MechScape: The reason for the decline of RS?

Dragonlordjl

According to Wikipedia, Mechscape is the working name of Jagex's side project, a space/sci-fi MMO that they've been working on for several years. This actually explains a lot, to be honest.

What do you all think about this? I'll tell you what I think:

One possible conspiracy theory about why RS has declined over the past couple years is that Jagex realizes the cesspool RS has become, and they realize the amount of work it would require to salvage the game, and they decided it's not worth it. That's why so many of the things that players have begged for have gone unnoticed and unfixed. That's why almost all of the quest storylines are unfinished, the important issues like the defunct Triange have gone unnoticed, and why Customer Support is so crappy. They are still making a killing off RS, so they intend to let it run its course while they start from ground zero on their new game, hopefully fixing the problems that plagued RS.

But I honestly don't see how this new game will be any different, I mean.... Jagex is steeped in Java, so the game will likely have the same limitations, and in today's market, it will be extremely hard to get positive publicity with their new game if it keeps similar cartoony graphics to what RS has. Also, once the kiddies hear about the new game, they will infest it and crap in the pool like they did with RS. ALSO, with Jagex's horrid customer service, I just do not see any way their new game will survive. To be honest, by creating this new "side-project" they are cutting off their nose to spite their face. RS could be a brilliant game if they would just invest all their effort in fixing it, instead of starting over.

Finally, November is Jagex's last chance to avoid losing one of their longest paying customers. If they don't release anything spectacular in November, come December first, I am unsubscribing. But hell, what do I matter to them? Even if I leave, I will just be replaced by ten whiny noobs who crap their pants and then beg Jagex to do something about it.

Oh, and PS: I will probably end up checking out their new game if it has a trial, but there's no way in hell I am subscribing. Jagex has exhausted their credibility with me; the only reason I've put up with their BS for this long is because I've invested over half a decade of my life into their game and I do not fancy starting from scratch in a different MMO.

td2sig.jpg

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I highly doubt that's the reason it's declining. In fact, it's been up and down all the time since RS2's release. It was good, got bad, then it's gotten better, and up and down. I've noticed it now as I've gotten back on more often, it's rising up slightly now, but people don't notice it because they're on RS everyday, take a break, come back, then see how bad it is in other words.

As for your idea that they're letting RS decline, I don't think so. Jagex wouldn't spend money and time to keep updating RS if they didn't want to keep it up and running. Yes, maybe they'll release this other game, but it's not going to replace RS. Jagex has spent and still spends a good amount of money on RS every year/month/day/etc. So why would they purposely let it die? I mean they update graphics and add content, there's still a lot of RS to create, we only have like half the world, and who knows how much history to learn. But sorry to say this, I don't think they're letting it die on purpose.

And go ahead, leave members if you feel that need to, even if you've been paying since RSC. It's only $5 less, and considering they get new members daily, you're effect of leaving is probably like a 0.00000001 decrease in any profit or income to the company. Not to be rude, but it's true.

Wolfy is Officially Retired.

I miss you all (Well, mostly my friends n stuff)

If you want to talk to me, send me a message, I check the boards daily. :D

Okay, first of all, Wikipedia isn't that accurate. Anyone could go there anonymously and edit up any article they saw fit with whatever details they saw fit. I don't see how this explains a lot, since it's just something they're working on. An example is that Blizzard is working on Starcraft 2, but they're also developing a World of Warcraft expansion (I don't know how many are out now, never played.) Does this mean that they've turned their back on either community? No, just means that they're at work.

Second of all, it's easy to use speculation and rumor to explain the cause of various "broken" or "incomplete" aspects of the game. It's very easy to say that Jagex doesn't care and just continues along its merry course. However, it's very difficult to come into the realization that they've got more than one project brewing at any given moment, and that these projects have to be checked against other projects, and those other projects need to be drawn up, tested, re-tested, and so forth until it's ready. Then it gets put at the end of a very very long queue and will wait there, sometimes for as long as five years (evident with Construction). If patience isn't your virtue, then it's time for you to move on.

Third, if you realize that the game is in Java, then you should also realize that its graphics are revolutionary for its time. You find a game that has the kind of flexibility that RuneScape has (doesn't really matter what OS it runs on as long as it has a JRE) and runs as well over a 56K modem. The list is really short since games like that are seriously hard to come by, but what Jagex has done with RuneScape's graphics is something good in its own right.

Customer service is customer service; after dealing with whiny brats after four hours, you're begging to get off the computer and have it take over for a while. Seriously, we don't give CS as much credit as they are due. They put up with players that cross all spectrums [including yourself], and still manage to have a sense of humor every now and then. If you can't give them an iota of respect for putting up with half the crap they take on a daily basis, then you don't need to be attacking them.

One more thing -- you don't know how much effort, exactly, is being invested into RuneScape. With a project or game as big as RS, 100% of the company's attention is never going to be properly vested in it; that's divvied up with CS, bug fixing, community feedback, autoer patrol and mass bannings, and development. Suppose they took out the community feedback part; would that prove to you that they're working harder or would that give you even more ammo?

If you think you're really that worthless, then why the hell haven't you left yet? If you feel that you could be replaced by ten brats, then what does that make you? Valuable? I don't know, I haven't seen you been a 'valuable' customer yet. But then again that's the typical buzz when it comes to most RS players; the "gimmie-more" attitude and when something takes just a little longer to get done, a tantrum ensues.

If November is your last straw with this game, why wait? Chances are you'd be disappointed with the BTS and grumble your way through another month.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

"Mechscape" may be (I believe) a companion product for Jagex, however tracing through from Wiki to the UK Intellectual Property Office (where trademarks are recorded) I believe they are going to continue expanding the Runescape "cash-cow" empire. They are going or are planning to do this through physical play merchandise such as trading cards, board games etc. Watch the shops Xmas 2008!!!

The link if you are interested the link is

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/tm/t-find/t-find-number?detailsrequested=C&trademark=2469132. If you are unsure about clicking links then here is an extract from the application:

Case details for Trade Mark 2469132

Case history Mark

Mark text: RUNESCAPE

Filing date: 11 October 2007 List of goods or services

Class 28: Toys, games and playthings; board games; playing cards

Proprietor: Jagex Limited

St Andrews House, 90 St Andrews Road, Cambridge, CB4 1DL

Incorporated country: United Kingdom

Residence country: United Kingdom

Customer's ref: SC/RUNESCAPE/W28

ADP number: 0820133001

TTFN

Try my fully-graphical

copper_forum.png

RuneScape Equipment Bonus Calculator

at http://www.copperdragon.org/

[hide=Makoto_the_Phoenix wrote]Okay, first of all, Wikipedia isn't that accurate. Anyone could go there anonymously and edit up any article they saw fit with whatever details they saw fit. I don't see how this explains a lot, since it's just something they're working on. An example is that Blizzard is working on Starcraft 2, but they're also developing a World of Warcraft expansion (I don't know how many are out now, never played.) Does this mean that they've turned their back on either community? No, just means that they're at work.

Second of all, it's easy to use speculation and rumor to explain the cause of various "broken" or "incomplete" aspects of the game. It's very easy to say that Jagex doesn't care and just continues along its merry course. However, it's very difficult to come into the realization that they've got more than one project brewing at any given moment, and that these projects have to be checked against other projects, and those other projects need to be drawn up, tested, re-tested, and so forth until it's ready. Then it gets put at the end of a very very long queue and will wait there, sometimes for as long as five years (evident with Construction). If patience isn't your virtue, then it's time for you to move on.

Third, if you realize that the game is in Java, then you should also realize that its graphics are revolutionary for its time. You find a game that has the kind of flexibility that RuneScape has (doesn't really matter what OS it runs on as long as it has a JRE) and runs as well over a 56K modem. The list is really short since games like that are seriously hard to come by, but what Jagex has done with RuneScape's graphics is something good in its own right.

Customer service is customer service; after dealing with whiny brats after four hours, you're begging to get off the computer and have it take over for a while. Seriously, we don't give CS as much credit as they are due. They put up with players that cross all spectrums [including yourself], and still manage to have a sense of humor every now and then. If you can't give them an iota of respect for putting up with half the crap they take on a daily basis, then you don't need to be attacking them.

One more thing -- you don't know how much effort, exactly, is being invested into RuneScape. With a project or game as big as RS, 100% of the company's attention is never going to be properly vested in it; that's divvied up with CS, bug fixing, community feedback, autoer patrol and mass bannings, and development. Suppose they took out the community feedback part; would that prove to you that they're working harder or would that give you even more ammo?

If you think you're really that worthless, then why the hell haven't you left yet? If you feel that you could be replaced by ten brats, then what does that make you? Valuable? I don't know, I haven't seen you been a 'valuable' customer yet. But then again that's the typical buzz when it comes to most RS players; the "gimmie-more" attitude and when something takes just a little longer to get done, a tantrum ensues.

If November is your last straw with this game, why wait? Chances are you'd be disappointed with the BTS and grumble your way through another month.[/hide]

At last a descent,well thought, response to all the recent "Jagex are greedy basterds who dont care about their own game" posts.Thx Makoto.

I realy dont understand you people.if RS is such a "cesspool" with infantile community and pathetic graphic why not move on to a game which suits your intellectual needs.Deep down you know the answer.

Regarding the topic - well..thats total crap. No rational compony throw a way its moneymaker that fast.I assure you that a major portion of Jagex resources are still and will be, at least in the next few years, devoted to RS with its varios aspects.

You have a good theory here, and I agree with you. Why should they start over with a completly new game when they can change things in the old one so it becomes better?

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

You have a good theory here, and I agree with you. Why should they start over with a completly new game when they can change things in the old one so it becomes better?
If blizzard had done that with warcraft 1 we wouldnt have diablo, diablo 2, starcraft, broodwars ect.

Staying with one game will only stagnate the company in the end, if jagex wants to go scifi mmo im very interested in what they are going to create.

What decline? Oh you mean the consistent rise in the number of runescape players?

Also I can't believe you trust wikipedia so much. From American dad:

Stan: "If only there was a place where you could say the most outrageous claim about anything with absolutely no proof and people would take it as truth"

Steve: "I know" *goes on wikipedia*

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

They probably mean that Runescape might not be an attractive game in the future, it's theme wouldn't hold. And something of a science-fiction game would do better in the market of online RPGs.

I personally don't want to speculate about anything. But if Runescape has so many players, why would it hurt to work on a new project and new game?

They will never drop RS until the players drop it, it's as simple as that.

The game is a business and so long as it continues to gather huge numbers of players they will continue to support it.

They have been talking of a new game, and developing one for years and they are doing it for a reason. Jagex is a one product company, they require more products so that they can stay stable and not suddenly go out of businesses if their is an accident.

For that reason to drop RS would be a total swing round on the main reason the are making a new game...... stability.

sig2webzx7.jpg

Also I can't believe you trust wikipedia so much.

Jagex actually own all of these:

mechscape.com

mechscape2.com

mechscape.biz

mechscapecoin.com

mechscape.es

mechscape.biz

mechscape.co.uk

mechscape[LikelyScam]

mechscape.info

mechscape.mobi

mechscape.net

mechscaper.com

mechscape.org

mechscapecommunity.com

mechscapecredit.com

mechscapegold.com

mechscapeguide.com

mechscapehq.com

mechscapeinfinite.com

mechscape.info

mechscapemillions.com

mechscapemoderators.com

mechscapeproject.com

mechscaperealm.com

mechscapeshopping.com

mechscapetrades.com

mechscapetrading.com

mechscape.us

mechhq.com

Look on their whois results if you don't believe me.

Jagex actually own all of these:

mechscape.com

mechscape2.com

mechscape.biz

mechscapecoin.com

mechscape.es

mechscape.biz

mechscape.co.uk

mechscape[LikelyScam]

mechscape.info

mechscape.mobi

mechscape.net

mechscaper.com

mechscape.org

mechscapecommunity.com

mechscapecredit.com

mechscapegold.com

mechscapeguide.com

mechscapehq.com

mechscapeinfinite.com

mechscape.info

mechscapemillions.com

mechscapemoderators.com

mechscapeproject.com

mechscaperealm.com

mechscapeshopping.com

mechscapetrades.com

mechscapetrading.com

mechscape.us

mechhq.com

Look on their whois results if you don't believe me.

rofl...you tried all of them?

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

mechscapecredit.com

mechscapegold.com

mechscapemillions.com

:shock: ?

lol? weird. jagex selling gold to their own game-to-be?

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

mechscapecredit.com

mechscapegold.com

mechscapemillions.com

No, just them preventing someone from buying that domain name and selling it on for more when the game is the released/using it to illegally sell gold.

mechscapecredit.com

mechscapegold.com

mechscapemillions.com

No, just them preventing someone from buying that domain name and selling it on for more when the game is the released/using it to illegally sell gold.

yeah i know, i was jking

mechscapecredit.com

mechscapegold.com

mechscapemillions.com

No, it'll be so that, when MechScape does eventually come out, gold farmers can't get the most obvious website names.

You're a lot less likely to send real money to a geocities website than one this the above names, I think is the theory.

Goals to get my skills back up to a barely respectable level on the high scores:

mayjest.png

Currently going for Bone to Peaches spell. It's amazing how boring doing the same repetitive task is! Stupid MTA

From American dad:

Stan: "If only there was a place where you could say the most outrageous claim about anything with absolutely no proof and people would take it as truth"

Steve: "I know" *goes on wikipedia*

Wiki is a great place to start from... but ALWAYS cross-reference the Citations (which is what I did to find the trademark info)... no Citation - no Credibility!

TTFN

Try my fully-graphical

copper_forum.png

RuneScape Equipment Bonus Calculator

at http://www.copperdragon.org/

lets put it a nice way. You invest in a game. You decide you do not like it so you say taht it is falling apart.

It is your excuse for wanting to quit playing.

Alos Jagex are trying to deal with bots and they are slowly winning. Fish prices have rocketed if you had not noticed.

They are taking time to deal with bots so they are not giving us big updates. Its one or the other. It's what is called opportunity cost.

Just becuase they did not vhoose to do what you wanted does not mean you can say it is a pile of crap now etc...

live with it or quit. Nothing here is forcing you to continue playing runescape.

Alex_Ewan 1.png

Goals achieved: lvl 99 Cooking, Fishing and Fletching.

Surrey CC and Liverpool FC fan for life!

I searched the Whois details for mechscapemillions.com. This is what I managed to get:

[hide]WHOIS information for: mechscapemillions.com:

[whois.schlund.info]

domain: mechscapemillions.com

created: 15-May-2006

last-changed: 16-May-2007

registration-expiration: 15-May-2008

nserver: ns45.1and1.co.uk

nserver: ns46.1and1.co.uk

registrant-firstname: Constant

registrant-lastname: Tedder

registrant-organization: Jagex Ltd

registrant-street1: 11 Sturton St