What do YOU know about Global-Warming?

Zouka

Well, I was browsing the net today and came across this test. I figured I'd share it with you lot...

Take the Global-Warming test and see if you know the facts!

The Global-Warming Test

Post your results here!

As well as any comments you may have. :)

I'll start us off:

For my first-time test results (I've taken it multiple times) I obtained a 8/10.

Which, according to the website is "fair, you are on your way"...

---

The Great Global Warming Swindle

http://en.sevenload.com/videos/ha4PoKY/ ... ng-Swindle

(I'm linking to sevenload because google video is censoring the video).

"Channel 4, Great Britain's public service television station, has done an excellent job of deconstructing the myth that the majority of scientists agree that Global Warming is caused by human activity. In this video you will see scores of world-class scientists, many of whom are credentialed professors in their fields, state flatly that Global Warming is caused by solar activity and that cycles like the one we are now experiencing have occurred many times throughout history. They prove their case with hard data showing that, over long periods of time, as sun-spot activity went up, so did Earth temperatures; and, as sun-spot activity waned, temperatures dropped. They show also that temperatures on Earth actually went down in previous years when human industrialization was increasing at its greatest rate..." Read more...

Note:

Please do not post that you disagree or find the test/ documentary to be biased with no logic and/ or sources to back up your claim, as it leaves no room for discussion.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10/10

I'm on the same side of the debate as the author though, so it's slightly bias and unfair :-w .

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

I stopped after question #3. All I know is that global warming is bad and I should do something about it.

Why is it bad?

I stopped after question #3. All I know is that global warming is bad and I should do something about it.

Why is it bad?

Why is it good?

Longer harvesting season, for one thing.

Your turn. I'll retort when I wake up.

And no "It'll destroy the world" response(s), please, 'cause the Earth's just a tad bit more resilient than most people seem to think. And I'd prefer you adding more information than your last post as well, rather than dodging defending your case and moving to mine.

And modern day technology fixes both of those problems warrior and sanfrans. ^^

Honestly I have no idea what to believe on global warming, we're entering a new warm period, or ice age, CO2 is the cause, tectonics, atmosphere depletion, human interaction with the environment..like c'mon?

I don't actually care...

JfvHV.png

798M9.png

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

My new site. [bETA]

And modern day technology fixes both of those problems warrior and sanfrans. ^^

Honestly I have no idea what to believe on global warming, we're entering a new warm period, or ice age, CO2 is the cause, tectonics, atmosphere depletion, human interaction with the environment..like c'mon?

I'd hardly call cloud seeding a fix for climate change. It's a case of the dog chasing it's tail. Feel free to screw up the weather and don't think of the consequences until it starts to bite you in the [wagon]. Added to that, it seems something like cloud seeding isn't a simple one shot rainmaker; it needs specific conditions. Added to that, there can only be so much precipitation in the air; sucking it in at one location inevitably takes it from somewhere else, thus merely shifting the problem there.

First, cloud seeding is effective only in a limited number of weather conditions in certain locations. Also, cloud seeding requires existing clouds; it will not produce rain out of thin air.

Not all types of clouds are suitable for seeding. Research has shown clouds must be deep enough and of a suitable temperature (between -10 and -12 degrees Celsius) to be able to effectively implant them. The wind must also be below a certain speed. These conditions are most common in mountainous areas. This is obviously a problem for much of the Australian mainland, which is predominantly flat and generally unconducive to producing heavy rain clouds.

After extensive testing, the CSIRO has reasoned that cloud seeding is unlikely to be effective during winter and spring over the inland plains of southern and eastern Australia and similarly ineffective during summer over eastern and north-eastern Australia or immediately to the north of Perth. In fact, the only strongly successful cloud seeding to date has been conducted in Tasmania, mainly in the mountainous west. Hydro Tasmania believes every dollar invested in cloud seeding delivers a $3 return on investment.

b. Precipitation increase

There is statistical evidence that precipitation from supercooled orographic clouds (clouds that develop over mountains) has been seasonally increased by about 10%. The physical cause-and-effect relationships, however, have not been fully documented. Nevertheless, the potential for such increases is supported by field measurements and numerical model simulations.

Some experiments with warm-based convective clouds [bases about 10ÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâðC (~50ÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâðF) or warmer] involving heavy silver iodide seeding have suggested a positive effect on individual convective cells, but conclusive evidence that such seeding can increase rainfall from multicell storms has yet to be established. Many steps in the physical chain of events are not well understood at this time and have not been documented with observations nor simulated in numerical modeling experiments.

In recent years, the seeding of warm and cold convective clouds with hygroscopic chemical particles to augment rainfall has received renewed attention through model simulations and field experiments. A recent randomized experiment has reported statistical evidence of a rainfall increase that is supported by numerical modeling experiments. Nevertheless, measurements of key steps in the chain of physical events associated with hygroscopic particle seeding are needed to confirm the seeding hypothesis and the range of effectiveness of these techniques in increasing precipitation. Evidence that such seeding can increase rainfall over economically significant areas is not yet available.

There are indications that precipitation changes, either increases or decreases, can also occur at some distance beyond intended target areas (extra-area effects). Improved quantification of the associated hydrological impacts is needed to satisfy public concerns.

And as for fixing floods? As I see it at present, this is impossible. What technology do you suggest 'fixes' floods? Sandbags? The floods still happen. Again, the dog chasing it's tail. See how successful you are surrounding a huge farm with sandbags and time how long it takes the burst river bank to completely swamp the petty attempt at stoping one of the most powerful forces of nature.

I don't think it really matter what we do anymore. China and India are screwing things up so badly that the rest of us just cant compensate :(

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

That CO2 question is ridiculous. In terms of human existance yes they are at record levels... -.-

8/10 though. The first question's debatable anyway; even I admit that as a supporter of action against global warming. TBH, this is a really weak quiz. :?

and the earth is allegedly warming how?

we could just get into a flame war, but ill just say im not taking the quiz and think global warming isnt happening.

UZp6G.png

32,606th to 99 magic || 15,388th to 99 dungeoneering || 12,647th to 99 farming

14,792nd to 99 range || 24,954th to 99 herblore

It's a pretty stupid quiz and obviously bias. They give you 2 questions "acknowledging" that global warming is real making them seem impartial and then start giving you an obviously bias point of view.

EDIT: http://www.globalwarmingheartland.org/ - Clearly not bias.

"The only way to avoid packaging the water would be to deliver it to people's homes and places of business through some sort of amazingly intricate and complex series of reservoirs, pumping stations, pipes . . . hey, wait a second.."