Are you a Happy Little Vegemite?

hiimben

Yes, we all know, well, we should all know the jingle that goes with this product. Vegemite, I'm not 100% sure of all the details and that. But it's a really strong tasting yeast extract that you spread no different than peanut butter, besides perhaps having a little less of it. It is also often debated whether or not it tastes any good, most of the people I talk to about it can't stand the stuff. But personally, I love it, Every morning for the past 3 weeks after returning from my round the world trip (Oh yes, nothing like craving vegemite on toast in the middle of Italy) I've had some on toast each morning.

Although I don't discuss it often, I was wondering, who else likes the stuff? Or yet, who has yet to try it? I'd be interested to find out the results :)

Now, a topic solely on Vegemite wouldn't be up for much discussion, so If you're one of the people who have yet to taste this bizarre product, or even if you haven't. Feel free to discuss food's associated with you're nationality, or even food's that you think taste great, despite many people disagreeing.

Sorry if this topic isn't up to standards, but hey, I tried :P

~HiiM~

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Veg...em...ite?

OK, maybe I have heard of it before, but I have no idea what it is.

I'm not 100% sure of all the details and that. But it's a really strong tasting yeast extract that you spread no different than peanut butter, besides perhaps having a little less of it :P

Vegemite (IPA: /'vedÃÆàâââ‰â¢ÃÆââ¬Â°ÃâêÃÆââ¬Â¹Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬â¢mÃÆââ¬Â°Ã¢ââ¬ÃÅÃÆââ¬Â°Ãâêt/) is a dark brown, savoury food paste made from yeast extract, used mainly as a spread on sandwiches and toast, as well as a filling of pastries like Cheesymite scroll, in Australia and New Zealand. It is similar to British Marmite, New Zealand Marmite and Swiss Cenovis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegemite

marmite_vegemite.jpg

I have to be in the mood for it. The best thing to do is to put your toast back under the grill for a few seconds once you've spread it with your marg'/butter and marmite (yes, the proper stuff) - it goes all crunchy and yummy. :P

suzironniesigwx2.jpg

The Poison Fairy

lol, I doubt it's illegal... then again... :lol:

siggyanimatoin5dtbp3.gif

There are 10 types of people: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Appreciate Bacteria! It's the only form of culture some people have.

The brain's right side controls the body's left, so only lefties are in their right mind.

School!

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration later stated that although it is technically illegal in the U.S. to add folate to food products other than bread or cereal, there were no plans to investigate whether Vegemite contains folate, to subject it to an import ban, or to have it withdrawn from U.S. supermarket shelves. The U.S. Customs and Border Protection also tried to dispel the rumour, stating on its website that "there is no known prohibition on the importation of Vegemite" and "there is no official policy within CBP targeting Vegemite for interception".[1] The story of the "ban" later took on the status of urban legend.[2] While Vegemite has never been abundant in the U.S., it can still be purchased at some stores that stock imported foods.[3]

From Wikipedia. I never heard it before this, but apparently it isn't banned. (According to wiki anyway).

Life is a joke. Yeah, I don't get it either.

Yum I love the stuff when I'm in the mood for it.

Cheese and vegemite is also good :D

Not many Americans like the stuff haha I remember my friend came to visit me from Los Angeles and I let him try some, can someone say vomit? :lol:

But then he discovered the Aussie meat pie with tomato sauce, he couldn't get enough of it!

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

What is this stuff? I know I've heard of it, but I was thinking along the lines of butter. I know I'm horribly wrong, but now you can all laugh at my ignorance.

Edit: Read the whole topic and am now a learned man. You can still laugh at my past ignoranace. =P

Cowards can't block Warriors.

Vegemite! It truly is something that you either love with a passion, or detest. Love it myself, ever tried it on dry weetbix? it's grand. Offtopic mildly, but one of the boarders in my house today broke the record for the most weetbix eaten for one breakfast.

Ready for it?

twenty-seven.

I no, crazy huh? that's a lot of fibre :lol:

Splatter-RM-stroke.png

"A disbelief in magic can force some poor souls into believing in authority and business"