lock please

ego_scorpion

sadly this thread got derailed too much

Post your thoughts here. Personally, im really worried, I am afraid that with the addition of grand exchange, or "world of warcraft version of auction house" merchanting will slowly die out and a lot of merchants will suffer.

Im really worried about this, but I may be wrong.

Game Name: Ego Scorpion

Party Hat Sets: 4

Bank Pictures: http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=712645&start=0

ego_scorpion.png

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is going to harm us on big selling items like Barrows and Whips because when people don't know the price, they'll probably look at the general exchange and sell for more or the same as everyone else is selling for. It'd be hard to buy underpriced items through this.

I've made a lot of my money by making deals with players who were unsure of the price of their item (like Elegant) but this will definitely change that.

icecube7.jpeg

World of warcraft isnt the only game with an auction house so [No Offensive Language ~Kill Life]

I don't think it will because it really depends on how people sell, if you wanted to sell something fast you would sell it a bit lower than everyone else's price, therefore someone would probably profit from it. Anyways.. It could, but its unlikely

starscapeyp6.jpg

Deviant Art Account

2 Signatures | 6 Photographs | 1 Other

Naw mate, merchants will still find a bargain... because there are two things people capitalise on while merchanting EG:

the time: sometimes people want to go pking with mates but dont have sharks or super sets, they may buy these for upto 5x the original price.

And also the time as in the seller wants quick cash in the bank which means that merchants can still capitalise on that and find something cheap in the players shops and buy.

But i'm uber happy cause no more AUTOTALKERS. YAY!!!!

Rejoice my friend!

lmao1nu3.jpg

Naw mate, merchants will still find a bargain... because there are two things people capitalise on while merchanting EG:

the time: sometimes people want to go pking with mates but dont have sharks or super sets, they may buy these for upto 5x the original price.

And also the time as in the seller wants quick cash in the bank which means that merchants can still capitalise on that and find something cheap in the players shops and buy.

But i'm uber happy cause no more AUTOTALKERS. YAY!!!!

Rejoice my friend!

Exactly what I think .

igsig.png

I think it will rather boost it.

I agree.

I also think it will make prices much more stable, but, initialy, when it is first released I would imagine it will make prices change a lot, particularly with things like logs where there are a lot of people buying ans selling, but nobody actually getting the items.

I also think some prices may rocket, to make the supply/demand more even.

It may also get rid of the need for permanent buyers.

Why not wait untill they bring out the update, before discussing? :?

We know almost nothing about it, and no-one besides Jagex knows what it'll be like.

well, a lot of people here have played games that use auction houses, and it's pretty clear from the bts how the system will work so there's still legitimate debate that can be made from what we know.

OT: i'll finally get round to clearing my bank of treasure trail stuff i couldnt be bothered to sell. :thumbsup:

i think it may push prices up on some things as people will be willing to put it in the house and wait for a sale instead of standing in w2 repeatedly typing, or maintaining a thread on the forums. At any rate, this looks like a great update.

red-mask-sig.gif?t=1238621802

MSSW4Banner.gif

Here is my #1 concern.

I buy my things in banks. I type extremely fast so I dont need some idiotic virus infected auto typer. So when im spamming bank on what all im buying and get things cheap there I make my profit.

But if everyone constantly takes all their stuff to the great exchange then the only thing a person can do is constantly scan the exchange in hopes of somebody selling something at a wrong price.

Great exchange will essentialy kill merchanting im afraid.

ego_scorpion.png

I dont consider w2 merchanting, thats just wasting time.

Im talking about real merchanting, little effort, lotsa profit :) Atleast, thats how it works for me and im afraid this update will kill it and with it my fun and desire to play.

ego_scorpion.png

This update is going to eliminate a lot of the arbitrage opportunities formerly used by merchants. Arbitrage meaning buying in one market and selling in another.

It will also get rid of people who make money by preying on those who don't know what items sell for, or who take advantage of others. That's a Good Thing.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Hopefully there will be no dupes or scams with this update when it comes out... -.-

i remember when another game, calld OUTWAR made its first trading block similar to it. i found a BIG BIG glitch in it.

you had to offer items with a 30% value to and from the other person item to even beable to recieve it. when this happened they had recently introduced worn items(not available previous to that) so the good items were very hard to get a hold of.

well, i ended up learning how to literally have the person willingly give you the item for free without another item.(sounds odd? but you could never give any1 anything for free) i ended up having some very decent stuff. and yea, dont play that game because it has no where near the quality of runescape and its full of glitches. like another time i stole 5 thousand(real american) dollars worth of points from the game.. and it took them 6months to figure it out. and you never suffer any type of consequence.

This update is going to eliminate a lot of the arbitrage opportunities formerly used by merchants. Arbitrage meaning buying in one market and selling in another.

It will also get rid of people who make money by preying on those who don't know what items sell for, or who take advantage of others. That's a Good Thing.

Good thing for who? maybe if you dont know prices thats a good thing for you, I know them and I use my knowledge and effort to make $, its not a good thing for me.

ego_scorpion.png

I believe there's a clear distinction between merchants who get paid to provide a service, and those who merely take advantage of others, or the inability of the current system to let buyers and sellers find each other.

The former are reasonable, because they effectively trade their time for money. The latter are simply vultures, and if a new update puts them out of business, it's good for the vast majority of players and for the game as a whole.

~q

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

I don't think it will ruin merchanting at all. But instead of sitting in world 2 now, merchants will be sitting in the exchange waiting for bargains so they can put those items up for higher prices.

I do see this as a potential problem for the rares market, though. People can only speculate on how many rares are currently in the market now, but when the exchange goes up and all of the sellers put their rares in there for sale I think the prices might go down some.

I don't think it will ruin merchanting at all. But instead of sitting in world 2 now, merchants will be sitting in the exchange waiting for bargains so they can put those items up for higher prices.

I think this is true to some extent, but it will have an impact on merchanting anyway. The new exchange is also going to greatly increase the liquidity of certain thin markets, which will make it more difficult for merchants to take advantage of the lone seller who needs cash fast, or the lone buyer who needs an item fast.

signew2.png