lock please

ego_scorpion

I don't see this being the absolute end to merchanting. Sure, merchanting could take a hit from this, but it's unlikely. If anything, this could bring in a whole new way to merchant. If you can set the price for what you're selling (which is probably how it works, or not), then it should just make merchanting easier. If you can only sell for a set price though, then merchanting will definetly live to see anouther day. We won't really know what impact it will have until the details come out. Just think about it for awhile.

Also, because of it's location, i'm pretty sure that cowhide merchanters won't be affected.

Ok, in my opinion, this will make merchanting a lot easier. And if it does mess up merchanting, I really don't care. Sorry, but thats my opinion, I have the right to my own, and everyone else has the right to theirs. I personally hate merchanting. There really isn't much of a point to it, and from my experiences, it's not fun at all. Newsflash: runescape is suppose to be fun. I don't really care if you're doin' alittle merchanting to buy that full set of dragon, but those people who do nothing but merchant? I don't know how they can have fun doing that! Apparently, a lot of people blame the ruining of the economy on merchanters too (not me) so I can't see why this Grand Exchange would be bad in any way at all, but it will probably be loaded with stuff, I hope Jagex has figured out a system of organization for this (search for the item maybe?), and it won't just be set up in a general store style.

Anyways, long story short: I think this will be a great update that will change runescape for the better, and won't have a large, if not, any impact on merchanting. Wow, glad I got that off my chest. In my opinion (oh no! I'm becoming an opinionated freak!!!!), i couldn't have just typed out my thoughts in afew sentences. Sorry to anyone who actually took the time to read all of this. (Wow, if only I typed my essays this fast!)

Penguin Power!

MSSW3sig.png

^The last great war of the Wilderness....

Yeah, I don't have a cool signature, so the MSSW3 sig will have to do....

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the comments here completely miss the mark. There are MANY types of merchanting. Some are perfectly honest and extremely valuable to the game. Others are not. You simply cannot generalize.

To those who denigrate merchanting: it arguably requires far more talent and dedication than leveling skills or PKing.

To the merchants who wonder why they are disliked: you guys are middlemen. People don't like middlemen, and try to cut them out whenever possible. That's part of what this update is about.

And having 10 billion in gold only matters to people who obsess over wealth. To me, going on about having four Burger King hat sets is about as meaningful as bragging that you have a solid gold toilet.

How this pans out depends entirely on how it is implemented, but I am inclined to believe that it will eliminate some of the less desirable forms of merchanting.

~q

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Most of the comments here completely miss the mark. There are MANY types of merchanting. Some are perfectly honest and extremely valuable to the game. Others are not. You simply cannot generalize.

To those who denigrate merchanting: it arguably requires far more talent and dedication than leveling skills or PKing.

To the merchants who wonder why they are disliked: you guys are middlemen. People don't like middlemen, and try to cut them out whenever possible. That's part of what this update is about.

And having 10 billion in gold only matters to people who obsess over wealth. To me, going on about having four Burger King hat sets is about as meaningful as bragging that you have a solid gold toilet.

How this pans out depends entirely on how it is implemented, but I am inclined to believe that it will eliminate some of the less desirable forms of merchanting.

~q

YUP :thumbsup:

Ego Scorpion: your name is apt, there was absolutely no call to BRAG about your legions of followers and masses of wealth.Edit: thats a bit savage but really having 10billion 'net' worth and loads of 'fans' doesn't make your merchanting 'respectable', for all we know your a scammer.

I have no problem with people merchanting I don't do it myself because i find it tedious and i genuinely don't think Jagex wanted or realised that people would be able to merchant the way they do now and this update seems to collaborate this. People will still be able to merchant stuff just in a more organised and less arbitrary fashion (see phat sellers and their 'tactics').

Edit2: I'll be very interested to see what format they use for this, will we for example be able to see all rune items for sale on one page and their prices, or all items segregated by price or something different?

Merchanting will suffer and benefit, depending on how good you are.

Good merchants will be able to flourish in this sort of environment, keeping an eye out for bargains. Bad merchants will quickly give up and either play the game in different areas or quit.

I can also see this system driving price changes quicker. It wouldn't cause a price change, but when something else affects a price change, the price will change a lot quicker than in the past. This is essentially because you are now competing with every single RS player, rather than just those in the area you are and on the same server (excl. forum sellers of course). But outside of external impacts to prices, I suspect that some item prices could be more stable.

Will be interesting to see ...

WARNING: Prone to ramble ... but you probably already know that!

truffoo.png

1% F2P : 99% RL

~q

when you can earn 1 burger king hat then you have a right to comment on them, but down talking something you will never have in a million years, despite wanting it or not is rather childish.

Game Name: Ego Scorpion

Party Hat Sets: 4

Bank Pictures: http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=712645&start=0

ego_scorpion.png

~q

when you can earn 1 burger king hat then you have a right to comment on them,

why do you talk?

since my IQ is obviously higher then all the moderators of this site and my post was locked. ill put it here.

This is the downfall of the RuneScape economy. As im sure you all have heard this system is very similar, if not the same thing as the auction house in world of warcraft. As a long time player of both games I can tell you a very fatal flaw of Jagex's system as they are stating it will do. On WoW there are auction houses for each server, with only a few thousand people, where only half of players can see one and half of players can see other (horde - alliance). What there is on WoW is sort of like merchanting through the AH (Auction house). The very few, very rich players on a server will find a particular item and buy out all of them at the prices set. They will then set all of them to much higher prices and continue to do this causing much inflation and raising prices of that item by a lot.

What RuneScape is going to do is cause this on a MUCH larger scale. Think about how many players play RuneScape, im sure in the millions. Lets give an example, lets say there are 30 dragon legs for sale, all around 1.5 mill each. A very rich player comes along, buys all, and puts them all back up for lets say 4 mill each. Rich players can sit there all day manipulating prices of MILLIONS OF PEOPLE, EVERYBODY ON RUNESCAPE. Not just a few thousand people per server. People will come along who want to sell there dragon legs and see its 4 million each. They will then in turn put their set of dragon legs for 4 million each. Everybody will follow who wants to sell there d legs once they see how much they THINK it increased.

What I think Jagex needs to do is rethink this, and I feel the best way to avoid this very problematic issue is to make the Grand Exchange, but a seperate one on each server.

Discuss your thoughts about this.

Free.png

@Dragonseance #1 to 200m all.

www.twitter.com/dragonseance

~q

when you can earn 1 burger king hat then you have a right to comment on them, but down talking something you will never have in a million years, despite wanting it or not is rather childish.

z0mg peehats stink!

icecube7.jpeg

lets see how u feel when you go to buy an item normally 1 mill and its at 3 mill+

you people honestly need to think

yes, because i buy things from players...

the fact is, this could happen. but i dont really need anything from players anymore.

if you feel this is going to happen(any1 who reads this) go out and EARN money to buy what you desire before this update happens. perhaps you could even double or tripple your profit as phat says.

~q

You are taking this whole thing too personally, any player could dedicate themselves to getting a phat by merchanting/skilling/pking/dueling in a year or two, faster depending on the method/time dedicated/internet connection(a slick internet connection that very rarely crashes is a massive advantage for EVERYTHING in Runescape).

Edit: Actually thats false, because their are only a finite amount of Phats left, but any player could make the money required to buy a phat(at current prices) in a year or so if that was their only goal and they were dedicated, its not like your doing anything incredibly difficult, just something thats not desirable (the reason bin collectors are payed ~ 50k a year in my country, its not because its hard its because few people are willing to do it, same goes for tube/train drivers).

I, personally, will be glad to have a way to sell my treasure trail items without having to stand in a crowded bank, and re-type what I am selling repeatedly. I hate doing that, I'd rather be doing other things in game. Also, it will be nice to be able to go to the Grand Exchange, and perhaps find what I want to buy, also without having to stand in a crowded bank, retyping what I'm buying. I am looking forward to it.

merlina30.png

My prediction is that at first it'll be used a lot but after a month everyone will stop using it because people will be putting the prices way too high for fun :|

Guitar_by_Lemeja123.jpg

Bye-bye merchanting.

Hello being able to buy/sell items for a fair price without massive effort.

I think that only stupid people will be taken advantage of by price manipulators. Sure you could try and sell d legs for 4M, but as long as no one is stupid enough to cave that person would be forced to reduce his/her price eventually.

Keep in mind Jagex isn't going to delete the normal trading system :roll:

Hmmm.... I hope it does. I cant sell 1 item on the forum without like 2 or 3 people asking for a way lower price <.< I just want to sell my stuff for the right price :!: Lol.

Hopefully this will help people and no big bugs come from it :ohnoes:

I think it's Jagex's response to the player-owned-shops that people have been wanting for several years. A good idea I think.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...

This is the truth!

This is my belief!

...at least for now.

"The Mystery of Life"

Vol. 841, Ch. 26

I hate how soooo many people are pessimistic about this update.

All jagex is doing is creating an update that uses common sence.

It makes a hell of a lot more sence to have an exchange room where things have fixed prices, and you can buy whatever you want, then having to get in a specific world, then yell out what your buying/selling 1000s of times before you get a response.

You don't HAVE to use this update either, it just helps people who want to buy/sell things more EFFICIENTLY.

So stop being so negative and pessimistic <.< , and props for jagex =D>

Why not wait untill they bring out the update, before discussing? :?

We know almost nothing about it, and no-one besides Jagex knows what it'll be like.

He makes a point there.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

Naw mate, merchants will still find a bargain... because there are two things people capitalise on while merchanting EG:

the time: sometimes people want to go pking with mates but dont have sharks or super sets, they may buy these for upto 5x the original price.

And also the time as in the seller wants quick cash in the bank which means that merchants can still capitalise on that and find something cheap in the players shops and buy.

But i'm uber happy cause no more AUTOTALKERS. YAY!!!!

Rejoice my friend!

..... you can rejoice because of w2, but....... i hate to break ur heart...

AUTO TYPERS AT THE GRAND EXCHANGE!!

emofury1.gif <--- free rs guides by me lawl

Rip emofury 11/20/07

newbankofrsyq0.gif

Naw mate, merchants will still find a bargain... because there are two things people capitalise on while merchanting EG:

the time: sometimes people want to go pking with mates but dont have sharks or super sets, they may buy these for upto 5x the original price.

And also the time as in the seller wants quick cash in the bank which means that merchants can still capitalise on that and find something cheap in the players shops and buy.

But i'm uber happy cause no more AUTOTALKERS. YAY!!!!

Rejoice my friend!

..... you can rejoice because of w2, but....... i hate to break ur heart...

AUTO TYPERS AT THE GRAND EXCHANGE!!

Didn't you read the bts? You put your items up for sale and then possible buyers buy from you without any contact whatsoever.

There will be no typing involved.

my take on it is it's just like the sale house thing on forza 2, or on test drive unlimited on xbl, where you buy cars that are unique or tuned...

now, this can be used by some people to x-fer money from a main to a noob account, in which i hope J mods are watching over this, or make a new p-mod that moderates the trades that goes on and watches for phoney trades that go on like 1 feather for 1mill....

or other stuff like that, that way funds dont get x-fered...

i think this is a brilliant idea IMO, finally, i have a way of getting though to people without having to spam "selling item x x ammount of geepees sparky1"

it gets annoying, even on my comfy ergonomic keyboard.

i hope they make an option to sell in x ammounts, that way say someone is selling 30k nats/laws, they can set an option to only sell in incriments of 500-1k at a time, that way whenever they make a sale, it will deduct the ammount of runes they put in there, instead of having one person buy all of them..

ALSO, another great idea i had is a group item pool, where there will be x items in the price range between X and Y, and there will be a bunch of peoples items in there that are assigned numbers like @ a sec of state, or anyplace that has those tickets with numbers on them, so when someone buys at that price, they will know who gets theirs sold first, like a que line.

this will make it easier to see what prices are the market norms and such.

same goes for runes...

give everyone a que number for ever say.... 1k runes they put into it and put it all in one big pool, like in a general store where you see 100k willow longs, well, there'll be 100k+ nats sitting there, to see where the prices sit for people who are selling...

i personally think that would be a great addition, and that way if it was based on random selection of whose item to sell, no one gets mad on how their item hasnt been picked for X months...

Also, i would only like to see this on items that have lets say over 50k in stock, like runes, arrows, and maybe dragon items that are fairly common, but traded enough for alot to be on the market at once.

this way it makes it easy to browse through the selections, instead of being like ohh, look, another set of 1k natures for sale.... scroll scroll scroll... look, more natures..... 5 frikin pages of natures...

but this is all my personal opinion, pick it apart and make it better if you so please, but dont flame me for my own personal opinions...

since my IQ is obviously higher then all the moderators of this site and my post was locked. ill put it here.

This is the downfall of the RuneScape economy. As im sure you all have heard this system is very similar, if not the same thing as the auction house in world of warcraft. As a long time player of both games I can tell you a very fatal flaw of Jagex's system as they are stating it will do. On WoW there are auction houses for each server, with only a few thousand people, where only half of players can see one and half of players can see other (horde - alliance). What there is on WoW is sort of like merchanting through the AH (Auction house). The very few, very rich players on a server will find a particular item and buy out all of them at the prices set. They will then set all of them to much higher prices and continue to do this causing much inflation and raising prices of that item by a lot.

What RuneScape is going to do is cause this on a MUCH larger scale. Think about how many players play RuneScape, im sure in the millions. Lets give an example, lets say there are 30 dragon legs for sale, all around 1.5 mill each. A very rich player comes along, buys all, and puts them all back up for lets say 4 mill each. Rich players can sit there all day manipulating prices of MILLIONS OF PEOPLE, EVERYBODY ON RUNESCAPE. Not just a few thousand people per server. People will come along who want to sell there dragon legs and see its 4 million each. They will then in turn put their set of dragon legs for 4 million each. Everybody will follow who wants to sell there d legs once they see how much they THINK it increased.

What I think Jagex needs to do is rethink this, and I feel the best way to avoid this very problematic issue is to make the Grand Exchange, but a seperate one on each server.

Discuss your thoughts about this.

wow mr high and mighty come down from your high chair.

but yeah you do have a point but im sure the stocks will come in and out at suchs rates that maybe that will be impossible or maybe jagex will introduce measures that will stop people doing that. i think that when you put something in and it doesnt sell for x amount of days then it goes back into your bank, therefore if people leave buy "dragon legs" for x amount of days this merchanter will be stuck with 20+ dragon platelegs.

or perhap you can only have a certain amount of items at any one time, i suppose we will just have to see

PS: learn to pk *looks at your sig*

I really enjoy how most people think Jagex has put absolutely NO thought into this update at all. As if they haven't been around since the beginning and some schmuck who has been playing the game for 3 years and has level 99s across the board would know more about the economy. Jagex is going to realease this update that has most likely been thought out for a VERY long time no matter what John Q. Runescaper has to say about it.

There is a reason behind EVERY update.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

This update won't hurt merchanting at all. What it most likely will do is make life hard an scammers ( not a bad thing ) and make shopping around for any given item a lot faster. It could also stabilize the prices in many items. Prices will go up for a lot of things when the update first comes out, but the market will determine the ultimate price of an item in the long run. The system we have now is one where most people go to fan sites like tip.it and look an item up. The problem with that is this. Web site #1 says my shield is worth 800k, but web site #2 says it's worth 2mil and web site #3 says it's 4mil, which one is right? What seems to be coming would make finding a accurate price a simple mater of comparison shopping. And you wouldn't have to try to read through 300 chat messages per minute to do it.

Just my outlook. Your mileage may vary..

***Happily poking bears, kicking cubs and petting bobcats since 1967***

eagleglobeanchorke1.gifc975dbbbcb.png eagleglobeanchorke1.gif

violent069oe7.gif Who says smileys are always happy? gunfight32zm4.gifmortarox0.gif