lock please

ego_scorpion

I don't think it will ruin merchanting at all. But instead of sitting in world 2 now, merchants will be sitting in the exchange waiting for bargains so they can put those items up for higher prices.

I think this is true to some extent, but it will have an impact on merchanting anyway. The new exchange is also going to greatly increase the liquidity of certain thin markets, which will make it more difficult for merchants to take advantage of the lone seller who needs cash fast, or the lone buyer who needs an item fast.

But then it will also make it easier for merchants to buy out the the person who is selling for just a bit less and sell it for their price. This might drive the prices on certain items up.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I already know what I am going to do in preparation for this :)

Im done with this thread, there is obviously 3 kinds of people posting in it.

1. clueless people whome merchants took advantage of that are gloating now

2. indifferent people and mercahnts, who seem optimistic

3. vulchurs, aka me, as someone put it. I think this update will hurt my $ making greatly, but what can you do.

Have fun discussing the subject further, im done.

Game Name: Ego Scorpion

Party Hat Sets: 4

Bank Pictures: http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=712645&start=0

ego_scorpion.png

Merchanting shouldn't even be a way to make money in the first place. Merchanting is pretty much scamming. You find some fool who doesn't know the price of something and buy low sell high. Or take advantage of someone wanting to sell an item quickly. Seriously people should have to make honest money by pking, dueling, killing monsters, or off of skills. I hate merchants.

Merchanting shouldn't even be a way to make money in the first place. Merchanting is pretty much scamming. You find some fool who doesn't know the price of something and buy low sell high. Or take advantage of someone wanting to sell an item quickly. Seriously people should have to make honest money by pking, dueling, killing monsters, or off of skills. I hate merchants.

As person grows up he learns to control his emotions, but you are one of those people I would gladly tell off.

Just because you were taken advantage off due to poor knoweldge of prices, it does not give you any right to downtalk mercahnts.

Dont hate what you cant do.

You are a big hypocrate. Talking about taking advantage of people who dont know prices. What about pkers taking advantage of people? What about duelers who cheat and scam and take advantage of people?

If you have no job and can afford to skill 24/7 to make $ that doesnt mean others can, merchnating is an alternative for those who want a lot of money quickly and have the brain to do it.

Game Name: Ego Scorpion

Party Hat Sets: 4

Bank Pictures: http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=712645&start=0

ego_scorpion.png

I believe there's a clear distinction between merchants who get paid to provide a service, and those who merely take advantage of others, or the inability of the current system to let buyers and sellers find each other.

The former are reasonable, because they effectively trade their time for money. The latter are simply vultures, and if a new update puts them out of business, it's good for the vast majority of players and for the game as a whole.

+1

My thoughts exactly.

Good riddance to those *bleep*ing scalpers.

Post your thoughts here. Personally, im really worried, I am afraid that with the addition of grand exchange, or "world of warcraft version of auction house" merchanting will slowly die out and a lot of merchants will suffer.

Im really worried about this, but I may be wrong.

you will have to adapt to the situation if you wish to merchant with this update. If it's anything like WoW's auction house system you will still be able to merchant so don't be a silly fool and start to singe that you can't make money from other people now.

This is one of the updates that I've wanted in RS for a VERY long time (along side the idea of a mail-box in game, yes like WoW) Don't shed tears over the loss of possibly merchanting opportunities because there will be a lot and then again, merchanting isn't a "key" part of RS it;s just a side factor just like the unwritten rules (IE: don't mine other people's rocks)

this could be one of runescape's best updates given a few weeks for the kinks to be sorted out!

2hwcu83.jpg

I believe there's a clear distinction between merchants who get paid to provide a service, and those who merely take advantage of others, or the inability of the current system to let buyers and sellers find each other.

The former are reasonable, because they effectively trade their time for money. The latter are simply vultures, and if a new update puts them out of business, it's good for the vast majority of players and for the game as a whole.

~q

Amen, brother.

If they make the Exchange available to F2P and P2P, it will end a lot of the scamming and advantage-taking that goes on. I was talking to someone last night who mined a bunch of ores and "advanced" them to his "buyer" - to be paid after the ores were smithed and sold.

Of course, he got scammed for the ores.

I am going to temper my enthusiasm a bit - after all, Jagex disappointed me with the shop update despite the glowing anticipation I had.

Anything that reduces forum churn and login-server thrashing should benefit everyone though.

If there is some mechanism in the Exchange that shows suggested prices for items, it could put price guides out of business. :-k

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

I think it will make merchanting harder. A lot of what merchanting is right now is buying in lower amounts for low prices, then selling to people who want it in bulk for higher. Basically the merchants search for it then sell it to the people who don't feel like searching. With the update, they will be able to find items for the cheaper prices just as easily as more expensive prices.

As someone who has never merchanted and sees it in negative light, I can only hope this update eliminates it. :)

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

Merchanting will still be a good way of making money just people will be able to get some good deals there and then instead of wasting time on world 2. Looks like its going to be an interesting update that will save me alot of time

Sn'C Events Team Member

2v2bjuq.jpg

pixel-sig-1.gif

942nd to 99 hunter 2/8/07|26,042nd to reach 99 fletching 27/10/07|Quest Cape Achieved 22/1/08|50,000th to 99 Cooking 29/10/08

Dagannoth King Drops: 7 Zerkers 2 Axes 3 Warriors | Armadyl: 1 hilt first ever trip and kill | Barrows: 2 Dharok Legs 1 Ahrim Skirt 1 Torag Helm 1 Guthan Spear

Won't change a thing.

Think about it... what do merchants do? Buy low and sell high of course!

How do they do this? They either go through their friendslist or get lucky and run into players they don't know who are selling at a low price, most commonly in a crowded market world.

What will change?

Merchants can live at this new Exchange building searching for good deals, then relist items for a higher price and still turn their profit, while still buying things threw old aquantences and people they run across who haven't put the items into the new Exchange system yet.

Merchants make their money off of noob who don't know prices, people who need quick cash and will sell low to get it, or people who haven't played in a while and don't know prices.

These groups aren't going anywhere... they will still be around. Merchants will just do less face to face business...

~Dave

In almost complete retirement.

goodbye0vx.png

one anwser, bye bye nub pures with dbow and ranger set :D

im wondering why this was said.

just like other games, alot of ppl think they can sell items for 300000 times the price now.

so what? when this rolls around im going to stick an item in their for 2.1bil, probably something dumb like torag hammers. but you mean people who really think its worth that.

The only worry i have is that this feature may be bugged quite badly at the beginning and given the nature of it, people could lose millions. I'm sure Jagex will do all they can to test it but I'm equally sure when 100k people use it theres going to be problems.

As for merchanting, Jagex doesn't want people to merchant really, they want people to you know PLAY the game, not try and make money by buying cheap selling high, this isn't a stock market simulation.

Yknow what i think is going to happen?i think this will just make merchants with all the cash richer because they can manipulate the prices across all the servers and not just w2 or the other trading worlds.thats my 2 cents but its just gonna save so much time.sell the tt stuff ill never use and put it in the auction house and just go back to slaying \'

tifsdac6mc.gif

The only worry i have is that this feature may be bugged quite badly at the beginning and given the nature of it, people could lose millions. I'm sure Jagex will do all they can to test it but I'm equally sure when 100k people use it theres going to be problems.

As for merchanting, Jagex doesn't want people to merchant really, they want people to you know PLAY the game, not try and make money by buying cheap selling high, this isn't a stock market simulation.

perhaps, but dont you think this could have come earlier if they truly thought that? or has merchanting suddenly hit a high priority.

Yknow what i think is going to happen?i think this will just make merchants with all the cash richer because they can manipulate the prices across all the servers and not just w2 or the other trading worlds.thats my 2 cents but its just gonna save so much time.sell the tt stuff ill never use and put it in the auction house and just go back to slaying \'

Very true krissy boy :P Saves alot of time and you can do things whiel you wait for someone to put an offer on your items. No more scanning forums and major bumping :)

Sn'C Events Team Member

2v2bjuq.jpg

pixel-sig-1.gif

942nd to 99 hunter 2/8/07|26,042nd to reach 99 fletching 27/10/07|Quest Cape Achieved 22/1/08|50,000th to 99 Cooking 29/10/08

Dagannoth King Drops: 7 Zerkers 2 Axes 3 Warriors | Armadyl: 1 hilt first ever trip and kill | Barrows: 2 Dharok Legs 1 Ahrim Skirt 1 Torag Helm 1 Guthan Spear

I forsee one possibly BIG problem - MONOPOLY

With Runescape's entire supply market located in one store, what is to prevent one of the wealthy players from buying 100% of a certain resource? They could effectively gain a monopoly on that market and manipulate prices.

What do others think about this? I'm no Economics major, but I have taken the university class and this seems like a possible problem. We all know that JAGeX doesn't always think things through ahead of time. One possible solution I can think of is having a limit on how much each player can buy a month, of say 500million gp per day. This would hinder the phat trading market, but little beyond that.

perhaps, but dont you think this could have come earlier if they truly thought that? or has merchanting suddenly hit a high priority.

It's not like Jagex HATES merchants I just think that they never really thought through buying and selling en mass because they never saw the game progressing to the point where people had say 50k blood runes to sell, now we've been at the point where your AVERAGE scaper has several tons of stuff worth 10's of millions in their banks and they want a way for people to be able to exchange this without 'merchanting' or dealing with merchants. That's plaintively obvious because we have this update coming, its suggests Jagex isn't best friends with merchants. It also suggests as has every update for years that Jagex are trying to remove annoyance from the experience. Merchanting(and selling/buying) IS annoying thats why people can make such massive amounts of money by doing it-because others don't want to stand in banks all day.

one anwser, bye bye nub pures with dbow and ranger set :D
How will this update remove drop trading?

Im optimistic about this update. It should provide an easy way of buying and selling items. It may be hard on merchants but thats just tough; it should benefit the majority of runescape players.

GF TIF.

9 November 2006 - 22 January 2008, when I could no longer stand the painted turd that is the Tip.It community. Only posting in rants.

Any update which even slightly affects merchanters in a bad way is a great update.

HERE'S TO THE END OF MERCHANTING! \'

Amen

Aulderic.png

I've killed over 20,000 dust devils while training to 99 attack and have still not gotten a dragon chain.