It's been a bad month for dogs :(

Nom

My whole family are dog lovers. The thing is, things haven't been going well for our dogs recently.

First, my dog Wags. His chain clip thingy broke a few weeks ago, and he got off and ran around the neighborhood. We didn't think it was a big deal, since it's happened before, and he always comes back. But wags was on his way home when the neighbor spotted him. Being friendly and all, he tried to grab Wags and take him back. But Wags didn't like that, I have no idea why, he knows the guy, and he bit him. The neighbor had to go to the hospital and get stitches. Thankfully, he was nice about it and didn't press charges, so Wags was only quarantined for two weeks. But, it seems that Wags hurt his back getting away from the neighbor, and he's a bit messed up now. I don't know if he'll ever be the same :(

Now, my aunt has had this dog for years, as long as I've been alive, so he's pretty old. Well, she was just informed that the dog had cancer of the mouth. Poor dog, especially as he's been carrying around a football-sixed tumor for as long as I can remember.

Finally, and saddest of all, my uncle's dog. My uncle lives out in the country, and has a bit of land that he lets his dog run on. Well, just recently the dog was running and came across a little girl in the woods. The dog being naturally territorial and suspicious, he growled and barked at her a bit, but would never have hurt her. He's a really gentle dog really. Only thing is, he was on the girl's parents' prooperty, and the parents freaked and called the cops. Well, once the cops were involved, there was no escaping the law. My uncle had to either contain the dog, find him a new home, or put him down. He was unsucessful in containing him, as the dog likes to run, it's in his nature, and he couldn't find it a new home. He had to put it to sleep :cry: .

So, these past few weeks have been pretty bad for dogs in my family. Anyone have any dog stories? They don't have to be sad, but don't let that stop you from posting them.

p2gq.jpg

Yeah, I have a strange one. My grandparents has this certain Alsatian dog called Tito for nearly a decade. Pretty old and still small I thought. Then Tito got run over one day. I expected my family to be heartbroken, but they weren't. Coincidently, it was the day I learned "Tito" wasn't one dog, it was actually 4 dogs who all got killed one way or another and thus were consecutively replaced by another identical one. In a nutshell, the dog I thought was old were simply 4 young dogs.

Oh, we have a new Tito by the way. :|

Life is a joke. Yeah, I don't get it either.

Yeah, I have a strange one. My grandparents has this certain Alsatian dog called Tito for nearly a decade. Pretty old and still small I thought. Then Tito got run over one day. I expected my family to be heartbroken, but they weren't. Coincidently, it was the day I learned "Tito" wasn't one dog, it was actually 4 dogs who all got killed one way or another and thus were consecutively replaced by another identical one. In a nutshell, the dog I thought was old were simply 4 young dogs.

that happened in 'King of Queens' too...

But dogs have been unlucky in my neighborhood too...

First of all, a retired bomb sniffing dog who lived down the street from me suffered a massive stroke, and had to be put down. Sad, i never actually got to meet the dog. I always had my lab with me and they didn't get along.

Then around memorial day, my 15 year old plotthound got sick. She had thyroid cancer and less than a month left. On memorial day weekend, she fell down and couldn't get back up. the morning of memorial day she suffocated, her lungs too weak to pump, in my bed, in my arms. I still carry her collar around everywhere i go.

Then our neighbors border collie developed arthritis so painful medication didn't do anything. He was in too much pain so his owners were forced to put him down. (they just adopted an eight week old puppy yesterday though, they really needed it).

And finally, a beagle who lived down the street with me fell to his lymph cancer, and had to be put down. I never really knew the dog that well, i took it out when its neighbors were away now and then, it was a sweetheart.

Icantcmyeye.png

Icantcmyeye.png

My dad's akita died, he was a great dog too :[

I knew him for all my life, and he was one of the best friends I had...

The one day, when my grandmother was taking care of him, she found him on the ground, and when she patted his stomach, it was rock hard... I have absolutely no idea what he died from, but I was heartbroken...

My whole family are dog lovers. The thing is, things haven't been going well for our dogs recently.

First, my dog Wags. His chain clip thingy broke a few weeks ago, and he got off and ran around the neighborhood. We didn't think it was a big deal, since it's happened before, and he always comes back. But wags was on his way home when the neighbor spotted him. Being friendly and all, he tried to grab Wags and take him back. But Wags didn't like that, I have no idea why, he knows the guy, and he bit him. The neighbor had to go to the hospital and get stitches. Thankfully, he was nice about it and didn't press charges, so Wags was only quarantined for two weeks. But, it seems that Wags hurt his back getting away from the neighbor, and he's a bit messed up now. I don't know if he'll ever be the same :(

Sounds to me that its more likely your neighbor hit the dog when it bit him than accidentally hurt him <.<

yes.png

Sorry to hear about your dogs. I don't really have any stories like that, except my old dog (she died a few years ago now) was once jumped on by two other dogs when she was quite old and it kind of crippled her back. And the owner of the two dogs was effectively my sisters boss, and an arrogant thing, so we couldn't really do much about it. She never was quite the same, although she seemed happy enough.

She actually lived to 15, which is quite old for a labrador, before we had to put her to sleep.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Yeah not a good time for my pets recently

2 weeks ago, my childhood dog was put down because of cancer

Yesterday my parents woke up to find my cat unable to wake and in pain and stuff so hes in the vets for now so the vet can look after him and we've gotta decide if we wanna put him down or not.

EDIT: Just got told the doctors think it could be a brain tumour. They are going to pump him with steriods (it's been done at least 4 times before when he was near death and he came back better than before) and hes eating now.

sig5235ro7.jpg

This story kind scares me. "Oh, dammit! My car broke down. Oh well.. i'll just buy a new, identical one."

I love dogs. Our last family dog was put down (is that how it is called?) about two years ago at the age of 16. It was heartbreaking to see this unbelievable energic dog getting old and weak. He was the only one in the family i had the feeling i could relate to, because as a dog he just was natural, not like the rest of my family, who are always acting.

My mother pretty much spoilt the dog, so he never went by foot. Quite in the contrary actually. When i went to the forest with him, wich is a walk of about 2 minutes, where i would unleash him, i could barely manage to hold him. He had a neckband (or however this is called for dogs) that would tighten when he puts strain on the leash. He didn't even remotely care. When he was young, he used to wag his tail really violent. It hurt when he hit you. A couple of times he even hit some door frames so hard that he started to bleed and blood sprayed around from his tail. He didn't even seem to notice.

We got him from animal shelter when he was young (and i was young to back then). When we played he used to throw me to the ground and then bite in my nouse or in my ears or pull on my hair with his puppy teeth. That wasn't exactly pleasant, but it was the way he was. He wasn't a violent dog. Just completely unruley. He didn't like two wheeled vehicles, like bikes. Once a biker passed our ground, wich is on a hill, so you get pretty high tempo on a bike. I don't know why the door was open, but he ran after the poor man and bit him in his leg. Of course the whole house was in shock and when we invited the guy to a cup of coffee, before he went to hospital, our dog was licking his wound. Once i hold him on the leash, while my mother waspulling out the car, a motorcycle passed and i was pulled behind our dog with my knees rubbing on concrete. That burnt quite a bit.

Once he killed a chicken, when my mother was at her horse. He wore a muzzle. Somehow he manged to squeeze the poor chicken to death. Once at my grandmother somebody opened the door, our dog shot out heading for some little dog, took him and broke his neck. He seldom got into quarrels. Maybe it had something to do with the little dog being old and having cancer. Idk. He also ran a lot. I can remember once when we went for a long walk, he even spotted a deer and chased it of course. (Omg. This dog could have been put to an untimely death for soo many reasons. He wasn't though =). Afterwards he was so exhausted. He threw himself in the roadside ditch (i guess it was cooler down there) and looked like he would collapse. After 5 minutes he was fine of course.

Ah well.... reminiscence. I'll miss him.

Sounds to me that its more likely your neighbor hit the dog when it bit him than accidentally hurt him <.<

Actually, since my dog is quite small, we think the neighbor tried to pick him up and dropped him when he was bit. So it's not really his fault.

p2gq.jpg

I remember seeing my friends dog run away, it was kind of sad :(

My dog though, is a Southern Black Mouth Cur (I doubt many people have heard of it) and he is about 7 years old and is starting to get these odd spots or bumps on his side, I really want to know what it is and they really itch for him :-k

Tbfgraphx14

Happy to find I'm not the only one who eats glass.

That sucks :(

I remember having a puppy Rotweiler when I was younger, but my Dad wasn't the kindest to her, so one day my mother just gave the Rotweiler away to a family where the dog wouldn't have to live in fear. :(

Good for the Dog though, she didn't have maintain my Dad's abusive ways (Yelling at her needlessly etc). :o

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

This month(August) was a a bad one. I had two dogs, that lived with my Aunt cause I am allergic to dogs badly.

The oldest dog is 14 years old human years, she was starting to choke on food, and would vomit if she did. The vet told us that she had tumors through-out her entire body, some as large as a tennis ball. We put her down that same day. :cry:

Our other dog, who was 10 years old human years was bumping into walls, and was moaning all the time. We just knew the moaning and the sobs were from losing Bagel(the 14 year old dog), but we didn't know why she was bumping into the walls. The vet told us she was losing her memory slowly, and eventually would forget who anyone was and would become aggressive and violent. We put her down a few days later. :(

This month, this summer actually seems so pitiful for dogs. :?

Yeh, it's kinda stupid how people get freaked about dogs and call cops and stuff when the dog was just, well, being a dog, and never hurt anyone. :x

This is the most annoying thing I can think of when it comes to dog owners. They always think their dog would "never hurt anyone." Of the three injuries in my family that happened from dogs, they were always by dogs that are "usually very calm" and "never hurt anyone before." All three injuries happened while trying to stay as far away from the dogs as possible because everyone in my family hates dogs. Actually I should say there were four injuries, my big sister got injured from the first and only dog our family ever had, which is why my family hates dogs.

Finally, and saddest of all, my uncle's dog. My uncle lives out in the country, and has a bit of land that he lets his dog run on. Well, just recently the dog was running and came across a little girl in the woods. The dog being naturally territorial and suspicious, he growled and barked at her a bit, but would never have hurt her. He's a really gentle dog really. Only thing is, he was on the girl's parents' property, and the parents freaked and called the cops. Well, once the cops were involved, there was no escaping the law. My uncle had to either contain the dog, find him a new home, or put him down. He was unsucessful in containing him, as the dog likes to run, it's in his nature, and he couldn't find it a new home. He had to put it to sleep Crying or Very sad .

That's not sad at all. The dog was on someone else's property, growling at their little girl. Around here that wouldn't warrant a call to the cops, the landowner would shoot it himself. Actually a long time ago my dad did have to do that. 2 dogs were on my cousin's property growling at my older sister (same one who got bit before) and some of my cousins, so my dad had to go over at shoot them. The owners of the dogs came around looking for them, and my dad told him he shot them. They called the cops, the cops got there and saw the situation, and told the owners to remove the carcasses from my cousins property.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

This month(August) was a a bad one. I had two dogs, that lived with my Aunt cause I am allergic to dogs badly.

The oldest dog is 14 years old human years, she was starting to choke on food, and would vomit if she did. The vet told us that she had tumors through-out her entire body, some as large as a tennis ball. We put her down that same day. :cry:

Our other dog, who was 10 years old human years was bumping into walls, and was moaning all the time. We just knew the moaning and the sobs were from losing Bagel(the 14 year old dog), but we didn't know why she was bumping into the walls. The vet told us she was losing her memory slowly, and eventually would forget who anyone was and would become aggressive and violent. We put her down a few days later. :(

This month, this summer actually seems so pitiful for dogs. :?

From how you describe your ten-year old, it sounds like she had a stroke, or perhaps a burst blood vessel in her brain.

Icantcmyeye.png

Icantcmyeye.png

Yeh, it's kinda stupid how people get freaked about dogs and call cops and stuff when the dog was just, well, being a dog, and never hurt anyone. :x

This is the most annoying thing I can think of when it comes to dog owners. They always think their dog would "never hurt anyone." Of the three injuries in my family that happened from dogs, they were always by dogs that are "usually very calm" and "never hurt anyone before." All three injuries happened while trying to stay as far away from the dogs as possible because everyone in my family hates dogs. Actually I should say there were four injuries, my big sister got injured from the first and only dog our family ever had, which is why my family hates dogs.

No wonder that dogs hate you to.

Finally, and saddest of all, my uncle's dog. My uncle lives out in the country, and has a bit of land that he lets his dog run on. Well, just recently the dog was running and came across a little girl in the woods. The dog being naturally territorial and suspicious, he growled and barked at her a bit, but would never have hurt her. He's a really gentle dog really. Only thing is, he was on the girl's parents' property, and the parents freaked and called the cops. Well, once the cops were involved, there was no escaping the law. My uncle had to either contain the dog, find him a new home, or put him down. He was unsucessful in containing him, as the dog likes to run, it's in his nature, and he couldn't find it a new home. He had to put it to sleep Crying or Very sad .

That's not sad at all. The dog was on someone else's property, growling at their little girl. Around here that wouldn't warrant a call to the cops, the landowner would shoot it himself. Actually a long time ago my dad did have to do that. 2 dogs were on my cousin's property growling at my older sister (same one who got bit before) and some of my cousins, so my dad had to go over at shoot them. The owners of the dogs came around looking for them, and my dad told him he shot them. They called the cops, the cops got there and saw the situation, and told the owners to remove the carcasses from my cousins property.

*shakes his head*

You can tell something about people from the way they treat animals.

I'm very sorry to hear about your unfortunate week. Thankfully nobody has gotten seriously injured from the dogs, or things would have been much worse for you and your family.

I have a friend who was bitten by a dog at a wedding. An inch to the left and she would have been blind. Instead she was left with a large scar next to her eye.

A lot of people die or get seriously injured from aggressive dogs every year. If a dog becomes aggressive I think the best choice is to put it down. Yes, it's a sad thought... :'(