MechScape: The reason for the decline of RS?

Dragonlordjl

Now I'm even more convinced that MechScape is a rumor.

Oh so a filed tradedmark by Jagex Ltd, over 20 domains registered to Jagex Ltd, Jagex employees writing about it on their CVs, some peices of concept art leaked, us knowing Jagex have been working on a new game or 2 for a while and it's a rumour? :-k

I'm not going to believe a word of it until Jagex actually puts something on their corporate website.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my opinion.

This is one of the most worthless, idiotic threads I have seen in a while. Just because a company is working on another game doesn't mean that it's going to abandon it's first one. SOE has, I believe, 14 different MMORPGs, yet many of them are very good. It would be very stupid of Jagex to let go of their original game, the game that has made them millions.

RuneScape is not limited by Java, it is limited by the fact that it is a browser game. Java isn't good for graphics, but it is capable of creating graphics that are much better than RuneScape's

wurm_online.jpg

This is a screenshot from Wurm Online, an MMORPG programmed entirely in Java.

Jagex works very hard on RuneScape. Why don't you read this? If you want to quit RuneScape, go ahead. It's your loss.

EDIT: I looked up Mechscape on Wikipedia. All I found was a short, unprofessional stub article that claims that Jagex is making a game named MechScape. I also checked on Google. I'm thinking that this new game is just a rumor...

Hmm, lets look at it form your point of view. Mechscape is just a myth. So, Jagex registered all those domain names with "mechscape" names in them for pure fun. They also must be hiring employees with a sci fi interest just for pure conversational reasons.

Also, Jagex must have registered a trademark for Mechscape, because it sounds cool.

Not saying it is definite, but, it has a lot of merit.

tfssig.png

I'm not going to believe a word of it until Jagex actually puts something on their corporate website.

http://www.jagex.com/corporate/About/today.ws

Our aim for 2007 is to continue to develop and improve RuneScape, while at the same time taking RuneScape into other non-english language markets following Germany. And to develop further games using our technologies.

Can you not see it yet?

Our aim for 2007 is to continue to develop and improve RuneScape, while at the same time taking RuneScape into other non-english language markets following Germany. And to develop further games using our technologies.

Can you not see it yet?

I have read that page a dozen times before. With the new CEO, it's almost certain that Jagex is making a new game. But if MechScape has been in development for as long as your evidence says, it would have been announced long before now on the corporate website, and perhaps even on runescape.com.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

Can you not see it yet?

I have read that page a dozen times before. With the new CEO, it's almost certain that Jagex is making a new game. But if MechScape has been in development for as long as your evidence says, it would have been announced long before now on the corporate website, and perhaps even on runescape.com.

Have you ever thought they want to keep it a surprise/secret until it is very close to being finished before they release it? Maybe they don't want to deal with members whining on the forums about how they are so slow, or they want it now.

Jagex has kept secrets before. Hunter is a prime example.

tfssig.png

Jagex are probably trying to avoid fake websites popping up and not mentioning it untill it is near completion.

Imagine if today jagex said on the runescape homepage that they had a game called mechscape in development, can you just imagine what the whole forums are going to be like? Rants, spam, the lot.

If i was Jagex ceo i wouldn't say a word of it untill it was complete.

Finally, November is Jagex's last chance to avoid losing one of their longest paying customers. If they don't release anything spectacular in November, come December first, I am unsubscribing. But hell, what do I matter to them? Even if I leave, I will just be replaced by ten whiny noobs who crap their pants and then beg Jagex to do something about it.

Oh, and PS: I will probably end up checking out their new game if it has a trial, but there's no way in hell I am subscribing. Jagex has exhausted their credibility with me; the only reason I've put up with their BS for this long is because I've invested over half a decade of my life into their game and I do not fancy starting from scratch in a different MMO.

Cry about it...

A REPLACEMENT?

Ok picture this, they replace your yew and magic trees with a tree that if you attempt to cut it alone your axe breaks, if you cut it with a group as soon as you get a log you get a skull on your head, all the other woodcutters attack you and you cant log out for 3 minutes.

Bounty hunter and tournaments were not a replacement, they are garbage.

"Mechscape" may be (I believe) a companion product for Jagex, however tracing through from Wiki to the UK Intellectual Property Office (where trademarks are recorded) I believe they are going to continue expanding the Runescape "cash-cow" empire. They are going or are planning to do this through physical play merchandise such as trading cards, board games etc. Watch the shops Xmas 2008!!!

The link if you are interested the link is

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/tm/t-find/t-find-number?detailsrequested=C&trademark=2469132. If you are unsure about clicking links then here is an extract from the application:

Case details for Trade Mark 2469132

Case history Mark

Mark text: RUNESCAPE

Filing date: 11 October 2007 List of goods or services

Class 28: Toys, games and playthings; board games; playing cards

Proprietor: Jagex Limited

St Andrews House, 90 St Andrews Road, Cambridge, CB4 1DL

Incorporated country: United Kingdom

Residence country: United Kingdom

Customer's ref: SC/RUNESCAPE/W28

ADP number: 0820133001

TTFN

Runescape...Trading...Cards... :ohnoes:

Although a Runescape version of Monopoly wouldn't be half bad :)

Port Sarim: $300

Abyssal Whip: $150

"Mechscape" may be (I believe) a companion product for Jagex, however tracing through from Wiki to the UK Intellectual Property Office (where trademarks are recorded) I believe they are going to continue expanding the Runescape "cash-cow" empire. They are going or are planning to do this through physical play merchandise such as trading cards, board games etc. Watch the shops Xmas 2008!!!

The link if you are interested the link is

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/tm/t-find/t-find-number?detailsrequested=C&trademark=2469132. If you are unsure about clicking links then here is an extract from the application:

Case details for Trade Mark 2469132

Case history Mark

Mark text: RUNESCAPE

Filing date: 11 October 2007 List of goods or services

Class 28: Toys, games and playthings; board games; playing cards

Proprietor: Jagex Limited

St Andrews House, 90 St Andrews Road, Cambridge, CB4 1DL

Incorporated country: United Kingdom

Residence country: United Kingdom

Customer's ref: SC/RUNESCAPE/W28

ADP number: 0820133001

TTFN

Runescape...Trading...Cards... :ohnoes:

Although a Runescape version of Monopoly wouldn't be half bad :)

Port Sarim: $300

Abyssal Whip: $150

Surely that class 28 past refers to what else is in the category chosen... Jagex is making a "game" and so are in class 28, MB make bored games so come into that class too....

is it not just a class description rather than company description.

sig2webzx7.jpg

Its called 'expanding your company'... -.-

The author is the online equivilent of a guy walking around on a street corner with a 'The End is Come!' cardboard sign...

There is no meaning or truth in life but that which we create for ourselves.

40678187bv4.jpg

I can't believe Jagex plans to make their next game out of java aswell. That is so stupid.

Runescape doesn't have smooth, agreeable gameplay, au contaire. Runescape doesn't have good graphics, it is bottom pit. Runescape doesn't have a good friendly community, it's one of the worse on internet. It survives because of the exceptionally large content it has.

For now, a lot of high graphical mmorpgs are asian hack and slashs, with very little content. But when the little asians will have understood that adding content is the way to go if they want to snatch the westerners, Runescape is toasted.

Choosing java for their alledged backup game is utterly ridiculous. It means they will never be able to graphically compete with the other games. So in the next years, Jagex survival will count on pure wishful thinking: in hopes other graphically superior games don't start adding complex content such as skills and roleplaying quests.

2480+ total

I can't believe Jagex plans to make their next game out of java aswell. That is so stupid.

Runescape doesn't have smooth, agreeable gameplay, au contaire. Runescape doesn't have good graphics, it is bottom pit. Runescape doesn't have a good friendly community, it's one of the worse on internet. It survives because of the exceptionally large content it has.

For now, a lot of high graphical mmorpgs are asian hack and slashs, with very little content. But when the little asians will have understood that adding content is the way to go if they want to snatch the westerners, Runescape is toasted.

Choosing java for their alledged backup game is utterly ridiculous. It means they will never be able to graphically compete with the other games. So in the next years, Jagex survival will count on pure wishful thinking: in hopes other graphically superior games don't start adding complex content such as skills and roleplaying quests.

Lmao "Graphics this, Graphics that".

I don't play runescape for the graphics, i play runescape for the game it is.

Not to mention Jagex being JA Gaming EXperts and all of their in-house technologies being based around Java.

It seems to me that if this game is to come that it would make sence not to do it in the same fashion that they have been doing runescape in for so long.

Technological changes come about every other year or so and Runescape has been running in this same system / format / java stuff (Whatever the hell the proper term is) that it seems like the only way it could do well with what else is out there on the market now, is to step up and upgrade.

Then again I guess we are all going to be playing a good bit of wait and see as it doesnt seem to me that anyone knows for sure what jagex is planing on using for their next game, as so much as they barely understand that a next one is coming at all.

Not to mention Jagex being JA Gaming EXperts and all of their in-house technologies being based around Java.

Which, correct me if I am wrong, was also highlanders point.

CLICK - 770th to 99 SLAYER 2/4/08 - 204th to 99 Summoning 7/1/08 CLICK

tifovsigev3.jpg

Druminator17.png

[Hide=List of Drops That I haven't updated in Years but want to keep in my Sig anyways...]VISAGE DROP - 12/06/07

3 Duo Sara Hilts, 3 Duo Arma Hilts, 2 Trio Arma Hilts.

Dark Bows: (11) Dragon Boots: (50!)

Whip Drops: (42!!!) Dragon Drops: (90+!!!!!) 2 D CHAINS!, 3 D Axe, 8 D meds, 7 left halfs, 7 D legs, 6 skirts, 8 Spears[/hide]

Your missing the point.

Good graphics + good content (possible future high techn mmorpgs) or primitive graphics + good content (future Runescape). What would you choose?

And you totally missed my point, you idiot.

2480+ total

Your missing the point.

Good graphics + good content (possible future high techn mmorpgs) or primitive graphics + good content (future Runescape). What would you choose?

And you totally missed my point, you idiot.

primitive graphics + good content <3:

P.s. I never said I played for the content.

If there are higher graphics, it means that there will be higher system requirements. How many people have 1.5 gigabytes of RAM out there? The majority have around 256-1 gigabyte of RAM.

Graphically superior games such as WoW do have roleplaying quests and skills. RuneScape hasn't died out yet. In fact, I heard that Andrew and Paul are worth $80 million.

j0xPu5R.png

Game me and another ex-RS player are working on:

It's on time just like RuneScape updates (we're almost a year behind schedule, we wanted Public BETA last year at christmas).

thedocks.jpg

armed-on-horse.jpg

Special thanks to the secret person who offered to help us with bug fixing who will never be named unless they want to be.

So when is the public beta going to be out?

MechScape? I can't say, not won't, can't :wink:

And for our game err, not sure we still haven't built our dueling arena yet and jousting area.

But to be serious about it and give a date, I would say:

Don't expect anything until at least next christmas, there are only 3 people (including myself) that works on it.

youre trying to find the solution/reason to a problem which doesnt exist

Nice backup. I believe you.

Now I'm even more convinced that MechScape is a rumor.

GTFO. You cant read. Has it ever occurred to you that that maybe they aren't done yet?

#-o *WHOOSH*

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!

First of all, Java is the language that Jagex is familiar with. They probably aren't very good at C++.

Second, if this alleged new game is client-based, it would probably have decent graphics, MUCH better than RuneScape. Like I have said before on this thread and many others, RuneScape's graphics are poor because it's browser-based, not because it's Java. A C++ browser game wouldn't be much better than RuneScape.

Third, many games with good graphics, particularly "next-generation" games, DO have complicated quests ("epic quests") and skills. They also have superior gameplay. Take it from someone who plays such games.

First of all, Java is the language that Jagex is familiar with. They probably aren't very good at C++.

Second, if this alleged new game is client-based, it would probably have decent graphics, MUCH better than RuneScape. Like I have said before on this thread and many others, RuneScape's graphics are poor because it's browser-based, not because it's Java. A C++ browser game wouldn't be much better than RuneScape.

Third, many games with good graphics, particularly "next-generation" games, DO have complicated quests ("epic quests") and skills. They also have superior gameplay. Take it from someone who plays such games.

1. Much of Java is derived from C++. Anyone taking a Java course or studying Java could probably half-[wagon] C++ without too many errors, and vice-versa. All you need is a compiler for C++ and a Runtime Environment for Java.

2. No one said that this game would be client based. Hell, there aren't many details on the new game "Mechscape" as is. Refrain from speculating; don't want your bubble to burst too early.

3. "Superior" gameplay is subjective; some people like a challenge (puzzle), others like real-time strategy, and the select few like to build up empires/cities or earn cash specifically in a game. I find Starcraft and Diablo II superior to RuneScape, but only in gameplay. I even find C&C Generals: Zero Hour superior, but that's only because it's an RTS element.

4. Don't you realize that this is off-topic of the thread? Sure, he's talking about Mechscape coming out, but he also attributes that to the "decline and decay" of RuneScape. If you can't stick to that line, don't try and post.

Try not to talk when you don't understand half of what you're saying, okay? Kinda makes you look foolish.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

1. Much of Java is derived from C++. Anyone taking a Java course or studying Java could probably half-[wagon] C++ without too many errors, and vice-versa. All you need is a compiler for C++ and a Runtime Environment for Java.

2. No one said that this game would be client based. Hell, there aren't many details on the new game "Mechscape" as is. Refrain from speculating; don't want your bubble to burst too early.

3. "Superior" gameplay is subjective; some people like a challenge (puzzle), others like real-time strategy, and the select few like to build up empires/cities or earn cash specifically in a game. I find Starcraft and Diablo II superior to RuneScape, but only in gameplay. I even find C&C Generals: Zero Hour superior, but that's only because it's an RTS element.

4. Don't you realize that this is off-topic of the thread? Sure, he's talking about Mechscape coming out, but he also attributes that to the "decline and decay" of RuneScape. If you can't stick to that line, don't try and post.

Try not to talk when you don't understand half of what you're saying, okay? Kinda makes you look foolish.

1. Being able to "half-[wagon]" C++ doesn't mean you can make a good game with it.

2. I mentioned client games because highlander's post was suggesting that RuneScape had poor games due to the fact that it's Java, which obviously isn't true.

3. Yeah, that's probably true.

4. Tell that to highlanders. I was merely responding to his post.

I don't think that Jagex is making a game called MechScape, if you read any of my posts on this thread.

I perfectly understand everything that I say, mind you.