Looking Back on Skill Capes, A whole Year Ago

DRUMINATOR17

As Most of you all know A great update was put into our game of Runescape which Changed the way in which many of us Runescapers would forever play the game.

As of October 18th, 2006, EXACTLY 1 Year ago, the Capes of Achievements were introduced into this game. For any of you that doubt this date (not sure why you would), I have the link right here :wink: )

Just take a minute, read the article again if you want to, and think of what has happened to runescape in the past year since this update in particular.

[hide= 18 October 2006 - Capes of Achievement... and Goats!]

Are you one of the hottest firemakers? Craftier than a clockwork cat? Bit of a wiz at wizardry? Try out our new Capes of Achievement today!

Experts across RuneScape are now selling these stylish new additions to your wardrobe... but watch out! Only players who have reached level 99 of a specific skill or completed all of the quests will have the right to wear the latest in-game fashion and gain access to a funky new emote to show off their new cape!

Each cape comes with a matching hood, and if you've mastered more than one skill, a trimmed model will highlight your talent. So whatever skills your achievements lie in, you can show off your dedication with these elite new items. For those of you who still wonder about reaching level 100 ... there's a sneaky boost to your stat on each cape, temporarily giving you the effects of that unattainable century!

To find out where you can buy one, wander over to the Knowledge Base article.

This week also sees the release of a tough, new breed of animals. Herds of Desert Goats can now be found wandering around the Kharidian - um - Desert. Now there's a surprise!

Intrepid explorers who go hunting for these bleating beasts will find that they can collect goat horns, which, when powdered and mixed with Harralander, can make a new Combat potion. This magical (level 36) elixir combines the properties of a basic Attack Potion and Strength potion, so it's a handy addition to your inventory when heading into difficult combat situations.

Warning: Goats and the desert effect can be bad for your health!

[/hide]

Was this the update that affected the largest number of players ever? Has it changed the way you or any of your friends play the game? Think back to what it did to the price of rares when the capes came out and how everyone rush to sell their rares off, one of the few if not only times that this has happened.

Discuss any or all of the things I mentioned or list and point out to everyone else other things that I might have missed in regards to this topic.

CLICK - 770th to 99 SLAYER 2/4/08 - 204th to 99 Summoning 7/1/08 CLICK

tifovsigev3.jpg

Druminator17.png

[Hide=List of Drops That I haven't updated in Years but want to keep in my Sig anyways...]VISAGE DROP - 12/06/07

3 Duo Sara Hilts, 3 Duo Arma Hilts, 2 Trio Arma Hilts.

Dark Bows: (11) Dragon Boots: (50!)

Whip Drops: (42!!!) Dragon Drops: (90+!!!!!) 2 D CHAINS!, 3 D Axe, 8 D meds, 7 left halfs, 7 D legs, 6 skirts, 8 Spears[/hide]

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i though

"omfg i need a 99 skill!!!!!!!!"

1 year has past i still got 0 99 skills :D

My private chat is always ON.

Winner of The Tip.It Teamcape Outfit Contest!

6 years. 1 dragon CS drop and some barrows, bad luck?

99melee.jpg

No.

Any 99 is a long term goal for me. And by long, I MEAN long. Ages. Decades maybe...

Since I'm pretty much self-sufficient, I gather most of my own resources, so price jumps affect me very little.

I think it did affect the community, since the buyable capes (especially cooking) have caused a jump in prices for raw fish. Those are worth more then their cooked counterparts.

transcript80.png

Other data was removed when acoount got hacked...

yeah i used to hate firemaking now i have all the logs in my bank for lvl 99 \'

quick question can you drop untrimmed cape to get a trimmed cape when you have more 99 skills?

You can drop untrimmed, but once you pick it up with 2 99 skills it gets trimmed.

Retired

Ex-E174

Ex-Venqeance

[Ex-Tha Familia3]

Yeah, it has changed way people play...

And the thing that annoys me is that EVERYBODY is going for cook/fletch cape because you dont really have to do anything to obtain it.

I think people do it 'because skillcape makes other people respect me!!!'

Well, that's not entirely true. I mean, who the heck respects cooking/fletching cape if 30k other people have it aswell?

You either have respect, or you don't. You can't buy it.

But meh, let people go for any skill they want, it's totally up to them what they do :P

;D

[/url]">i_had_a_deal.png
[4Th in Finland to achieve 99 mining. 3Rd of June 2007]

Pixels make me horny.

For sure it changes how the game is played,

people go do all small quests, not only the big necessary ones,

and also don't stop training when their level is high enough for what they need or want. ::'

coenvg.png

Master of Firemaking since 10-11-2007 Yes, I QUIT! =]

Master of Woodcutting since Christmas 2007

Completed all quests - Completed all achievement diaries.

yeah i used to hate firemaking now i have all the logs in my bank for lvl 99 \'

quick question can you drop untrimmed cape to get a trimmed cape when you have more 99 skills?

You can drop untrimmed, but once you pick it up with 2 99 skills it gets trimmed.

so you can have a trimmed cape no matter wot

quag.jpg

jordo20045.png

It hugely increased the amount of people with 99 cooking and/or flechting, and therefore those capes are hardly respected any more. It has just become too common. I think the same will happen to firemaking and thieving in the long run, those skills are incredible fast xp too. So once people realize it isn't respected any more, those will become popular.

But there has definitely been a good change too, people who accomplished the hard 99's (slayer, agility, mining, etc.) finally have the whole respect they deserve. And the best thing is, the respect is optional, if you're tired of all the "nice cape", "3m0t3 pl0x!!!", etc. you could just stop wearing your cape will be able to play normally again.

But there is a dark site too, people have lost the meaning of a game and just grind until they're bored to death just for a stupid cape. Maybe it's because I didn't pay too much attention to that not long ago, but I see an increasingly amount of people saying how boring the skill they were training was. When I asked why they did, it a lot answered they just had to get that 99.

Has it been a good development? In my eyes, definitely. Now the people who aren't rich, but do have patience to train a non buyable skill finally have a way to show off their achievements. (*Cough* mining *Cough*)

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

It has changed the way in which I play, I now want to get no 99s at all. Even if I do get a 99 I won't buy the cape for it. I would want to get a 99 for myself, not to show off a flashy item. If I wanted to do that I'd get a phat. You should be proud of 99s and people with combat related capes (excluding slayer) get flamed for pcing. I have never pced and never will, I think it ruined the combat system. Also people who have easily bought capes also get flamed. It seems it's best to have no 99's instead of a certain few of them.

Sig.jpg

Yeah, before the Capes of Achievement came out, I was awed by my friend who just got 99 Woodcutting and Firemaking. This was the first time I heard of someone to get that high of stats before. After the update, I would be more than 75% of blogs and what not were changed or had added a 99 goal.

So I definitely believe this has changed the way the gamers looked at the game.

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

The effects of this update can not be underestimated, nor overstated. The economic effects of this update are still being felt up to today. Everything from the price of lobsters to yew logs and bowstring was hit by this update. It has been very interesting to me to see that prices fluctuate, based on a cape. You used to buy raw lobsters, cook them, and then sell them, for either a profit or break even, now you lose money.

sig3gk6.png

The problem here, like with Burger King hats and so many other things, is insecure people who want things to show off or "get respect".

It's a ridiculous concept. You don't get respect from objects, but from how you treat others. There might be exceptions for certain rare capes, but really, what are you respecting here, the number of hours someone plays a game?

Some people do like to get 99s quickly, others don't care. I'm combat level 121 with around 1900 total and I just got my first 99 last week.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

after that update the game changed a lot!

after that day i noticed many players were only focussing on 1 skill just to get the cape.

i remember when i got my 99 cooking (7 months befor skill cape update)

got 99 cooking on +- rank 3900. now there are 26495 wi!th that skill

most of them got it just to have a skill cape (cooking or fletching is probably their first skill cape). even then 99 cooking didn t got that much respect as any other skill. Most respect i gto is because i got 99 skills in f2p.

i admit i give top f2p players more respect as any other member player with a 99 skill.

because of the update many prices changed to, merchanters could have made much money out of it.

now after 1 year if i see a skill cape i dont think the other guy ears more respect, skilling is something any1 can do.

rsname: lord rex.
december 2011: ranked 107th best f2p player
march 2012 became member.

Lord_Rex.png

I see nothing in here about the cape being members only.

But yes, it has definetly affected a large amount of players. Probably 75% of the blogs on TIF are about getting a 99.

I engineered this thread with precise variables that I know would cause lul-worthy flames.

Ammo931.png

i think meny ppl are forgetting things:

a skill/quest cape is a very cheap obby cape and can be a good prayer cape also :D

you can do meny things in the skills(fletch and cook) when you hit 99(d arrows mage bows, sharks no burn and meny orther good foods.)

its nice to see the 99 number in your stats :P

its fells really nice to know you hit the maximum lvl in A skill \:D/\:D/

My private chat is always ON.

Winner of The Tip.It Teamcape Outfit Contest!

6 years. 1 dragon CS drop and some barrows, bad luck?

99melee.jpg

Ive only been playing for a year, but when i saw my frist skill cape i said to my self. "Im going to get me a skill cape before i quit" and thats what i did. I didnt play before there where skill capes but i dobut i would have gotten a skill to 99 if there was no cape. I hope to get more capes as i go on with my RS career.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]