lock please

ego_scorpion

Later in the month, we bring you the 'Grand Exchange'. This new building will be located in the north-west of Varrock and will house a huge new addition to the game: the ability to offer items to buy and sell across ALL servers and to ALL players! You might, for example, go to the Exchange and put a full Barrows set up for sale - then, playing Skullball in Canifis, you might get a message telling you that they have sold and that you can go to the nearest bank to receive payment! The Grand Exchange will allow you to spend more time on the things you enjoy, providing a less time-consuming alternative to selling your items on the Forums or amongst the crowds of Varrock Marketplace.

This won't kill merchanting...this will GREATLY HELP IT! selling items across runescape worlds at your price? thats like...the forums in game!!!

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just pointing a few things out.

The post from Jagex says nothing about the Grand Exchange being an auction system. It says "the ability to offer items to buy and sell across ALL servers and to ALL players", it dose not say auction. So why assume it will be? :?:

It doesn't really matter all that much whether it will be a sale system / auction system (which is how I referred to it for simplicity) or an actual bid/ask exchange system. The latter would IMO, for transparency AND convenience, be preferred, so if it's really going to be that, even more kudos to Jagex.

The next point is percentage issue. The post says nothing about that. Again, why assume we'll have to pay anything? :-k

Well, since it says nothing about it, why assume you won't have to pay anything. ;) We'll just have to await and see how the system will work exactly when it is implemented.

This won't kill merchanting...this will GREATLY HELP IT! selling items across runescape worlds at your price? thats like...the forums in game!!!

Exactly - without all the nasty spamming, bumping and price manipulative posts. :)

Lastly the anti rare item conspiracy theory. If Jagex wanted to get rid of party hats and the like, they could do it in minutes by just deleting the code from the game and saying it was all just a bad idea. Or they could make them all un-tradable. Or they could just buy them all up and end them that way. Why would they spend all the time and money on a new update as large and complex as a network wide exchange system? :wall:

I didn't mean to suggest that the GE was solely for the purpose of removing rares.

I did mean to suggest that it would make it easy for Jagex to buy rares from people who wanted to sell, perhaps even surreptitiously and without spooking the market.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Exactly - without all the nasty spamming, bumping and price manipulative posts.

Not to mention lamers like the one that just told me to go to greaters cave with my 2 mil gp. :( Trying to scam/lure a poor legit player like me is going to be a thing of the past once we have auction/trade house.

P.S. I didn't fall for it.

Great idea, this basically cuts through all the "hey, are you still selling that ___ you mentioned on the forum?" "no soz" crap so you actually know when somebody is selling something, when they actually have it, and when they're ready to sell.

I'm failing to see how this will hurt merchanting, I guess there will still be some spur-of-the-moment buyers who merchants will be able to make money off of because they're not willing to walk to the GE. And there's people who are just ignorant to how much the price of a certain item dropped and willingly pay for the merchanter's profits.

Since that's basically what merchanting is, buy low from desperate people, sell high to desperate people.

Here's to hoping the Grand Exchange isn't some sort of lightning-speed race, I wouldn't like to see every time I move my mouse to buy an item it was nabbed by someone else because it was such a great deal. That could be problematic once someone has bought out all the good deals and is now selling everything at an inflated price.

Officially retired on 12/10/07, no drop parties because that might be "covertly trading wealth". What does one person's happiness(until they quit) mean compared to the hours I wasted while runecrafting, anyways?

I think whether merchanting is affected will be determined by what sort of auction house it will be. If it is really an auction house, when a person puts up an item, he chooses an amount of time, and then the item does not sell until that time is up. That way, people can bid the max they want to pay, while the seller gets the max profit. There may be a "reserve price" feature where the auction is ended early if a certain price is bid. If this is the case, I think merchanting will decline slightly, since the same items will always be up and players keep looking at them.

Naturally, if this happens, that also means there will be people who want to sell their items RIGHT NOW. That, in turn, means autotalkers will stay.

The other kind would be an "auction house" (notice the quotes). The player sets a time limit for the item to be shown in the GE, but as soon as someone decides to "bid", they get that item. Period. In other words, it would be like a general store where the seller gets more money than usual when they sell an item. If this happens, I think merchanting will go up slightly, since everyone wants to get rid of their items quickly.

Btw, I would rather have the second kind because there would be more items for sale than in the other one.

Cool%20Xy.png

I'm 100% free-to-play!!!

Message me, private chat is always on. :)

Lastly the anti rare item conspiracy theory. If Jagex wanted to get rid of party hats and the like, they could do it in minutes by just deleting the code from the game and saying it was all just a bad idea. Or they could make them all un-tradable. Or they could just buy them all up and end them that way. Why would they spend all the time and money on a new update as large and complex as a network wide exchange system? :wall:

I didn't mean to suggest that the GE was solely for the purpose of removing rares.

I did mean to suggest that it would make it easy for Jagex to buy rares from people who wanted to sell, perhaps even surreptitiously and without spooking the market.

They can do that now. All they have to do is use the dummy accounts they already have and hang out at Varrock's bank for an hour. Not all of the Jagex accounts have gold crowns, only the ones they want you and I to see. They can buy up whatever they want and nobody would have any idea. Why would they go to all this trouble to do something the can do now?

On other point, this update is not going to replace the old trade system, it's an addition to it. There's nothing stopping anyone from standing around world 2 all day, selling stuff. You will stand out a little more than now, but you can still do it. This might actually help out some merchants by removing competition from people (like me) who only sell things on occasion.

***Happily poking bears, kicking cubs and petting bobcats since 1967***

eagleglobeanchorke1.gifc975dbbbcb.png eagleglobeanchorke1.gif

violent069oe7.gif Who says smileys are always happy? gunfight32zm4.gifmortarox0.gif

it could turn merchanting into a stock market of sorts, merches buying up alot of items, then sellign when noone else is....

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

The Grand Exchange won't really work to well. People will put ashes and random junk up for sale which will clog up the marketplace.

The real reason I think JAGeX implemented this is to help stop the auto-talkers.

ashes are great for using those unused tarromins sitting in you're bank :D

Players will still prefer to do person to person trading in some cases, where they can discuss the prices.

POG3.jpg

Pretty much what Dragon said.

Thread terminated.

I guess that means I'm the thread Terminator?

No Tip.Iters were harmed in the making of this post.

As others have pointed out, it really will depend on the format of the Exchange. Depending on whether it's an auction system or just store system, merchants may or may not still have the ability to create and capitalize upon price diversity.

The one thing I hope they include is a filter/search -- the bank alone has been needing one since ever; imagine tens of thousands of people's items all at once #-o

complete_sig_phase2_smaller-1.jpg

Guerialla.png

ccwwol3.png

dont think so

i think it could help merchanters

miph4.png

[spoiler=Old info]Quest Point Cape Acheived:14 October 07 4:30pm GMT+10 .

15108th to 99 Firemaking: 2 October 08 8:15pm GMT+10

Barrows Drops: Verac Flail, Verac Plateskirt x3, Guthan helm, Ahrim Robetop,

Karil top, Torag plate, Dharok plate, Dharok axe. 1900+ total lvl

Dragon Drops: 6: Dragon Legs (iron dragon), Dragon Spear(shadow warrior), Dragon Pickaxe(4)

DK Drops: Warrior Ring(2)

Bandos Drops: Tassets