lock please

ego_scorpion

I personally think that they should do something like the following:

All items being sold should be totaled up by some type of jagex system, and then averaged. Then, no player can sell there item for below this average, And if this works out fine, little after they should make the update where no player can sell it for a certain percent higher then the average, a percent would work nice considering items are so varied in price, and not a number. If

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i personally am of two minds on this proposal, on one hand it will eliminate the tiresome task of merchanting for me and allow numerous people to be able to buy and sell things with easy, on the other hand this could lower prices, and merchanting has been part of runescape for ages, and what if annoying people flood this grand exchange thingo with junk (like thousands of tinder boxes, bronze axes and logs)...... i think the updates have been going down the drain abit lately but, i think pessimistically about basically everything

!*!~If you can read, good for you if you can also write use this as your signature~!*!

I hope this does ruin merchanting. Ive always thought of merchanting as a bit scummy, especially when the more hard to find items are gobbled up by merchants as soon as they become available leaving much of the stock in merchants hands.

I have always disliked merchanting and support any actions jagex takes that allows me to bypass a transaction with a merchant. One example was jagex making vials unlimited in shops. Merchants were selling these for stupid prices and it was a great fix.

Currently I think merchants take advantage of the relatively poor buying/selling communication that this game has. Streamlining the process will literally eliminate the middle man. Sorry middle man, go play the game and work on some skills to make cash instead of standing around typing.

Jagex failed miserably the past few months. Each update keeps getting more lame. Merchanting will become harder and more slow, but the way I see it for now, they are combining the general store and the marketplace from the forums together.

sina_j.png

Hacked on January 5, 2007 --> Lost: 56.4M, Santa Hat, Purple Partyhat, Green Partyhat, Christmas Cracker

people who get rich and do it legit like joob and I always get f'd over in the end.

I personally like the idea of this update. Having played RS for 4 years now on and off I always hated trying to get to world 2 to buy pray pots or sharks or anything else I needed or even to sell something.

As I am not a merchant (no time for it I have a busy real life) and the only item I want again is impossible (purple phat) I would never merchant.

I think this will be great for the average game player who cares less about money an more about playing.

As for the merchant I am sure they will find ways to make their money. They always do.

personally I'll hold onto my rare, simply because even if there is a price dip, I'll still make money in the long run. I'd rather keep it and have no risk and have the price go up than take a big risk with a chance of making money off it quickly. Especially since I'm not in a money squeeze right now.

what he said tbh. I have the time to let it rot in my bank because I know in the long run I'll profit. Although, I could put them up for 100m each and see what happens :D

So, during this month (maybe next week), Jagex will give us an update we've been asking for years: grand exchange. With this update you can put your items into a "flea market" and train while they are being sold. I've been thinking the positive and negative sides of this update for a while and came up with the following:

* Certain hard to sell items, such as gold bars, will be easier to sell: you can offer them for everyone and anyone who has a need for maybe just a few, will instantly find them. If we take a closer look up on gold bars, this leads into a situation where it becomes easier to get rid of unwanted ending productions. Because of this, smelting gold will become a better way to train smithing and might affect to the gold ore prices. Same goes with stuff like fish, jewelry, certain smithables and so on.

* With this update, people who have the habit of mass producing goods will get more time for that: in future we might see more dirty rich people who have gotten their wealth from collecting items: now the time formula for getting money is (trained time + sold items = money/H) but after the update it will turn out to be just (trained time = money/h). For example miners, hunters, fishers, herblorists and woodcutters can now concentrate fully on training and don't need to waste time on selling the items.

* Merchants will now have harder times to buy massive amounts of goods for a cheaper price as with this update, people who sell stuff have in theory over 100k buyers at once instead of one. I personally assume that merchanting will change into a more rare item concerned thing as the supply of discontinued items won't rise with this.

* As expensive discontinued item (phats, crackers, half wines, maybe even masks) supply won't really rise (if you got an unneeded rare at the moment, you will sell it a lot easier than you will for example 100k unwanted gold bars) but more people are gaining wealth from this update, I assume there will be a jump in rare item prices. Maybe not next week, but within months when people have managed to sell their unwanted hard-to-sell items and gotten more training time.

* With the bigger markets and more theoretical customers&competitors, the prices of raw materials, armours and other non-discontinued items will stabilize even more. With this update you won't be able to get extra high prices anymore for your goods as the potential buyers have more alternatives to choose from. However this works backwards too: your competitors can't try to knock you out by reducing prices as there's so many potential buyers. If he reduces his prices enough, his items won't be at the markets for long competing against yours but there will still be potential buyers.

* Currently there's a little gab between f2p and p2p prices as the people with money are mainly in p2p and the raw material produces are in f2p. This can be noticed when jumping between crowded non-merchant works between f2p and p2p and comparing yew log, ore or nature rune prices for example. With this update the markets will be the same for everyone, so I assume this gab will vanish.

The main question is that is this a good update? In my eyes it's certainly what this game needs. It takes away the boring part of skilling (buying and selling), it stabilizes prices and if done well, it also reduces scamming. It also takes away the gab between f2p and p2p prices as now the markets will be the same for everyone.

signaturehoh.jpg

I'd rather die for what I believe in than live for anything else.

Name Removed by Administrator ~Turtlefemm

Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't Jagex state that when you put an item into the Exchange that you can go off and it will notify you that it has sold and your money will be automatically be sent to you?

Cause i was thinking... Say that i put a Mystic Hat into the Exchange. Then i go for a walk or something. What if my hat is never sold? I will not get the money and my hat will be stuck in the Exchange. Now no doubt as soon as i press "Submit" there will be millions of comments stating i'm wrong or solving my problem.

But hey isn't that what idiots like me are for?

/m\_(-.-)_/m\

"The sort of twee person who thinks swearing is any way a sign of lack of education or of a lack of verbal interest is just [bleep]ing lunacy" ~ Stephen Fry

LuMengjr.jpg

unless jagex sets a limit on the amount of items you can put in the auction house, merchanting will probably be changed, but in my opinion itll be a positive change, and price manipulation will become A LOT less significant of a problem. for one, there wont be people who will try to haggle your prices and try to lower them, then turn around and sell it for a jacked up price(in front of you even). instead, merchanting will become a more honest way of making money, where you look for someone whos intending on selling underpriced, buy thier things, and sell it for a higher price than they sold for, but not so high that nobody will buy it when they look at the price for the first time. just my opinion on this, but theres always world 2 and the rsof for people to merchant on.

on a side note: YAY world 2 wont be so impossible to get into now \'

618f3afbcf.png

Merchanting is still possible anyways, it'll just be different. And this could even give those uber-rich merchants more contrl of the market.

(my 2cents on that subject)

And as for the F2P and P2P interaction, it may not even happen if Jagex doesn't provide this update for F2P.

icecube7.jpeg

I don't think it will ruin merchanting. Maybe it will help it, and while you are merchanting you can be catching up on those "forgotten" skills because u spent all your time in World 2 trying to sell something. But as always it could come out and completely mess up merchanting and make it an even harder less prifatable way of making money.

But hey there just my opinions :XD:

RIP Michaelangelopolous

I really do not see how there would be a price dip. Anyone who sells anything will just put the price that they want.

Even if there is another player selling the same thing cheaper, why make yours cheaper? That person will sell theirs quicker, yes. But why does it matter? You can just go and do something else until your item is bought. No need to rush to sell it cheaper.

niall+kay.png

niall+kay.png

Niall+Kay.png

Hunting with my Home Made Bows

~~99 Fletch~~ ~~86 Hunter~~

Merchanting is still possible anyways, it'll just be different. And this could even give those uber-rich merchants more contrl of the market.

(my 2cents on that subject)

And as for the F2P and P2P interaction, it may not even happen if Jagex doesn't provide this update for F2P.

merchanting is going to be completely wiped out except for rare/discontinued merchanting.

even that slightest random person out there might want some quick cash and has like 10 dds's in his bank and sells one for 20k because he sees something cheap that he wants on the grand exchange.

prices on ALL items that are not rares will fall.

Bbc_3.gif

4000000657th to 99 cookin

555555406th to 99 flethcin

There is one thing you dont seem to realise...

YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE THE EXCHANGE

NORMAL TRADING CAN STILL GO ON :!:

Not exactly...

Merchanters: want to use person-person trades

Skillers: want to use GE

Merchanters make their money leeching off trades like this:

Seller ----> Leeching Merchanter -----> Buyer :evil:

Now it will be like this:

Seller -- GE --> Buyer :twisted:

(Gives more money to the seller and the buyer)

So, merchanters need skillers for money, but skillers will only want to use GE (it gives them more money), so outside the GE, there will be very few trades, because only a few skillers will be stupid enough to sell on forums or in banks.

But: little stock and high demands => high prices.

It's a WIN-WIN situation: if skillers use GE, merchanters are cut out; if they don't, they will get high prices.

==> Bye Bye merchanting! \'

Well that's your opinion/speculation.

I still believe it will still exist because people will always be looking for quick cash and will sell underprice. And those merchants who are uber-rich now have the opportunity to create monopolies on items easier, not that they will, because it's still risky.

Anyways, we should continue that discussion if the right thread:

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=712 ... sc&start=0

icecube7.jpeg