lock please

ego_scorpion

Personnaly, I thnik (and hope) it will work like a stock Market.ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâõ

THis is the simpliest way of automating the sale process.

With auctions it would be too big to keep (like now for forum Marketplace)

With a stockmarket, you just say what you want to buy/sell and at what price and you are advised whrn executed.

If you want to be executed rapidly, you just sell at price, if you can wait, you just let an order. Also no need to limit it to 1 day.

As simple as that.

For price evolutions, I think higher for well demanded itesm (like pure essences, nats, high level seeds...)

Lower for items like ring of recoil, low level seeds,ammy of strength, ... as many lying on high level player account hating losing a lot of time in selling stuffs

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To better explain how I see things, I'll use an example. I have level 84 herblore, which, as you can imagine, means I have made lots and lots of potions. Regardless of how I obtained the herbs for them (mostly by farming), I had to sell these potions.

Now, I have for example 700 super restores (3) for sale. I can post on the official forums I'm selling them at 8.5k or 9k each. If I do this I'll find buyers, but usually in quantities of 50 each - it's a good deal for someone who needs these pots so they'll take it.

However, I can also post to sell them at 8k ea if they are bought all at once. And, trust me on this one, I sell them almost instantly. The person who buys them is probably a merchant - (s)he'll try to sell them at 8.5k-10k each later but in smaller quantities.

Now, I prefer to sell the end result of my skills at a lower than normal price especially to appeal to merchants. This means I can sell faster and I don't "waste my time" trying to find buyers. IF the Exchange system will work as we imagine, then I won't need to do this. I can put my stuff for sale at the normal price (say 9k each) and forget about it. It will sell in bulks of 5 or 50, not all at once, but it will sell in the end... and during this I can do whatever I want with my time.

In my view, this Exchange system replaces the merchants, or at least some of them. Their existence was motivated by the time spent finding buyers/sellers... you were ready to pay more to buy in bulk, for example. If you don't spend any time finding buyers/sellers, you don't need to trade with them.

That is to say, of course inventive players will find means to take advantage of the new system :D We'll just have to wait and see...

103 combat | 1M+ xp in each skill (lvl73) | 1800+ skill total | quest cape

Level 86 herblore, 85 farming

To better explain how I see things, I'll use an example. I have level 84 herblore, which, as you can imagine, means I have made lots and lots of potions. Regardless of how I obtained the herbs for them (mostly by farming), I had to sell these potions.

Now, I have for example 700 super restores (3) for sale. I can post on the official forums I'm selling them at 8.5k or 9k each. If I do this I'll find buyers, but usually in quantities of 50 each - it's a good deal for someone who needs these pots so they'll take it.

However, I can also post to sell them at 8k ea if they are bought all at once. And, trust me on this one, I sell them almost instantly. The person who buys them is probably a merchant - (s)he'll try to sell them at 8.5k-10k each later but in smaller quantities.

Now, I prefer to sell the end result of my skills at a lower than normal price especially to appeal to merchants. This means I can sell faster and I don't "waste my time" trying to find buyers. IF the Exchange system will work as we imagine, then I won't need to do this. I can put my stuff for sale at the normal price (say 9k each) and forget about it. It will sell in bulks of 5 or 50, not all at once, but it will sell in the end... and during this I can do whatever I want with my time.

In my view, this Exchange system replaces the merchants, or at least some of them. Their existence was motivated by the time spent finding buyers/sellers... you were ready to pay more to buy in bulk, for example. If you don't spend any time finding buyers/sellers, you don't need to trade with them.

That is to say, of course inventive players will find means to take advantage of the new system :D We'll just have to wait and see...

Well written post, I certainly agree with the majority of what you wrote. I think the time factor will mean that there is still a market for merchants. Someone who wants to sell an item to generate some quick cash won't be happy to leave it there at market prices, hoping it sells eventually. They will undercut the market price a little to generate a quick sale. Dependant on how the system is implemented, I think there will still be a market for merchants, but I think that their margins will diminish.

chumley.png

I'd just like to add something ... just because there is an exchange to buy and sell stuff, this doesn't mean that everyone will only buy and sell there.

Say for example ... fishing lobsters at catherby, ppl will still sell lobsters there cheaply just because they can't be bothered to make the trip to the exchange for the sake of 100 lobsters.

And the ppl who want to get their cooking level up, may do that on the range next to the bank in Catherby. Why would they travel to the exchange in varrock and back just to buy lobsters off someone standing right next to them?

Is there a light at the end of the tunnel ...

Or is it just the front of an approaching train!

Here is my #1 concern.

I buy my things in banks. I type extremely fast so I dont need some idiotic virus infected auto typer. So when im spamming bank on what all im buying and get things cheap there I make my profit.

But if everyone constantly takes all their stuff to the great exchange then the only thing a person can do is constantly scan the exchange in hopes of somebody selling something at a wrong price.

Great exchange will essentialy kill merchanting im afraid.

Exactly what i'm thinking.

I dont usally merchant anymore but whenever i need something Merchanting is where i go.

But we'll just have to wait and see within the first week of the GE and then we can discuss again.

Epee-Signature-2.png

To the post above... why? Merchanting is an integral part of of Runescape economy. Do you just not like merchants, or what? Just curious. :-s

idk about him and you. but i hate merchs SOOOOOOOOOOO much -.-

i think it make the prices more stable :)

My private chat is always ON.

Winner of The Tip.It Teamcape Outfit Contest!

6 years. 1 dragon CS drop and some barrows, bad luck?

99melee.jpg

I guarantee it will diminish the cost of the most expensive rares, and more than likely, most items in Runescape. I don't think people realize how readily available a lot of items are especially crackers, phats, disks, half-wines, etc. I see posts on here time from time predicting the amount of crackers in the game at 50 - 500, and I guarantee you will see quite a few crackers get put into the Grand Tree market initially set at 1 bil. These won't sell for a few days and the price will drop down week-by-week until it stablizies at a price that will be shocking to most people.

Quote my post for truth in a couple months.

~ Arcane Rift ~

:: 99 Smithing - 2007-03-04 ::

::
:: 99 Crafting - 2007-06-18 :: 99 Fletching - 2007-08-27 ::

:: 99 Strength - 2009-05-28 ::

:: 99 Prayer - 2011-11-27 ::
:: 99 Slayer - 2012-01-15 ::

:: 99 Summoning - 2012-12-07 :: 99 Firemaking - 2012-12-09 :: 99 Woodcutting - 2013-01-17 :: 99 Mining - 2013-01-31 ::

I'm really worried, I run a chain of shops in the market ... looks at sig ... and what if people stop ordering in my shop cause they can get it cheaper and faster from the exchange .... this is really annoying.

It makes it easier for you to sell and buy stuff too, though, right?

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

I'm really worried, I run a chain of shops in the market ... looks at sig ... and what if people stop ordering in my shop cause they can get it cheaper and faster from the exchange .... this is really annoying.

It makes it easier for you to sell and buy stuff too, though, right?

Yes but forum shops and established companies will suffer from it.

All I can see it harming merchanting wise is selling monks, sharks, and super potions at edgeville for increased prices. :-k

Most likely it will either make it much harder, or impossible whatsoever. :wall:

Special Thanks to 4be2jue for making this wonderful sig!

wizardyc5.png

It will make merchanting easier, more automated. It will also allow short-term monopolies.

If you have ever played WoW, people easily make money with the Auction House. The Grand Exchange is most likely to be similar to that, so it will still allow people to make money off of it. It won't be like any of the times you buy something ridiculously cheap, since people don't always know the price, then sell it ridiculously expensive for the same reason.

It will help and hurt the merchanting economy, but merchanting will still be possible, and easier to do, but possibly less profit for each trade. It might lead to more people merchanting since it will allow you to go do something else while your items are up on the Grand Exchange.

Kaejer.png

Having played a different MMORPG where there was both active person to person trading and a "mall" system. That system was where basically people had "stores" and placed items in whatever quantities and whatever prices they wished. Buyers access the mall via a search screen, where they search for the lowest 5 or so prices in the mall. In this case, each store functions as a new inventory/bank, but that was a moot point given infinite "bank" space.

Basically, the economy is entirely controlled by supply and demand. Things that can be obtained anywhere, and at any time, become really cheap, while harder to obtain items fall but not as much. The buyer in such a situation usually has the advantage, but it all does depend on quantities demanded and supplied.

My theorized results, as GE hasn't come out yet, is that prices will fall and arbitrage will recede though not completely fade.

Yeah, and how are we supposed to know when we got around 4 lines of text about it?

Just wait until the update comes, please :/.

Good lord the question was simple: Will it ruin merchanting or not?

It's an opinion question that involves discussion. Why the heck do we need to wait until it comes out before discussing? I hate when people leave replies like this :roll: .

RS Name: Zibl || Click Signature for my RS Life Story!

ziblretieredwarriorchicpc7.jpg

[ 87 Combat ] [ 1240 Total ] [ Ex-RSC Professional Merchant ]

12.20.01 - 10.5.05 || Status: Retired

Total losses in 5 years = just over 630 million gp (BILLIONS in today's prices)

I can foresee a whole new type of rant on the RSOF: the 'typo-rant'.

'OMG Jadex, I made typo in price and n0w my 50k sharks sold for 100 each instead of 1k. You blow! I want my sharkz back else IM stopping my 40 memberz accountzzzzzz.'

Anyways, I wonder how it's going to work. Unlike when dealing person to person, a typo in an auction house can have some pretty bad consequences. Or lots of opportunities for merchants, depending on how you look at it.

When dealing with one person, there's some margin for error (second trade screen, can try ask for your money back). With an auction house, you are dealing with thousands of players: if you put up a wrong order it may be filled before you can blink your eyes.

(Yes, they will probably put up a confirmation screen first before your trade hits the market)

Depending on how many orders you can put up, everyone could do something like this, taking advantage of others mistakes (doom scenario):

'Dutchdreams buying 10k sharks at 1 each'

'Dutchdreams buying 10k sharks at 2 each'

'Dutchdreams buying 10k sharks at 3 each'

'Dutchdreams buying 10k sharks at 500 each'

DutchDreams.png

I think it will make merching less profitable because people like myself who do not like to merch sell low and buy high. I don't like wasting time sitting in front of a bank so I usually buy and sell at forum prices which is generally in the post authors favor. I don't want to take the time to sell each of my treasure trail zammy pages for 200k ea so whoever I sell it to for 150k makes a merch profit. Now however, I can just post on GE and it can sell itself. How convinient for items I do not want but don't want to take the time to sell.

nopheo.png

Nopheo.png

Sell your stuff now. Wait for el Grande Exchange to come up. Buy your stuff at the lowest prices you can find. Sell again for higher. The End.

That's basically what we merchanters do right now, innit? Personally, I think it'll actually speed the process up, because you can buy things immediately. instead of

'Flash3:wave:buying whip 1.33 Kazel!'

like I always do in World2.

Kaze_the_Ace.png

Kaze_the_Ace.png

Kaze_the_Ace.png

SLAYERGEEK

i don't think merchants will go extinct, just go onto the threatened or endangered species list

people may still merchant certain items, people may not like the prices that people want for a certain item, and want to haggle down the price, so world 2, i'm betting, will still be pretty crowded

I've been noticing that recently, Jagex is trying to get people to use their skills more for making money, rather then merchanting. I'm looking forward to this update as it makes it much easier for me since I don't merchant. I personally don't like merchanting but I can see how this update hurts/helps them.

fizaru1534.png

HOBOS OWN