Why Jagex Why?

englandman66

Probably for the large dutch and German population that plays the game. Honestly, have you ever seen players speaking in French in RS?

Try a Canadian server. You'll see it sometimes, people from Quebec and (to a lesser extent) New Brunswic (provinces if you dont know canadian geography). since Quebec is offically the only french province and New Brunswic is the only bi lingual one. On any other server though no, you dont see french. Many of the peopel who speek those other languages also speek english, so its not a big deal for them.

im quebecois , like ppl from france , almost every french speak or try like to to speak in english , so they can get more ppl with dutch im sure ...

something to say about my english grammar ?!?!? , okay , but do it in french !

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont believe it was a necessity but german speakers do use the german world. I for one use it because it gives me extra practice with german. Im learning it in school and it can help me learn new words/phrases. So for me it works out, I like it.

Evil_Ruler7.png

Chinese... ahhh gold farmers lol

Hmm german?

I really don't know.

Hey Nicrune007 , Whats Your Username?

twss.jpg

99 Ranged on 2/6/07 99 Hit Points on 9/5/08 99 Defense on 26/4/08 99 Attack on 14/2/09 99 Strength on 25/2/09 99 Slayer on 13/9/09\:D/

Probably for the large dutch and German population that plays the game. Honestly, have you ever seen players speaking in French in RS?
Sure: gem rocks Shilo village :P

And German people have something with RPG's, games like Gothic, and some less known titles are made in German and later translated to English, and other larger titles also sell for a very big part in Germany.

I believe there are more Dutch people in the game than German, but the Netherlands are very small, and Germany is quite large, so there is much more need for Dutch people to learn German than vice versa, and I believe more Dutch people learn English either.

Just because we are such a small country.

And I don't know if this is right, but I've heard somewhere that it wasn't Jagex who made the German language pack, but it was an German voluntary guy, i guess I've read that when the German language update was on RS front page.

coenvg.png

Master of Firemaking since 10-11-2007 Yes, I QUIT! =]

Master of Woodcutting since Christmas 2007

Completed all quests - Completed all achievement diaries.

Can someone answer me this.

The top ten spoken languages in the world are...

Mandarin Chinese

English

Hindustani

Spanish

Russian

Arabic

Bengali

Portugese

Malay-Indonesian

French

And Jagex makes Runescape German.

Why the Hell Did they make it German.

I understand that some of those languages aren't the weathiest countries and can't afford computers and etc.

But Spanish, French, Portugese, Russian, and some Arabic speaking countries

Your reasons why they SHOULD have done it are the exact same reasons why Jagex chose NOT to do it.

Bringing a game into a whole new language raises many major issues:

Will it be popular?

Can our company support it?

How do we go about future additions of languages?

It was the first one the chose they needed a smaller yet important language that would take a while to build up in popularity, they needed to learn how much they need to adjust their company set up for the introduction of bigger languages.

For example if they jumped in with Chineese and the game was swamped straight away they would not have the man power, servers etc to support the players and so thye chose german as they would have greater amount s of thime to react.

But why german and not another smaller language?

In germany there is a large and active gaming community with many many online players, however they are less likely than other nationlities to play games in a differnet language! so by attacking the german market they are opeing up to alot of player who otherwise would not have played.

If you look at the dutch speaking countries however they seem very happy to play english games, as they are great at handeling the language.... it would not be such a sucsess to do it.

sig2webzx7.jpg

Am I the first one to say this really? .. Hmm. . .

Why marketplace, why?

This thread was in the general, some mod moved it here, don't know why...

Edit: huh? It keeps switching places from marketplace to general and general to marketplace rofl

that's called demand and supply (i know the demand and supply has a different sense when it comes to economic) - if you have a bunch of Dutch speaking players, you tend to favour them by doing this

The competition is huge. Without this kind of stuff, they probably lose customers

Currently taking a break from Runescape

have you ever seen players speaking in French in RS?

I do when i meet some of my french friends and do you know what happen ?

We are flamed because we use another language... from people who use 'netherlandish' language wich is not german. Amazing ! This may be a reason not to see us as often as we would love to.

European servers are either in Holland or in Finland ! I guess it is mostly because of the economical situation than the population : membership = fee.

Jagex tryied on the language they had servers on.

Runescape forced me to keep my english (writen) warm and it is the greatest thing a game could do.

Even if it would be nice to enable other languages, i still think on language is a good think as you need it to interact with people all over the world.

Oh baby light the dark side...

This thread was in the general, some mod moved it here, don't know why...

Edit: huh? It keeps switching places from marketplace to general and general to marketplace rofl

lol, I wondered why it was getting so many hits in the marketplace.

Edit:It was just in Marketplace, and after I replied it took me to General Discussion.

ready-5.gif

yes? i speak french sometimes, the chat i join randomly breaks out in french convo's.

but i get what your saying, i see WAY more german speakers then french or any other.

Let your yellow mellow.

I heard somewhere that German is the most spoken language in Europe. Well i guess as a first language atleast. Remember, not just Germans have German as their native tongue. Other countries such as Switzerland, Austria and Leichtestein have German as an official language.

Babyshambles.png

I think that they chose to take on German first because they easily had enough German speaking man power whilst still working on the updates. I don't think they will take on Mandarin Chinese yet because they will be flooded by such a huge market. I know, they would get huge profits, but there is such thing as too much of a good thing. Maybe they will take on French or Dutch next?

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Can someone answer me this.

..And Jagex makes Runescape German.

Why the Hell Did they make it German.

A couple of thngs to consider...

1) IIRC, English and German are both considered "Germanic" type languages.

That means that the sentence structure is similar.

Hence, translations from English to German could be relatively smooth.

By comparison, Spanish, Portugese, French, and Italian are considered "Latin" languages.

Latin based languages typically typically reverse the placement

of words within a sentence, (compared to English), and hence,

translations are harder to do correctly.

But Spanish, French, Portugese, Russian, and some Arabic speaking countries

2) Well, did Jagex ever say that a German RS was going to be the only

non-english speaking version?

It might be that Andrew and Paul just flipped and coin and decided to do German first...

Are there seriously that many Germans who play?

Every time I walk around I see Como Estas? or Do you speak french (in french)

HAHAHAHA

Seriously, you obvioulsy don't know french if you think como estas is french. ("Parlez-vous fran̮̤̉̉ais?" would mean "do you speak french?".)

Retired High Leader of the Great Titans

linesig3bv2.jpg

DK: Dragon axe x55, Zerker x40, Warrior x44

GWD: Bandos hilt x2,Bandos plate x8,Bandos tassets x3, Bandos boots x 2, Armadyl helm x2, Armadyl hilt x1, Saradomin sword x3

Dragon drops: d chain x3, d left half x3, d legs x4, d skirt x2, d claws x6

Are there seriously that many Germans who play?

Every time I walk around I see Como Estas? or Do you speak french (in french)

HAHAHAHA

Seriously, you obvioulsy don't know french if you think como estas is french. ("Parlez-vous fran̮̤̉̉ais?" would mean "do you speak french?".)

Como Estat - something about the United States? :S

I doubt they did it for he biggest speaing countries. I imagine they did it like..

"Which country, apart from England, plays the most?

Ooh, it's Germany!"

So that's why they made German servers I guess... More are probably are on the way, but it's complicated. It's not all Copying and Pasting through a Translator.. :P

hugo_da_dark.png