lock please

ego_scorpion

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Consider this scenario:

The Grand Exchange is introduced, it works as intended and the players love it. They start offering up all sorts of items to try to find a wider market.

Let's suppose people are confident enough to start putting their rares up - phats, santas, masks... the whole bit.

What's to stop Jagex from buying them?

Player gets his asking price for his white phat.

Jagex gets another rare out of the game.

Both parties are happy.

Sure, it drops a lot of gold into the marketplace. But if Jagex ever wanted to remove a lot of rares from people who wanted to part with them and be well compensated... it's would be an excellent opportunity.

They could even make items untradable between players and only negotiable through the Grand Exchange.

Not that I believe it's going to go down that way... I'm just sayin' it could.

For one, I don't think Jagex knows their game well enough to figure that out. Secondly, I do not think they will be able to use the shop to buy players' items... Seeing as their accounts are currently configured so that the server prevents them from trading with other players.

td2sig.jpg

The Grand Exchange won't really work to well. People will put ashes and random junk up for sale which will clog up the marketplace.

The real reason I think JAGeX implemented this is to help stop the auto-talkers.

j0xPu5R.png

The Grand Exchange won't really work to well. People will put ashes and random junk up for sale which will clog up the marketplace.

The real reason I think JAGeX implemented this is to help stop the auto-talkers.

I think Jagex would be smart enough to develop some kind of organizational system.,, :-w

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

What's to stop Jagex from buying them?

The number of rares disappearing from the game would be noticed quickly. The prices of the remaining ones would skyrocket, defeating the entire point of the process.

If Jagex wanted rares out of the game they could take them out by just replacing them all with some amount of cash or whatnot. They don't need to resort to trickery.

~q

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

*disclaimer-it is very eraly in the morning expect to see many spelling mistakes.*

after read countless post on rsof i decided to share my exp in the auction house area.

merchants you will be fine i made tons of money using the auction house system. if this is a bid/buyout system rejoice even more take this for example.

player A puts up a whip up at 1.4m BO however without thinking he puts a bid of only 200k. all you, the merchant have to do is wait and watch as the whip might not sell at 1.4m.for the sake of the example lets assume the item is put up for 12 hours.(if the owner can take the item off the GE this would affect you) most ppl wouldnt be on RS for various reasons 12 hours later. now you the merchanter just wait till the last second and bid like mad to get it then resell it.

the average joe playing the game will enjoy this update aswell..... o right you wanna know why.basically you throw up your items on the GE and you are free to go do w.e u want. the more time you can skill/pk/pvm the more cash u can get in a day.

what about the newb who may not understand how much that zammy cloak is from that clue scroll? due to being able to see the general price of your items you can sell for the right price getting more cash in your pocket

heres somethings i could forsee due to the GE update.

1.more raw materials in the system due to less selling time

2.merchants willl have a rought time till the understand the new merching way.

3.waaaay less hand joint prblms for those poor ppl who actually typed out everyword when they merched.

then again alot of this is just speculation untill one knows exactly how its all going to be like no1 can tell you and be 100% accurate.

*drinks anit-fire pot* ...just incase.

Hi Ego.... ;)

Keeping it short here:

- The Grand Exchange (Auction System) is the long required update to the formerly extremely primitive trading system in RuneScape.

- I can only say well done to Jagex - they finally put their game on par with all the other trading systems used in other MMO's, perhaps they even surpass a few others by making the Auction System "World Wide" as well as "Server Wide". I would have LOVED this update back in the days...

- Merchants should be able to adapt to the new and different situation that they will face. Various things will certainly change and profit margins are bound to become lower.

- Those who can't adapt, are rubbish merchants and not worthy of the title merchant in the first place. Good merchants can make money in any market, no matter whether profit margins are large or small, whether prices are rising or falling, whether trade volume is high or low or whether the environment provides a stone-age primitive trading system or a more advanced, transparent, comfortable and easy to use Auction System.

So again: well done Jagex. Enjoy it - I don't say that too often without attaching strings. ;)

~Duke Freedom

Lol, just went on the RSOF and saw some, no A LOT, of topics about the death of merchants due to this and the economy crashing and whatnot.

One 500+ post thread was interesting and about a similar topic, how will it affect merchanting. After reading several pages, I found it was mostly flaming. Goes to show you how immature they are over there ^_^.

IT seems to me like the people in the RSOF start freaking out about "Economy Crashing" with every update...Ill bet half of the 10 and udner year olds on that forum don't even know what "economy" is <.<

i don't see how it will. You can still go buy something cheaply, then sell it on the grand exchange, just as you would the forums. The way i see it, the grand exchange kills merchanting just as much as the forums do.

For a long time merchants are complaining that people donÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâôt give them the credit they believe they deserve. IÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâôd say the merchants that actually ÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâôskilledÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâô will still be able to make money with this new update, especially from people like me who like to get rid of random items obtained from treasure trails (pages are a pain to sell sometimes) and monster drops (lots of slayer monsters drop useful but hard-to-sell stuff) to clean their banks

Apart from the whole debate; I don't really care about the whining people affraid of losing their favorite 'skill', I still consider merchanting extremely lame, especially when people do it just to gain more pixels while they already have plenty.

Knight_Simon.gif

It'll depend a LOT on if the 'grand exchange' charges for having the item up for auction and/or takes a % cut out of the amount you sell it for. Merchanting will be a lot harder either way because prices will become MUCH more stable as people will keep putting up items at consistant prices.

Back after 3 years.

jooely.png

Well said Duke!

This is hardly a calamity. I have been waiting for a trade update like this for years. Don't panic, just wait until we have a "real" (as in coded in the game) market. It will be great. :P :mrgreen:

- Those who can't adapt, are rubbish merchants and not worthy of the title merchant in the first place. Good merchants can make money in any market, no matter whether profit margins are large or small, whether prices are rising or falling, whether trade volume is high or low or whether the environment provides a stone-age primitive trading system or a more advanced, transparent, comfortable and easy to use Auction System.

I never merchanted so I wouldn't know but for sure our current player market is ridiculous and filled with annoying auto-typers. This update can only be an improvement.

I never merchanted so I wouldn't know but for sure our current player market is ridiculous and filled with annoying auto-typers. This update can only be an improvement.

I think I can safely say my most fun time merchanting in RS was during the 3-4 month period at the start of RS2 that the prices of all rares were dropping and eventually all lost 50% of their value. There were few merchants around on the market at the time and none of them really knew how to trade in such a market. I thanked quite a bit of my fortune from making various good deals during that time and investing all my cash when the bottom price level was reached... :P

To be honest I don't really expect the Fally W2 and Varrock W1 markets to completely disappear due to this update, although the amount of people there may diminish significantly.

But even that will depend quite a bit on how the Grand Exchange will work exactly - if there will be any "transaction" fees like 1% of the value that is sold then it is already a fact that the more expensive items and rares won't be sold in there (at least not by merchants).

Judging from another game I played, which had some sort of exchange system too, I would say it only makes a merchants life easier and more convenient. It also improves the total market merchants can reach, since the system will be working world wide as well as server wide. Perhaps it will make material trading for the richer merchants much more interesting again, as the past few years most of them only seemed to trade rares anymore.

Anyway, I don't think it will be all that hard for most merchants to adapt to the upcomming trading system. People around here are way too afraid of changes and enhancements to the game's mechanics, while they should actually be excited about them.

Ofc it's not at all hard to adapt to a new system, but wether you're a good merchant or the worst, fact is the grand exchange will most likely make prices more stable and make it a lot harder to merchant anything so there is going to be less profit in it. EVERYONE will be more aware about prices and not only is there less chance to get conned, but much more options to buy from, people will be undercutting eachother in prices a lot.

Back after 3 years.

jooely.png

I HOPE it will... Merchating stinks, and it would make people alot more easier buying and selling stuff, it would make auto-talkers pointless, which means less macroers \'

lergo.png

98% Of teenagers surround their minds with rap music, if you're part of the 2% that stayed with rock, put this in your signature, ROCK IS BETTER!

Just pointing a few things out.

The post from Jagex says nothing about the Grand Exchange being an auction system. It says "the ability to offer items to buy and sell across ALL servers and to ALL players", it dose not say auction. So why assume it will be? :?:

The next point is percentage issue. The post says nothing about that. Again, why assume we'll have to pay anything? :-k

Lastly the anti rare item conspiracy theory. If Jagex wanted to get rid of party hats and the like, they could do it in minutes by just deleting the code from the game and saying it was all just a bad idea. Or they could make them all un-tradable. Or they could just buy them all up and end them that way. Why would they spend all the time and money on a new update as large and complex as a network wide exchange system? :wall:

***Happily poking bears, kicking cubs and petting bobcats since 1967***

eagleglobeanchorke1.gifc975dbbbcb.png eagleglobeanchorke1.gif

violent069oe7.gif Who says smileys are always happy? gunfight32zm4.gifmortarox0.gif

good points lux.

and if there ever was a good time to make discontinued items untradeable it would be upon introduction of a huge trading update like the Grand Exchange. While people are ranting and raving about non-tradeable dc items, there will be a larger group of players learning and adjusting to the Grand Exchange with compliments and criticisms about the new trading system. So kind of an opportune time to make that, "we've also made dc items untradeable" update. i wouldnt be surprised if it did happen that way.

[hide=-this is my signature- guides i've written]full list is at the top of <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754">viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754</a><!-- l -->[/hide]

fact is the grand exchange will most likely make prices more stable and make it a lot harder to merchant anything so there is going to be less profit in it

There is nothing "factual" about that it will be harder to merchant nor that there will be less profit to make for them.

EVERYONE will be more aware about prices and not only is there less chance to get conned, but much more options to buy from, people will be undercutting eachother in prices a lot.

If a "merchant" his main income is to be derived from ripping off people who have a bad understanding of the actual prices then he doesn't fall under my notion of "good" merchants at all. Indeed, this update will make their money making business much more difficult. I don't think anyone should be caring too much about that whatsoever though.

As I said: profit margins are bound to become smaller (which is negative for merchants), but market reach will be MUCH wider (which is positive for merchants as turnover / liquidity improves).

But then again, a lot still remains subject to the EXACT workings of the exchange and it is far too early to conclude any definite impacts yet.