am not saying f2p are little kids. I'm saying that most little kids aren't willing to pay for a game they dont check out first, because 5$ is a lot for them.

**I am not saying f2p are little kids. I'm saying that most little kids aren't willing to pay for a game they dont check out first, because 5$ is a lot for them.

:o :o Are you not being "politically correct" as far as pointing out that yes, a lot of f2pers are little kids.

Cut out the infestation of little kids at the source and we'll have a better community. Get rid of f2p and this would do the job, its drastic and i don't expect it to happen, but if rs was a select a use ran business its what would happen ;)

Well, I run Mozilla Firefox and I constantly use two extensions: Adblock and NoScript. I have probably broken this rule at least once in my RS career, and I have no blackmarks/bans to show for it. Which leads me to think that this rule can't really be enforced.

+1

i use adblock plus and it's always filtered out the ad's on runescape. To be honest, there's no way in hell i'm turning my filter off and leaving myself open to annoying ads, pop-ups and the like just to conform to this rule.

red-mask-sig.gif?t=1238621802

MSSW4Banner.gif

But if Jackpot89 is right, then blocking the ads wouldn't do a single thing. Assuming he's right, ad companies will continue to pay Jagex for hosting their ads (and thus funding f2p servers) without ever realizing that players were blocking them. Me thinks that Jagex had to add this rule to appease ad companies.

devast8u.png

devast8u.png

1. Yes.

I don't really get it...you asked a question when the answer was right there in front of you, and you even italicized it. I'm confused on what yo u're asking... :?

They post that at the end of every Rule. Notice the part saying how Jagex doesn't tolerate "disruptive players". Since when is Ad Blocking disruptive to the game? And obviously, breaking rule 15 isn't as severe as breaking the other 14 rules, now is it? Yes, I can put two and two together, I know what it says; I am simply questioning its validity.

devast8u.png

devast8u.png

I doubt Jagex enforces that rule, they have bigger things to worry about (like the autoers and bots, I hate those stupid things :evil: ).

:twisted: Bots must die!! :twisted:

Pasty.png

I never see advertisements, whether it be in SS or Mozilla, I just don't. Maybe it's because I'm just about always on Members and it's used to that way?

You must see adverts - you just con't take notice of them. Even members see adverts - there is one on Jagex homepage, one of high/low detail chouce screen and one on world select screen

I never see advertisements, whether it be in SS or Mozilla, I just don't. Maybe it's because I'm just about always on Members and it's used to that way?

You must see adverts - you just con't take notice of them. Even members see adverts - there is one on Jagex homepage, one of high/low detail chouce screen and one on world select screen

There are also an advertisment on each if not all of the update pages. I personally don't see the advert's on any of the pages. I just see blank spots. Not even the "?". The only ad blocker that I have is IE's. :-k

Samus-Part-3-1.jpg

Need help or advise? Have a question? Just PM me through Runescape or Tip.it. :)

Actually, they can enforce this to some degree. The only rule that is impossible to enforce is the "account interaction" rule... It's impossible to prove that someone is transfering items between two of their own accounts. Such is the reason you see so many level 35 pures with blue party hats/ranger sets and furies.

td2sig.jpg

I also use NoScript, I think it's the best ad/popup blocker that ever can be (Perfect, 100% blocking of popups and mass ad banners).

I'm not F2P, so i'm not blocking any ads while i'm playing. I'm sure that they have no way of telling whether you are seeing their ads or not, let alone enforce it.

Mithdragonsig5.jpg

Well most likely they can. Because you're most likely using some kind of third party software to block the adverts. But, why would they have the rule if they couldn't detect it? The only reason I could think they'd say it is to scare people into not blocking the advertisments.

Or you could use the right click option to do it.

When I was f2p, I would always just stop the ads from loading :uhh: because they made the game run really slow on my computer :anxious: . I doubt they noticed, but you can never bew sure. I no longer have to worry though because I have a new* computer <3: and I'm a member. :thumbsup:

*I get all the old computers from my grandparents' office and "upgrade" them with parts from other old computers and get them to work pretty good (my best one has a 2 ghz processor and 1 gb of RAM :D ). :thumbsup:

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are only 10 types of people

in this world: those who understand

binary and those who don't.

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

try: command not found

This rule is completely stupid, it's only there to make the advertisers happy. Jagex gets paid as much, if players look at it or not, unless they get paid per click. And they can't detect you are blocking the ads, lol. If you think they can, then you just have no idea how they proceed, their methods are so basic it's pathetic.

2480+ total

well i recently got FireFox, and an ad blocking program from making ads even appear. my friend downloaded it... and i dont see any of em :thumbsup: but i havent got anything about blocking them. i mean ya if i rapidly try to get into world 2 they will come up some times because its to fast to block them. and really, with a ton of other people using FireFox, than i would guess they should know :-w :-k but still, for the like 10m f2p players, i dought that all of them have it. and either way, they still get paid for letting them advertise on RS, weather or not we see them, they still pay.

yarlyyo3.gif

^^^Click for My Newgrounds Page!

Actually, they can enforce this to some degree. The only rule that is impossible to enforce is the "account interaction" rule... It's impossible to prove that someone is transfering items between two of their own accounts. Such is the reason you see so many level 35 pures with blue party hats/ranger sets and furies.
Yeah, I am so bloody sick of that. I ask a guy where the hell he got the money from, he waits a minute and says. Pking. Yeah, 'cause every level 30 carries furies and party hats in the wilderness. And if they say staking? Where did they get the money from first?

mithmsanta,driller75.gif

I doubt Jagex enforces that rule, they have bigger things to worry about (like the autoers and bots, I hate those stupid things :evil: ).

:twisted: Bots must die!! :twisted:

Autos ARE Bots.

the IQ level of runescapers and Tip.It forumers is constantly lowering.....

Cube_by_Abfc.gif

untihf5.jpg

69827172ou0.jpg

When you mentioned the Dragon Plates I had a sudden vision of a load of gangsters running around in fancy dress yealling "Grim Reaper in da hood!"