lock please

ego_scorpion

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be so convenient to the point that I have no pity for the merchants. It will greatly soothe selling/buying, especially since our current system of yelling and fighting to be noticed can be frustrating.

Even though at first glance, the Grand Exchange may seem to ruin merchanting, I think it'll actually help merchanting a lot. You can stay at the Grand Exchange and wait until somebody prices something at a low price, snag it, and resell it later. Also, when you are reselling the item, instead of spamming the same line over and over again to sell things in w2 or w1 (depending on if you are a member), you can just price your item and go do something else. After this update, I think there will actually be more merchants than before-merchanting will be so much easier.

That's what I think at least, I wonder how it's actually going to turn out?

:?

fighterhwk.png

I'm gonna be glad, because that should just completely destroy the market. I also can't stand merchanters. Make money legitly, not by sitting there going "selling stuff"

Off Topic:so sellin an item you got from a barrows trip or a treasure trsil isnt legit. :-k stop me if im wrong but if what you said is true then people that need quick cash or are trying to empty thier bank are evil. If thats true then call me the anti-christ. :twisted:

On topic: seriously though i cant wait for this update. i get junk i never use stuck in my bank and i dont drop it cause its worth something. It should help clear the clutter and make people money without taking time they could be spending playing.

wailord.png

If you choose your beliefs/lifestyle simply based on what your parents want, then you are a weak minded individual and are not even worthy of calling yourself a person.

I'm glad it's coming out and I hope it does ruin merchanting because it is a stupid way to make money and I'm tired of seeing level 3's wearing party hats. Jagex I hope you ruin merchanting because then I'll praise you until Jesus returns to earth.

cheeseman896.png

cheeseman896.png

I for one think this will be great, most people probobly wont want to go to the grand exchange(which is somewhere north of varrock) so instead they will just go to cammy bank as always and there will still be merchanting , and for those people who do exchange they can go have fun while there items are traded away.

~1qazxcvbn~

p.s. my name rocks \' easy to type, fun to say (if memorized, after typing 1000 times thats easy...)... \' i love this smile too \' , am i still talking?

1qazxcvbn.png

1qazxcvbn.png

1qazxcvbn.png

Efficient markets are almost always more fair and more convenient for everyone. The Grand Exchange should make the RuneScape economy more efficient, which is a good thing overall. Although a few people might lose their advantage, it is a greater good kind of thing.

Secondly, has anybody thought that the exchange might make it easier for Jagex to track movement of autoed materials? It seems it might be easier to do this way. That'd be another big improvement.

o_knames.png

Maxed total levels

Remaining for Completionist Cape: Livid Farm spell (Borrowed Power)

Interesting topic, at first when I saw this I thought "Yay, no more merchants or standing in world 2!" and thats true to a certain extent but it won't end merchanting in any ways. I don't think merching will ever end..just like scamming and autoing won't. I think theres obviously gonna A LOT of people searching through sales looking for low priced items and then selling them for higher (espicially at the beginning). But I think it will be a GREAT update because of the fact people can leave items there (no more standing around typing continuously :D ), it will be across all servers, and it will make selling certain items a lot easier all in all. I think the prices at the beginning of the update might be really off, at least until it settles down, but I think most people will stick to the world 2 prices for the most part. The only real worry besides that is the price fluctuation thats gonna occur..people are gonna put up items according to other peoples prices which means some might keep lowering their prices. Imo, it should be a good update and it'll impact merchanting but I think thats for the best in most cases. A lot of merchants just basically scam people ( not always the case) and take advantage of them and even rip off the people who actully worked for they're items. Hopefully it'll be good. :thumbsup:

I'm not a merchant. I've bought and sold a few items in W2, but I try to avoid it because of the hassle of logging on, finding a buyer or seller and determining what the price should be in order to maximize the exchange in my favor (whether that means saving me time or gold). Take this with a grain of salt if you wish, but telling you people how the update will affect me may give you some insight how it will affect merchants.

As I see it, there are three possibilities for the Grand Exchange.

1. [*:3cw0af94]The Bulletin Board System

[*:3cw0af94]The Stock Market System

[*:3cw0af94]The Auction System

The Bulletin Board

Description

With this system, sellers post an item and a price much like on a forum.

Affect on me

This system is closest to what we have existing. Right now, you can go to W2 fally and see a number of people selling items and announcing prices. With this update, I can go to one location, see a list of people selling the item(s) and buy the cheapest or sell mine for slightly less so someone will scarf it up and I get the cash quick.

Possible Merchant effects

Now instead of hanging out in W2 fally, you can hang out in the Exchange. If you buy quick, I'll sell my cheap wares, and you can mark them up and repost them. If I'm buying, the chances are no-one's going to be posting cheap in the short time I'm there (and if they do, you've got more practice buying quickly than me).

The Stock Market

Description

Slightly more advanced than the Bulletin Board, this adds the ability to place 'buy' orders, i.e. buy 'X' &/or 'all' of an item.

Affect on me

I don't see this being any different than the bulletin board in it's effect on me. I can still go to one location, see a list of people selling the item(s) and buy the cheapest or sell mine for slightly less so someone will scarf it up and I get the cash quick.

Merchants may actually like this one. You can go back to fally and continue doing what you have been or do something else entirely (imagine merchanting while you WC). Just check in every so often to move your stock from "bought" to "selling."

The Auction

Description

The seller places their item(s) up for public auction, possibly with a minimum bid &/or a 'buy it now' option.

Effect on me

This has it's ups and downs. Prices will tend to reflect the true market value of the item(s), but it will make getting cash quick for the seller and getting the item(s) quick for the buyer prohibitive. I'll probable sell the items collection digital dust in my back using this method, but if I need a super set to kill the last monster in a quest I'm doing, I'll be looking for it in W2 fally.

I can see this going either way. A lot of items people are sitting on because the time to sell it at market value is a couple hours are going to suddenly flood on the market. Got 100 red chins? Sell them now or wait a couple months! I see whips and the like going on the auction and getting about what their selling for now. Godswords? Forget it. They are going to be outrageous.

Keep in mind, I'm not a merchant, so I have no real way to predict how this will affect merchants. I do have an idea how they might affect me, and maybe the several posts criticizing this one will provide more insight.

der+enic.png

That's awesome, that's all I have to say.

Pros:

No more hassle getting into world 2

No more lagging while making a trade

No more auto typers

We can trade anyone on any world!

Cons:

Prices might fall. People will be eager to use the new system, more sellers, means prices fall.

.. That's all I can think of at 11 at night. : o

Sounds good, I might have to try this out for a few items. :)

I'm glad it's coming out and I hope it does ruin merchanting because it is a stupid way to make money and I'm tired of seeing level 3's wearing party hats. Jagex I hope you ruin merchanting because then I'll praise you until Jesus returns to earth.

You sound like an idiot. Just being honest. :mrgreen:

Epee-Signature-2.png

Hmm... This may seem strange, but do you think the prices of Monkfish will be affected by this, or are they not important enough to feel any changes?

enex2sigjpegkm3.jpg

Do you hate Wyverns or Warped Terrorbirds? Think again! Misunderstood Monsters!

Want to become a Champion of Champions like I once was? Champion Scroll Guide!

Feeling Bored? List of Sidequests

Rare Drops: Dragon Sq Half : 1, Dragon Med : 2, Dragon Claws : 2, Dragon Legs : 1, Dragon Boots : 60+, Granite Legs: 8

Hmm... This may seem strange, but do you think the prices of Monkfish will be affected by this, or are they not important enough to feel any changes?

Monkfish psh, monk fish b for newbs :P

I think the prices might change slightly, just a little bit. Up or Down cant say.

Epee-Signature-2.png

This will probably be the end of fish/mining/fletching ect. shops as now the resource gatherers need not use a middle man. Plus, there will be more supplies of most resources as instead of someone having to spend time selling the resources, they can now quickly put them up for sale and keep getting more. Prices will probably drop, but it should be quicker to gather items.

listen guys and girls this update is going to likly decrese merchanting but world 2 will still be alive and funtioning because they will sell big or little items that arn't worth selling in the grand exchange also i am bad at merchanting so i think this is a good thing also THERE WILL STILL BE AUTO TALKERS!!!!!!!!!!

If you are reading this i hate you...

listen guys and girls this update is going to likly decrese merchanting but world 2 will still be alive and funtioning because they will sell big or little items that arn't worth selling in the grand exchange also i am bad at merchanting so i think this is a good thing also THERE WILL STILL BE AUTO TALKERS!!!!!!!!!!

There'll still be, just less.

drapit.png

Of course it'll kill merchanting. There will be tons of rants, jagex will nerf it somehow, then everyone will forget about the "big update" next year. The forums and trade will decline too, until its demise when everyone goes to the GE.

I'm excited about the update. I can throw all the stuff I don't want into the GE and not do any work to sell it. *Looks at signature* I've been trying to sell those for two and a half months.

I would put a cool link here but I don't know how.

I believe there's a clear distinction between merchants who get paid to provide a service, and those who merely take advantage of others, or the inability of the current system to let buyers and sellers find each other.

The former are reasonable, because they effectively trade their time for money. The latter are simply vultures, and if a new update puts them out of business, it's good for the vast majority of players and for the game as a whole.

~q

For instance, merchants who buy dragonhides and tan them to resell for a better price.

shoelacesareuntiedti8.jpg

Proud owner of a Quest cape!

I think:

Of course it will change merchanting, but perhaps merchanting will become something that does not take forever and is reserved to rich noobs, but it will be something that slayer and crafters can participate in. Hopefully that will mean that us crafters and slayers won't be continuously ripped off by merchanters who are making considerably more money without actually making anything - but just by manipulating prices in such a way that it rips off everyone except themselves.

Now don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with normal merchanting as a concept, but it just seems like most of "them" first want to scam you and if that fails, 'just' rip you off with evil prices.

On the other hand, perhaps the Exchange will be flooded by merchanters with evil prices, instead of honest crafters and slayers trying to sell their loot/products and trying to buy new materials/food, and then the merchanters might make money even faster than before - atleast the relatively honest non-scamming ones, because it's fairly hard to scam an Exchange (right?).

Change is not always bad, IMO there is something seriously wrong with merchanting in RuneScape and the Exchange might just change that - for better or worse, we'll have to see.

harold_king.png

Playing RS since Nov. 2002 (but with various breaks)