lock please

ego_scorpion

So, anyway, I play a game called Ragnarok, where merchanting is a kind of skill...well, there it is called "vending." As you raise your lvl, the amount of items that you can vend at one time goes up as well...

This is just one example, but does anyone think that there will be any safegaurds like this?

It strikes me that it makes it much easier for botters to sell their raw materials...

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it will certainly be easier to sell items, although you may not be able to get the money wanted however much it is. It might completly undermine the value of certain items, but we'll have to see.

They probably have an option where you can put in a minimum price offer so that you can have a certain amount of money guaranteed. We just don't know enough about it yet.

A lot of people haven't really noticed the point that the Grand Exchange won't be the only place to sell items, nor indeed will it be made compulsory to trade there.

It will definitely have some kind of an impact on merchants, although I personally find the scaremongering of some of the merchants on here a little excessive. It may be that the popular items for merchanting will decrease in value as there is more on the general market, but at the same time this won't apply to EVERY item... Perhaps merchants should be more willing to be flexible after this update, having found out what items don't get sold very often in the exchange. It might not be much but i'm sure world 2 won't be deserted just for the sake of the exchange.

Personally I think the exchange will be great - i've always been a shocking and impatient merchant, preferring instead to post on forums and wait for responses whilst doing other things. Hopefully the exchange will simply bring the market forums into being part of the game, rather than dramatically altering bank sales.

I don't think it will be very long before the better merchants find a way to exploit the exchange, either by fixing prices or some other means. I don't have a problem with that. Any merchant who isn't breaking the rules/acting in an immoral fashion is fine in my eyes. Maybe the exchange will break the back of the dishonest minority who have earnt merchanting such a bad name... Who knows?!

It won't be perfect, but I doubt it'll be a failure. And Jagex wouldn't have designed it to destroy merching etc, as they are well enough informed to know that merching is a popular money-making tactic. Let's just sit tight and see what comes out of it. If it's shocking, nobody will use it!

as soon as i read it, i saw the flaw to me and my many other merchanters

i notice that there is always someone selling cheaper

now if the grand market does come up then buyers will see some one selling say pure seets for 7k, they'll skip on it to see if there is a better deal. i think that thegrand market shows you how many of the items that person has, so if someone is selling 10 sets of something, a buyer will know that it'll still be there if that buyer cant find anything cheaper

so like i was trying to say we will get alot less buyers because there is always someone selling it for lower, like a person who wants to get rid of their stuff in the bank by selling it low, so low that us merchanters wont gain any money.

yewbotssmallqu7.png

siggy6yx3.png

these are my views on it:

A merchant will be affected on it.

A pker will have his life made easier.

And skiller will have his life made easier too.

I don't know how the prices are going to be affected. If they are going up (I don't think it will) then if it affects air runes that way Im back in bussiness. If it's the other way, then man am I going to hate this update.

Seriously, Infinite stocks killed world 16. What can I do with that? Thank god that the prices of rune ess and giving to runners has also changed...

Im not a merchant, so I don't care about merchants. It's not even a skill tbh, though they keep prices up....

22031_s.gif

It won't ruin merchanting but I guarantee it will be a few months to allow for prices to stabilize due to it. Usually the max users on at one specific time is around 200k+. Now imagine the amount of people on at one time increases to 500k+, essentially this is what is happening except it is in correlation to the amount of sellers on at one time.

Since many more players items will be available for purchase, even when they aren't logged in, it increases the total amount of items available for purchase in the game at one time, which will in turn lower the demand for items.

~ Arcane Rift ~

:: 99 Smithing - 2007-03-04 ::

::
:: 99 Crafting - 2007-06-18 :: 99 Fletching - 2007-08-27 ::

:: 99 Strength - 2009-05-28 ::

:: 99 Prayer - 2011-11-27 ::
:: 99 Slayer - 2012-01-15 ::

:: 99 Summoning - 2012-12-07 :: 99 Firemaking - 2012-12-09 :: 99 Woodcutting - 2013-01-17 :: 99 Mining - 2013-01-31 ::

Since many more players items will be available for purchase, even when they aren't logged in.....

Do we know this for sure? I don't remember seeing anything specific in the BTS article. Time will tell I guess.

chumley.png

It is an assumption, but I can't imagine every time you logout that your items are taken down from the GE. That would create way too many headaches with people constantly having to re-list their items everytime they login/out and cause the GE to become irrelevant. Perhaps they will remain for an extended period of time (12 - 24 hours seems to be a reasonable guess) and if no one purchases the item they will be pulled from the selling database.

~ Arcane Rift ~

:: 99 Smithing - 2007-03-04 ::

:: 99 Crafting - 2007-06-18 :: 99 Fletching - 2007-08-27 ::

:: 99 Strength - 2009-05-28 ::

:: 99 Prayer - 2011-11-27 ::
:: 99 Slayer - 2012-01-15 ::

:: 99 Summoning - 2012-12-07 :: 99 Firemaking - 2012-12-09 :: 99 Woodcutting - 2013-01-17 :: 99 Mining - 2013-01-31 ::

So what if it kills merching? Make money by playing the game. I can't imagine anybody wouldn't miss the occasional bargain but if it cuts down the time I have to waste buying and selling I could imagine I'd cover the cost.

Decent merchants should be able to adapt to changes anyways, if you could call it a skill.

I personally think this is a good idea, you could easiley buy something then immeadietly post it up, if anything, this will be even better for merchants.

But, I can't really say if this will ruin it or make it better until it actually comes out. :ohnoes:

Omg-1.jpg

Pk_i_n_y_o_u.png

Guest arkdemon

it'll drive prices down, players will buy the lowest price so other sellers will have to follow so yeah i think merchanting is gone :|

Anyone think that the items sold in exchange will be "taxed;" either from the buyers or sellers point of view. Seems like a good way to help decrease inflation. also will make sure merchenting is a little more useful after the update. For those who want to avoid it.

I'm glad it's coming out and I hope it does ruin merchanting because it is a stupid way to make money and I'm tired of seeing level 3's wearing party hats. Jagex I hope you ruin merchanting because then I'll praise you until Jesus returns to earth.

You sound like an idiot. Just being honest. :mrgreen:

I'm entitled to my opinion on this matter. I should be able to talk freely with being called an idiot just because my opinion may be different than yours

cheeseman896.png

cheeseman896.png

Anyone think that the items sold in exchange will be "taxed;" either from the buyers or sellers point of view. Seems like a good way to help decrease inflation. also will make sure merchenting is a little more useful after the update. For those who want to avoid it.

I agree. There might be some kind of fee for placing items on the GE. Easiest way I can think of is the game takes X% from the final sale price. so if you paid 100gp for each log the game would take possibly 10% (10 gp). If such happens then market prices will increase to reflect the % fee taken.

For those who don't want to pay the fee they can always merch it them selves. which will be slightly harder after the update.

Join PHATE (Party Hat Elimination) And help distroy all Phats in game!

it'll drive prices down, players will buy the lowest price so other sellers will have to follow so yeah i think merchanting is gone :|

So you admit that merchanters sell at rip-off prices?

Otherwise, it should be perfectly possible to make a profit under the new system - think of Real Life, sites like eBay act as Grand Exchange, and yet people make money just by buying and selling without actually making anything, why should it be any different on RuneScape?

Player will always buy at the lowest price, they always have - except that the lowest price was often the only price (when you're the only person selling it in a particular place), anyway, if you get the lowest price (which you can now do more easily) you can sell it for more (just a bit lower than the second-lowest price)

harold_king.png

Playing RS since Nov. 2002 (but with various breaks)

im very worried ive seen alot of metioning of the WoW aution house and i agree.

i no this game whic had a grand exchage equivelent since its start. over time deflation got so bad now everythig is only worth 1 coin. im worried that the same will happen in rs. however rs has the advatage of the abilty to loose/expend items whic both WOW and the other game lack in some respscts. i think that will keep undercutting each other to achive a sale untill evenually rs is ruind. if this starts to happen i hope jakex will have the sense to remove it. im worried very worried

we seem to forget the most inportent thing about Grand Exchange:

nearly NO MORE WORLD 2

My private chat is always ON.

Winner of The Tip.It Teamcape Outfit Contest!

6 years. 1 dragon CS drop and some barrows, bad luck?

99melee.jpg

I personnaly think that this kind of thing could either make or break the merchanting community. There are loads of great things about it, but there are also huge numbers of things that might have a negative effect. For example: If there are 500 people posting a rune scimitar, in order for person x to achieve a sale, he must put his price lower then any other on the board. Thus, price would slowly decend. 30k, 29.5k, 28k, 25.7k, 23.4k, 22.1k, 20.8k..... I am just not sure if this would be good or not... I am leaning towards "not" :cry: :( :cry:

Why not wait untill they bring out the update, before discussing? :?

We know almost nothing about it, and no-one besides Jagex knows what it'll be like.

well, a lot of people here have played games that use auction houses, and it's pretty clear from the bts how the system will work so there's still legitimate debate that can be made from what we know.

OT: i'll finally get round to clearing my bank of treasure trail stuff i couldnt be bothered to sell. :thumbsup:

i think it may push prices up on some things as people will be willing to put it in the house and wait for a sale instead of standing in w2 repeatedly typing, or maintaining a thread on the forums. At any rate, this looks like a great update.

YOU may know how it works, but the rest of us don't work at Jagex. It might be that when you put something on, IT determines the price. That would definetly ruin merchanting. However, from the bit that we DO know, it sounds like you might be able to but sets of items on it, not just individual items. If so, I wonder how that would work. I hope it's next weeks update.

the price of items are decreasing and i believe this grande exchange will slow the depreciation of prices. Since certain players wish to get rid of items they would sell cheap to merchenters. but with the GE they can put it at market price and wait and eventually someone will buy.

No matter what the merchents are going to feel the pain. No more cheap rune items to buy from me. no more thread bumping and forum posting to sell t trail or any other other rare items.

and i don't think theres gonna be taxes or else few people are going to use GE and it will defeat the purpose of making it in the first place.

lcchs.png

lcchs.png

im sorry if someones already mentioned this, as I havent had time to read the entire thread but:

This update could actually be very good for people who prefer gathering suplies and killing monsters to merchanting. Personly :evil: I HATE :evil: having to spend an hour or so in world 2, or trawling the forums looking for someone who wants to buy 500 rannar weeds - when i could be spending the time training herblaw with the irits ive colected while gathering ranars. How better to post them up on the exchange, and get on with doing something usefull while they sell themselves!

Yeah, you are right ....

.... Isn't it great? :XD:

Finally the skillers will get more money from working for their cash!

Goodbye lazy leeches (= merchanters)! \'

Speaking as both a merchanter and a skiller, i'll approach from two views.

To as skiller this might seem like a dream come true, merchanters supposedly disappearing and more money for the skiller. Or is it? Think about it...now all the high level players who make masses of items can expose their trades to the entire RS world. Meaning, high level players who don't care about money will sell super cheap, in huge masses, like hundreds of thousands even, making it impossible to make a decent profit skilling.

As a merchanter i wouldn't care less if the update existed or not. There's always money to be made in any society, especially since i expect the grand exchange will have autowins, and not a bidding system. So, some unknowing player puts up 1k coal for 150 ea, BAM, 50k easy profit for the first to complete the trade. Fools will always be parted with their money one way or another. BTW, its easy to buy a decent amount of low priced products, but its harder to buy or sell masses, the grand exchange just completely boosts that aspect for "merchanters", who now reach out to thousands at once, some of whom are bound to just go for the 1 quick trade and not wait hours to complete 100.

The economy always recovers from everything, the grand exchange won't be different.

I don't think this will solve auto talking. people will just stand outside the grand exchange, says "glow2"shake"go to iamautonub's shop! cheap prices all the time!"

FRONTPAGE.png

{DeviantART}{Last.Fm}{Join Sublime GFX, great community for artists!}

Back to RuneScape, Again.Avatar by Brian The Great